Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dreadful_Dinosaur posted:

e: I'm also looking for a show that is heart-wrenching and depressing. Something that's NOT Clannad, Air, or any of those other terrible shows staffed by Key. The show I'm looking for is more along the lines of Shadow Star or Now and Then, Here and there, which are two of my favourite manga and anime, respectively.

Watch Saikano if you haven't, it's pretty much the most depressing thing in existence.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see there was a whole other page.

Space Runaway Ideon is pretty depressing, but that's a 39 episodes + two movies mecha show with early 80's animation, so it's not exactly a casual watch.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, this might be a long shot, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good romantic (dark, slice of life- poo poo, I'll go for ecchi in a pinch) anime that has really sappy, happy endings? I'm talking shouted declarations of love, happy smiles all around, tears of joy, deep kisses only broken when they come up for breath, hugging, soaring music, cherry blossom petals every-loving-where, "And they lived happily ever after", the WORKS. Again, genre or even level of fanservice doesn't matter, and hell, neither does the orientation of the characters. Just an awesome love story with a gloriously happy ending.

Bonus points if it has metal as a soundtrack, but that's less 'recommend me an anime' and more 'if I won all the lotteries, this is the anime I'd make'.

The Revolutionary Girl Utena movie (not the TV series, there's no kissing there, though it's still awesome). No metal sadly, but the soundtrack is amazing anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ViggyNash posted:

So, uuh, I.. I just finished all of Eva. Series, EoE, 1.0 - 3.0. Hideaki Anno is a batshit insane genius that probably pisses in a toilet made of paper-mache yen bills. Or maybe he just spent all of that, including all of his life assets, on 3.0.

In all honesty, there's no true way to explain what Evangelion as a whole is. It's just... something else. I had planned to maybe start FMA:B after this, but it kind of feels like I'd be taking a step backwards if I did that now.

If you can take early 80's animation, watch all of Space Runaway Ideon, especially the two movies. While Anno was influenced by so many things when making Evangelion if anything could be pointed at as the 'main' influence it's that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The characters in Ideon are more unsympathetic than unlikable (though I admit that's splitting hairs), they're mostly flawed characters trying to make the best of a lovely situation caused by a misunderstanding and making bad decisions because of it. Throw in the usual depressed Tomino nihilism (even when they try and make peace it's hosed up because of something outside their control) and you get a show that's never really going to appeal to everyone.

Ideon's real biggest flaw is that it's 39 episodes of set up for the :fuckoff: :suicide: second movie.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 6, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

To expand on that, GOD NO.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ViggyNash posted:

If I want to get into Gundam, where should I start?

Watch the three original Mobile Suit Gudam series compilation movies, followed by the Turn A Gundam TV series (not the compilation movies). Possibly the other way round since Turn A is arguably the pinnacle of Gundam shows and you don't really need to know anything about the others to watch it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you can take Rumiko Takahashi's stuff you could try the Urusei Yatsura TV series, a lot of the same people who worked on the Patlabor anime previously worked on that. It's about a billion episodes long though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Escaflowne still has my favourite OP, though I am an unrepentant Yoko Kanno fanboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KoL7__Bmyg

Amazing song and sets the tone for the whole series (genki girl, pretty boys, feathers and mecha dragons).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Chas McGill posted:

Confession: I couldn't name a single voice actor/singer apart from Kanno and Watamoto. I recognise voices between series, but I never find out their names.

I recognise a few people but I can never remember anyone's names. The most obvious ones for me (because they're in loving everything) are known as 'that guy who played Zorro' and 'that guy who played Jet Black'.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Iserlohn posted:

