Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cisneros posted:

Holyland.

Oh god Holyland! That comic was so cringe-inducing at first because it reminded me of the poo poo-hole that was my city after the economy crapped the bed in the mid 90's. But after a while, yeah: It's a comic about dealing with depression.

In the most brutal of ways. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KittyEmpress posted:

The anime or the manga my best bet for enjoying it?

Manga suffers from translations being a little uneven until at least the fifth part, but it's pretty good.

David Productions, the studio responsible for the anime, really knocked it out of the goddamn park with the adaptation for parts 1 and 2 so far. My recommendation would be thus: Read the manga if you don't mind translations spotty at places and then watch the anime.

Crap! You're right. It's the Sixth Part where they start getting coherent. Translation-wise, of course. :haw:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 14, 2013

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I have a somewhat easy to understand request, which is kinda what I was posting on another thread. I want to read/watch something where the protagonist is (whether implicitly or out in the open) told how much he sucks, or how he himself realizes that he sucks/he's an horrible person... and then he decides to grow up. "No loving excuses, boyardee, you suck rear end; you need to be whipped into some drat shape".

I don't really mind if it's fantastic or down to earth. Just... something that screams "DO SOMETHING".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Adventures was the first one, Adventure 02 was the other one, and the ending of 02 had them grown up.

And seriously the ending of 02 was terrible. Even beyond the 'must marry all characters off' thing, it had one of the characters from 02 - Davis was his US name, I forget his JP one - opening a noodle cart because that was his dream. Sure, that works - Davis was characterized as being a really simple little kid, I could see him growing up and being completely happy with just walking around town selling people noodles.

But no, that noodle cart becomes world loving famous and a multi-billion dollar franchise.

That sounds horrible. Wasn't there a Digimon series where a human dude went around beating the stupid out of other Digimon without using one? Was that a thing? Was I tripping in one of those really hazy dreams that happen because your body suddenly hates you? Both?

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Try reading Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa. Here is my lovely endorsement of it from my FKMT thread

You were so right. This one is glorious. The other that was recommended: Beyond the, well... less than savory title, is it non-indicative of the development that happens? Oh well, might as well take a gamble. :ohdear:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, change of plans:

• Watching the poo poo of out of the Digimon Savers show because that Agumon kept calling the dude doing the punching-screaming "aniki"; dinosaurs using honorifics and having that no-good punks attitude is rad. Also indiscriminate punching-screaming.
  • Going to read both Kurosawa (which is already a work in process) and the "other one".

You're both beautiful for making this happen.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Finally read the Kurosawa pair...

Goddammit. I was NOT ready. :qq:
Thanks Cake and Ringo. Pain is a good master.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^^^

Yes, just watch that. While everything about that shows is hilarious, Tomokazu Seki is the greatest goddamn japanese voice actor for that type of comedy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god. Detective Conan is STILL A THING. I remember they were trying to bring a dub over here in the mid-to-late 90's along with Slam Dunk and, unlike the adventures of Sakuragi and the Japanese Chicago Bulls Shohoku, it tanked. Horribly.

So, after crying like a bitch with the Kurosawa pair, I needed a pick-me-up and this season's Devil is a Part-Timer is doing a fine job, but I'm kinda jonesing for more. What would you recommend that is consistently funny? Romantic Elements and Action are okay as long as it doesn't devolve into Love Hina bullshit / Infinite Stratos snore-fest; I want to bust my sides just like I've done with Devil.

Blhue posted:

Darker Than Black

Darker than Black has one of the best dubs I've watched this side of Baccano. Go for it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know it's part of the title of this thread, and even after I've already checked both the entry on the wiki and its respective thread, AND YES this is probably gonna make me sound like an utter poser, but I'm kind of... intimidated by the prospect of actually committing to Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Is there a recommendation on how to tackle it? The way it sounds and how it's compared to Zeta Gundam makes it sound like it could be manageable and super good.

