Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I am looking for so-bad-it's-funny shows about animals. I do a pretty regular anime night with my friends, and we've had Ginga Nagareboshi Gin and Ginga Densetsu Weed, and they want more shows to fill Dog Slot when Weed ends. Shows about dogs are preferred but not necessary; one of them has suggested Samurai Pizza Cats, for example.

Age and animation quality are not considerations here. We just want stupid anime about animals to laugh at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

AnacondaHL posted:

Polar Bear Cafe (Shirokuma Cafe) comes to mind immediately. The anime aired just last year, it is quite stupid, laid back, and laugh-at-and-or-with-able.

fake edit: I guess it ran for 50 episodes and ended just last week!

I will definitely look into this.

Also, does anyone know if Nyan Koi or Massagu Ni Ikou are funny-bad or just bad? (I am pretty sure that they're bad, at least. The premise for Nyan Koi certainly looked bad: a dude allergic to cats is in love with a girl who loves cats, so somehow he gets cursed by a cat god to understand cats and if he doesn't fulfill 100 cat wishes he will be turned into a cat and die of anaphylactic shock. Because that's not stupid at all. The other one is just 'the daily lives of dogs' and I am kind of assuming it is to slice of life what Gin was to shonen.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Toshimo posted:

It's not 100% in either bucket, but it sounds like you'd like Baccano.

This is a universal statement, though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Redcrimson posted:

Black Lagoon. Not so much the main character, but basically everyone else is some kind of sociopathic lunatic.

Yeah, Black Lagoon is basically Anime Does Quentin Tarantino.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Black Stones posted:

Okay, do you want a show that just has romance and happy characters? Or you want quirkly and happy, but also with a horribly broken main character? Becuase if it's the second there is close to nothing that I can think of that would fit the bill because that character type and that style of story telling does not go together at all.

Well, the aforementioned Baccano! is super happy and quirky and also involves horribly broken people. The romance is kind of a sideline at best, though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TARDISman posted:

So I just finished Zeta Gundam and Black Rock Shooter and I decided I need something remotely cheerful. Any suggestions for slice of life/romance series with a decent English dub? I've already seen Clannad, Azumanga Daioh, and Lucky Star, so that's a bit of a sampling of what I enjoy.

Ouran High School Host Club is great, except for the beach episode. (The dub is on Netflix streaming.) Lovely Complex is good but not dubbed.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Baccano.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

As a note, go for the Baccano dub if you can get in.

The accents are great and Isaac and Miria's VAs knock it out of the park.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I believe that means you are clinically dead.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ViggyNash posted:

Subject change: What is Durarara compared to Bacanno? Is it a direct sequel, or is it another shenanigans potpourri like Bacanno but with a different setting and cast? If there's one think that really made me love Bacanno it was the brilliantly written achronological method of storytelling that made every single character and event seem fascinating. I really hope Durarara follows the same design principle.

Shenanigans with different setting and cast. There is a brief cameo of Isaac and Miria, that's it. It's a really fun show, but Baccano! was better.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ViggyNash posted:

I figure since the setting is now in a modern city (from what I saw on the wiki) that it doesn't have the same kind of charm that Baccano! did with its old-school conflicts and styles. Does it ever make up for that?

Modern Japan. Mostly, the main problem is that the characters aren't all as fun. Some of them are - I love Celty, Shinra and Shizuo - but the ones who get the most focus, the school kids, aren't as cool.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Corte posted:

Hold up, there are animes where the dub is recommended? I just finished Baccano! and thoroughly enjoyed it also, definitely a nice change of pace from the more formulaic series.

The Baccano! dub is really incredibly good. If you're going to watch a show about New York gangsters, watch the version that gives them New York accents. Tiger and Bunny also has an excellent dub.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Even the show can't take Beck seriously, you're not meant to take Beck seriously.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

pandaK posted:

Not strictly a topic for this thread, but you guys recommended me Bambino a while back which I thoroughly enjoyed. But what's the deal with the sequel? I can't find it anywhere.

