Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Probably looking more for manga than anime here so I have stuff I can read on the bus, but looking for some character study style drama. Can be romance/mystery/etc, with or without supernatural elements are ok, just stuff that really focus more on the characters than events and do a good job of making the audience care about the characters. I guess for examples of what I'm looking for: recently watched/read Only Yesterday and Goodnight, Punpun; which both fit what I'm looking for while being otherwise really different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
March Comes In Like a Lion and The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Chihayafuru. I ended up caring more about those characters than I was ever expecting to. They did a really good job with the series.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Probably looking more for manga than anime here so I have stuff I can read on the bus, but looking for some character study style drama. Can be romance/mystery/etc, with or without supernatural elements are ok, just stuff that really focus more on the characters than events and do a good job of making the audience care about the characters. I guess for examples of what I'm looking for: recently watched/read Only Yesterday and Goodnight, Punpun; which both fit what I'm looking for while being otherwise really different.

earnestly suggesting Ashita no Joe. It is legitimately one of the best characters studies in manga. If not the best. There is a reason why Joe, as a character, resonated with an entire generation of Japanese manga readers and still, nearly 50 years later, is one of the most iconic anime characters beaten only by the likes of Astroboy, Doraemon, ect.

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 11, 2015

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I can't believe I forgot about Silver Spoon.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

So, I checked out Lupin III: Fujiko Mine. And I gotta say, the first episode really didn't appeal to me, at all...
Keep in mind that I know literally nothing about the Lupin III franchise beyond this first episode, so whatever connections there are to the rest were pretty much lost on me. I recognized the detective (probably because, through sheer cultural osmosis, I knew that's the guy who keeps trying to catch Lupin), but that's about it. Went in blind. So, here's my uneducated opinion!
It felt pretty ridiculous, but not in a good way... As if the show attempts to be profound and artsy, but goofy and whacky at the same time, with impossible escape sequences and whatnot. Which is all good and stuff, but I felt like it clashed too much. Didn't like the action very much - gun fire might as well vanish into the void, characters pretty much pulled off whatever they needed to for little to no reason, plans failed and succeeded apparently arbritrarily ("You're now surrounded by my guards! Also, you're incapable of shooting and/or threatening me. Oh, no, she escaped from being directly shot at!"). I kept noticing how people dodged shots always AFTER they were fired - normally, that really doesn't bother me, but somehow it did here. And finally, I really didn't care for any of the characters. Lupin felt too cartoon-y for the rest of the cast, and he seemed like a smarmy dick... Maybe that's intentional, given how Fujiko's the main character here, but that dude just pissed me off. There simply wasn't any appeal for me - smarmy-rear end dialogue, weird action, arbritrary plot, incompetence everywhere (with most of the competence unexplained & offscreen). Looked very nice in parts, though - I especially liked the head priest's fancy hand motions.

Oh, and I guess there were tits. Weird. This definitely felt like a kid's show, through and through, where someone tried to staple mature topics on top. Yeah, remove the rampant nudity & occasional remorseless killing, and it could've been a kid's show with a kid's plot.

I guess it gets better? I can't really muster up the motivation to keep going.

So I watched Re: Cutie Honey instead, on someone's suggestion from waaaaaay back in this thread :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I got about halfway before I quit and felt it stayed more or less the same throughout. I just don't think I'm a Lupin fan though, the only one I unequivocally love is Castle of Cagliostro which isn't Lupin-like at all.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lupin has a lot of artifice but to call it a kids show is way off the mark. It's not being lazy or exploiting that you're not paying attention, it's using stuff that clearly wouldn't happen in order to dig into something more important. The Lupin and Fujiko dialog alone is absurdly rich and is a great preview of everything that the show goes on to cover.

I mean, if the storytelling style is really that distracting for you then maybe it'll never be your thing but I dig it so much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lupin III only adheres to one rule, the rule of cool.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Lupin III only adheres to one rule, the rule of cool.

Fair enough! I gathered something like that while watching it, but meh. Between my annoyance at the characters and the - to me - lame action scenes, I just felt like this episode didn't earn being cool. But then again, I say this with a Lupin sample the size of 1, so...

The Devil Tesla posted:

Lupin has a lot of artifice but to call it a kids show is way off the mark. It's not being lazy or exploiting that you're not paying attention, it's using stuff that clearly wouldn't happen in order to dig into something more important. The Lupin and Fujiko dialog alone is absurdly rich and is a great preview of everything that the show goes on to cover.

Ok I guess, kid's show is probably too harsh. Still, seemed to me the episode was at once too serious and too whacky, never really pulling the mix off.

I don't want to sound dismissive here; it's clearly a beloved show, and the franchise itself has to have SOME appeal (LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT FUCKIN FRANCHISE), but, well... I'd rather watch something else.

...he said, switching on Higurashi, which is the worst-looking show I've ever actually enjoyed
You can't question my taste, I don't have any

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mikl posted:

March Comes In Like a Lion and The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer.

Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer didn't catch my interest the first time o checked it out, but I'll give it another shot and look at your other suggestion and Ashitaka no Joe. Chihayafuru and Silver Spoon I've watched/read.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is one of my top three.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Torquemadras posted:

...he said, switching on Higurashi, which is the worst-looking show I've ever actually enjoyed
You can't question my taste, I don't have any

This is what the original VN art looked like.