On the other hand, it seems like there's A LOT of important characters, like keeping-tabs-on-names-with-a-notebook amount of important characters; it is also sounds like something you really want to immerse yourself in. So... drat, I guess I just want to be one of the cool kids?

Seriously though. How did you manage?

e: vvvv Sounds like a plan! I found a torrent. Hopefully I can start the thing when the session is over.

I'm kinda excited, you guys. :)

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 7, 2013

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nichibros is still great, though, so no problems there. But seriously, give Wild Tiger a chance, he will warm your heart in ways you thought impossible.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tonight, I'll start watching LoGH... however, since I'm pretty much just going to watch that for the rest of the year on Fridays, I need a further recommendation for the weekends: Can you recommend me something creepy to read or watch?

Now, when I say creepy, I say in a sense of something akin to Horror or Thriller, not like... you know, skeevy :pedo: bullshit or anything of the sort. Something that makes you cringe because you can't help but to get this feeling of complete helplessness when watching the characters. Like what the Silent Hill series had going for it on the original tetralogy or Shiki on its more :suspense: moments.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You guys are jerks. Awesome jerks, though. Thanks for the effective recommendations. Higurashi seems right up my alley after wolfing down the 2 LOGH movies. :tviv: it was just 2 movies, and I'm already hooked on this goddamn series. 108 episodes to go!

Goddammit, I don't want to marathon either series. I want to enjoy the slow burn that comes from enjoying it slowly, like... a good dessert?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What's all this Captain Tsubasa nonsense you guys keep bringing up? If there is one series every Latin American kid saw back in the early-to-mid 90's, it was Super Campeones, starring Tsubasa Oozora Oliver Atom and Genzo Wakabayashi Benji Price. With the most rocking intro we could ever hope to deal with.

And yes, they left the italian credits at the beginning and end. It was also especially awesome to catch the few times they actually left the original Japanese credits with a different song altogether. :mexico:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I think Space Bros would also fit the bill, then.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If they only have to be 5, your list is very good. It's a hard decision on the fifth one, though, because as much as I dig on the White Devil, the aforementioned Goku and Luffy are more well known... yet, at the same time, Astro Boy's presence on that list pretty much makes them redundant. Maybe a Koji Kabuto or Akira Fudo?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cisneros posted:

A childhood of reading Mortadelo y Filemón and Condorito has left me with a love of really obvious punchlines, is there something comparable to the type of humor that Gintama uses? I've seen it's more or less common on slice of life types, but those are extremely hit and miss, so some recommendations would be nice(manga or anime is ok).

Oh god, Condorito. I didn't even knew how to read Spanish properly but I somehow knew what "PLOP!" meant. :xd:

jonjonaug posted:

I've never watched Gintama but Daily Lives of High School Boys is a great comedy and I've heard the two compared very often.

Yeah, Daily Lives of High School Boys (aka Nichibros) and Gintama have a very similar feel in that, while super mundane, the jokes knock it out of the park like nothing when executed properly. Seriously, go for Nichibros; you're in for a ride.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A quick question. Now that Summer's here, I kinda haven't made up my mind on what to watch and given that, while magnificent, Legend of The Galactic Heroes is not precisely a cheery show (except when the most charming man among men appears :allears:) and I kinda want to watch an Anime that's more upbeat in overall tone, a friend made me the recommendation of the Aquarion Duology.

Since he's made me watch some anime that went from so-so to horrible poo poo in the past, I kinda wanted to ask here: Are they any good? I'm not asking for the second coming of Gurren Lagann, I just want to see a series whose characters bust a move and strut their stuff.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

a kitten posted:

Bwahahaha :suicide:

Have you seen Hyouka? It's not science fiction or action like some of the other shows you've mentioned, but it is pretty upbeat and a lot of fun in addition to being really well animated.