So far as I know, it is entirely untranslated. Yeah, I was disappointed, too.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

While I haven't seen it, I understand Full Metal Panic is pretty much 'a bunch of robot pilots attempt to infiltrate a high school' at least early on. Though I can't vouch for quality - I haven't seen it, and I have friends who love it but I have also heard from folks who hate it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Analytic Engine posted:

I've been out of the anime loop for years, can someone point me towards a good psychological thriller or Kafkaesque anime?

I love relatively realistic characters dealing with strange situations, like Paranoia Agent and Satoshi Kon's movies.

Scifi with a heavy mood or noir styling is great too, like Cowboy Bebop, Darker than Black, and Big O.

I've been enjoying Daughter of 20 Faces. It's...well, I think it fits this.

(Plus, there are cameos by the Ratte and the Spruce Goose.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nipponophile posted:

Also, I would suggest The Big O as a series of historical interest. Not only is the look and overall style directly inspired by a Western series (Batman: The Animated Series), which is fairly unique, but the second season was funded by Cartoon Network after a good reception in the U.S.

Fair warning: don't expect the ending to make much sense or be especially satisfying. The trip there's a great ride, though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ViggyNash posted:

I haven't watched it, but I hear Princess Tutu is fantastic and highly recommended, and since Konaka had a hand in the writing it probably is.

Princess Tutu is amazing but I wouldn't recommend it as a kid's show at all. It gets very depressing and pretty goddamn dark despite being about an adorable duck-girl who wants to restore emotion to a prince.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Strange Quark posted:

This might be an odd request, but I have both read the manga and seen the anime for Tokyo Mew Mew a long time ago and remember liking it well enough as a young girl. Which would be better on a re-watch or read?

On that note, are there any recommendations for magical girl series on the more lighthearted side like it or Cardcaptor Sakura? I guess I'm mostly looking to capture the same sense of nostalgia, but I'm open to anything.

Watch the English dub.

I mean, it's a bad show. But the dub is loving hilarious in its badness, while my understanding is that the original versions are just mediocre at best.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm looking for some good stuff to read, but I'm not really sure how to describe my tastes. I'll just list off the stuff I've been enjoying so far, and note that I'd prefer finished series because I don't really like waiting for the next chapter.

I have finished and adored, manga-wise:
Fullmetal Alchemist, The Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, Beck

I have finished and liked:
Bakuman, Yakitate Japan, Ouran Host Club, Onani Master Kurosawa, Molester Man, Lovely Complex

I'm currently really enjoying, but am annoyed by having to wait for:
Silver Spoon, Assassination Classroom, Sengoku Youko, Spirit Circle, Bonnouji, Liar Game

I got bored and stopped reading:
The World God Only Knows, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, Genshiken, Welcome to the NHK

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ShadowMoo posted:

Any good philosophical/brain food/mental masturbation anime like GITS or FLCL made in the past 2-3 years? Tried looking in the wiki but it did not have this category.

I like Hyoka. It's low-key and not flashy or anything, but the animation is great, and while the mysteries are all intensely low-key mysteries, they're all really clever.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Eden of the East has a pretty good dub and is a great conspiracy-thriller-meets-romance show. Baccano! is a good popcorn-munching action show with an amazing dub, but, well, breakneck action.

Princess Tutu is a really amazing dub, too, and a truly excellent show, though it gets pretty heavy, especially for being a show about ballet and a tiny duck that becomes a slightly less tiny dancer.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cake Attack posted:

Alright, here's something of an unusual request. I want you to recommend me your favorite manga. I don't care what genre, what demographic, or even if it's finished or not. I'm looking for something new to read and I'm not feeling like anything in particular, so why not cast a wide net? Here's some of the more popular manga I have read/am reading, to be a little helpful.

Assassination Classroom is great. I'm also a big fan of Baby Steps, which is a shounen tennis manga that is pretty sane and levelheaded.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Princess Tutu, if you haven't seen it.

All of you go watch it, it is the best. Even if you've seen it already.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nate RFB posted:

Since it's been stickied I'll bite: what is the appeal of Gundam Build Fighters? The initial concept seemed like "Angelic Layer but with gunpla!" In general I've never been much of a Gundam franchise fan, if that matters.

I think mostly 'people taking gunpla absurdly seriously' mixed with intensely self-aware Gundam jokes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bonnouji is one of the best mangas out there about relationships.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TARDISman posted:

They spontaneously get fairly modern stuff like Sword Art Online and Attack on Titan. At the same time there's completely boneheaded choices like season 2 of Spice and Wolf and Sengoku Basara but not season 1, and it's still missing the last 10-13 episodes of FMA: Brotherhood.

