Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp, I'm officially requesting this thread's help. I've been on an extended anime binge these last few days (being hospitalized does that to people :v: ), and I'm looking for more. Maybe some resident anime expert knows some other shows/OVA/movies that fit into it... I'm mostly looking for rather short shows with great animation, preferably finished (for optimal binge-watching). I'm also a sucker for non-chronological or confusing narration, if it comes together in the end. A huge negative are static scenes, boring action and general expressionlessness.

Big fan of: Madoka Magica, Baccano, Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing OVA, almost everything by Satoshi Kon, Redline, Kara no Kyoukai (except movie 6, what the gently caress).
Not overwhelming, but still pretty good: Texhnolyze ( :qq: ), Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (mostly for animation + fun as hell two main characters, didn't really like the others), Kyousougiga, Evangelion (intense dislike for the early episodes, turned incredible in the end), Ghost in the Shell, Tengen Toppa Gurren Langan (very stylish + a bit generic at the start, only really loved it after the time skip), aaaaaaand Kill La Kill + Panty&Stocking (I like stupid + stylish energetic action).
Looked fine at first, then disappointed HARD: Cassheeeeeeeern Sins, Durarara, From the New World, Attack on Titan, Fate/Zero.

Any ideas? I'm not expecting any more lightning in a bottle like Madoka (half the shows listed above I only tried when searching for anything similar), but who knows what else is out there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Kokoro Wish posted:

No, you see, you're wrong and that show and dub are solid gold.

I came here for something entirely different, but now I'm watching a gag dub of an otherwise dull kiddie ghost show... :v:

Definitely gonna check out Pingpong. I don't know about K-On, since I'm honestly a little repelled by the whole moe trend, but I keep hearing it's actually a good show... Only one way to find out for real, I guess!

Srice posted:

I second Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (as well as other Shinbo stuff), it's a real good rec in this case since if someone loves Madoka and dislikes Fate/Zero, they might like other stuff from the director of the former.

This is true - I said something to that effect over in the Madoka thread as well. Fate/Zero does some really fun stuff with the story (aside from stupid magic plot devices out of nowhere), but it has a nasty habit of making everything look dull and static, especially the action scenes (HOW). If it's the director at fault here, going this route looks promising... Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is fun so far! Maybe a bit long without a definite end/conclusion (?) in sight, but let's see where this goes.

Thanks so far!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Holy poo poo K-On is such a ridiculously feelgood show

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

unpronounceable posted:

I like Hidamari Sketch more, but K-On is a (feel)good show.

It totally is. Those were some seriously relaxed ~13 episodes.
But I have to admit, I'm getting kind of tired of the formula - nothing really ever changes... Things just kinda happen to characters, they react, everything's the same the next day. I really don't mind episodes with the cast just doing whatever, but I'm missing the feeling of things going somewhere. Maybe I'm just a sucker for "rise to fame" stories - K-On is nice and cute and all, but not that. It's cool, but nothing I could watch forever.

Regarding the other suggestions (FEEDBACK, TO EARN MORE RECOMMENDATIONS :black101: ):

Yozakura Quartet looked nice, but utterly generic. First episode had some reaaaaally nice animation, tho... Not really interested.
FLCL is insane and I loved every single second. That baseball episode was just my kind of insanity, plus the giant gunslinger fight and and and :stare: drat, this one has to be added to my anime top tier list.
Gatchaman Crowds is... tough to watch. I was immediately annoyed by Hayime, but she's actually pretty cool, and the villain is very entertaining. Plus, they stomp out the monster-of-the-week formula immediately. I'm... just not too happy about the character designs. That loving panda is an abomination, the suit thingies look like garbage... And while it seems very interesting how the internet + connectivity takes center stage, it's reaaaaaaally heavy-handed and clunky. Would've preferred a much more natural introduction to that part of the setting. Who knows. Might watch this drunk. Just to see more of that insane Katze guy.
Ping Pong is incredible and probably one of the best-looking anime shows I've ever seen. I don't even like table tennis, but daaaaamn! Only three episodes in, but loving every second of it. "I am a machine!" gently caress yeah.
Steins;Gate is... Well, I'm not sure about this one. It seems really slow, right now? Some witty banter. I heard it gets really dark later on? I hope so, because by episode ~3 or so I was getting bored a little. I'm willing to continue this one, though.

