Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It’s the new recommendation thread.

(here is the old one)

First, give the ADTRWiki a look. That’s what it’s there for. It has helpful things like: quick picks for people new to anime and also our community voted Top Anime of the Year. Plus a bunch of other stuff. Take a peek.

Then:

• Make a somewhat specific request; don't just ask for a 'good show'. Try asking for something actiony, or a tearjerker, or fantasy or something that's good for introducing new people to anime Cowboy Bebop.

• Include a list of titles you've already read/watched and liked and also maybe did not like.

Our helpful, totally cool-dude anime experts will stop what they are doing to recommend Legend of Galactic Heroes and maybe some other shows.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

OxeHunden posted:

So, I've been sick forever with a cold that's just not letting go and have more or less run out of things to watch. Would love to hear some suggestions on what's new out there as I seem to re-watch older shows instead of looking for new ones. From the info below you'll see I touch many genres so a good plot with interesting characters is more important than specific genres for me.

If you are liking Jormungand please watch Black Lagoon. For the most part it is much much better at what Jor does, and it's one of those happy shows that has a great dub if you are into that (it is vastly vastly more graphic also).

(I loved Jor, it's worth noting).

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As to manga, Blame! and it's spiritual sequel Biomega are both really good cyberpunk series if you want something along the lines of Battle Angel Alita. Volume 1 of Blame! is loving hard to find nowadays, but it doesn't really add anything to the story and can be skipped.

My personal Blame! / Biomega caviate: Despite somehow having some loving insanely good art, everyone has retard eyes. The artist can't draw anyone without them being walleyed. It was distracting enough to me that I couldn't continue reading.

pentyne posted:

I really think its time for some kind of LoGH Simulwatchathon.

Odds are low. LoGH was one of the first simulwatches here I believe.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Wow and the whole forum didn't start on fire because of ~anime~?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Guilty Crown and Fractale were both pretty entertaining. I can understand not liking GC for being a pretty blatant Code Geass clone, but what was wrong with Fractale?

[I mean, aside for not being remotely what the creator hyped it up to be]

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I was pretty happy with the machine god elements and the idea of a 'perfect' system collapsing and how a world would deal with it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

I didn't like Guilty Crown not because it ripped off of Code Geass, I didn't like it because it's the stupidest loving thing ever. The characters constantly made idiotic decisions, and suffered from the biggest case of personality whiplash I've ever seen in the extremes "Hey, I'm going to be a cruel dictator here, whoops didn't work out so now I'M JESUS". The whole thing is completely moronic that's only alleviated by decent animation and the occasional bit of fun craziness, but since I don't do the whole "It's so bad it's good!" shtick some people do with things I thought it was completely bad.

I very rarely like things for being 'so good they are bad' but then again maybe the stuff you are complaining about just doesn't register for me; I unironically liked Code Geass season 2 like a whole lot for instance, and at no point was it because I thought it was an entertaining train wreck like so many people seem to.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

Any manga or anime that explores depression as a central theme?

Evangelionnnnnnn

Now to be more specific, do you mean as out and out DEALING with depression or depression as a subtext or motivator?

There are plenty of great shows that are depressing because the creator is depressed, and Eva is one of the best examples I can think of of actually depressed people acting like depressed people.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 27, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Asking for a slice of life and then calling it boring is really funny to me for some reason. Like, haha funny.

HB has a few exciting moments but its really just about loving around with these characters for a few episodes and getting just a tiny peak into the strange world they've come to inhabit.

So it's quite nice if you find yourself interested in the world or the characters. If you don't then there's really nothing there for you.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hyouga is good if you are okay with it being very slowly deliberately paced and for at least a large portion being fairly episodic. I fell out of it but it certainly wasn't bad, just not my cup of tea. Check it out.

[Bartender worked for me because booze]

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

gmq posted:

I'm going on a 5-hour train trip so I'm looking for things to watch during it. I watched The Legend of Korra last trip so now I'm looking for something similar (actiony), like FMA if I hadn't watched it already.

Any suggestions?

You'll barely have time for a 12 episode series even if you watch straight through

If you have't yet, watch the first season of Jojo (it owns)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Don't watch anime at work

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

All of these shows seem super depressing. Do you have any quirky slice of life stuff that involves romance and ridiculously happy characters? I wish I had something to compare it to, but I've already played most of my cards in my first post.

Edit: I take that back. I really like Robotics;Notes. I want one with a character as happy as Akiho.

Sooo you didn't really mean broken people, you meant "lol teh random" people huh.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

I feel like I might have something wrong with me because I just can't make myself like Grave of the Fireflies. I like almost everything about it, but there's something about the way the characters are written that makes me totally unable to feel sympathy for them which makes the tragic story bereft of any emotional impact.

Congrats you lack the basic human emotion "empathy"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

Emma: A Victorian Romance is the very first thing that comes to mind, but don't go expecting any Metal soundtracks.

After that, It's been a LONG time since I've seen it but maybe Peach Girl and I'd also recommend Toradora as well.

