Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just popping in to say Welcome to the NHK was good. I'm not sure how I'd phrase it, but I enjoyed that it was slice of life rendered with some realism, and it explored some psychological concepts.

I watched the dub and it was serviceable but I felt like it was holding the show back from being something truly great, but I get that feeling any time I watch a dub that doesn't have "great" writing. I mean it's just easy to blame the translation when for all I know the writing was like that begin with.

I think the next time I want a show like this, I'll watch Honey and Clover. One thing I liked about the setting of NHK is the main character being poor in a city, especially that little Mitya House apartment. Does Honey and Clover have small apartments and city life? The preview image at the ATDR wiki could be either a city or small town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

HenryEx posted:

I'd also like some recommendations on that, but expand / alter it slightly. I like stories where the plot may be conventional, but the / a main character is either only very reluctantly doing their job or being as much as a bastard about it as possible while still technically being the "hero" of the story. You can also recommend me a manga like that.

Examples for something like these would be AIKI (not really a spoiler) played for comedy and Shin Angyo Onshi (kind of a spoiler?) played straight.

Irresponsible Captain Tyler is about a guy who joins the military for all the wrong reasons and is basically a huge gently caress up and not taking anything seriously.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 10, 2013

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Make sure you go with FMA: Brotherhood if you don't want another case of "what is this bullshit" at the end.

Yeah I get the feeling this is common in anime but just to clarify they're both essentially the same show, except one stops short after out running the manga. Right? Anyway, if you watch Brotherhood you might find the early episodes feel compressed because they're trying to blow through what was in the original, but it makes up for it with the real ending.

I always wondered if someone could tell me at what point the original show diverges from the "real" plot, and correspondingly what episode I should switch to in Brotherhood. I mean I've already watched them both all the way through but if I ever re-watch the show, that's what I'd like to do.

• Locked thread