As an unexpected bonus, I also stumbled across Nichijou. I feel like I'm missing out on a flashflood of horrible Japanese puns, but it's funny anyway :v: Let's see how long it stays entertaining; it looks pretty aimless too, but maybe I just won't mind.

That was my current opinion on anime, thank you for reading, I shall now continue watching Ping Pong and maybe Steins;Gate.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

PotU posted:

if im reading this right you havent watched the second season and that is hosed. watch the second season omg just loving.... watch the second season!!!

Okay

Gonna be so mad if they don't get to realize their dream of playing on a big-rear end stage, tho

So mad

littleorv posted:

Ignoring the incredibly incorrect opinion on the panda if you like Ping Pong you will also probably like The Tatami Galaxy since it was done by the same director. It's also incredibly good.

Yeah, heard that recommendation several times. Might give that one a whirl after I've finished Ping Pong!

And mascot characters suck

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Seconding that. Stardust Crusaders has an incredible amount of awesome and iconic scenes, but it's too episodic for my tastes, and I don't think the fight scenes have very good animation (with the occasional exception). Phantom Blood isn't very interesting, but it's got a great antagonist, and I think it's totally worth powering through just to continue right away with Battle Tendency (not to mention several ingenious uses of Roundabout). Battle Tendency is just plain fun, especially coming from Phantom Blood! It has really freaky opponents, and one of the most entertaining protagonists I've ever seen in anime.

TL;DR: watch Phantom Blood (it's short), continue with Battle Tendency!

P.S.: I'd also like to give to protocol that Ping Pong is goddamn incredible. It's gorgeous, stylish, and downright inspiring. And I don't even care for table tennis. Another instant top tier anime for me. Also, one of the best final "battles" I've ever seen (arguably, there's two, and both are great)!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I think the best course of action is to drop whatever you're doing and read all of JoJo, right now. Weirdly enough, I often had the impression that many action scenes don't really work, because everyone just talks so much! I really don't mind when it's in comic form, but it gets quite ridiculous in animation. JoJo seconds run on Freeza time. All the sheer insanity and ingenious back-and-forth from the manga doesn't translate that well to an action-packed anime, if you ask me.

Uuuuuh, and this is the anime thread, so... further impressions! I feel just like rambling on about the shows I've been recommended so far, maybe someone knows more to suggest. :v:

I watched the second season of K-On!! (two exclamation marks, to confuse the uninitiated into thinking there's only one). Nice, and some major feels towards the end, but they didn't get to the big stages :( I'd totally watch an anime about them trying to make it as an actual band, but I guess the focus is on highschool shenanigans. Oh well!
Steins;Gate is weird. I reached the point where I stopped during my last attempt ( "My time travelling has erased moe from Akihabara?!" good. ) and powered through. I like how there's paranoia seeping in everywhere, now that our main dude slowly realizes he's basically piling mistakes on top of each other. I'm constantly annoyed at half the female cast (biker girl is cool tho), but it's funnier than I remember. There's something inherently funny for me about adorably dumb bullshit artists who get called out on it constantly (see: super-great show Space Dandy).
Took a while, but I'm hooked.
Haibane Renmei is... slow? On episode 5. Given how short it is, I might as well just power through, but it feels kinda uncompelling to me. No-one seems to have a drive to do anything. I expect things to go wrong/more interesting, but it's been 5 episodes, so... not sure.

Let's see where this goes.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Davincie posted:

watch the k-on ovas and movie

I can't bring myself to disagree with this notion, because it's still an absurdly feelgood show and your avatar has those angry veins popping out, you don't mess with those guys

But how much more K-On can there be! How much more will you demand from me?

HOW MUCH MOE, I ASK

:v:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Haibane Renmei's slow because it's written like each episode is a chapter in a single book (At least that's how it feels to me). The next episode's the one where things start getting good though.

I'm all for shows that reward patience, I'm just not very hopeful! But if it's recommended all over the place, I'll keep at it.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Finished Steins;Gate and Haibane Renmei.

Haibane Renmei was nice. Not much of a mystery, in my opinion, but... pretty chill, I guess. A nice, relaxed story about suicide? Seems very likely to me and, uuuuh, chilling in a town. To be honest, I didn't feel like there was much of a point to anything. That's the most I can say about it, I guess.

