Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Steel Ball Run is amazing and anyone who says otherwise is objectively wrong. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm reading through part 4 for the first time after catching up with JoJolion and it's interesting to come across the parallels and references, like Kira's clippings and taking part of his wardrobe to the manufacturer to find out who he is. I have to say I'm having a lot more fun with Diamond is Unbreakable, though. At least until I hit the DUWANG scans. Now I don't know if I should power through them or just wait until there's better ones out.

Oh, and the Highway Star arc was amazing. Josuke's like Joseph Jr. in his craziness. Well, I guess he IS...

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

SBR might just be my favorite part of the series, just easing out 4 and 2 (anime version).

I finally got around to finishing part 5 and reading part 6. I enjoyed 5 more than I thought I would and enjoyed 6 less than I thought I would.
5 had a kind of dull plot and forgettable enemies. Giorno wasn't entirely uninteresting but didn't bring much to the table aside from a neat power, though. What I really ended up liking was the characters. Mista, Bruno, and Narancia were really enjoyable and while Diavolo wasn't the most threatening or well-developed villain, Doppio was interesting and using objects and animals as phones never really got old. I was surprisingly okay with Turtlereff too.

Part 6 on the other hand started off really solid and I enjoyed the core cast a lot. The enemy stands started to get a bit too convoluted though, and not many of the villains-of-the-day were memorable either. Pucci was an interesting villain, though it seemed a bit strange that Dio let some 16 year old church boy become a trusted ally. The flashbacks that it shows seem to portray them as friends, but just based on what we know of Dio's character from the other parts I can only assume that there was a high level of manipulation going on. Dio/Jonathan's bones and everything that unfolded from there was really strange and came out of left field. I think it's around that time that the plot started stumbling a bit. Why did the bone turn people into plants and become a homunculus thing? I'm assuming it was some kind of fail safe Dio had in case he died, but why that method? What did he do to Jonathan's bones that let him use that ability? I'm assuming that the chant of meaningless words were a password of sorts to make sure not just anyone could use the baby, but... Well, I don't know. That whole part just didn't make a lot of sense. Then there was the whole thing with Dio's 3 other sons that popped up out of nowhere. They were just random mooks despite technically being Joestars, while the fact that Giorno was Dio/Jonathan's son was treated as a huge deal by Jotaro. And speaking of Giorno, what the hell was he doing during this? It seemed like the plot point was set up for him to enter the fray or at least cameo but all we get is a hint in one of Dio's other son's profiles that Giorno might be in Florida already. I think Giorno helping to save the day would have been great. Have him set Made in Heaven to 0 while Jolyne and maybe Emporio/Weather take down Pucci.

That said it was still enjoyable in the end, all though I had expected the new world to be the Steel Ball Run one rather than a slightly different version of the original timeline. I guess this way you could still have your favorite characters alive, albeit with different names.

So... has Araki ever commented on some of the odder plot elements or issues? Namely Dio's second(?) coffin, Giorno and the other 3 sons, the green baby, the new universe, or anything else?

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 6, 2013

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

So I finished reading Stone Ocean a few weeks back and I'm curious about the ending and how it leads into Steel Ball Run.

Okay, so Pucci's Made in Heaven can fast forward reality into infinity until he finds a statistical copy of the current world and any existing creatures from the previous world will pop into the current one. However, for some reason, Pucci didn't want Emporio to defeat him until at least after the Cape Canaveral incident because I guess since it is a statistical copy, the world will no matter what end at Cape Canaveral and if Pucci isn't there for it then the world will just fast forward into infinity again and if/when it stops he couldn't guarantee it'd be another statistical copy of the current world? Am I understanding that right? And then Emporio ends up in another version of Earth with Annakis and Irene and they all go on a trip with this world's Hermes saying they need to stop off at Cape Canaveral, which I guess means that the world will end there maybe but since Pucci isn't around for it then either time will continue as normal or time will speed up until the next iteration of the universe even if it isn't an exact copy, leading to the world of Steel Ball Run?

Do I have that right or am I completely off the mark here?

AFAIK there's no official word that the world of Steel BAll Run is the one that Pucci created. I could be wrong about this but I believe Steel Ball Run was originally billed as its own series that was based on the JoJo characters and rules that had been established and only later did it become known as part 7. Most people assume that one universe leads into the other but I don't think there's anything official suggesting it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Did You Know? Pizza Hut has operated in Japan since 1973. Stardust Crusaders takes place in 1989. I -really- want to see some of those Jojo poses and expressions combined with the act of eating pizza. :allears:

Do you remember how many crusts you've eaten in your life?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

HitTheTargets posted:

So I was just doing my thing, punching some Polaroid cameras and TVs, when the craziest thing happened!
This doesn't seem all that out of character for Joseph to be honest.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I hear the DUWANG translators still failed that project though.(For those unaware it was a project by some Chinese students for a class.)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Araki mentioned in an interview that there'd be a crazy manga artist in Jojolion that wasn't Rohan.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'm happy that Ono and Koyasu are staying, but Sugita did a really good Old Joseph and I can't see why they got rid of him.

