Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

This is actually true. Friend who had not seen any anime but loved eva (had only seen the first two episodes of Eva), got her to watch FLCL and Gunbuster, then went into the long Eva haul.

Counterpoint: ex who was totally not into anime at all really dug cowboy bebop and then dug FLCL.

Did not dig Gunbuster but I made her watch the whole thing anyway.

Loved Galactic Heroes. Show your loved ones Galactic Heroes.

Cannot stress this one enough. LOGH is like, one of the greatest shows ever made period, and I've shown it to several friends who hate anime but loved the poo poo out of LoGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Inferno Cop

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Gunbuster is pretty terribad in the execution of most of it but it's simultaneously got a Wicked sweet premise and actually attempts to pay lip service to physics at speeds approaching the speed of light which was neat. Drop down and give me 20 robo-pushups!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Like, don't get me wrong, I really liked it, mainly the end. It's just pretty tacky in that hammy 80's way that's easy to laugh at, basically up to the protag's first battle with the aliens. After that it gets real fuckin cool

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Doctor isosceles I'd recommend checking out Shinsekai Yori(From the New World). I feel it's one of those shows that's better the less you know about it going into it, but if you've ever heard of/read the book 'The Giver' you'll definitely get some similar vibes from the premise. It's a story of a group of children growing up together in a dystopian, low technology society several hundred years in the future that developed out of a horrific war that started in the early 21st century. Not sure what the ADTRW zeitgeist is on it, but I really enjoyed it.

For both of you, I'd recommend checking out The Devil is a Part Timer, which is a slapstick comedy about the Devil and his right hand man from a parallel high fantasy world escaping to modern day Tokyo, to escape capture by the stereotypical forces of good who send their best Paladin to chase him down. It's pretty hilarious

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The first season works pretty good by itself, and I haven't bothered to watch the new season.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

While these two argue about Knights of Sidonia, you should watch Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World.

Confirming that this is the correct course of action

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The clips from that comedy redub is one of the only redubbing efforts that I've thought was actually hilarious. Teamfourstar and it's ilk are retarded 90+% of the time.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The first half of the first season of JoJo that I've seen is pretty great. You tell me after this :v: http://imgur.com/gallery/NeqTukk

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I really enjoyed Haibane Renmei, but fundamentally it's not an action packed show. There's an interesting mystery behind it, and the ending is pretty interesting, but don't expect anything like Madoka in terms of it being chill then going to insanely awesome and filled with action.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It should be

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CherryCat posted:

I've been very slowly introducing my boyfriend to anime for a while, so far he's seen Cowboy Bebop, FMA:Brotherhood, Attack on Titan and some Lupin III and Outlaw Star as well as a bunch of Ghibli films.

I'm looking for some decent action/sci-fi without any overly Japan-ness (wasn't a fan of Spirited Away). In general he likes stuff with a good amount of character building and decent plot so any recommandations would be much appreciated.

If you're okay with a show with a bit of a longer burn, you guys should check out the show right in the title, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, in the order recommended by the ADTRW thread for it. It's one of the best space operas ever made, period, animated or otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
my recommendation is watch LOGH, show good, ver good show

• Locked thread