Steins;Gate, then again...
It's bad.
Sorry.
The story is alright, I guess. Time jump shenanigans are cool, and seeing Okabe freak out over all those dead Majuris/Kurisus was interesting. One of the few serious scenes that stuck with me was Moeka going batshit insane over her phone while Okabe keeps the door shut. And to my honest surprise, that Ruka fellow actually had an okay story to go - felt bad for him in the end! And I guess Suzuha is entertaining for her dystopia habits and being surprisingly competent. Daru's funny, too. And really, the banter between Okabe and Kurisu felt like the absolute highlight of the show.
But I'm kind of disappointed they didn't go ALL out with the exploration of time travel. They just dismiss the possibility of time paradox, when that's EXACTLY what I want to know more about ("Oh yeah, guess that would be bad"), the whole divergence thing felt kind of contrived (what does and doesn't divergence govern? Only people dying? WHAT) and it was frustrating that they didn't experiment all that much in the beginning.
And then, many characters are just plain bad. I couldn't listen to that loving catgirl. I got annoyed with Moeka's schtick REALLY fast. Mayuri got painful to listen to. Etc., etc.

But the by far worst thing, for me: it looks boring. Static. Grey. I just plain didn't enjoy looking at it after a while. They didn't do anything interesting with smart phones, although they're so incredibly prevalent ("let's look at the box in my hand again and narrate what there is!"). Sound too - I can't loving stand cicadas anymore. This sure isn't an action show, and that's perfectly fine, but I think they botched framing the dialogue, and what little action it had was ridiculous. (Braun shooting Moeka & then himself was kind of hilarious, as was Suzuha's offscreen kungfu...)

Still, I watched 24 episodes of it, because I'm normally a sucker for timetravel shows that close all the loops and make things click, but... eh. This show didn't get nearly as dark as I thought it would, and it looked uninteresting. Okabe's a great main character, but he just couldn't carry the rest.

...anybody got some ridiculously energetic anime to recommend? :sigh:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Kemonozume

Yes

Sakurazuka posted:

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

YES

Nate RFB posted:

However I think most of your complaints are dumb and Steins;Gate is actually great!

No

That Works posted:

Redline, Gurren Lagann and Ping Pong also if you haven't seen them?
Black Lagoon as well.

Seen all of those, actually, I totally forgot to list Gurren Langan earlier!
Didn't like Black Lagoon though - a friend hyped it to hell and back, telling me how they kill a helicopter with a boat, and then I get to that scene...
And it's just a cackling villain flying in the same spot like an idiot in front of the only ramp-shaped rock in the entire swamp, refusing to follow the boat because he likes hunting or some poo poo, drawn out to what felt like eternity
How do you gently caress up a boat killing a helicopter?!
Didn't watch it since, honestly not sure I wanna.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Watched Kaiba and Kemonozume, because I'm a sucker for unusual animation styles.

Kaiba is really, really good. And somewhat horrifying. It's easy to overlook how incredibly bleak, terrifying and downright murderous this show is with its cutesy style. I kinda wish it were longer, because the early planet hopping episodes were really fascinating (not that the later plot-heavier episodes aren't good, mind you). Also, that has to be one of the best intros I've ever seen!
Conclusion: gently caress you, Popo.

Kemonozume is... well...
I'm not sure. It certainly isn't very good-looking, but it kinda works for it? And I gotta say, this is one of the most nauseating and macabre shows I've seen. At times, it's simultaneously repulsive, hilarious and plain weird. Also, quite a memorable villain. Hats off to the creators - Ooba is one disgusting, sadistic son of a bitch. That really is one guy who enjoys torturing people in all kinds of ways, for pretty much no reason at all. I really liked how deranged he was - it really felt like he had no real plan whatsoever, he just did whatever the hell he wanted, and violently so; and it worked.
If I had to sum this show up, it'd be "fascinatingly unpleasant". Weird.
...I'm not gonna watch this again.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

"Fascinatingly unpleasant" is an apt description for Kemonozume, though for my money it starts out more fascinating and ends up more unpleasant.

Given the reveal of the main villain in the late episodes... yeah.

Yeah. :stare:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp, watched some more. Here's recommendations for others, plus some warnings.

