Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Kaiba
Kyousougiga is awesome and not excessively "anime" but it is set in Kyoto but I mean if his problem is "Japanese shows are set in Japan" maybe he should get over it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

CherryCat posted:

I've been very slowly introducing my boyfriend to anime for a while, so far he's seen Cowboy Bebop, FMA:Brotherhood, Attack on Titan and some Lupin III and Outlaw Star as well as a bunch of Ghibli films.

I'm looking for some decent action/sci-fi without any overly Japan-ness (wasn't a fan of Spirited Away). In general he likes stuff with a good amount of character building and decent plot so any recommandations would be much appreciated.

Just series or also movies? If the latter: Summer Wars and Patema Inverted are top-shelf choice.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

CherryCat posted:

I've been very slowly introducing my boyfriend to anime for a while, so far he's seen Cowboy Bebop, FMA:Brotherhood, Attack on Titan and some Lupin III and Outlaw Star as well as a bunch of Ghibli films.

I'm looking for some decent action/sci-fi without any overly Japan-ness (wasn't a fan of Spirited Away). In general he likes stuff with a good amount of character building and decent plot so any recommandations would be much appreciated.

I only post here to remind people to watch Legend of Galactic Heroes.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Thanks for all the suggestions, I definitely think I can find a few series he'll like.

I do already have Ghost in the Shell and Summer Wars on dvd so may start with them. I should clarify that he doesn't have a problem with things set in Japan, he's just not too sure of the more fantastical yokai stuff.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CherryCat posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I definitely think I can find a few series he'll like.

I do already have Ghost in the Shell and Summer Wars on dvd so may start with them. I should clarify that he doesn't have a problem with things set in Japan, he's just not too sure of the more fantastical yokai stuff.

Ooh definitely Monster then. Straight psychological thriller.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

CherryCat posted:

Might also consider:

Space Dandy

Ergo Proxy

Speed Grapher (maybe)

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

silentsnack posted:

Speed Grapher (maybe)

Man I thought that series was long forgotten. I always thought it was underrated for all the wrong reasons - depressing, kind of bizarre story, but I enjoyed it. I'll second this recommendation.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Watch K-ON

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I want to watch some good comedy! Here's some stuff I watched and liked:

-Cromartie
-School Rumble
-Daily Lives of school boys
-Nichijou
-Sexy Commando

And some more that I forgot at the moment. Newish stuff would be nice, considering I probably watched a lot of older series.

Edit: Noticed that everything I mentioned was school slice of life, but it's definitely not necessary.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

nerdz posted:

-Cromartie
-School Rumble
-Nichijou
-Sexy Commando

And some more that I forgot at the moment. Newish stuff would be nice, considering I probably watched a lot of older series.

Edit: Noticed that everything I mentioned was school slice of life, but it's definitely not necessary.

I recommend Squid Girl.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Devil Is A Part-Timer, where the Demon King from another world winds up working part-time at McDonalds. It's real good and surprisingly funny.

Squid Girl is good too.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

monthly girls nozaki-kun

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm making this a bit hard, haha. I've watched all of those already.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

working!!!
plastic nee-san
love lab
d-frag
sabegabu!
teekyuu

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Davincie posted:

working!!!
plastic nee-san
love lab
d-frag
sabegabu!
teekyuu

Oh, nice, haven't watched most of these besides plastic nee-san, which is loving hilarious.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

nerdz posted:

-Cromartie
-School Rumble
-Nichijou
-Sexy Commando

Shinji Takamatsu, who directed School Rumble and Nichibros, was also on board for the first 201 episodes of Gintama. It does take around 30 episodes to really get going though.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
Barakamon had a lot of good comedy moments too, altough it's not a pure comedy series. For high-energy slapstick, an old favorite of mine that nobody ever seems to remember is Muteki Kanban Musume.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

nerdz posted:

-Cromartie
-School Rumble
-Nichijou
-Sexy Commando

Astro Fighter Sunred.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hello Yes I am Here Eureka 7

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Psycho-Pass
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
The Big O
Redline (in 1080p/Blu-Ray quality if at all possible, or you're doing your eyes a disservice)
Trigun
Gungrave
Last Exile
Jormungand (it's not as good as Black Lagoon, but it's good if you want more in the same vein)
Hellsing: Ultimate (the original series isn't as good, and this is a direct adaptation of the manga).