Hyouka was absolutely fantastic from start to finish and, believe it or not, I thought that the characters were so refreshing that they felt like actual dudes and ladies you could shoot the poo poo with. I've also watched it twice and while I can honestly see myself watching it a third time, I kind of want to see a series with an upbeat tone inside a sci-fi / mecha setting. But...

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't Aquarion the mecha show where the robots are powered by orgasms or something like that?

... if this is remotely true, Aquarion can gently go gently caress itself. I really need to give my buddy a smack upside the head.

Like, I'm not against a little T&A / Fanservice or whatever because hell, Game of Thrones has that in spades and that doesn't make the show lovely, but if I'm going to watch slightly different variations of the same bloody guys and the same bloody girls having re-imagined scenes of them checking their brains out, I can sit this one out. If you guys and gals have another recommendation among the lines of what I mentioned, I'm open to recommendations. :)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^ I'll check it out, a kitten. Thanks!

ViggyNash posted:

I'm curious Wark, did your friend ever suggest School Days to you?

Oh no. Noooooope. School Days was back in 2008, when I was still doing Software Development / Testing as a full-time gig. I remember it perfectly: The person who recommended me School Days was also the lady with who I watched all of Code Geass and we even watched as R2 was coming out. It also made me stumble into this forum for the first time. I still remember that she made me the School Days recommendation a day after we watched the second to last episode of CG:R2 and she lent me the series in a USB thumb drive.

I stopped watching/following anime for almost a year afterwards. It wasn't until I went to Tokyo in March of 2009 to do record engineering. Found out (out of the Voice Actors' mouths, no less) that FMA: Brotherhood was a thing that was happening / about to happen. It was also the month that I spent being bros with Tomokazu Sugita and I still owe that dorky fellow my life because he actually made the effort of getting me to cheer the gently caress up. Also to realize that bars are loving packed at night. No exceptions.

Sorry if that went off a weird tangent. But yeah, School Days remains a... peculiar mark in my Anime-watching history. And I'm still accepting recommendations on that upbeat anime with mechas / sci-fi.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 28, 2013

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a timeless story and, without meaning to sound pretentious as gently caress, a story that would make the likes of War and Peace proud. Despite the Science-Fiction setting, it is -with VERY few exceptions so far- one of the most grounded works of fiction I've watched, and the more you dedicate yourself to watching it, the more it rewards you and the more you appreciate it. It's not trying to tell a new story.

Hell, the quote most associated with the show spells it out for you. But it's a story worthy of (re)visiting. I'm halfway through the show, now. I do hope the good things keep on coming.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, after finishing Legend of The Galactic Heroes --one of the best (probably Top 5) shows I've ever watched-- and some other of the recommendations you guys made, I'm looking for something slightly different.

Since I'm going to have a lot of free time in my hands, I kind of want to watch two contrasting shows. While I was watching the last "season" of LoGH, I also decided to rewatch Monster and TTGL, which sort of brings me to my first question: Could any of you honorable goons recommend any anime/manga where one of the main characters (doesn't matter if he's the villain or protagonist) is a serial killer in that same creepy-as-hell flavor that Johan had going for? Anime would be better, since I'm going to be doing stationary bike as physical rehabilitation and it would be rad to watch it while doing one part of my routine.

The other type of show it's... well, since I mentioned Gurren Lagann, I read a bit about mecha series that aren't related to Sunrise or Gainax, so I found a franchise that goes by the name Muv-Luv. Since I read that the main chunk of the franchise is on a Visual novel format, and the current computer that I use for entertainment would get destroyed if I so much as look at it funny in regards to installing anything, I was wondering: Was the anime that got made based on Muv-Luv any good? All I've seen are some google images focusing on tacky fanservice (and two girls look pre-teen while wearing skin-tight jumpsuits :stonk:), so perhaps it would be wiser to ask you guys if it's worth a shot. If not, what kind of show do you think could scratch that mecha/robot itch?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo! Really? Are we talking about hilariously ignorant racism or, like, kkk-levels-of-unwarranted-vile racism? And misogyny? But... aren't the main cast part of some sort of Planeteers-esque multi-national team fighting against a world-ending threat of aliens or Lovecraftian abominations from cheese knows where?