First, my personal favorite of this last batch: Michiko & Hatchin. Oh boy, it's like somebody looked at Cowboy Bebop, went "you know, this is nice, but it needs more sexy ladies" and went from there. Not quite as good, but I liked the setting much more, and there was something innately entertaining about the titular main characters. I could watch these two travel nowhere in particular forever. Personal highlight: Hatchin finally snaps, grabs a metal pipe and goes to beat up the fraud doctor - only to discover Michiko is already doing that, for an entirely different, much stupider reason :haw: While I'd have liked a bit more action towards the end, and I'm sad about a couple loose ends (I want to see Highway Assassins 2: The Revenge!), this has to be one of the most satisfying shows I've watched. I'm especially glad about some of the later revelations about the characters: that Hiroshi is scum and was never worth it, and that Satoshi was ultimately desperate and loneley too.
Also, seriously, this is so Bebop it's incredible. Badass old folk that walks all over the young hotshots, mysticism and people who base VERY important decisions on it, gun battles where bullets might as well be bubblewrap, an anime with actual darker-skinned people running around, poverty everywhere, seriously incredible music (thank you, Watanabe :allears: ), and some serious smoothtalking. Only with a what feels like a much crueler setting, and lots of badass ladies, which is always a plus!
Too bad I really didn't like the four or five episodes of Samurai Champloo, I'd like more of this.

Then, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, after seeing it mentioned in this thread several times. Yeeeeaaaaah... I made it three episodes in. First one felt like the best one. There's some good gags in there, but I guess I liked it more when it was subdued in the beginning. Once it went overly zany, I just didn't find it funny anymore. It's not even the juvenile jokes (Panty & Stocking is among humanity's greatest achievements, why yes), it's just... random? Incoherent? Strangely lecherous? Enjoyed this one less and less.

Also watched Mind Game, after my recent binge of unusually animated shows (Kaiba, Ping Pong, Kemonozume...). That was some great stuff. Utter insanity, especially the final scene, which just keeps going and escalating and at some point you notice you weren't breathing for what must've been several minutes and holy poo poo. There's something irresistible about this sheer primal urge for freedom that just does it for me. I guess it's catharsis - there's not many scenes that I feel are on par with Mind Game in this regard: several from Satoshi Kon, most notably for me personally the scene of the older cop smashing the illusions, Madoka (come ooooon), Ping Pong (you finally have that match, you two :cry: ), and I suppose Kyoutsugiga and Tengen Toppa Gurren Langan come close. More of this, please.

I then turned insane and watched all of Speed Grapher. Uuuuuh... Cool-looking powers. I really liked the idea of powers based around fetishes, but it felt too drawn-out for me, and the creepy subtext of the two main character's relationship made me very uncomfortable. I... I kinda want my time back, but I feel like I deserve this for actually continuing. (Okay, okay, I jumped ahead several times, give me a break)

It's that time again. I'm gonna catch me some new animes. Give me recommendations, please :toot:
As mentioned above, this time, I'm especially looking for something with really rewarding, all-out endings, all catharsis and stuff. Or super-chill action along the lines of Bebop/Michiko-Hatchin.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

The director of Michiko & Hatchin is Sayo Yamamoto and her other show is the amazing Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. You don't have to know much about Lupin to get it (the first episode is the classic Lupin style that it then twists over and over) and it absolutely blew me away. It works both as an adventure series and a sharp commentary on roles for women in fiction.

This is almost too obvious a pick but if you didn't see last year's Space Dandy get on that.

And yea, The Tatami Galaxy is deeply rewarding but whenever I recommend it I have to point out: the dialog and story moves very very very fast. A lot of people get way lost in the first episode, and it might take multiple watches to catch everything. You have to accept that you won't catch everything the first time, and do know that the first episode is way faster than the rest of the series. But yea, it's a fantastic show.

I already saw Space Dandy and Tatami Galaxy! Both great, really - Space Dandy is definitely among my Top 5 anime. Tatami Galaxy was nice too; I really enjoyed the rapid fire dialog and how it was full of little details all coming together. I was just kind of annoyed at the protagonist - that guy's gotta be the whiniest, most spineless, pettiest, most pathetic protagonist I've ever seen. I'm glad the story is about how he stops being that, but drat if I didn't want to slap that dude through the screen for five episodes or so. Glad I kept watching - those last scenes are really rewarding, especially when he pulls the "That's how I show my love for you!" line on his frenemy, including the devil eyes! :haw:

No idea about Lupin - I know basically nothing about the franchise! But that series seems to have the ideal length + anyone who pulls of Michiko & Hatchin is worth a try. Looking forward to this one.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

