Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I've recently really gotten into watching a lot of anime, and there are a couple of (somewhat overlapping) themes that I really like:
1. Character development with a backdrop of violence. Black Lagoon was absolutely beautiful.
2. Justice, law and law enforcement, police, criminal conspiracies, the line between justice and revenge, etc. My favorite characters in Death Note were the police investigators.
3. Human struggle against overwhelming adversity. I enjoyed NGE, Attack on Titan, and Gurren Lagann.

I'd appreciate any recommendations along these lines. I'm already watching Cowboy Bebop, and plan to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes, so there's no need to recommend those. The only caveat I have is that I'm a bit squeamish when it comes to certain "horror" elements, so I don't want to watch anything with zombies or ghosts or such things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Psycho-pass sounds really cool, I'll try it out. Thanks, thread!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

After years of searching, it turns out there's more than one good anime to recommend.

It ain't over until we get a new thread or someone edits the OP. :colbert:

Who am I kidding nobody reads OPs, rip LOGH

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Srice posted:

You're making jokes like these but I legit have seen a post along the lines that if you liked Kyousougiga you would like LOGH!

If you like posts like that you will love LOGH

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Srice posted:

There's a certain type of sci-fi fan that would absolutely eat LoGH up so I get why it's recommended a lot, but at the same time it is silly how often it would be recommended when it's clearly not what a person wanted.

Reminds me of how a few years back Game of Thrones would be recommended to everyone regardless of what they wanted.

It would also work on a certain kind of history buff, even if they weren't necessarily that big on sci-fi, they just have to tolerate the sci-fi long enough for the "history" to work its magic.

e:

littleorv posted:

More people go ask for recs in the rec thread so I can work my gimmick before it closes.

What should I watch if I absolutely adored LOGH?

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 13, 2015

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

littleorv posted:

You should def. watch LoGH the greatest anim of our generation all time.

ftfy

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

littleorv posted:

You hosed up. I saw that.

:ssh:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

Terrorists have kidnapped the president's daughter and will execute her unless I can recommend him a good anime to watch that isn't LOGH.

This was actually the plot of a West Wing episode.

Zoey died.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Guys don't negotiate with the terrorists. It's one loving day after 9/11, show some respect!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

littleorv posted:

9/11 was actually 14 years and 1 day ago

But also yesterday, at least in my time zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

:patriot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRI5eWWZIpo

• Locked thread