It might have been hard for him to do the voice or the other guy sounds similar but with better range.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'd be fine with more Iwasaki but if he's gone I think Sawano would be the best fit. He's currently doing Kill La Kill.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

...What am I missing here?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Some very cool person put together a Roundabout ED for Part 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoyg3zWeX5U

There's an updated version in the related links that has a lead-in from the part 2 ending and (some) manga images of the characters.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Josuke healed Yuuya because Josuke will not beat up a crippled guy. Therefore, he made Yuuya cease to be crippled.

it's also his strongest super in All Star Battle and it's badass as gently caress. Heals the enemy to full HP then beats them up more than they already were.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Persona 4 is my favorite Jojo game. It adapts part 4 pretty well.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

To be honest something like that wouldn't be terribly out of place on the New York subway.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

The thing that gets me about part 5 is that almost all of the fights are really good. I just can't remember the names of any of the stand users not in the main party because they don't have much else going for them outside of being stand users and assassins. It's happened in all the other parts to some extent but Part 5 suffers the worse.

I wish Tonio got more screen time because Him and Pearl Jam is one of my favorite moments in Part 4.

There's a story in Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan that revolves around Tonio, but it doesn't have his stand much.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Are any of the light novels canon? I think I heard the Purple Haze Distortion one was.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I thought it had to do with Bruno not dying the way Rolling Stone predicted.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Not yet.

Definitely not gonna be Iwasaki though.

Really? Because this latest PV definitely sounds like him to me. I know he wasn't happy with the sound direction in part 2, but maybe he decided to give it a shot with a new sound director or something. I was pretty sure Sawano was gonna end up doing the OST though.

If it is Iwasaki, the soundtrack's gonna be great. On the other hand, the idea of each part having a different composer is something I'd miss.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Crossposting from the Space Dandy thread:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

RatHat posted:

Didn't Joseph say something in Part 3 about Stands being an evolution of the Ripple? Or am I making that up?

I don't know about part 3 but in a bonus chapter in Steel Ball Run Araki explains that gaining a stand is the ultimate purpose of the ripple and the spin. I don't remember exactly but wasn't Gyro's stand, Ball Breaker, only created when he used the golden ratio? A ripple master could gain a stand the same way.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Jonathan and Joseph's similar/identical stands would probably be because their situations were similar. Hermit Purple is perfect for a ripple user to extend their range, bind enemies in place, etc. The ability to spy on others is probably because both of them made it their mission to seek out Dio. For hunting and killing vampires Hermit Purple is pretty much the best stand for ripple users.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah it's kinda hilarious how much of a gigantic prick he became when he finally got his memory back. I mean, yeah he was angry, but god drat electrocuting random ladies he found and all kinds of poo poo, became a pretty big jerk haha

Well, he just remembered that Pucci had his girlfriend raped and killed (he didn't know it was an accident or that she was his sister) and was nearby, trying to essentially destroy the world. I wouldn't expect someone to be in their right mind after having all of that suddenly rush into their mind.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Soulcleaver posted:

What would it cost to license Holy Diver?

I dunno about price, but I looked it up and it seems that Holy Diver was released in Japan under a record label parented by Universal. Roundabout was under the label of Atlantic whose parent company is Warner Records. Jojo is a Warner Brothers production, so... It's not looking good.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Some of the changes for the English release of ASB:

Crazy Diamond -> Shining Diamond
Killer Queen -> Deadly Queen
Stray Cat -> Feral Cat
Gold Experience -> Golden Wind
Beach Boy -> Fisher Man
Stone Free -> Stone Ocean
Pucci -> Pucchi (this one might not be a change. I don't know what the official English spelling Araki chose was)

Characters that use their official names that fans rarely use are Wamuu, Esidisi, Kars, and Ermes Costello.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

So in the ending scroll for Battle Tendency, I'm told that you can find references to all the other JoJo protagonists up through part 7. I saw the butterfly stuff for Jolyne, the arrow and sparkly bits for Josuke, the hand symbol for Jotaro, and the thorny vines for Joseph, but I'm told that Johnny's horseshoe and Giorno's ladybug are also in there. Anyone able to point out where they are with like a screenshot or something because for the life of me I can't seem to find them.