So, I checked out Lupin III: Fujiko Mine. And I gotta say, the first episode really didn't appeal to me, at all...
Keep in mind that I know literally nothing about the Lupin III franchise beyond this first episode, so whatever connections there are to the rest were pretty much lost on me. I recognized the detective (probably because, through sheer cultural osmosis, I knew that's the guy who keeps trying to catch Lupin), but that's about it. Went in blind. So, here's my uneducated opinion!
It felt pretty ridiculous, but not in a good way... As if the show attempts to be profound and artsy, but goofy and whacky at the same time, with impossible escape sequences and whatnot. Which is all good and stuff, but I felt like it clashed too much. Didn't like the action very much - gun fire might as well vanish into the void, characters pretty much pulled off whatever they needed to for little to no reason, plans failed and succeeded apparently arbritrarily ("You're now surrounded by my guards! Also, you're incapable of shooting and/or threatening me. Oh, no, she escaped from being directly shot at!"). I kept noticing how people dodged shots always AFTER they were fired - normally, that really doesn't bother me, but somehow it did here. And finally, I really didn't care for any of the characters. Lupin felt too cartoon-y for the rest of the cast, and he seemed like a smarmy dick... Maybe that's intentional, given how Fujiko's the main character here, but that dude just pissed me off. There simply wasn't any appeal for me - smarmy-rear end dialogue, weird action, arbritrary plot, incompetence everywhere (with most of the competence unexplained & offscreen). Looked very nice in parts, though - I especially liked the head priest's fancy hand motions.

Oh, and I guess there were tits. Weird. This definitely felt like a kid's show, through and through, where someone tried to staple mature topics on top. Yeah, remove the rampant nudity & occasional remorseless killing, and it could've been a kid's show with a kid's plot.

I guess it gets better? I can't really muster up the motivation to keep going.

So I watched Re: Cutie Honey instead, on someone's suggestion from waaaaaay back in this thread :v:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Lupin III only adheres to one rule, the rule of cool.

Fair enough! I gathered something like that while watching it, but meh. Between my annoyance at the characters and the - to me - lame action scenes, I just felt like this episode didn't earn being cool. But then again, I say this with a Lupin sample the size of 1, so...

The Devil Tesla posted:

Lupin has a lot of artifice but to call it a kids show is way off the mark. It's not being lazy or exploiting that you're not paying attention, it's using stuff that clearly wouldn't happen in order to dig into something more important. The Lupin and Fujiko dialog alone is absurdly rich and is a great preview of everything that the show goes on to cover.

Ok I guess, kid's show is probably too harsh. Still, seemed to me the episode was at once too serious and too whacky, never really pulling the mix off.

I don't want to sound dismissive here; it's clearly a beloved show, and the franchise itself has to have SOME appeal (LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT FUCKIN FRANCHISE), but, well... I'd rather watch something else.

...he said, switching on Higurashi, which is the worst-looking show I've ever actually enjoyed
You can't question my taste, I don't have any

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

You can't solve all your problems with K-On, Namtab!
*slaps Gibson Les Paul guitar out of Namtab's hands*
*starts K-On playlist, sobbing uncontrollably*

Sakurazuka posted:

This is what the original VN art looked like.

:v:

I... guess they're staying somewhat true to style, then?

Seriously, though. This show is ugly as poo poo. Animation errors everywhere. People look like wide-eyed goblins. It looks like a parody of bad anime, only it's real.
BUT I CAN'T STOP WATCHING IT
I'm at episode 18 of the first season, and drat, this show is really good at piling mysteries and revelations on top of each other. I have no clue what is going on (my guess so far is alternate timelines or a timeloop, and Rika is the only one aware of it? No coincidence it's her "mysterious" voice at the end of the credits, that's for sure.), but it feels consistent enough that I'm confident they aren't just throwing meaningless mysteries at the wall and see what sticks. And I'm seriously impressed with the characters - they may look like hideous goblins, but they're surprisingly consistent across story arcs, occasionally showing different sides to them (I love how it turns out the old cop is a huge rear end in a top hat, unless he needs you for something). And, well, voice actors are sometimes hamming it up too much, but there's so many hosed up scenes and freakouts - sometimes, it seems like the budget-saving cutaways and absence of gore even enhances things... (Not that a budget + competent director couldn't have done even better, I mean seriously)
This show is also filled with complete idiots, but I'm not too bothered by that. At least the main offender is consistently stupid :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Stop making everything you encounter into K-On shaped problems, Namtab

Bad Seafood posted:

What should I watch if I hated LOGH?

...watch K-On

• Locked thread