Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

You guys recommended Haibane Renmei to me after I wrote about liking the realistic, day-to-day/slice-of-life aspects of Niea_7.

I'm 4~5 episodes into Haibane Renmei and I'm finding it to be impossibly boring and the characters completely uninteresting. There's nothing about Rakka that makes me want to know more about her even though I'm clearly supposed to be feeling invested in her integration into this strange society. It comes off similar to M. Night Shyamalan's The Village in which there hints that something is off yet people (mostly) blindly accept their situation, and much like The Village I just feel like the writer thinks it's more compelling/clever than it actually is.

That said, what else might I look into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

DamnGlitch posted:

Asking for a slice of life and then calling it boring is really funny to me for some reason. Like, haha funny.

I completely understand how one would think I'm crazy, but I'm not sure how better to describe it other than I enjoy the ins and outs of running the bath house, working at the noodle bar, and struggling with school that comprises the bulk of in Niea_7's running time, but a lot of that has to do with me really liking Mayuko as a character.

Actually, now that I think about it, I know exactly what the difference is between the two: in Niea_7, we're experiencing the story (largely) from the point of view of Mayuko, a character who has been entrenched in this world for years and is just going about her daily life, whereas in Haibane Renmei, we're experiencing the worth through Rakka and so it's a constant state of discovery which I find less interesting... it's far more compelling (to me) when someone can make the mundane (as viewed from the POV of the main character) interesting than attempting to make a world that is strange and new. This is probably why I also don't like Chobits as much, since Chii (and to a lesser extent Hideki) is in a constant state of discovery.

It's better when characters have accepted things as the way that they are and just go about the business of doing things than characters who coo and gasp at poo poo because it's all so new and fascinating to them.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 28, 2013

• Locked thread