Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Che Delilas posted:

That show had me in stitches, and I'm about as far away from the target demographic as you can get.
Same. I was introduced to Ouran by a friend in college and it ended up becoming one of my favorites.

That the DVD collection sits right next to Ninja Scroll on my shelf is just a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Endorph posted:

the beach episode owns what are you talking about

"What's with the crab?"
"Oh? Do you find it... crab-tivating?"
Probably means the scene between Kyoya and Haruhi after dinner.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Endorph posted:

That scene is really weird, but isn't it in the dance episode? Or am I thinking of another uncomfortably rapey Kyoya scene?
Nope, it's the beach episode. I rewatched the whole series relatively recently, so I'm pretty sure.

Second time around I think I understand what they were trying to go for, but it's still a pretty uncomfortable and inelegantly handled scene.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I only watched the first two episodes of it so perhaps someone else can tell you better, but Mononoke.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Viggy just trying to mold a better class of anime connoisseur and we all hating on him.

I believe in you Vigs. You'll get your short answer essay response someday.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

How could I not third Giant Robo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I still believe.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VemrhM9Y35M

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Shinkai is hit and miss for me. I thought Voices of a Distant Star was trite and inane, but 5 Centimeters Per Second is one of my favorite animated movies.

Everything else I've seen by him is alright but hasn't really stuck with me.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

But 5cm/s is mostly the same as all his other stuff. Albeit it has a nice structure and is one of his best looking movies, but ultimately samey and disappointing.
I am okay with the insinuation that Shinkai just tells the same story over and over again with the understanding that he finally got the formula right in 5 Centimeters.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The point is people drift apart, and that's okay. Dude's childhood friend is moving away, and he spends a significant portion of his youth pining for his lost love instead of pursuing new relationships. Meanwhile, another girl takes an interest in him, but their relationship goes nowhere because he's still thinking about "Her" while the new girl can't stop thinking about "Him" even though she knows it's one-sided.

At the end of the film when he thinks he sees his lost love and turns around and the trains speed past, blocking his view, he stands there waiting for them instead of moving on (with his life). When the trains disappear, of course, there's no one there. He was waiting for nobody. He spent all that time waiting for nobody. Finally he smiles, for what seems like the first time since he and his childhood friend parted ways, and moves on.

Watching 5 Centimeters as somebody who's been through that kind of thing - getting bogged down over a relationship that's already over at the expense of forging new ones - it became an incredibly important movie to me.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I remember having some problem with Kino's Journey, but it's been so long since I watched it that I can't recall what it was.

I didn't dislike it or anything, I just remember something about it really bugging me.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nah, though it was probably the first time my expectations for a show's art direction (informed by Kuroboshi's illustrations) had to be lowered when faced with the finished product. Them's the breaks, of course. I know that now. At the time though, it was pretty disappointing.

I feel like it was something more central to how the show operated. Good thing I've got the DVDs right here so I can watch 'em again.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sometimes I wonder what Imaishi would come up with given two cours, a blank check, and zero restrictions.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

in other words it's really good and i like it. the rap part, at least, not the opera part so much
The marriage of rap and opera represents the culmination of human musical achievement.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I started reading Ran and the Gray World back when it was first getting translated and decided I'd rather read the whole thing in one swoop, so I held off.

Time to get back to it I guess.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'd recommend the Baoh manga over the OVA, if you're not opposed to some light reading. The anime will definitely scratch that beer and pretzels sci-fi horror itch, but it cuts out some of the fights that really elevate Boah to a higher rung of memorable mediocrity.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9fhQVMzlC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9jWrj0ihHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmbW6WXLeW4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnY_RgdTlZo

Watch Redline.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Redline is actually worth watching more than once if you've got the time or the inclination. The first time through it's easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer kinetic energy of it all, but once you know the major beats there's actually a lot of subtle nuances and blink-and-you-miss-it details to pick up.

It's the sort of film I regularly introduce my friends to, and each time I've noticed something new.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

While I don't think Space Dandy is ultimately what you're looking for, it's worth noting that the first three episodes are easily the worst and the whole show improves dramatically afterwards.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

At least they picked a name that warned you that consuming it was a bad idea.
This is my new favorite anime-related joke.