Redcrimson posted:

Black Lagoon, Baccano and Gankutsuou.

I've watched those three shows at least twice (probably more with Baccano; that show loving owns and the dub is incredibly well done, as perhaps everyone has said by now) already. And I dig those three shows, I really do, but I think that no character in any of the 3 shows is anywhere nearly as creepy as Johan was (Well, maybe Claire, but he was also super badass and fun to watch, even while murdering the skin out of people). Hell, he was so creepy that even Mamiko Noto's lines while Johan was crossdressing as his sister are disturbing as all get-out. An unsettling serial killer with few redeeming traits would be kind of what I'm looking for.

quote:

I don't think I made it through two episodes of the Muv-Luv anime. If you're going to watch a mech anime with gratuitous fanservice, you should probably just watch Code Geass.

Also, did you miss the Escaflowne simulwatch? That is a great, somewhat non-traditional, mech show.

Code Geass was fun. Also, fanservice is not necessary; I was kind of commenting on the few spoiler-free images I could get from Muv-Luv. I've had the worst luck with securing Escaflowne (even with the resources provided by the Simulwatch thread). :(

e: Grammar.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 20, 2013

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

jonjonaug posted:

Muv Luv the visual novel is great. The Muv Luv anime is from a spinoff and is completely terrible.

So, skip on the Anime and wait for proper computer to check the VN. Gotcha. I'll probably just try to acquire Escaflowne once more. I really wanted to do the simulwatch, but alas, it was not to be. I still hope it rules.

Now, hopefully someone can help with the creepy serial killer anime/manga.

e: Computer is okay. I mainly just don't want to do too much in front of it since I'm undergoing rehabilitation post-knee surgery, so I'm mostly going to stare at the computer while using a stationary bike and just pushing/clicking the play button.

In regards to the fanservice (especially given how two Muv-Luv characters looked like hyper-sexualized pre-teens), I'm kinda weary of it right now after reading the latest 2 Index novels. I don't know how I've missed it earlier, but now I'm convinced that the character designer / illustrator is a creepy pedophile. I know it's a dumb-as-hell, Dragon Ball Z-esque series based on bullshit power levels that don't really matter in the end, but it was fun in that fast food kind of way, dubious hentai doujin-looking characters aside, but after introducing the stand-in for Odin as a 13 year-old girl in stripper wardrobe with a stereotypical witch hat and reading the supposed justification the illustrator guy gave about it I said "You know what? I'm done with this loving garbage series". While I don't mind characters providing titillation (even if it's not my bag), I would prefer to avoid the kind of thing that would make me feel like a pedo while watching/reading it.
vvvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 20, 2013

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nipponophile posted:

Have you seen Psycho-Pass? The main antagonist doesn't really show up until a few episodes in, but he fits exactly what you're looking for: creepy, sociopathic, scheming.

poo poo, I forgot about Psycho-Pass! Half a year goes by and I forget about a good series. :(

I want to revisit it, especially with the 2nd Season coming sooner than later. Thanks for all the recommendations, goons! (And for the votes against the M-L anime)

Actually: By any chance, does anybody know if Nodame Cantabile was ever released on DVD/BD or if it's legally streaming anywhere? I remember enjoying it a lot back when it came out and, since I'm going to watch Escaflowne and Psycho-Pass, I might as well turn it into the Tomokazu Seki's Power Hour. :getin:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know I've been asking for a lot of recommendations, but while faffing around, I discovered that Beelzebub (the manga) could be potentially funny as poo poo. It also kinda reminded me of Gintama, but I often find myself thinking that the anime is way better than the manga. Compared to its paper counterpart, how does the Beelzebub anime hold?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Toadsniff posted:

So I'm watching LOGH and about 16 episodes in and it's finally starting to hit me, the animation is bad, but the story is great. Tell me, does the animation get any better, seeing as this is a show that ran for 10 years?

