Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

atrus50 posted:

Are there any great celebrations of capitalism out there? Like something where the main characters get stuff, and then use that stuff unapologetically to get more and bigger stuff?

Spice and Wolf is all about a traveling merchant's pursuit of the almighty dollar (though it also deals heavily with his relationship with a pagan wolf deity).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Eureka Seven I always thought was just a decent show up until around episodes 24, 25, 26, and 27. At that point I was totally hooked, where previously E7 was just that show I watched while i was waiting for whatever show came after it on Adult Swim.

SpaceViking fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 30, 2013

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

akarin posted:

indeed, i've seen them. valium is helping. any other?

You could try Working!! if you haven't seen it already.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

RebBrownies posted:

Also why does K-ON have such a huge following? I have never seen it, but is it because it is good or because it is loaded with pillow case worthy waifus?

Every positive opinion I've heard about it from non-creeps is that it's light, it's fluffy, and it's fun. It's just a bunch of friends who have a band together having fun.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Bit similar, but how much is there for "goofy dude(s) fight crime in a setting that doesn't take itself overly seriously?" I'm thinking of stuff Tiger and Bunny or Gurren Lagann as roughly the kinda thing I'm thinking of. Doesn't have to be overly exact to that general description either, since stuff like One Piece would work fine too.

It's not always crime, but Gintama is kind of similar. They're just lazy bums who have an odd-jobs business and sometimes beat up criminals for being dicks, and sometimes get into fights with the law because they're dicks too. And the setting doesn't even come close to taking itself seriously, it's an alt-history Japan where instead of Commodore Perry arriving, it was aliens.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Poniard posted:

what the gently caress

Can someone give me a cool horror anime if one exists? Thanks fellow japanimation-watchers.

VVV thanks man, sounds good! VVV

Paranoia Agent is more psychological, but it's a very good show.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Anatharon posted:

So I like Death Note. On the other hand other psychological mystery manga seem to be divided into fantastic, weird shounen and overly grimdark seinen. Any ideas?

Paranoia Agent.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

WickedHate posted:

How about some heroic anime? For justice, goodness, all that. Alternatively, something with a strong moral message.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Redcrimson posted:

Black Lagoon should fit that description pretty well. I prefer the anime, but the manga is fine. They cover pretty much the exact same material. It is currently on hiatus though, I'm pretty sure.

The anime is on hiatus, the manga is being updated slowly but surely.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Rkelly posted:

As far as high school dude and a cooky fun cast goes with a crazy supernatural element stuff goes, I am loving Strike the Blood, Mushibugyo, the new irregular at magic high show, brunhyldr, ambition of oda nobuna, killakill, nobunagun any other stuff like this?

Any other newer shows like this that aren't called magical warfare hahhah?

Just start watching Reborn, and its almost like a weird alternate reality yu yu hakusho with this weird baby yelling reborn and popping out of any random nook or cranny. Enjoying it for some reason.

Reborn falls off really hard really fast, at least in my experience. The premise is neat, but then it doesn't really do anything besides cliche shonen bullshit with it. Not sure of any newer stuff like that though, beyond the ones you listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Lukavi posted:

It's been a long time since my fiance and I have sat down to watch a anime/cartoon together and I've been out of the scene myself for awhile. I'd like a recommendation for something for us to watch on the couch every now and then.

+
Comedy, action, drama or mix
Complete
Definitive ending

-
Explicit sex
Long (+30eps)
Ongoing

Her:
Disney/Pixar
MLP (ugh, non-creapy way but.. ugh, I have to leave the area when on)

Me:
Basara
Gurren Lagann
Hellsing
Baccano

Us:
Cowboy bebop
Girls Bravo (retarded but we both thought it was funny)
Tiger and Bunny (Both of use loved this one 100%)

I showed her some parts of Everyday Life of High School Boys that I thought were funny as hell and she didn't care much for them. Recently she saw the description for Attack on Titan and I think she might like it but it isn't finished and it bugs me to no end. I'm thinking maybe Sword Art Online but its a bit long and she may not hang on the whole way, the 2nd season was a letdown too. Death Note was another I was thinking of but I quit ~half way through I think due to slow pace.

Since you both liked Bebop, you could give Samurai Champloo a try if you haven't already.

• Locked thread