Thank you.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bleach is actually pretty solid right up until they actually enter the Soul Society, after which Tite Kubo spends the next several years circling the drain.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I've wanted to before, but there's one very critical problem I have with that series: I hate the main character's look. His design is a loving disaster. I seriously can't get over it.
What are you talking about, Killua looks fine.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

In all seriousness though if your only hang up is Gon's design, watch it anyway. I began watching it on a lark and ended up burning through the whole thing in like a month.

It's good. Better than Bleach ever was, and certainly a better use of your time with what it's become now.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Read or Die OVA is good stupid fun.

Also, while it isn't really about spies, Lupin III sometimes relies on a lot of the same elements.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Read or Die OVA simulwatch when?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

What are some good action shows? I've already seen basic stuff like Fate/Zero, Chaika, and JoJo, in addition to all those old shows you'd see on Toonami like Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell.
Hellsing Ultimate has great action, though I'd argue poor fighting.

Baccano! is only intermittently action-packed, but it's pretty entertaining when it is. Short and sweet.

Casshern Sins is full of fights and philosophical meandering if that's your thing. Alternatively, the Read or Die OVA is dumb fun you don't have to think too hard about.

If you're open to movies, there's always Redline and Sword of the Stranger. There's also Ninja Scroll, but that's a little harder to recommend since the plot involves a rape at one point and it's not exactly handled delicately.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

Samurai Champloo

Hunter X Hunter
I forgot to mention both of these for some reason and recommend them as well.

Hunter x Hunter especially if you liked Jojo.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

White was good. She provided someone "Normal" for Leo to bounce off of and bond with in this new world filled with maniacs.

Black's problem is that his character is pretty much sabotaged by Blank, who's so boring he makes other characters boring by association.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

At the most basic level, here's why the twin's story falls flat;

A brother and sister have an unknowably powerful entity appear before them out of the blue and declares they must make a choice. The brother is given supernatural gifts while the sister suffers as a result. Now, did I just talk about Leo and Michella or White and Black?
I don't think the fact that Black and White's story parallels Leo and Michella's is inherently a bad thing, the problem is that they don't do enough with it. Rather than any sort of thematic resonance, it just comes off as a coincidence.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

That loving panda is an abomination
:frogout:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sinking Ship posted:

So I'm looking for a actiony / well-animated / MC curbstomping fools like a badass while dramatic music plays type anime.

Sakurazuka posted:

If you haven't seen Sword of the Stranger or Redline start there.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Parts 1, 2, and 3 are all good.

Parts 1 and 2 benefit the most from the adaptation however, whereas Part 3 suffers.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I believe Araki confirmed in an interview somewhere (not that I have it on hand) that whenever Jotaro isn't saying anything he's always trying to think of cool stuff to say, which was always something I think most of us half-expected.

Jotaro actually has a lot more going on under the hood than he lets on about, but a lot of it is revealed in very subtle ways. Typically speaking, most manga characters are a fountain of emotions, sometimes even with dialogue dedicated solely to clarifying those emotions while they're expressing them. Because of this, by comparison, it's easy to just write Jotaro off as a brick wall when really he's just a quiet guy. It's even easier with the anime, since standardized character designs means Jotaro's stone cold default expression is on the screen 99% of the time without anything in the way of nuance. It's one of those things that even with the advent of the anime pushes me to recommend the manga over it, since Araki's style communicates a lot that gets lost in conversion.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I love all the fights. I didn't initially, I'll admit, but over the course of rereading the series (several times) I've definitely come to appreciate all of them. Even the weaker ones.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There's always Patlabor.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Patlabor movies are stand-alone stories that can be watched with or without extensive knowledge of the rest of the franchise. They're also part of the OVA continuity, rather than the TV show, but that comes down to details.

The first Patlabor movie is great. The second Patlabor movie is well-liked by a lot of people, but I am not one of them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Oh he knows.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

"Fascinatingly unpleasant" is an apt description for Kemonozume, though for my money it starts out more fascinating and ends up more unpleasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you don't know anything about Lupin, the Woman Called Fujiko Mine is actually a pretty solid introduction.

• Locked thread