Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

zenintrude posted:

You guys recommended Haibane Renmei to me after I wrote about liking the realistic, day-to-day/slice-of-life aspects of Niea_7.

I'm 4~5 episodes into Haibane Renmei and I'm finding it to be impossibly boring and the characters completely uninteresting. There's nothing about Rakka that makes me want to know more about her even though I'm clearly supposed to be feeling invested in her integration into this strange society. It comes off similar to M. Night Shyamalan's The Village in which there hints that something is off yet people (mostly) blindly accept their situation, and much like The Village I just feel like the writer thinks it's more compelling/clever than it actually is.

That said, what else might I look into?

Hmm. Binbou Shimai Monogatari maybe? Its been a while since I watched it, but the non-comedic slice of life bits of NieA felt kinda similar in tone to most of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Aria series (Aria the Animation, the Natural, and the Origination) is basically the chillest goddamn thing I've ever seen.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Aria series, Hidamari Sketch, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, Kamichu, Minami-ke, and Tamayura are all things that come to mind then. The amount of romance involved varies a lot, but they're all mellow happy slice of life shows.

Smoking Crow posted:

vvvvv Are you joking with me? I've been told by the anime fans I know never to watch K-on. Something about creepy fans?

K-on! is objectively a pretty good show if you like slice of life comedy, but its success is largely to blame for the fact that we get like 4 Moe-blob "3-6 cute girls in a club doing cute things" shows a season now, so it gets a lot of poo poo for that.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 11, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

ShardPhoenix posted:

Is there a recommended way to get into the Fate series? I've heard the first anime wasn't as good as the VN, but I dunno if I want to have to replay a VN 6 times to get the good ending or however that works.

You should really just play it. There's 3 routes, and events change significantly enough between them that it isn't samey at all. Even if you watched the adaptions, only 2/3 of the routes are represented so there's still plot points in Fate/Zero you wouldn't quite get.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Chas McGill posted:

Hyouka was recommended to me when I asked for chill stuff and I see how it fits the bill of problem solving, though I only managed to watch about 4 episodes before giving up because I didn't like the art style/setting very much. Shame, since I love the idea of an amateur detective crew solving mundane mysteries.

Kamisama no Memochou maybe? The mysteries are more serious than Hyouka's though.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Last Emperor posted:

Just finished Gurren Lagann and, holy poo poo, it was amazing. I've never watched any mecha anime before so I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it but it blew over and surpassed all my expectations. I was a bit worried at the start of the second season but then the whole thing just went into overdrive.

Now I need to look for something else while I wait for AoT's new episode so is there anything you guys can recommend?

Specifically I'm looking for something in the vein of either GL or FMA/B. I like shows that have a lot of surprising twists going on, something that'll kept me hooked to watch the next episode like I did with those two shows. I also kind of like characters like Viral from GL and Envy from FMA:B so if the show has that I'd consider it a bonus! :)

Listing what I've watched previously:
Death Note
FMA
FMA:B
Gurren Lagann
Haibane Renmai
Legends of the Galactic Heroes
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo

You could try Aquarion. Its a little monster of the week, but it has some gurren lagann esque bits.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Black Lagoon is the only other thing that comes to mind for me that doesn't break your requirement about no teens.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
What he said. Also I'd recommend trying Darker Than Black, based on what you said you've liked. Its pretty good, and dubbed.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I don't really remember any part of its soundtrack being all that great except for the remix of Sword of Promised Victory.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hidamari sketch maybe? Less goofy than those though. Or the first season of Minami-ke. Squid Girl is good too.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Read Yumekui rather than watch it. The anime is pretty mediocre, and diverges from the manga in some ways straight from the beginning.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Stay/Night is another one where the VN is leaps and bounds better than the adaptation thereof.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sketchbook: Full Color's and Kamichu are some other decent happy slice of life shows.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

The Devil Tesla posted:

Planetes, if you get all happy thinking about space.