Is there anything like Shin Mazinger Z or Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still? It's kind of hard for me to put into words why I like them, but in general I would say that they have the substance to match the style. It feels like Imagawa's directing style incorporates elements of cinematography, and he demonstrates it by frequently using cuts and animating scenes as if they were shown in different angles and perspectives, giving a sensation of size and scale. There's also something really theatrical about the monologues and interactions between the characters. It feels really dramatic, and characters are on the same wavelength, communicating to each other from different scenes; they really get into it. Occasionally characters sort of steal the camera for themselves and vent their burden to the audience. I love scenes like Baron Ashura's breakdowns, especially the one where Ashura struggles to hold it's face together as it tries to determine it's purpose and identity. Sometimes themes and motivations are laid bare, but there really is an impressive balance of showing and telling that I have not seen in other shows or movies. I'm a sucker for the themes in these shows too. They deal with legacy and realizing the dreams of their parents. They are also about the responsibility of power and finding new strength in this realization. Mazinger Z was every bit a devil as it was a god, and Giant Robo was restrained by childish notions of invincibility and the possibility of a nuclear disaster. The action is also really excellent and isn't exclusive to the giant robots. The Magnificient Ten, the Experts of Justice, and the Kurogane Five all had spectacular powers and were always a blast to watch whenever they were on screen. The action also doesn't feel... meaningless. Imagawa really builds up to the action, carefully orchestrating scenes until it is inevitable. He releases the floodgates along with a constant stream of action. It feels like the longest climax to the story, and it's so good.

So, I'm reluctant to try out any old Super Robot show since I feel I've been spoiled here, but I'm open to suggestions. Also, are there other shows or directors that take noticeable cues from cinematography or work with similar themes to Imagawa even if they are in a different genre? And I've been eyeing Tetsujin-28. The most recent remake. What are some opinions on that?

You could try Getter Robo Armageddon, but it kind of goes down hill after the Imagawa directed episodes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anatharon posted:

Unrelated to my previous inquiry, I'm a fan of Danganronpa and finally got around to reading Battle Royale, which was fairly good. Basically "The most dangerous game" scenario trikes me as disinteresting unless done well, but it seems like something there'd be an at least decent manga about. Anyone know of one?

Not anime but if you haven't watched the movie version of Battle Royale, do so. It's one of the best films ever made. Err, stay away from the sequel though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a lot better if Togusa is your favourite character.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Invictus posted:

Fuckin' Bonnouji. It's manga but you'll be hard-pressed to find a more solid love story that actually continues after the relationship begins!(!!!!!)

Someone posted Sasameki Koto in the Convince With One Panel thread and I read the whole thing even though I got a bit bored around halfway through. It follows a high school girl who is openly gay, and her friend who initially wasn't, but wound up falling in love with her. It does a lot of things right, the romance is cute, the humor is good, the problem is it's probably a full third too long and it pulls the annoying bit where the mains are about to confess but are interrupted by [character] like 3 or 4 times, and there are multiple arcs and a few characters that are essentially irrelevant and could be cut out entirely.

Is there something like that that is about the same core story quality, deals with the same issues, but isn't jam-packed with filler/pointless tangents?

Aoi no Hana is probably your best bet, although it lacks one of the main things that Sasameko Koto does well in that's it exists in 'everyone's a lesbian' paradise that 99% of yuri shows exist in,rather than the real world.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

KittyEmpress posted:

Is there anything similar to Parasyte, but animated? It's the only manga I've ever read through twice, and I really enjoyed it, despite its flaws

The first thing that comes to mind with a mix of body horror and shounen stuff is The Guyver, unfortunately none of the animated versions of it are that great, though the 12 part 90's OVA is amusing enough in that super gory 90's OVA way, but the animation gets really terrible during the later episodes. The manga is pretty good though, even if it is reaching Berserk levels of still not being finished after 20 years (last time I heard, anyway).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Precambrian posted:

Hello, ADTRW!

I don't have that much experience with anime. I remember Dragon Ball Z when I was a kid, and, thanks to an anime-loving roommate, I saw Gankutsuo. I'm somewhat familiar with contemporary anime like Redline, Puella Magica, and Panty and Stocking, but I haven't actually seen any of them. Basically, I'm coming to you guys blind.

So I recently saw Pacific Rim and really enjoyed it. But what I particularly liked about it was how the movie was very much Giant Robot High, with hallway fights, awkward cafeteria moments, crushes, etc. More importantly, this High School aesthetic helped give the film an optimistic sci-fi outlook. So that's what I'm looking for: Giant Robot High anime, doesn't have to be upbeat, but I would prefer something optimistic and aspirational. I assumed that Giant Robot High was one of those archetypal animes, but looking through your wiki, that doesn't seem to be the case. I've been told that there are Gundams that get close to that criteria, but I'm not sure how many Gundams there are. I've also been told that Evangelion isn't quite what I'm looking for, but I should check it out. Thoughts?

