Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Aria series (Aria the Animation, the Natural, and the Origination) is basically the chillest goddamn thing I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for something chilled out with nice music that I can watch before bedtime. I don't want any explosions or shrieking, thanks. It can still have action, but it better be slow and calculated. Something like a better Bartender would be ideal.
Mushishi tends to be rather slow and calculated and has a very chill soundtrack.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nichijou would be pretty good for this if you haven't seen it.

Is this suggestion missing a word or is it some kind of April Fools' joke?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Blhue posted:

The Aria series (Aria the Animation, the Natural, and the Origination) is basically the chillest goddamn thing I've ever seen.

There's also Aria the OVA: Arietta, which takes place between Natural and Origination. Along the same lines, Sketchbook ~full color's~ is similarly paced, and also extremely chill.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for something chilled out with nice music that I can watch before bedtime. I don't want any explosions or shrieking, thanks. It can still have action, but it better be slow and calculated. Something like a better Bartender would be ideal.
Kino no Tabi/Kino's Journey would be a good choice. There's a two parter that's somewhat action packed, but even that is pretty slow and calculated about it compared to most action anime. For the most part it's just Kino goes to a place, experiences it, and thinks deep thoughts.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

Mushishi tends to be rather slow and calculated and has a very chill soundtrack.

Mushishi is chill as can be and I highly recommend it. It has such a very slow and very quiet pace, while at the same time using each little piece phenomenally well.

McNagah
Dec 28, 2012

Blhue posted:

I want to second this recommendation as well. The first season has a rocky start though, but Natural and Origination is quite excellent. If you don't mind a manga recommendation I suggest checking out Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou also.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are there any good tense gambling anime/manga on the level of Kaiji/Zero? Abstract gambles or standard ones really.

e: The more tense the better.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 1, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Kingnothing posted:

Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope) is a real nice show with plenty of good jazz. The relationship stuff gets a little annoying but overall really chill and nice.

And no special music, but Hyouka is really fantastic.
Yeah, I should've listed things I've already seen (aside from Bartender) - Kids on the Slope was definitely something I watched at night to wind down. I agree with you about the relationship stuff, though I really enjoyed the look and sound of it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nichijou would be pretty good for this if you haven't seen it.

Keyboard Kid posted:

Is this suggestion missing a word or is it some kind of April Fools' joke?

GloomMouse posted:

Nichijou has plenty of comedic shouting and crazy action gags though.
This seems interesting, but might be too frenetic. I generally like surreal shows, so I may check it out anyway.

unpronounceable posted:

There's also Aria the OVA: Arietta, which takes place between Natural and Origination. Along the same lines, Sketchbook ~full color's~ is similarly paced, and also extremely chill.

McNagah posted:

I want to second this recommendation as well. The first season has a rocky start though, but Natural and Origination is quite excellent. If you don't mind a manga recommendation I suggest checking out Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou also.
Never heard of Aria before. I like the premise. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is something I've wanted to read for a while because it seems like exactly the sort of thing I love (robots, cafes).

Endorph posted:

Kino no Tabi/Kino's Journey would be a good choice. There's a two parter that's somewhat action packed, but even that is pretty slow and calculated about it compared to most action anime. For the most part it's just Kino goes to a place, experiences it, and thinks deep thoughts.
That sounds good.

Paracelsus posted:

Zorak posted:

Mushishi is chill as can be and I highly recommend it. It has such a very slow and very quiet pace, while at the same time using each little piece phenomenally well.
I should probably have cited Mushishi instead of Bartender in the first post. I was recommended it when I asked for things like Master Keaton in the old thread and I loved it.

Thanks for the recommendations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, Nichijou's first scene literally has Nano exploding like a nuclear bomb and yelling a lot, so it doesn't really fit your request at all. But it is also absurd and a lot of fun, so you might still like it, just not as a "wind down and chill" show.

Seconding Haibane Renmei and Mushishi.

I think that Haibane Renmei and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou share a lot in how they present their worlds; very low key and keeping some mysteries hidden while slowly revealing answers to others.

E: whoops, missed that you've seen Mushishi.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 1, 2013

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are there any good tense gambling anime/manga on the level of Kaiji/Zero? Abstract gambles or standard ones really.

There's Akagi, which I believe was made by the team that made Kaiji and features some of the ballsiest Mahjong you're ever likely to see

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
On the subject of Mushishi - someone on the Guardian did a feature on 5 animes and their choices were quite interesting.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm going on a 5-hour train trip so I'm looking for things to watch during it. I watched The Legend of Korra last trip so now I'm looking for something similar (actiony), like FMA if I hadn't watched it already.

Any suggestions?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

gmq posted:

I'm going on a 5-hour train trip so I'm looking for things to watch during it. I watched The Legend of Korra last trip so now I'm looking for something similar (actiony), like FMA if I hadn't watched it already.

Any suggestions?

Slayers might be worth trying out.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

gmq posted:

Any suggestions?

You'll barely have time for a 12 episode series even if you watch straight through

If you have't yet, watch the first season of Jojo (it owns)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love Slayers but keep in mind it's mostly comedic and very 90's.