Wait, what? How did I never hear about this? I'm checking this out.

EDIT: Ok, I found the stuff you found plus what I think is the ladybug. It's the bottom part of the symbol between the two hands with the Js on their palms that Hermit Purple is coming out of.
It looks like maybe half of the horseshoe is above the arrow. It's the left half and it tapers off into a design with two spheres.
I wonder if there's a Jojolion reference?

Also, I reread part 4 on a whim and I forgot how drat good it is. It's so different from the previous (and later) parts but it feels so right. There's plenty of similarities in Jojolion but none of the characters in it have the same charm and while I enjoy the creepy mystery of it I just don't feel it as much.
One thing that was interesting and kind of disappointing though is Joseph. Every time he appeared I'd kinda look and compare him to part 2 Joseph. It's hard to believe he's the same character. And while he references part 3 he seems so different from that incarnation (as far as I can tell, I've only seen the OVAs) as well. I would have liked to see him have ajust little bit more of a role in the story, or to have seen more of his awkward relationship with Josuke.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 4, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

So did Araki. :(

He never forgot about her. She just had no relevance anymore.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I don't think the SBR Universe is the one that you see at the end of part 6. I think it's just a complete continuity reboot. Araki said part 4 and part 8 are in "parallel worlds" in this ASB interview.
Going by Made in Heaven's effect, the only people that wouldn't exist in the new world would be the ones Pucci killed with his stand, and those characters were still around in some different incarnation (Irene/Anakiss/etc.). So in theory all the other Joestars would still exist, right?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Tobaccrow posted:

Weird though that Kakyoin has white hair through most of (but not all) the OP. Jotaro's a different color scheme from in the show and his jacket becomes pink at one point, but it's pretty subtle. It's probably going make newbies think something happens to Kakyoin's hair.

Bloody Stream had the same thing with Joseph and his purple hair.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So did anyone notice that both the first and last times we see Joseph Joestar are him getting his wallet stolen by a kid? I realized that when I was rereading part 4. I'd like to think it was on purpose.
It also seemed like it was showing how Josuke was inheriting Joseph's spirit there, with son surpassing father in assholish trickiness.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Maiden Heaven is kinda clever. Too bad everything else sucks. At least D4C isn't technically a name change.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

At this point, I'm guessing this isn't about copyrights but probably localizers taking the piss.

I think it's both. I sincerely doubt Bandai would go to the trouble to contact the original bands for all of the references and wanted to be safer than sorry. So the localizers were probably just told to change all the names and occasionally had some fun while doing it. Some of those are hilariously self-aware.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So is it safe to say that aside from the names the localization is good?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Alternate Universe Diego is in the conclusion of Part 7's story. He's voiced by Koyasu too, although I hope that doesn't end up being the case should they ever do a Part 7 anime.

Diego is the only character in SBR that's exactly the same as his namesake. Having him voiced by anyone else just wouldn't make sense.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

The Jorge Joestar novel says SBR and jojolion happened before parts 1 through 6 but other than that it's really stated at all where the two universes are in relation to each other chronologically.
The Jorge Joestar novel says a lot of things.

Kabanaw posted:

I don't think the original universe is a parallel version of the SBR universe. Everything that happens in every version of the SBR universe is roughly the same except some details are changed. The events in the original universe are completely different. Going by the end of Stone Ocean, the Jojo world is not only a multiverse, but cyclical. When time ends in the big crunch the universe repeats itself again in another big bang. The universe collapses and expands upon itself and the only constant is JoJo.
:goonsay:

Yeah, Araki called the SBR world a parallel universe but I'm not so sure parts 1-6 and 7+8 are in the same "continuity."

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Is Purple Haze Feedback the only one translated?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Mr. Maltose posted:

And Prince. Prince is a crazy-rear end dude who will litigate at the drop of a hat.

Which makes it funnier that Soft and Wet was one of the only names that wasn't changed in the ASB localization.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

No he did not. I don't know where you heard this.

He explicitly says the world of part 8 is a "parallel universe" so IDK how else you can take it. I'm pretty sure I posted a picture of the interview earlier in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

It's a bit odd when you consider that Magenta Magenta already seems to be the alternate universe version of Cars.

Since Norisuke IV's birth name was Josuke, he's probably the alternate universe Josuke, not Joseph. Gappy probably isn't actually a Josuke counterpart; after all, half of him is Kira.

Magent Magent had a Kars reference but I don't think he's an alternate universe version of him. Not every character is an alternate version of another, sometimes references are just references.

• Locked thread