Psycho-Pass and GiTS are both set in Japan, but are reasonably grounded in a general 20-minutes-in-the-future sci-fi setting.

Is Hellsing:Ultimate just a series of OVAs? I wanna watch it, but funimation only has the OVAs

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah it's just the ovas. I liked it better than the original tv one

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

If they have 10 episodes they have them all

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

nerdz posted:

-Cromartie
-School Rumble
-Nichijou
-Sexy Commando

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

nerdz posted:

-Cromartie
-School Rumble
-Nichijou
-Sexy Commando

Amagi Brilliant Park

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Detroit Metal City
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've been going through the 2011 HunterxHunter series and I've been enjoying it a lot. It subverts a lot of shounen expectations, for better or for worse. It's a really fun show to check out if the person is new to anime. Come October there will be One-Punch Man which will be the ultimate anime series, so check out that one too.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

nerdz posted:

-Cromartie
-School Rumble
-Nichijou
-Sexy Commando

Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 7, 2015

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp, watched some more. Here's recommendations for others, plus some warnings.

First, my personal favorite of this last batch: Michiko & Hatchin. Oh boy, it's like somebody looked at Cowboy Bebop, went "you know, this is nice, but it needs more sexy ladies" and went from there. Not quite as good, but I liked the setting much more, and there was something innately entertaining about the titular main characters. I could watch these two travel nowhere in particular forever. Personal highlight: Hatchin finally snaps, grabs a metal pipe and goes to beat up the fraud doctor - only to discover Michiko is already doing that, for an entirely different, much stupider reason :haw: While I'd have liked a bit more action towards the end, and I'm sad about a couple loose ends (I want to see Highway Assassins 2: The Revenge!), this has to be one of the most satisfying shows I've watched. I'm especially glad about some of the later revelations about the characters: that Hiroshi is scum and was never worth it, and that Satoshi was ultimately desperate and loneley too.
Also, seriously, this is so Bebop it's incredible. Badass old folk that walks all over the young hotshots, mysticism and people who base VERY important decisions on it, gun battles where bullets might as well be bubblewrap, an anime with actual darker-skinned people running around, poverty everywhere, seriously incredible music (thank you, Watanabe :allears: ), and some serious smoothtalking. Only with a what feels like a much crueler setting, and lots of badass ladies, which is always a plus!
Too bad I really didn't like the four or five episodes of Samurai Champloo, I'd like more of this.

Then, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, after seeing it mentioned in this thread several times. Yeeeeaaaaah... I made it three episodes in. First one felt like the best one. There's some good gags in there, but I guess I liked it more when it was subdued in the beginning. Once it went overly zany, I just didn't find it funny anymore. It's not even the juvenile jokes (Panty & Stocking is among humanity's greatest achievements, why yes), it's just... random? Incoherent? Strangely lecherous? Enjoyed this one less and less.

Also watched Mind Game, after my recent binge of unusually animated shows (Kaiba, Ping Pong, Kemonozume...). That was some great stuff. Utter insanity, especially the final scene, which just keeps going and escalating and at some point you notice you weren't breathing for what must've been several minutes and holy poo poo. There's something irresistible about this sheer primal urge for freedom that just does it for me. I guess it's catharsis - there's not many scenes that I feel are on par with Mind Game in this regard: several from Satoshi Kon, most notably for me personally the scene of the older cop smashing the illusions, Madoka (come ooooon), Ping Pong (you finally have that match, you two :cry: ), and I suppose Kyoutsugiga and Tengen Toppa Gurren Langan come close. More of this, please.

I then turned insane and watched all of Speed Grapher. Uuuuuh... Cool-looking powers. I really liked the idea of powers based around fetishes, but it felt too drawn-out for me, and the creepy subtext of the two main character's relationship made me very uncomfortable. I... I kinda want my time back, but I feel like I deserve this for actually continuing. (Okay, okay, I jumped ahead several times, give me a break)

It's that time again. I'm gonna catch me some new animes. Give me recommendations, please :toot:
As mentioned above, this time, I'm especially looking for something with really rewarding, all-out endings, all catharsis and stuff. Or super-chill action along the lines of Bebop/Michiko-Hatchin.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

You've mentioned Mind Game, Kemonozume, Kaiba, and Ping Pong, all of which are directed by the same man. The only Yuasa anime I didn't see there was Tatami Galaxy so if you haven't seen that one yet you should absolutely watch it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The director of Michiko & Hatchin is Sayo Yamamoto and her other show is the amazing Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. You don't have to know much about Lupin to get it (the first episode is the classic Lupin style that it then twists over and over) and it absolutely blew me away. It works both as an adventure series and a sharp commentary on roles for women in fiction.