The first thing that came to mind when I thought of something similar to Avatar or FMA was The Twelve Kingdoms.

Also just to be clear, the FMA you watched was Brotherhood? Because if not, get on that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

One Outs looks like a baseball anime on the surface, but it is very much a show about gambling. After 3 episodes it basically turns into Akagi but with baseball instead of mahjong.

Liar Game is a manga that's a decent substitute for Kaiji. Most of the characters are a heck of a lot prettier than those in Kaiji, and unlike Kaiji the games aren't always as simple. But despite that, if you're looking for something similar to Kaiji it's the next best thing.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
If Mushishi interests you, Mononoke may definitely be worth checking out as well.

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes
I literally never watch anime and as far as manga goes, I like to say I'm a big manga reader but it occurred to me recently all I really read are urasawa, tezuka and fukumoto stories. I recently branched out and went hog wild on berserk, purely on a whim, and holy poo poo its the first thing I've ever read that actually makes urasawa look almost amateur. So yeah I'd love more like berserk, but only in the way of ultra dark dramatic story and deep characters, not so much the sword swinging which a lot of the adtrwwiki suggestions seem to come off as. Also I'm really desperate for more manga people would consider appealing to urasawa fans. I can't quite nail what it is I want beyond rich characters and grand plots, but I just finished billy bat and I'm desperate for something to entertain me like that did.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Read Matsumoto Taiyou's manga. He covers a lot of different ground but they're all excellent stories with amazing art. You might like Takemitsu Zamurai.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

If you like Urasawa and berserk try some Yukimura manga like Planetes and Vinland Saga.

Also definitely read some Taiyo Matsumoto, he is probably one of the best around. Start with black and white/tekkon kinkreet ( I think nearly everyone probably starts there) then move onto his sports manga like hanaotoko and ping pong. Then everything else after that I guess.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Turns out my new job has an order od magnitude more downtime than I expected. Looking for some manga series to kill a couple of hours a day.

Death Note (1st half)
Lone Wolf and Cub
Hajime no Ippo
Kenichi
Chihayafuru
GTO
Sword Art Online

Dislikes:
Elfen Lied
Accel World

Can't remember much more off the top of my head. For anime, I prefer to watch things that seem to be targeted a bit older (Planetes, Spacebros, Nana, Black Heaven).

Suggestions welcome.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Turns out my new job has an order od magnitude more downtime than I expected. Looking for some manga series to kill a couple of hours a day.

Death Note (1st half)
Lone Wolf and Cub
Hajime no Ippo
Kenichi
Chihayafuru
GTO
Sword Art Online

Dislikes:
Elfen Lied
Accel World

Can't remember much more off the top of my head. For anime, I prefer to watch things that seem to be targeted a bit older (Planetes, Spacebros, Nana, Black Heaven).

Suggestions welcome.

Try Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or Liar Game.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I am looking for so-bad-it's-funny shows about animals. I do a pretty regular anime night with my friends, and we've had Ginga Nagareboshi Gin and Ginga Densetsu Weed, and they want more shows to fill Dog Slot when Weed ends. Shows about dogs are preferred but not necessary; one of them has suggested Samurai Pizza Cats, for example.

Age and animation quality are not considerations here. We just want stupid anime about animals to laugh at.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mors Rattus posted:

I am looking for so-bad-it's-funny shows about animals. I do a pretty regular anime night with my friends, and we've had Ginga Nagareboshi Gin and Ginga Densetsu Weed, and they want more shows to fill Dog Slot when Weed ends. Shows about dogs are preferred but not necessary; one of them has suggested Samurai Pizza Cats, for example.

Age and animation quality are not considerations here. We just want stupid anime about animals to laugh at.

Polar Bear Cafe (Shirokuma Cafe) comes to mind immediately. The anime aired just last year, it is quite stupid, laid back, and laugh-at-and-or-with-able.

fake edit: I guess it ran for 50 episodes and ended just last week!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just popping in to say Welcome to the NHK was good. I'm not sure how I'd phrase it, but I enjoyed that it was slice of life rendered with some realism, and it explored some psychological concepts.

I watched the dub and it was serviceable but I felt like it was holding the show back from being something truly great, but I get that feeling any time I watch a dub that doesn't have "great" writing. I mean it's just easy to blame the translation when for all I know the writing was like that begin with.

I think the next time I want a show like this, I'll watch Honey and Clover. One thing I liked about the setting of NHK is the main character being poor in a city, especially that little Mitya House apartment. Does Honey and Clover have small apartments and city life? The preview image at the ATDR wiki could be either a city or small town.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Can anyone recommend me some decent baseball-related anime to watch? I've got Inazuma Eleven on my list for football, but now that the MLB season's started I'm on a baseball kick. I'm looking for something fairly realistic on the baseball side, but I don't mind something a bit over-the-top if it's fun enough (hence my interest in Inazuma). I'd like something that really carries off the tension of the pitcher-batter showdown, gives it a bit of drama.