CommissarMega posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone! I've actually watched Eureka Seven already, should have mentioned that :shobon: In any case, I'm going to try Emma and that second suggestion of a kitten for now. As for the mteal- meh, I can live without it.

What I'd give for some unholy combination of Brutal Legend and Kannazuki no Miko...

Emma is an amazing manga and a pretty alright anime. The manga covers much much more material and has a wonderful ending. The anime is pretty okay but the second season throws a curve ball in that it goes very off the rails (in particular, mucking about with the plot and changing a major character's motivations.), and has a completely different ending, which is very happy but quite different (it's very definitive and much more 'and this is wahte happened the end' than the manga.

Anime is not bad by a stretch but the manga is SO SO SO good (and so much better) and is probably one of the most beautifully illustrated books I've ever had the pleasure to read.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Art was the only thing that grabbed me about hyouka. I was bored out of my mind by ep 9 or 10 and was horrified when I learned it was a full 24-26 series.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Please don't watch star driver it really tries as hard as possible in the end to kill retroactively any enjoyment the preceding episodes might have had for you.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jon Joe posted:

I think you confused my request for the worst as the the best. There's no way that's really the official dub, right? Somebody voiced over it ala an abridged series?

Central park media is not known for their stunning dubs.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Watch sac first.

When I first watched innocence I thought it was a bunch of pretentious bullshit. Mainly, because like you say the most fleshed out character from the first movie doesn't appear. On the other hand, after watching sac and then giving innocence another try, I enjoyed it much much more, since I was familiar with the rest of the cast who's short moments are more like treats than short lines from random mooks.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Reason posted:

Can anyone recommend some stuff thats in the style of the anime sections in Kill Bill? I thought that was fairly well drawn and I liked the style. I also like the gunplay, gore and action of it.

Not the same animation (that was production IG right?) but Black Lagoon.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'd like to know what the gently caress shows you've been watching if you think bones is cheaping out on the animation. They are one of the most consistently quality studios around.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

With that in mind, would you guys suggest watching all of FMA, or would it be better to jump to Brotherhood at the divergence point?

Watch all of it. It's different enough that its not like you'll be retreading old ground.

I prefer the original honestly. Which isn't to say I dislike fma:b but I really like where the original went.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Watch both and make your own decisions holy crap. Even if you don't like it it's still better than 99.9% of televised entertainment, anime or otherwise

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

He asked for opinions and that's what he got, don't get bent out of shape because the majority of replies don't agree with your opinion that the first FMA went in a good direction, thanks.

Don't get bent out of shape that I'm bent out of shape, thanks~

ViggyNash posted:

I think I'll just finish FMA before Brohood. I tried to watch ep 12 of Brohood, but there were lots of little discrepancies in both the plot and backstory that I don't want to have to go backwards to understand.

Yeah. Just watch all of em both. You may end up not liking parts of it(like many people who are not me!) but watching some perfected combination is perhaps better on a second watch through after you've decided what's is and isn't for you / for someone who maybe doesn't like anime and you are trying to make things as uncomplicated as possible but stills hare a cool series.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Corte posted:

I'm in DamnGlitch's camp for what it's worth. I definitely recall liking parts of both better than the other but can't rightly say what they are since it's been so long. It may be that people are right about their combination of FMA and FMA:B but it's worth finding out for yourself I feel. I guess if there are time constraints and you can't be bothered then the amalgamation is your best bet though.

All other things aside, brotherhood definitely shits the bed on the early 'oh gently caress' moments. Some of the most affecting stuff it tries to jam into the first couple episodes and it just doesn't work.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's more or less impossible to even start explaining, considering where 3.0 has left us. I'm ambivalent until the last one comes out.

I enjoyed 3.33, but it's so out there that it's hard to really examine it without the last film. 2.22 on the other had, in using its contrast with the series, is really really incredible.

That said, don't be the guy who jerks off eva too hard. Go enjoy some other anime; half the reason people still stick their nose up at eva today is because folks hyped it up to crazy levels back in the 90s until everyone felt obliged to hate it.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 6, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The first battle is kind if weary some in the tv version. The event immediately after are compelling as are those leading up to ep 14.

The movie that replaces the first episodes is the way way to start since the first episodes have the worst animation of the whole series, and the movie has a budget to play with.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's not that confusing to be honest. There's the movies, there's sac, and then there's gonna be Arise, which will be it's own set of movies IIRC.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

That's amazing. So, what happens is pretty much what should happen to most everyman protagonists. I'm at work, so I probably shouldn't watch that vid.

Nah school days rules because the harem owners does what a sensible teen boy with harem powers would do: literally gently caress everyone in his class.

Its both the beauty of seeing someone finally just go for it in one of these harem anime, and then show the natural result of having a bunch of broads obsessed with some rear end in a top hat highschool kid who is loving his way through the yearbook.

The moral of the story: all harem leads are total spineless wieners cuz the alternative is gettin cut, apparently.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The big o dub owns bones. It's batman with giant robot of course he needs a superheroy voice.

