Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Metal Loaf posted:

Okay, I've a question.

I really like the three original Slayers series (Slayers Try maybe less so, I have to admit, but I appreciate it for what it is) but I have heard that Revolution and Evolution-R aren't quite up to scratch. Are they worth watching or would I be better not to bother?

I thought they were ok, and a better substitute for season 1. They do have a pretty annoying "mascot" character, though the hd visuals help. Keep in mind I liked Next and Try much better than the first season, so you know where I'm coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Jack B Nimble posted:

Just popping in to say Welcome to the NHK was good. I'm not sure how I'd phrase it, but I enjoyed that it was slice of life rendered with some realism, and it explored some psychological concepts.

I watched the dub and it was serviceable but I felt like it was holding the show back from being something truly great, but I get that feeling any time I watch a dub that doesn't have "great" writing. I mean it's just easy to blame the translation when for all I know the writing was like that begin with.

If you're not opposed to checking out the manga version, do so. The anime version is decent, but it's a bit... restrained compared to the manga.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Nyan Koi isn't outright bad, but it is pretty mediocre.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

a kitten posted:

I know I watched it, but I can't remember a single drat thing about it. I keep mixing it up with Mayoi Neko Overrun. Which at least gave us this.

e: whoa that has a lot more fanservice than I remembered, so it's kind of :nws:. Still funny.

Haha, I didn't even have to click the link to know it would be that scene. That's really all anyone needs to watch from that series.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Even though the sub is really good, I still enjoy the dub for Slayers. Ranma also has a good dub.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

While not my personal favorite, Acchi Kocchi should fit the bill.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Paracelsus posted:

I thought they showed up at the end of season 1.

Yeah, they're in both seasons.

The main guy is only creepy when his strange preference (small things in general (ex. puppies/kittens)) is applied to Poplar, and that focus gradually lessens as the series progresses. And you can't skip over season 1 without missing the introduction of the best character YAMADA.

The second season is definitely funnier overall, but I think skipping right to it would lessen the humor.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Blhue posted:

Some people are just bored to tears by slice of life. I loved that show start to finish, but I can see why some people would find it dull. Its definitely a 3 episode test show though, since the third episode is when it starts to get good.

It doesn't necessarily mean the genre's the deal-breaker. I usually enjoy slice-of-life shows, but did not like Hanasaku Iroha and dropped it after it failed my three-episode test, because I did not like the characters. And in that genre, not liking the characters is usually a deal-breaker.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The thing with Azumanga's humor isn't really the out-datedness (though of course it is somewhat), but it's more of a different tone and pace. I generally found Azumanga amusing/funny, and the hysterical parts were less frequent, while Nichijo/bros (especially bros) had more hysterical parts, and less frequently segments which were borderline amusing or trying too hard. I think the transition is easier going from Azumanga-style humor to Nichijo/bros, than vice-versa.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Paracelsus posted:

I saw it a long time ago, and my recollection is that it was fine, if nothing especially fantastic.

Agreed. Though I think the last arc is actually pretty good.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Requiem from the Darkness, also a pretty cool art style and decent horror.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

RebBrownies posted:

Are Kino's Journey , Gunslinger Girl, and Vampire Hunter D worth the watch?

Haven't seen, yes (definitely to season 1, season 2 depends on if you can look past the simplified art style), haven't seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, possibly Mai-HiME as well. I'll second Millennium Actress.

• Locked thread