It's not what you said you were looking for but you should watch The Big O because it's Batman the Animated Series only with giant robots.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RebBrownies posted:

So I have spent the morning watching Eva, and I know that there is a lot of controversy surrounding the end of the series. I am under the impression that the series director didn't really want to spell out the ending/ wanted to leave it ambiguous? I know that some people feel the movie was made to supplement the ending, while others feel it is a new ending.

My question is, are all the controversies and questions regarding the ending of the series and movie due to the director's intentional ambiguity/wanting to leave it up to interpretation, or is it due to plot holes and poor story telling?

e: Is the claimed intentional ambiguity of the final arc of the series a cover-up for an ending that wasn't thought through?

There are equal numbers of people who will tell you that the ending is how it is because GAINAX ran out of money and time and couldn't finish it properly until EoE as there those who will say that the ending is exactly how Anno wanted it and EoE is a reaction to critics of the ending.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Redcrimson posted:

Have you tried the actual X-Men anime?

Don't do this to the poor guy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kayten posted:

Hey, guys, so I finally saw Redline and it blew my loving mind. Can anyone recommend something that looks as good, and is pretty actiony? Plot is a non-issue. I saw Madoka already, as well as Fate/Zero already.

Try Sword of the Stranger, it probably has the best animated fight scenes in anything, ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DamnGlitch posted:

It's worth noting if you don't give a poo poo about e7, ao is pretty okay.

No, it's pretty terrible on every level. It's a disjointed mess of a story with nothing to recommend it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Whooping Toff posted:

Can anyone recommend a series or manga that has an LGBT relashionship that is displayed in a positive light and is not pandering fetish poo poo?

I've watched Wandering Son and am watching From the New World, both of which I felt were ok at this.

Have you seen Utena? It might be a little more subtext-y than you're after but it's the only thing that really comes to mind that isn't a 'yuri show for yuri fans'. Apart from the third season of Sailor Moon, I guess.

You could tentatively try Sasameki Koto or Aoi Hana though. Both have anime series but the manga is better and complete.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You missed an entire thread about it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557235

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sylphid posted:

Hm, that's too bad to hear about there not being many shows like Maria-sama. It hit all the right notes to me as an anime that explored yuri tropes with such class and respect, but I'll give those other shows a look. Thanks.

Of course, there is always manga.

If you liked Maria-sama you could try Brother, Dear Brother. The anime version is from the early 90's but it's based on a 70's manga that basically started all the 'one-sama' tropes that Marimite uses.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sylphid posted:

Looking it up on Wiki, definitely seems like a much darker Marimite, but this does intrigue me. You mean tropes like the underclassman-upperclassman attraction and just the general direction the relationship goes in over the course of the series?

Mainly just the social hierarchy and some of the character archetypes, there are lots of similarities between the main characters of both series for instance. The course the relationships take are much different though. Something like Strawberry Panic is the same, only with the yuri and melodrama turned up to 11. At least compared to Marimite, it's virtually impossible to out melodrama Brother, Dear Brother (or any of Riyoko Ikeda's other manga really).

Sylphid posted:

To be honest, though, I've often had trouble differentiating Class-S and yuri in a prototypical high school setting like Marimite and Brother, Dear Brother. Hopefully this isn't too much of a derail, but is there any functional difference between those two genres if the series is just about the high school lives of these characters?

A lot of it is semantics and how you interpret things to be honest. To me Marimite isn't really a yuri show (and Brother, Dear Brother certainly isn't) because it's much more about very intense female friendships than romantic ones. It's been a long time since I watched it, but from what I remember there's only like one relationship that's presented as an actual romance. Whereas the aforementioned Strawberry Panic (which is really bad by the way, but enjoyable if you like that sort of thing :v: ) basically just goes 'yeah, they're all lesbians'.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terry van Feleday posted:

Well, recently I've been looking for something like Bodacious Space Pirates or the early parts of Gatchaman Crowds (which, by the way, is a thing you should watch) - a show that's colourful, dynamic and relentlessly brimming with positive energy. One of those "feel good" kind of shows that doesn't feel too low-key or slice-of-life-esque (though I'd be willing to try something like that, too). Bonus points for female protagonist. Are there some shows like that you'd recommend?