I can see beck being annoying in the first episode but basically you have a wad of a friend.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Where do I find anime dubs? Like legally.

Go to a store and buy them; or Netflix, amazon, best buy? You have purchased media before yes?

Dubs are only made by media companies, so you basically have to find the licensed goods. There's a few anime blocks on television (adult swim) and those are always dubbed.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

Oh? I didn't realize there was a difference.

Anyway, I'm actually enjoying the first season. Whenever it's serious, it's so cheesy or bad that it's hilarious. When it isn't, it's decent comedy.

The comedy bits wouldn't be nearly as funny without the serious side.

I really liked the first season, even if the last arc dragged :gonzo: :Gonzo: :Gonzo:

Actually, truth be told, it's the only season of FMP I've watched. I've heard such good things about fumafu, but then there's that loving bear thing on the cover art and I can't imagine giving a gently caress, and because of that I never checked out the second season.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The higurashi anime is actually pretty good, really good, if you absolutely ignore the ovas (they are totally original to deen and horrid).

52ish eps of some hosed up stuff. It's good.

As stated above the vn is a better vector for the story but it has poo poo awful art and is so so so very long. Which is great if you are into reading but the anime is very entertaining on its own, and without knowing about what happens in the vn doesn't feel like its lacking.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 11, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

There are patches to use the PS2 character art in the game, which are obviously recommended.

I liked the anime well enough when it aired but I can't honestly in good faith recommend it over the sound novel at this point.

Oh I know. You know I know, it's just as a path to entry the anime is far far easier to obtain and get into than the VN.

So I think the anime is a great recommendation, with the caveat that yeah, if you can get past it not being animated the VN is a better execution.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pulpie posted:

Also, Gantz was awful.

Well duh.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If you watch ggundam I hope you like some idiot going "my super move! I need... Super move" For like a whole loving episode.

Check it out, since everyone here likes it for some reason, but its not really like anything that made gundam popular in the first place. Most of the characters are likable, and the lady has a battle leotard on at one point.

For actually gundam stuff, oc movies, + zeta tv series, + cca, then fill in as you like. Lots of people here like 0080 but I don't because children are awful, stardust memory has good animation, some crazy rear end fights, and a few really awful characters. Also maybe a little retconny if you care about that poo poo.

Years ago the forum was united in thinking 08th ms team was peak uc gundam, but at some point tho tone has shifted more negatively. I recommend it still, minus millers report.

Zz is basically a crazy fever dream after zeta, and the way later series are sort of optional though v has some cool (depressing) poo poo going. I haven't seen unicorn, but it looks goddamn nuts and I'm waiting for it.

Turn a is really excellent, if you can deal with not having tons of action up top its really good, sort of like a movie from the 70s.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love wing but its kind of the Adtrw gundam whipping boy next to seed.

That's what got me into gundam and its still my favorite, even if I like uc as a setting better.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

One of the Gundams is a windmill. A Windmill Gundam. From the Netherlands. Whose entire design is based around transforming into a windmill(with a Gundam V-fin on the top of it) so it can hide from the other competitors until there's only two left and sneak attack them for the victory. No, seriously.

There is a robot horse Gundam piloted by an actual horse. Neo Norway's Gundam is a Viking Gundam that plugs itself into the front of a giant Viking Longship to move around in water.

The show destroys The Statue of Liberty twice during its run, which I don't think has happened elsewhere in the history of media. One of which involves the torch being an apocalyptic superweapon that fires a gigantic laser beam. Also, all the major cities of the current day world are floating in space.

G Gundam is Peak Silliness, played completely straight.

G Gundam is a series that sounds ridiculous and fun on paper but is actually way less interesting than descriptions would have you believe. In my opinion, anyway.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

You are one of the few people who doesn't like G, and also one of the few who genuinely likes Wing, apparently after watching it recently and not floating along on nostalgia alone?

G ain't perfect and I'm not saying it is, but good lord, Wing is far lower on the quality ladder than it.

One of the few people in Adtrw, anyway. It's wing lovers and g gundam not likers in my circle of friends. Hardly hard evidence, but I've only ever felt like the odd man out about this here.

I still think he should check it out.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I would say p&s is very western to the point that if you don't like the shows its giving homage to you probably won't like it. Also sex and poo poo jokes. If you don't like those its also likely you won't care for it. It's pretty plotless as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

.hack is not very good, or at least for all my attempts to get into it was incredibly difficult to get hooked. I spent more time with the incredibly terrible PS2 game(s).

In terms of 'online games meet the real world', I enjoyed Btoom! even if no one else did. It's 12 episodes, very similar to battle royale, and at this point is incomplete like highschool of the dead is, AKA seems to exist solely to point people at the manga. I'm reasonably sure the same team was behind it, actually.

Btoom! is a modeled after an online FPS, and like I mentioned it wasn't well received here, at least. But if you like vaguely exploitative fights to the death, ala Battle Royale, it might be up your alley.

• Locked thread