I dunno, the main emotion Planetes inspired in me was wanting to punch the male lead in the mouth.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
A lot of the recent suggestions for slice of life qualifies for that. Particularly the Aria series. Tamayura and Ikoku Meiro no Croisee too.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hmm. Sora no Woto maybe?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
.hack is way up there on the list of boringest goddamn things I've watched, and this is coming from someone who likes mellow, atmospheric slice of life stuff.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Some people are just bored to tears by slice of life. I loved that show start to finish, but I can see why some people would find it dull. Its definitely a 3 episode test show though, since the third episode is when it starts to get good.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think the first summer vacation episode was where I really started liking the show. Osaka's ghost story loving killed me and it went up from there.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I assumed the intention was to imply that they were reincarnated and found each other again. If you liked that, you should probably watch Clannad, since it was written by the same folks and actually has the episode count necessary to finish the story.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Naw, its a fairly normal high-school setting. There's some supernatural things that happen, but they're the exception rather than the rule.

There is an alternate ending to Angel Beats too, it shows Otonashi remaining in that world, guiding people to pass on and waiting in the hopes of Kanade appearing there again, much like she waited there for him.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 15, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yep. The closest he got to character development was when the revealed he had demolitions experience during the dirty bomb defusing bit. That aside his role was to be the guy who looked like Batou's chubbier clone.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

ViggyNash posted:

Are there any good detective mystery type shows? I've had a bit of an itch for it since watching Hyouka which did the detective mystery thing amazingly. I tried GoSick but I couldn't deal with it firstly because of the tsundere detective and secondly because Bones doesn't seem to understand what pacing is.

Try Kami-sama no Memochou. Its somewhere in between Hyouka and Gosick, with more serious cases. Also, I dunno how far you got into Gosick before giving up, but I'd recommend finishing it. Its one of my favorites, even with some of the more contrived cases and plotholes.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'd say read the manga of Gunslinger Girl, since it wasn't adapted in its entirety. The anime doesn't end mid-arc or anything, but it does just kind of end with insufficient fanfare.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

RebBrownies posted:

Are Kino's Journey , Gunslinger Girl, and Vampire Hunter D worth the watch?

He was responding to this quote from earlier, not your question.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
There really aren't that many serious yuri shows. Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto are about the only other ones to come to mind, and both are incomplete adaptions of their original works.

Edit: And Strawberry Panic, I guess. It's Maria-sama's slightly retarded cousin basically.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 9, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Pretty sure finding Hack/Sign boring as poo poo has nothing to do with childhood.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Azumanga is great, though the first few episodes are kind of meh while the team seems to work out how to adapt a 4 koma properly. Yes, watch Bebop. I've never watched the sub but I've heard that the dub is better. And for ROD, the ova is good but the series itself is only so-so.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
That sounds like Apocalypse no Toride

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
They're pretty similar, come to think of it. Yuruyuri is a slice of life comedy with an entirely female cast, many of whom have crushes on one or more other member of the cast. Despite that, there's not really much overtly sexual content to the show, so it doesn't really feel as skeezy as that sounds. Yuyushiki is also a slice of life comedy with an entirely female cast, but mostly lacks the lesbian thing. 2 of the 3 main girls frequently sexually harass the third, but they're more messing with her than out of any romantic interest.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Try Tamayura (its second season just aired too) or Ikoku Meiro No Croisee. The former is basically Sketchbook with a smaller cast and a photography theme. The latter is a SoL show about a young Japanese girl living in 19th century France.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Ef's first season gets pretty emotional towards the end of both stories its presenting, and does some really interesting things with the direction. The sequel... just isn't as good, for one thing. I don't really remember any of the awesome directing from the first season happening. While one of the stories is pretty good (they give the whole story about the priest guy and the nun who seems to be a ghost), the other one is fairly creepy, involving a romance between that blonde underclassman (the minor character who's a fan of the mangaka protagonist) and that older guy who's neighbors with the other protagonist.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Its sad, it had a bomb rear end OP too.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The closure or the movie itself? Or both?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I would second Busou Renkin. Really awesome shounen action that people tend to overlook.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I still can't believe they stretched one conversation over so many episodes and it didn't get old.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
You should probably just read the rest of those things that you watched, as neither comes close to the end of their stories. Sasameki Koto especially, Aoi Hana was kind of disappointing in the end though. Besides what's been named, the only other thing I can think of that's got outright yuri themes instead of just a subtext is Kannazuki no Miko, and that's very different in tone than the others.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The problem being it does exactly the things he said he'd like them not to do.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Pretty much that. I liked Regios, but either its an incomplete adaption of its original work, or its just really anticlimactic. Destruction was just pretty bland, something only worth watching if you're really bored and want to see something you haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Someone was translating the manga adaption of it, which was supposedly more accurate than the anime and I enjoyed what there was of it, but its not complete.

• Locked thread