I'm open to other sports anime, too (been curious about Eyeshield 21, for example) but baseball is what I'm most keen on for the moment.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

thorsilver posted:

Can anyone recommend me some decent baseball-related anime to watch? I've got Inazuma Eleven on my list for football, but now that the MLB season's started I'm on a baseball kick. I'm looking for something fairly realistic on the baseball side, but I don't mind something a bit over-the-top if it's fun enough (hence my interest in Inazuma). I'd like something that really carries off the tension of the pitcher-batter showdown, gives it a bit of drama.

I'm open to other sports anime, too (been curious about Eyeshield 21, for example) but baseball is what I'm most keen on for the moment.

Maybe try One Outs? That's the first thing that comes to mind when I think baseball anime.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

thorsilver posted:

Major

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think the next time I want a show like this, I'll watch Honey and Clover. One thing I liked about the setting of NHK is the main character being poor in a city, especially that little Mitya House apartment. Does Honey and Clover have small apartments and city life? The preview image at the ATDR wiki could be either a city or small town.

Honey and Clover is small apartment and college life to start with, then it moves into some post college stuff. Being broke definitely factors into the setting.

It is also great.

So is the manga Solanin, it also covers being young and on your own for the first time in the city.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Jack B Nimble posted:

Just popping in to say Welcome to the NHK was good. I'm not sure how I'd phrase it, but I enjoyed that it was slice of life rendered with some realism, and it explored some psychological concepts.

I watched the dub and it was serviceable but I felt like it was holding the show back from being something truly great, but I get that feeling any time I watch a dub that doesn't have "great" writing. I mean it's just easy to blame the translation when for all I know the writing was like that begin with.
Yeah, Welcome to the NHK is one of the better slice of lifes I've seen. I'm also totally with you on liking shows that deal with people living in small apartments - probably because I live in a tiny 1-bedroom place myself and see it as interior design research. Another one that deals with small flats and poverty is Tatami Galaxy.

As for the dub - I thought it was pretty decent. I particularly liked his nerdy friend's (forgotten the name already) voice.

Anyway, I watched a couple of the recommendations people gave me for relaxed shows:
Aria - only watched the first episode of this. It does seem to be rather chilled out, but the visual style isn't really to my taste and it's a bit too cutesy. Will watch a couple more, though.
Hyouka - I almost gave up on this about 5 minutes into the first episode when Chitanda was introduced - I couldn't handle how full-blown anime it was. However, the idea of a club solving hilariously mundane mysteries really appeals to me, so I watched the next two episodes. The voice acting and character designs for the girls irritates me, but the actual mystery solving and tone of the show is more or less what I wanted. Jury's out.

a kitten posted:

So is the manga Solanin, it also covers being young and on your own for the first time in the city.
From what I've read of Solanin so far it might be exactly what you're looking for. I just wish it was an anime, too.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 4, 2013

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Jack B Nimble posted:

If you're not opposed to checking out the manga version, do so. The anime version is decent, but it's a bit... restrained compared to the manga.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Mason Dixon posted:

If you're not opposed to checking out the manga version, do so. The anime version is decent, but it's a bit... restrained compared to the manga.

There's also the light novel, though that's really hard to find a copy of.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
The novel's pretty affordable nowadays and if a ~$30 used price tag looks like a lot you could probably sell it back if you don't want to hold on to it. I remember it being quite good. I liked it more than the manga (and quite a bit more than the anime) but what the manga does is very... different, and not in a way that I liked.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
NHK manga definitely put me in a pretty dark place, way beyond just depressing. It's the type of story that'll make you want to call your mother to tell her you love her.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Silver2195 posted:

Try Jojo's Bizarre Adventure or Liar Game.

Liar Game was good. How does One Outs compare?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

NHK manga definitely put me in a pretty dark place, way beyond just depressing. It's the type of story that'll make you want to call your mother to tell her you love her.

When I read the Welcome to the NHK manga I read it all in one day.

I...do not recommend that.

Toshimo posted:

Liar Game was good. How does One Outs compare?

It's basically Akagi with baseball instead of mahjong. If you're looking for a series where a smart guy thinks outside of the box in order to win, it's definitely a solid choice.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

AnacondaHL posted:

Polar Bear Cafe (Shirokuma Cafe) comes to mind immediately. The anime aired just last year, it is quite stupid, laid back, and laugh-at-and-or-with-able.

fake edit: I guess it ran for 50 episodes and ended just last week!

I will definitely look into this.

Also, does anyone know if Nyan Koi or Massagu Ni Ikou are funny-bad or just bad? (I am pretty sure that they're bad, at least. The premise for Nyan Koi certainly looked bad: a dude allergic to cats is in love with a girl who loves cats, so somehow he gets cursed by a cat god to understand cats and if he doesn't fulfill 100 cat wishes he will be turned into a cat and die of anaphylactic shock. Because that's not stupid at all. The other one is just 'the daily lives of dogs' and I am kind of assuming it is to slice of life what Gin was to shonen.)

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Nyan Koi is every bit as awful as it sounds and I have absolutely no idea why I watched it.

The only good part, even as funny-bad, was gg's subs for the mail-lady who spends pretty much all the time she's on screen telling the main character to revel in his harem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nyan-koi's alright. It's funnier then the premise would suggest, but that's not saying much.

• Locked thread