Yes. It gets better. The animation never quite stops showing its age, but believe me, it gets MUCH better. Like,remember Iserlohn's fall? It gets to that point, but still a ways away.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thunderfinger posted:

I'm watching this show called xxxHolic, and it seems to be ok except for the fact that I'm a little put off by how FREAKISHLY TALL everyone is in the anime. Like, the main character looks like they took Jack Skellington and gave him skin. :stare:

At some point in the late 90's, the CLAMP ladies collectively stopped giving a poo poo about semi-sensible body proportions. At least that's my theory. Then again, Magic Knight Rayearth was basically my favorite anime for pretty much all of my puberty / early adolescence while growing up in Shitsville, so I'm willing to cut them some slack.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Delusibeta posted:

tbh if you're going to start a long running shounen, make it Gintama. First dozen or so episodes aren't great, but it gets into the groove in the following dozen. Episode 25 is hilarious.

Listen to this guy. He knows what's up. Dick jokes and idiocy as far as the eye can see. Also, it's where Sugita REALLY started to shine.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think that we're beyond euphemisms when it comes to the *Monogatari/*Story series. Both the Novels and Anime are a clusterfuck of ideas and characters that when they work, goddammit they knock it out of the park. As Nate mentioned, the dialogue/rapport between most of the characters is great, especially given how there's very few characters and that it doesn't have the "problem" that lots of Anime/Novels have of having gigantic-rear end casts trying to vie for your attention. The fact that you can actually feel that some of these characters are moving forward / developing as people is also pretty swell.

There are some things, however, that come off as creepy / retarded / just plain bad, but since almost all of those things are supposed to be played for titillation purposes, it makes most people cringe. With good reason. The novels also have this recurring problem of going off into weird tangents about the more meta aspects surrounding the series, and really: I don't give a gently caress about what Nisio thinks about the voice actresses portraying the characters.

The weirdness of the anime does(or at least I think it so) contribute to the idea that, regardless how good or bad the cast are, they're all a bunch of self-obsessed twats, which makes sense when you think about their physical/mental age.

So, to answer your question: If you're going for the anime, the strange art is part of the package. The continuity does becomes a good deal more clearer later on(even if some parts have not been animated yet) and there are going to be parts that WILL make you uncomfortable. Thread lightly, I guess.

Glad we were of assistance. :tipshat:
vvvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 11, 2013

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zerilan posted:

Looking for some well written drama, or a serious action/war series, something that resembles of Legend of Galactic Heroes, Monster, Now and Then Here and There, or Casshern Sins, but isn't driven by romance plots or Saikano levels of depressing.

You should check out Zetsuen no Tempest. I honestly felt that it was a really cool series that got swept under the rug because it was basically competing against Psycho-Pass and JoJo. Don't expect anything of the caliber of LoGH, though. Still, pretty cool and engaging once it gets going. On that note, although it doesn't get to the "Drama" part in a while, Steins;Gate is another excellent show.

Now, for a question: I recently finished watching Kokoro Connect; despite all the dumb controversy that apparently surrounded the show, I do think it was a great series with great character interactions and it didn't feel like a dumb Light Novel adaptation (haven't read the books; if they are as good as the Anime, I might give them a whirl). Is there another show that kinda feels similar to that? (If it has Miyuki Sawashiro being cool as poo poo, even better).

While the others are fine, isn't Texhnolyze a bit too on the grim side? Zerilan did mention trying to skip on Saikano levels of depressing.
vvvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 31, 2013

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, pretty serious question, but let me get a bit of story first.

I've recently went to pick a friend of mine up at the airport. While we chatted/skyped/whatever pretty often, I had not met this dude in person for over 2 years after he left to teach in Japan. And when I asked him what was up with him and what stuff he's gonna miss and whatnot, he reveals he got really into manga. He had told me before that some of his students recommended him stuff and such, but it really felt weird when I went to drop him at his parents' house (he and his wife live in the neighboring state which is like a 2-hour drive away from where I live) and it turns out that he had like 5 boxes full of completed manga he had been sending to his old folks in these past months prior to returning.

