Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Uznare posted:

Ashita no Joe is not licensed, so you'll have to find a way to watch that. Crunchyroll only has the second half of the show (which was made a decade later).
Alternatively, the entire manga has already been scanlated, so he can just page through that.

Your way works too posted:

Alright I have a bit of tough one for you guys but I have faith you guys will kill it.

So I just read 20th century boys and when I started it I was convinced it was a masterpiece, however after each time skip I became less and less interested in it. I figured out that what I actually wanted was a fairly grounded piece set in post war Japan. I am looking for anything set in 50s 60s or 70s Japan that includes at least minor cultural or historical aspects.

Although barring that I will take anything set in Japan during those time periods.

EDIT: In return let me leave this recommendation of exactly the kind of thing I might be looking for and a wonderful manga in it's own right. A Drifting Life is a auto-biographical story of Yoshihiro Tatsumi's life as a mangaka from 1945 to 1960. It's quite excellent.
Have you looked through any of Tatsumi's other collections? I would start there. If you're interested the works of less grounded gekiga artists, you should look up Seiichi Hayashi, Shigeru Mizuki, and Yoshiharu Tsuge.

a kitten posted:

You should also read Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms it starts in Hiroshima in 1955 and ends in 2004. It is only one volume long so hopefully you won't have the same problem with flagging interest due to the time skips.
Uh, I will heartily second this recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

railroad terror posted:

Prefer stuff with a sci fi or steampunk feel to it, but slice of life is OK too -- I wasn't sold on NHK at first, but ended up really enjoying it.
The closest anime I've seen to an NHK is My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, subbed and on Hulu. It's more low-key & has more pandering elements and that might turn you off, but Hachiman at times feels like a smarter, less naive, less mature Satou.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

muike posted:

what teh gently caress
Probably the reason why:

Male Tears posted:

Prefer a plot-long story than individually contained episodes.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: In all seriousness, guy who was asking for shows, you might like Berserk.
Random question: Should you start with the second episode and save the first episode for last?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Lord Lambeth posted:

Is there anything out there like Satoshi Kon's work? I just burned my way through Paranoia Agent and I've seen all of his movies.
Some of his manga has been licensed in English, you could look into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Zerilan posted:

Probably looking more for manga than anime here so I have stuff I can read on the bus, but looking for some character study style drama. Can be romance/mystery/etc, with or without supernatural elements are ok, just stuff that really focus more on the characters than events and do a good job of making the audience care about the characters. I guess for examples of what I'm looking for: recently watched/read Only Yesterday and Goodnight, Punpun; which both fit what I'm looking for while being otherwise really different.
Kakukaku Shikajika and Kokou no Hito

• Locked thread