:v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

I would hold hands with them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wouldn't they look like they'd be all soft and sticky like marshmallows

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Those are some sexy babes

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They have new art for the Steam release of course but I kind of prefer the PS2 set, despite it being kind of generic. There's something weirdly off proportions-wise with the Steam ones. Higurashi just can't catch a break. It's all really a moot point because there are so many mods and patches to change/fix them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

This is from the One-Punch Man thread and a reason why you should be keeping an eye on the anime:

http://www.mp4upload.com/xnr19lg02oym

October can't come soon enough.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I got about halfway before I quit and felt it stayed more or less the same throughout. I just don't think I'm a Lupin fan though, the only one I unequivocally love is Castle of Cagliostro which isn't Lupin-like at all.

I'm not a fan of this being said about Cagliostro since there are so many different ways that people have interpreted Lupin.

Nearly all of the anime isn't even true to the manga version of Lupin.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
It was definitely a pretty different interpretation from the Lupin stuff that was current at the time, but I think the later Lupin series kind of went more toward the side of "noble thief" anyway (maybe because of Cagliostro)? I enjoy most Lupin stuff, but Cagliostro probably remains my third favorite anime film after Only Yesterday and Kiki's Delivery Service.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Zerilan posted:

Kakukaku Shikajika and Kokou no Hito

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Zerilan posted:

Kakukaku Shikajika
Sand Chronicles (Sunadokei)
Sakamichi no Apollon
Koe no Katachi

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Zerilan posted:

K-ON

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

You can't solve all your problems with K-On, Namtab!
*slaps Gibson Les Paul guitar out of Namtab's hands*
*starts K-On playlist, sobbing uncontrollably*

Sakurazuka posted:

I... guess they're staying somewhat true to style, then?

Seriously, though. This show is ugly as poo poo. Animation errors everywhere. People look like wide-eyed goblins. It looks like a parody of bad anime, only it's real.
BUT I CAN'T STOP WATCHING IT
I'm at episode 18 of the first season, and drat, this show is really good at piling mysteries and revelations on top of each other. I have no clue what is going on (my guess so far is alternate timelines or a timeloop, and Rika is the only one aware of it? No coincidence it's her "mysterious" voice at the end of the credits, that's for sure.), but it feels consistent enough that I'm confident they aren't just throwing meaningless mysteries at the wall and see what sticks. And I'm seriously impressed with the characters - they may look like hideous goblins, but they're surprisingly consistent across story arcs, occasionally showing different sides to them (I love how it turns out the old cop is a huge rear end in a top hat, unless he needs you for something). And, well, voice actors are sometimes hamming it up too much, but there's so many hosed up scenes and freakouts - sometimes, it seems like the budget-saving cutaways and absence of gore even enhances things... (Not that a budget + competent director couldn't have done even better, I mean seriously)
This show is also filled with complete idiots, but I'm not too bothered by that. At least the main offender is consistently stupid :haw:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Why is the thread title no longer recommending Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bongo Bill posted:

It's a new era.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Vegeta chat thread has blown the winds of change throughout the forum.

I'll still recommend it a lot though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
...so, is Log Horizon a pretty okay show?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

It is indeed pretty okay.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

season 1 was okay, 2 was trash

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

frankly, the thread title is a troll

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Bongo Bill posted:

After years of searching, it turns out there's more than one good anime to recommend.

StandardVC10 posted:

"Pretty okay," yeah.

Not great, but okay.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel like it avoids a lot of the common pitfalls of the stuck in a MMO genre and does some interesting things with its setting, but I never finished the second season because the pacing became really bad and the show started to have more of a focus on the weaker aspects (the fighting) instead of cool poo poo like running a hamburger stand to make a lot of money.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

After years of searching, it turns out there's more than one good anime to recommend.

It ain't over until we get a new thread or someone edits the OP. :colbert:

Who am I kidding nobody reads OPs, rip LOGH

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

It ain't over until we get a new thread or someone edits the OP. :colbert:

Who am I kidding nobody reads OPs, rip LOGH

I don't think people are going to stop recommending LOGH because of a title change.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

No Srice. It's over.

No one can ever recommend LOGH ever again.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

More seriously though, there has been talk of restarting both recommendation threads so that very well may happen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chas McGill posted:

Kakukaku Shikajika
Sand Chronicles (Sunadokei)
Sakamichi no Apollon
Koe no Katachi
Sand chronicles is so ridiculously good and an interesting story about a young girl's life as she grows up, following her through childhood into her 20's and beyond. It's rare for series to go through such a time transition like that.

Nate RFB posted:

The Vegeta chat thread has blown the winds of change throughout the forum.
It was fine when it was just a chicken coop of circlejerking but now they've declared war, this will not stand

Bad Seafood posted:

More seriously though, there has been talk of restarting both recommendation threads so that very well may happen.
You...you're our third impact. Start it all over.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm going to do it.

Tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

This thread will be locked when the new one opens.

Enjoy your last day.

• Locked thread