Now please understand: I grew up with this guy, he's my bro/childhood friend and you couldn't get two people in a room who had more opposite interests when it came to comics and tv. He was into Spawn, Spider-Man and Gen13 while I was into Dragon Ball, Thundercats and Captain Tsubasa SUPER CAMPEONES. We still were bros because when you go to the same school, live in the same neighborhood/residence zone and kick each other's asses on different video games while laughing like morons, poo poo like different tastes in literature and tv shows don't matter; we still read/watched what the other did, though. But I never got him into manga as strongly as he got me into Western Comics (I still have The Killing Joke hardcover book he gave me when I turned 13), so it's really odd to see this grown-rear end 28 year old guy talk about manga like a silly middle-schooler.

The next day, when we began organizing the books he got so we could get them to his actual place, I was checking which books he got, and when I saw this big collection of The Flame of Rekka, he got this big-rear end glint in his eyes. He calls it "The Flame of Motherfucking Recca!" and super-recommended it to me.

Since he has the whole thing (in pretty good state, too) completed and, knowing him, he's probably gonna pester me into reading it, I got to ask you guys 3 questions:
  1. Does it hold well? I saw like 30, if not more, volumes, so I hope it doesn't devolve into a droll snorefest like Bleach or similars did after a while.
  2. How "Shounen" it is?
  3. Despite the question about its level of shounen, does it have anything that would make a dorky adult who's way into Game of Thrones go "Flame of Motherfucking Recca!" :black101:

Hey, if the fights are anywhere near the level of YuYu Hakusho (or Hunter x Hunter), I'm game.
vvvvv

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 27, 2013

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
As long as it has its badass moments and the fights are a-ok, I won't mind the shounen... levels (shounenhood? shouneness? shounenicity? we should have a term for this).

Yeah, pretty much all of his previous experience with Anime was the stuff a couple of dorky mexican kids could get from TV back then, which is pretty much the standard shounen for the 90's(the 2 aforementioned series, Saint Seiya, Ranma, Magic Knight Rayearth :swoon:, Sailor Moon, Dragon Quest, VERY EARLY Slayers, Slam Dunk). Guess I'll bite the bullet.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Since my dickhead nephew decided to spoil Lain's ending and I'm trying to catch up with The Tatami Galaxy, I realized I have a bunch of downtime to read. Among the many MANY mangas my friend brought back from Japan, I've found one called The Five Star Stories. Besides the incredibly old school look the covers have, is there anything note-worthy about the series?

e: Fuckin' A! I love me some DUNE! :getin:

He also brought a lot of Novels. But I want to start slowly: Five Star Stories and probably Shiki (since I rather liked the anime). Additionally, what's the general goon consensus on the Boogiepop novels?

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 31, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Durarara!! dub felt REALLY tacked-on at a few spots, but it's pretty good on the whole. Darker than Black might also fill your quota in that, while nowhere near as great as Ghost in the Shell, it has a few themes and a pretty great dub. A former girlfriend used to say back when it first came out that it was the closest she's gotten to watching a decent X-Men cartoon without getting bored.

Also seconding Psycho-Pass. Although a little bit of the character dialogue / shout-outs feel unintentionally silly, overall it's a pretty good show.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Five Star Stories was something else, you guys. :allears: The only downside in my eyes is that, really, there's not more of it.