I believe that's down to their deal with Funimation. They rotate what's available at any given point.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If the eyes were higher I'd say they were eyebrows. What the hell is with that giant fivehead?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

She's just a Muppet, I think.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Drifter posted:

He's describing what science fiction does, rather than science fantasy. You're not 'inside the box' for having a preference about what cartoons you like to enjoy.

Except that transhuman fiction is still science fiction? Using the idea of cybernetics and memory exchange to discuss the concept of identity and what it is attached to is still purestrain sci fi. It's not actually especially complicated philosophy!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Precure's pretty good - it's aimed at kids, not otakus, so it is significantly less creepy than...oh, a good 50% of its genre. There's ten of 'em, and quality varies per series, but that's largely a taste thing. Really, if you're happy to sift by quality, magical girl stuff in general will give you what you want. Lots of friendship/teamwork stuff there. Just, uh, avoid most of the stuff aimed at people over twelve.

Let's see...Baccano and Durarara are both good ensemble casts but not really teams.

E: Oh man, how did I forget Inazuma Eleven, the show about middle schoolers playing soccer as a team? Really goofy, really magical shounen soccer. Also, Uninhabited Planet Survive, in which a team of kids must survive being stranded on an alien planet.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 23, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wark Say posted:

I both read and watched both Lovely Complex and Ouran! They're great and I don't mind giving them another go. Also Tamaki was my favorite Mamoru Miyano-voiced character until Rintaro (seriously, Steins;Gate is loving great) came along.

The Ouran dub is also excellent. And on Netflix!

Also: Tamaki's voice is exactly the same as Edward Elric's.

It's kind of amazing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TARDISman posted:

That's because Vic Mignogna has 2 voices, Ed Elric, and Broly. I like his work as Kurz from FMP and Ed Elric but otherwise he's kinda eh to me.

It's less that I think he's the best VA in the show and more that I like to imagine Edward Elric playing Tamaki.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Captain Invictus posted:

Just noticed that The World God Only Knows in my kissmanga queue is labeled "Completed" now. I've heard good things, but I have to ask: is it worth it overall? It's a pretty hefty series, is it worth reading or does it lose steam and never recover? No specifics needed, really, I'm just curious if it went out with a wet fart and people continued to read it ironically like some people read Bleach, or if it's actually a good series all-around.

Personally, I got bored and stopped reading it halfway through the time travel arc.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, Beck has several significant and important musical numbers in it because it's about a band. But I wouldn't call it a musical.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hm. Have you tried the Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer? It's...not quite what you're asking for, but it's similar.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

fallin1 posted:

I just finished off the first 14 episodes of Sword Art Online and feel like that was the perfect ending for the show. Does anyone else recommend I finish it off or just go onto a new series.

Stop now. Go watch something else, maybe Log Horizon.

SAO gets really creepy and bad, really fast in the second half.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Captain Invictus posted:

Boys on the Run(lovely dork has relationships, fucks up relationships, finds himself)
Sand Chronicles(follows a girl throughout her life and the relationships she has therein)
Sekitou Elergy(or of my favorite series ever, post-school loser takes part time jobs to figure himself out, meets brutish and loud girl while working traffic duty)
Ai-Ren(:unsmigghh:)
The Flowers of Evil(you want relationships? Nakamura spits on your relationships. But it's oh so good and messed up)

I'm not really sure I'd call any of these comparable to Bonnouji or My Girlfriend Is A Geek, which are a lot more slice-of-life and low drama. Maybe Sekitou Elegy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Baccano's dub improves it massively, IMO. Black Lagoon's dub isn't bad but isn't really an improvement. FMA: Brotherhood, likewise - it's not bad, it's just not better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fenrir posted:

Princess Tutu scares me but I'll have to at least give it the 3-5 episode test.

Princess Tutu is a masterpiece. The dub's also decent, though I know some people vastly prefer the Japanese VAs.

I have no idea why it'd scare you, though.

I mean, Drosselmeyer and the Raven take time to build up to terrifying.

• Locked thread