This is almost too obvious a pick but if you didn't see last year's Space Dandy get on that.

And yea, The Tatami Galaxy is deeply rewarding but whenever I recommend it I have to point out: the dialog and story moves very very very fast. A lot of people get way lost in the first episode, and it might take multiple watches to catch everything. You have to accept that you won't catch everything the first time, and do know that the first episode is way faster than the rest of the series. But yea, it's a fantastic show.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

The director of Michiko & Hatchin is Sayo Yamamoto and her other show is the amazing Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. You don't have to know much about Lupin to get it (the first episode is the classic Lupin style that it then twists over and over) and it absolutely blew me away. It works both as an adventure series and a sharp commentary on roles for women in fiction.

This is almost too obvious a pick but if you didn't see last year's Space Dandy get on that.

And yea, The Tatami Galaxy is deeply rewarding but whenever I recommend it I have to point out: the dialog and story moves very very very fast. A lot of people get way lost in the first episode, and it might take multiple watches to catch everything. You have to accept that you won't catch everything the first time, and do know that the first episode is way faster than the rest of the series. But yea, it's a fantastic show.

I already saw Space Dandy and Tatami Galaxy! Both great, really - Space Dandy is definitely among my Top 5 anime. Tatami Galaxy was nice too; I really enjoyed the rapid fire dialog and how it was full of little details all coming together. I was just kind of annoyed at the protagonist - that guy's gotta be the whiniest, most spineless, pettiest, most pathetic protagonist I've ever seen. I'm glad the story is about how he stops being that, but drat if I didn't want to slap that dude through the screen for five episodes or so. Glad I kept watching - those last scenes are really rewarding, especially when he pulls the "That's how I show my love for you!" line on his frenemy, including the devil eyes! :haw:

No idea about Lupin - I know basically nothing about the franchise! But that series seems to have the ideal length + anyone who pulls of Michiko & Hatchin is worth a try. Looking forward to this one.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If you don't know anything about Lupin, the Woman Called Fujiko Mine is actually a pretty solid introduction.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Bad Seafood posted:

If you don't know anything about Lupin, the Woman Called Fujiko Mine is actually a pretty solid introduction.

Gonna have to say otherwise. It's got a very, very different tone and focus from any other Lupin thing. It's its own thing. More of a side-story Lupin that feels only roughly related to the series in tone.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The tone with Lupin stuff is all over the place depending with each entry anyways, so there's no real proper agreed upon way to get into the show. Just gotta jump right into that cold pond and for a lot of people Fujiko Mine is a good starting point since it has an ongoing plot.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Even the classics have tonal differences, lots of folks like the light-hearted adventure story of Cagliostro, but if you tell them to follow it up by watching the original tv show they might not enjoy stuff like Lupin setting a man on fire and laughing as he plunges to his death.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
That's a much finer tonal shift than this weird-rear end, semi art house noir tale of a chameleonic amoral woman who uses sex in an empowering-yet-totally-not-this-is-loving-titilation way. It's so different that it's barely recognisable as being from the same universe,

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 9, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Kokoro Wish posted:

That's a much finer tonal shift than this weird-rear end, semi art house noir tale of a chameleonic amoral woman who uses sex in an empowering-yet-totally-not-this-is-loving-titilation way. It's so different that it's barely recognisable as being from the same universe,

I watched Fujiko after having only watched Cagliostro and a handful of episodes of dubbed Lupin on cartoon network back in the day, and I thought it worked fine. It's great, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a total Lupin newbie. It explains what's up with its characters quickly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's a fantastic show and a good delve into the deeper aspects of the characters, specifically fujiko. It is rear end end backwards not in keeping with the tone of the show though, in my opinion. If someone wants to get into Lupin, show em some lupin. Fujiko Mine is good as a stand alone or for someone who happens to like the characters of lupid but is sick of the yearly release specials that don't offer much.

Space Adventure Cobra is closer to Lupin as a whole than Fujiko Mine, IMO.

• Locked thread