Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Livingtrope posted:

Hello, I am in need of anime that is set in space for various reasons, can someone please help?

Aside from the above-mentioned Planetes there is also a personal favourite of mine, The Girl Who Leapt Through Space. Though that's way past sci-fi into straight space opera.

Also most of the Gundam series are, at least in part, set in space.

e: also, and I can't believe I forgot this, Bodacious Space Pirates.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

John Carstairs posted:

This is exactly what the Aria Perfect Guide Book says. This cat has its breed listed as "Mars Cat." The normal-looking one is listed as an "Earth Cat." (Using the show's wacky sci-fi terms, of course.)

I can agree with that. But then, what the gently caress's up with Amanchu's cat things?

Same author, of course, only the series takes place on Earth.

(By the way, if you like Aria I really recommend Amachu. It's exactly as chill as Aria is.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Davincie posted:

Do anime musicals exist?

Do you mean anime in musical format, or a musical about anime? Because if the latter, there are literally hundreds of them. For example (lifted from another thread in the forums): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SzwSgyF4lI

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Terper posted:

Goshdarn Bonnouji, man.

a kitten posted:

Octave
Aoi Hana
Nana*
Paradise Kiss*
Fragments of Love and other stuff by that same author.
Bonnouji

Give the Shoujo, Josei, and Romance thread a browse too.

*these are licensed and available to purchase

Thanks for recommending Bonnouji guys. I've been marathoning it since I checked out the first chapters thanks to your recommendation, and it's legit one of the best romance manga I have read.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I guess if you squint and look at it sideways, Macross Frontier could qualify as "musical".

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The battles in Gundam Unicorn own bones. The rest of it owns bones too, but is probably not what you're looking for (episode six, for instance, has very little in way of action).

Maybe Macross Frontier? The action in that was pretty good. And also Macross Plus.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I'm interested in watching some anime (or reading some manga) featuring LGBT characters which are treated somewhat realistically. By this I mean no "Oh those silly gays" situations, but no "everyone's gay and life is absolutely trouble-free for them" either.

I'm not picky, the show doesn't have to be about the characters being LGBT.

I've already watched/read Aoi Hana and Hourou Musuko, and also I've read Kinou Nani Tabeta (which features gay main characters). Anything else you recommend?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks for the recommendations, guys :)
I've already read Collectors, but I'll check out the other series.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Comedy answer: Bleach.

Non-comedy answer: does Parasyte have a dub yet? I don't think so since it's fairly recent (still ongoing, as a matter of fact). Otherwise maybe Noein, or Madoka?

(I have no clue which shows have dubs since I don't live in an English-speaking country.)

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

(For the intent of full disclosure: Toradora is one of the few anime I own the DVDs of.)

Like icantfindaname said, it takes a while for the characters to really begin bouncing off each other, and the show doesn't really hit its stride until about midway through the first cour. After that, though, it gets really good.

Also, Toradora is an anime that gets better with subsequent re-watchings, because there are quite a few little things and details that you only notice or only make sense in retrospect, after you know what comes afterwards.

My advice is: stick with it for three-four more episodes at least. If after that you still don't like it, it means it just doesn't fit your tastes (this is not meant to be offensive, different people have different tastes after all :)).

Mikl fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 7, 2015

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

And a whole lot of drugs.

Speaking of which, I've got this weird craving for a batshit-insane off-the-walls anime, one that makes you ponder the exact drug cocktail that the people were making the show were on (because there's no doubt they were high on something), but is still an enjoyable ride all the way through. Anyone have any shows like that to recommend?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Working!, Working!! and, coming next season, Working!!! (note the different amount of exclamation points). Also ServantxService.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

If you liked Voices of a Distant Star, there's a manga adaptation of it which I liked better than the anime.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Dessel posted:

Sora No Woto I've heard of and considered sometimes, but moe girls doing war kind of stretches the believable aspect.

The girls are soldiers but they're not doing war, they're stationed in a random unimportant border town close to a country they're at peace with. The reasoning being that since a war just ended and "real soldiers" are scarce, they would be too valuable to waste on such a posting.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

House of the Sun.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

UQ Holder.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Read Or Die is somewhat like what you're looking for, it's an old three episode OVA that has superpowered people from a spy agency fight superpowered villains to stop them from destroying the world.

There's also a TV series, R.O.D. the TV, but I never watched that.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

CherryCat posted:

I've been very slowly introducing my boyfriend to anime for a while, so far he's seen Cowboy Bebop, FMA:Brotherhood, Attack on Titan and some Lupin III and Outlaw Star as well as a bunch of Ghibli films.

I'm looking for some decent action/sci-fi without any overly Japan-ness (wasn't a fan of Spirited Away). In general he likes stuff with a good amount of character building and decent plot so any recommandations would be much appreciated.

Just series or also movies? If the latter: Summer Wars and Patema Inverted are top-shelf choice.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

March Comes In Like a Lion and The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I can't believe I forgot about Silver Spoon.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Zerilan posted:

Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer didn't catch my interest the first time o checked it out, but I'll give it another shot and look at your other suggestion and Ashitaka no Joe. Chihayafuru and Silver Spoon I've watched/read.

Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer quite frankly starts out as Generic Shonen (even though it's Seinen), but you get hints of how good it can get from the "Yuuhi travels back home to visit his grampa" mini-arc, and it gets really good once the other Animal Knights start showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Definitely read the Liars Game manga.

Warning: the Liars Game manga starts out quite good but ends with a wet fart.

• Locked thread