Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Just finished Legend of the Galactic Heroes and must say "Thanks again, ADTRW"

...this comes years after having watched School Days to figure out what all the nega-hype was about. :v: You bastards. That series inspired me to invent the solo drinking game "Every time the episode sucks, get hammered (name subject to change)"

A game where nobody wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Jimbot posted:

Does the "anime" of Knights of Sidonia get any better or more interesting? I'm about 5 episodes in and the only thing that's at all interesting to me is the setting even then it has elements I don't care for. The action isn't really doing much for me either. The cell animation is really distracting, I can't get over how stiff and stilted it is. Nihei sure can do some weird sci-fi but I see that he still hasn't come up with compelling characters.

Yeah, the CG-anime'd Sidonia is a poor adaptation. (Doesn't get much better, at least the first season.) The manga actually reads like Nihei's other work, for the most part.

Torquemadras posted:

Whelp, I'm officially requesting this thread's help. I've been on an extended anime binge these last few days (being hospitalized does that to people :v: ), and I'm looking for more. Maybe some resident anime expert knows some other shows/OVA/movies that fit into it... I'm mostly looking for rather short shows with great animation, preferably finished (for optimal binge-watching). I'm also a sucker for non-chronological or confusing narration, if it comes together in the end. A huge negative are static scenes, boring action and general expressionlessness.

Big fan of: Madoka Magica, Baccano, Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing OVA, almost everything by Satoshi Kon, Redline, Kara no Kyoukai (except movie 6, what the gently caress).
Not overwhelming, but still pretty good: Texhnolyze ( :qq: ), Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (mostly for animation + fun as hell two main characters, didn't really like the others), Kyousougiga, Evangelion (intense dislike for the early episodes, turned incredible in the end), Ghost in the Shell, Tengen Toppa Gurren Langan (very stylish + a bit generic at the start, only really loved it after the time skip), aaaaaaand Kill La Kill + Panty&Stocking (I like stupid + stylish energetic action).
Looked fine at first, then disappointed HARD: Cassheeeeeeeern Sins, Durarara, From the New World, Attack on Titan, Fate/Zero.

Any ideas? I'm not expecting any more lightning in a bottle like Madoka (half the shows listed above I only tried when searching for anything similar), but who knows what else is out there...
Gonna add:

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (very stylish, satire that alternates between witty and goofy)
Steins;Gate (weird personalities + amusing character interactions)
Eve no Jikan
Soul Taker (action/drama, curveball made of style and :psyduck:)
Detroit Metal City

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 16, 2015

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Steins;Gate is... Well, I'm not sure about this one. It seems really slow, right now? Some witty banter. I heard it gets really dark later on? I hope so, because by episode ~3 or so I was getting bored a little. I'm willing to continue this one, though.

Yeah, the plot of Steins;Gate takes a while to get moving, and the characterization tries to distract you from the increasingly ominous paranoia/foreshadowing, but yes it does pick up later on. Ruka and Feris are also potentially kinda weak/annoying characters but their episodes do have some major :wtf: moments.

e: You mentioned liking Texhnolyze and Ghost in the Shell, so I might also recommend Serial Experiments Lain if you haven't seen it by now.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 21, 2015

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Steins;Gate is weird. (...) I like how there's paranoia seeping in everywhere, now that our main dude slowly realizes he's basically piling mistakes on top of each other. (...)

Let's see where this goes.

Sounds like you're almost to the point where the series really takes off.

And yeah, Okabe going insane is the best. Such as the moment that requires playing the VN youtube: (massive spoiler for episode 14) During the infinite death loop, there is a still image of her turned into a jelly... Not a metaphor, it actually happened: during one cycle, Okabe has her hide and while he's still checking the escape route he gets an email with that picture attached. CERN kidnapped her, flew her to France and then shoved her in the LHC just to gently caress with his mind. Best antagonists ever.

:unsmigghh:

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 24, 2015

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

CherryCat posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I definitely think I can find a few series he'll like.

I do already have Ghost in the Shell and Summer Wars on dvd so may start with them. I should clarify that he doesn't have a problem with things set in Japan, he's just not too sure of the more fantastical yokai stuff.

Might also consider:

Space Dandy

Ergo Proxy

Speed Grapher (maybe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Mapparu posted:

hi, i got into this japanese drama (the liars game) and i was wondering if there are animes that have the "escape the room" genre. like specifically like the zero escape series. i watched eden of the east and i really enjoyed so maybe i'm looking for something like that. i used watch slice of life animes like a couple of years ago but, i eventually stop watching anime. tia.

GANTZ - the plot actually involves trying to leave a mysterious room. Manga is much better than the anime, also ~3x longer and the ending makes even less sense.

Haibane Renmei - characters wake up and find themselves in a strange and inexplicable world with only one vague memory in the form of a surreal dream; mystery/drama ensues.

Serial Experiments Lain - no explanation, just watch it.

Mikl posted:

Warning: the Liars Game manga starts out quite good but ends with a wet fart.
Kinda got that feeling as soon as they introduced a losers bracket. "oh yeah that elimination tournament thing completely ruins any chance of plot since it forces the protagonist to win every time... time for some ~twists~ and arbitrary new rules."

• Locked thread