Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

If you like Urasawa and berserk try some Yukimura manga like Planetes and Vinland Saga.

Also definitely read some Taiyo Matsumoto, he is probably one of the best around. Start with black and white/tekkon kinkreet ( I think nearly everyone probably starts there) then move onto his sports manga like hanaotoko and ping pong. Then everything else after that I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

If you can handle the Mahjong in Akagi try Ten, also by Fukumoto. If not, then Gambling Emperor Legend Zero has some real interesting and weird gambles.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Wark Say posted:

I have a somewhat easy to understand request, which is kinda what I was posting on another thread. I want to read/watch something where the protagonist is (whether implicitly or out in the open) told how much he sucks, or how he himself realizes that he sucks/he's an horrible person... and then he decides to grow up. "No loving excuses, boyardee, you suck rear end; you need to be whipped into some drat shape".

I don't really mind if it's fantastic or down to earth. Just... something that screams "DO SOMETHING".

Try reading Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa. Here is my lovely endorsement of it from my FKMT thread

quote:

The Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa

A samurai! They should've all disappeared in the late 19th century... But there was stil one samurai who managed to survive... and he's right here! Right here in 21st century Tokyo!

Kurosawa is 45 years old and has been doing the same thing for the past 25 years; working as a construction worker. He has no wife, no kids, no family. No friends. If he were to die tomorrow no one would care, and things are looking like none of this will change. He is going to die alone with nothing to show for it, never having made a single impact on the world. Well, Kurosawa decides he can't let this happen, he has to do something. He has to make friends, he has to find a wife, he has to have some kids. Just something, anything. Hell, even maybe just a little respect. And that what The Legend of the Strongest man Kurosawa is about. However, his strength isn't just the power provided by his big, burly body, though that's a part of it. There is another quality that Kurosawa possesses that makes him so strong. Unlike a majority of Fukumoto's works since Ten, Kurosawa doesn't involve any gambling.

Kurosawa is Fukumoto's best work. Probably one of the best manga of the last decade. There is something really special about that you won't be able to understand just by seeing a few panels. Behind Fukumoto's wierd art and goofy humor, there is a very serious story. Do yourself a favor and read this.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Lallander posted:

I am on a swashbuckling kick lately and have exhausted my supply of western movies and TV shows. Robin Hood, The Three Musketeers, The Man in the Iron Mask, The Court Jester, The Princess Bride. I've watched everything even remotely like that that I can track down. Is there anything comparable in anime? Interesting sword fighting, bravado, adventure on the high seas?

As someone said, the anime you are looking for is Dezaki's Treasure Island. It was made on a shoe string budget but it's still one of his best works, which is saying something considering what he has been involved with.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Guyver posted:

It ended a couple months ago, after 15 years spanning 20 volumes.
Nope. Still not over

Washizu just had some sort of near death experience and has come back. He appears to be super hosed up through.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm looking for a show with a talking cat who is a huge jerk.

I've seen Darker Than Black, Nichijou, and Natsume Yujin-cho. Don't suggest Nyan Koi.

Space Dandy

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Besides Legend of Galactic Heroes, is there any anime or manga out there that is recommendable for someone who loved House of Cards?
Read Sanctuary. It's about two friends trying to transform Japan into their very own sanctuary. One becomes a yakuza, and the other a politician, and the manga follows them as they try to reform both the underworld and the government of Japan. It's written by Buronson and illustrated by Ryoichi Ikegami, so it's pretty good poo poo. This was a really lovely summary or whatever but trust me, if you liked house of cards you'll probably like this.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Garrand posted:

So I watched Ping Pong as it was being released. It was my first anime in a long time and now I've decided to see if I can find some more I like, though what I'm looking for might be a little specific.

What I'm looking for is an anime that is very character driven or character focused; where the characters have an actual story arc of some kind and the interactions between them are important to the overall plot (or are the plot entirely, either way.) Genre doesn't matter, although I'd guess drama or some kind of slice of life story would be the best sort for what I'm asking.

I'm also hoping to find something that doesn't have a ton of verbal exposition. My experience with anime is limited, so it may just be my luck, but I hate it when characters basically explain to the audience what literally just happened. I just want some things left unsaid, even if they are strongly implied. Especially if they're strongly implied, since I'd like to not be treated like an idiot by the show I'm watching.

if you'd be down to read some manga instead just check out anything by the author of Ping Pong, Taiyo Matsumoto. Check out his stuff like Tekkon Kinkreet and GoGo Monster, both of which have english releases. Or if you are looking for a quick fix and just want to download something read Hanaotoko.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

just tell him to show episode 4 of the first Patlabor OVA

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is "cop show" anime a thing? What I really want from this world The Wire-esque anime

Mad Bull 34. there is an ova series and also someone is kind of translating the manga

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

I also enjoyed it an absurdly huge amount though I didn't like the (ending spoilers) "where they are now" epilogue which was kind of dumb but it seems like I frequently dislike the endings of shows I love so that doesn't really say much. I can't even say why I thought it was so good other than the fact that it didn't have any stupid melodrama and the characters were all terribly flawed people but overcame their issues in various ways.

Now I wanna watch it again :mrwhite:

The manga handled the ending better, or at least I thought so. Yuasa was too nice to the characters throughout the anime and the epilogue was definitely one of those moments. Felt doing so kind of missed the point I thought the manga made about facing and accepting the reality of one's potential and limits. Or at least that's what I thought.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

I wonder if oshii knows he broke my heart when he had noa say she didn't want to be known as the labor otaku girl forever

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Probably looking more for manga than anime here so I have stuff I can read on the bus, but looking for some character study style drama. Can be romance/mystery/etc, with or without supernatural elements are ok, just stuff that really focus more on the characters than events and do a good job of making the audience care about the characters. I guess for examples of what I'm looking for: recently watched/read Only Yesterday and Goodnight, Punpun; which both fit what I'm looking for while being otherwise really different.

earnestly suggesting Ashita no Joe. It is legitimately one of the best characters studies in manga. If not the best. There is a reason why Joe, as a character, resonated with an entire generation of Japanese manga readers and still, nearly 50 years later, is one of the most iconic anime characters beaten only by the likes of Astroboy, Doraemon, ect.

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Thread title was dumb cuz logh isnt even directed by Osamu Deazaki and was also kind of a niche anime

• Locked thread