Leaving my new-found love/fanboyism for this Manga aside, I need recommendations on 2 things that I wish to watch:

- I recently got into re-playing some of the "Tales of..." games (Xillia and Vesperia; playing Abyss for the first time on the 3DS), and I was wondering if any of the Anime series / OVA's were worth a spin.
- A really funny anime. Laugh-like-an-idiot funny. Gintama, Nichibros, Cromartie, Zetsubo-sensei are some of the ones that spring to mind as making me laugh this hard. This season's D-Frag is good, but nowhere near Cromartie or Gintama levels of idiot-like laughter.

e: Wait a loving minute! There was a DMC anime? I remember the Live-Action movie being sort of funny, but still nowhere near as fun as the manga. Does the Anime fix this?

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 21, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I'm loving sold. Detroit Metal City and Tales of the Abyss it is!

Also, while we're discussing Devil May Cry, here's a little anecdote:

Last year, I went to work in Tokyo as a recording engineer, and I had the chance to meet and chat (we were mostly bullshitting back-and-forth regarding sports, though) with Toshiyuki Morikawa and while he agreed that the Devil May Cry anime bored him to tears, he said that he never regretted portraying Dante because, down the road, it gave him the chance to tease/annoy Nobuyuki Hiyama for many days on end when they recorded their lines for the Project x Zone videogame. And while I know it's just useless trivia that's probably gonna end up in :tvtropes: or some such website, I thought it was sort of rad that this serious looking forty-something man still holds dear a friend he made back in the early nineties.

e: Also considering Baka and Test.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, getting back into Full Metal Panic is rough. When Che Delilas mentioned Fumoffu, I remember having pretty good memories when I first saw it. The season that was animated by Gonzo, which I'm currently braving through, is such a clusterfuck of bad ideas, worse animation, piss-poor pacing and overall effort that it makes almost too much sense that the author basically took the series to another studio altogether. While one of the few redeeming factors (the voice actors, especially Tomokazu Seki and Satsuki Yukino for the main duo) does make up a bit for some of the show's shoddier aspects, it's not nearly enough to salvage the crapfest.

I'm halfway through this fugly mess. I want to get this over with ASAP so I can proper go into both Fumoffu and TSR and probably revisit the books.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

The Devil is a Part-Timer is one of the funniest shows in years and takes a fairly bland premise(the all-powerful demon king in a fantasy world suddenly finds himself as a McDonald's employee! The Great Hero works at a call center! etc) and manages to make it one of the most appealing, hilarious, endearing, and action-packed shows out there. It's really amazing how well it blends action, comedy, drama, and a bit of romance too. It's a definite must-watch. There's one filler episode that's not based on the novels(the zoo episode I think?) that some folks don't like, but I thought it was decent even for being filler.

poo poo, I had almost forgotten about The Devil is a Part Timer! I think it was the first series I followed as an official goon! That show was an incredibly fun ride in pretty much all aspects and, even better, it was a goddamn .gif goldmine of reaction faces. I really hope it made the novels sell better so we can get enough hype for a second season.

The English title does bug me a lot because it's misleading as hell, though! :mad:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paperhouse posted:

Hello goons, I'm sort of getting back into anime and am looking for things to watch. I don't know exactly what I'm after so I feel like it might be easier to just say what I like so here it is. I like mysterious and/or dark plot with twists. I like sci-fi and fantasy, but particularly real world or dystopian. I really like it when shows have a unique or unusual art style and/or when they are generally quite atypical compared to other anime (some of my favourites are Monster, Aku no Hana and Tatami Galaxy, all of which I think of as quite "different"). I like things to be ambitious in some way, be it cinematographically or musically or story wise. idk. If any of this sounds like a show you like then tell me, by no means am I looking for a perfect match.

Here are some other things I've really enjoyed which might not entirely fit that description but probably do to an extent:

Fantastic Children
Madoka Magica
Simoun
Serial Experiments Lain

From the New World sounds like it might be right up your alley. While the overall art-style is very simple for most of the main cast, you're in for a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, after watching Nisekoi for a while, I decided to drop it. A friend who disliked it way more (quoting her: "A Craptacular derivative mess") than I did recommended me a title called Bonnouji. Is she out of her mind? Or is this Bonnouji legit good?

• Locked thread