No female protagonist, but if you missed Tsuritama when it aired last year it's pretty much exactly what you're looking for. It also has the same director and some other staff as Gatchaman Crowds.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Been years since I watched it, but I remember it being a fairly fun fantasy adventure, though for most people the (spoiler is very non-specific but just in case) huge twist near the end either makes or breaks it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not sure about dry wit exactly, but if you haven't seen Spice & Wolf the verbal sparring between the main characters is the highlight of that show.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No one suggested School Days yet? :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The trouble with Higurashi is that it's only really dark and disturbing for the first season, once you actually start getting answers about what going on it turns into more of a mystery thriller thing instead of horror.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Zetman is like the Tim Burton's Batman version of Megaman.

Note, do not, under any circumstances, watch the butchered anime version of this that tries to condense 16 volumes of manga into 13 episodes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wark Say posted:

At some point in the late 90's, the CLAMP ladies collectively stopped giving a poo poo about semi-sensible body proportions. At least that's my theory. Then again, Magic Knight Rayearth was basically my favorite anime for pretty much all of my puberty / early adolescence while growing up in Shitsville, so I'm willing to cut them some slack.

Same here but with the X manga.

But yeah, at some point they just stopped giving a gently caress.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I tried to watch GaoGaiGar once and was almost physically ill at how blatant a toy advertisement it was.

I'm exaggerating a little but seriously nothing in the first episode gave me the slightest reason to continue watching.

If you don't like generic super robot shows then yeah, the first ~20 episodes are going to be hard going. Eventually it does have a story and almost reaches the insanity levels of Gunbuster and TTGL, but first and foremost it's a kids super robot show designed to sell toys, just turned up to 11.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, so was Transformers and they were still able to tell good stories in the show and the comic.

99% of mecha shows exist to sell plastic poo poo to children/men-children it's what they do within that framework that makes a difference.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sinking Ship posted:

So what do goons think of Bakemonogatari and all it's ...sequels? spin-offs? I don't really understand the continuity at all but that's par for the course for anime in my experience. It seems pretty popular and lots of people have things to say about it so I've been making an effort to watch it. But the art style is weird as gently caress, not like, Madoka levels of disjointed craziness but pretty drat strange. For me at least it's pretty disconcerting, does it ever get more "normal"? Is it worth watching in spite of the weirdness? Does the weirdness contribute to the story in some meaningful way I can't yet understand? I just dunno, I watched the first few episodes and since it has so much hype I sort of want to soldier on but I just don't like the style much.

Basically I'm trying to ask if people think it's good / enjoyable enough to put up with the slightly strange art or alternately if I'm just wasting my time.

Wasting your time, the surreal art and dialogue are the only reasons to watch it and if you don't like that then there's not much point. It's also creepy as gently caress in a bad way a fair amount of the time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thunderfinger posted:

I got into this show called Revolutionary Girl Utena a while back, and I thought it was ok for a while, then I thought it started to drag on a bit. Are there any other shows like it that you guys like?

Sadly not many. Try Pengiundrum by the same director. Also if you didn't see the movie version of Utena, it's well worth a watch, even if you've seen the series.

Also, I haven't seen it personally, but lots of people recommend Princess Tutu for fans of Utena.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

Interpersonal drama and heartache rather than existential despair at the world.

Watch Saikano, then you get both.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Strawberry Panic is like Maria-sama only written by someone with all the subtlety of a daytime soap opera. It's not good by any means but I still enjoyed it because I like that sort of thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's also:

Kashimashi, which is pretty decent but pure fluff.

Blue Drop, which I remember almost nothing about, except aliens and it being rubbish.

And also Revolutionary Girl Utena, if you're in it for yuri stuff, you're better off with the movie version, the TV version is more implied than explicit. They're both amazing though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is Guilty Crown not good? It just came out in BluRay here and I like mecha shows.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The worst thing about the Fist of the North Star anime is that it follows the manga for about three episodes then gives us something like 15 or 20 episodes of filler before it gets back on track. Some of it is admittedly hilarious filler though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just started watching Devilman Lady as the Lain simulwatch reminded me that it was one of the few Chiaki Konaka shows I haven't seen, and it struck me that I couldn't actually think of any other kaiju-style giant monster fighting monster anime shows, there are almost always robots involved, are there any others? Bonus if they're actually worth watching.

• Locked thread