Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Revolution started out fairly strong, but it really kind of peters out because despite being an anime-original story much of its plot is cribbed directly from the first season. That's not even an exaggeration, it's almost literally the same thing. I don't remember it being offensively bad but besides maybe the OP none of it was that memorable.

I too like NEXT and TRY more than the original, but even I would not say that Revolution is better than it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It was a TVIV simulwatch, actually. It went off quite well though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DamnGlitch posted:

Wow and the whole forum didn't start on fire because of ~anime~?
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a pretty universally good show it turns out :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Everything else everyone said except :hr: I guess.

There is no M. Night twist present in HR, at least. That's more or less the whole point, that you're left to speculate and wonder about this rather peculiar and melancholic world.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I love Slayers but keep in mind it's mostly comedic and very 90's.

The first thing that came to mind when I thought of something similar to Avatar or FMA was The Twelve Kingdoms.

Also just to be clear, the FMA you watched was Brotherhood? Because if not, get on that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
NHK manga definitely put me in a pretty dark place, way beyond just depressing. It's the type of story that'll make you want to call your mother to tell her you love her.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You may already know this but Fate/Zero was written by the same person (Gen Urobuchi) who wrote Madoka and Psycho-Pass. So yeah it is actually pretty bleak.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ShardPhoenix posted:

Is there a recommended way to get into the Fate series? I've heard the first anime wasn't as good as the VN, but I dunno if I want to have to replay a VN 6 times to get the good ending or however that works.
To further what Blhue said, despite being very long FSN is structured in a very intelligent way. The three routes are designed to be unlocked and played linearly, so they thematically flow into each other and make it feel like you are actually progressing characterization-wise rather than resetting each time. And any time you do start over, the scene skip function is incredibly robust and will allow you to get to any one point you've already been in a few minutes. And the translation patch comes with a very thorough walkthrough for tracking down any one ending or bad end (you'll want to get all of them, and will probably get most of them naturally).

Conversely, you could just watch Fate/Zero, which is certainly enjoyable in its own right. I think most people would agree though you'll get a bit more out of it if you've finished FSN. But above all, avoid all other Fate anime adaptions. I'm not saying you necessarily have to play the VN, but it's all or nothing. Do not waste your time with the DEEN series and movie.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first thing that came to mind was Baccano!.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
When we picked our favorite series for 2000-2009, I put Eureka seveN as my fourth favorite. It's pretty great. Some of it is "you had to be there" following along as each release slowly came out, but I think it has one of the biggest hearts for lack of a better word I've seen in an anime story. The main couple is very adorable and there's some really great character moments scattered throughout for everyone else. Great soundtrack as well. There are some growing pains in the first half, but it picks up a lot of steam towards the halfway point and just explodes in the last 10 or so episodes. This is not to say the earlier episodes are bad though.

E7 is hardly features the best animation I've ever seen but I would not say that it holds it back either. I mostly just remember the occasional character model being off (Eureka suddenly getting shorter), and the third OP being a travesty.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SpaceViking posted:

Eureka Seven I always thought was just a decent show up until around episodes 24, 25, 26, and 27. At that point I was totally hooked, where previously E7 was just that show I watched while i was waiting for whatever show came after it on Adult Swim.
I loving love episode 26, it's surely amongst my favorite all-time anime episodes. This track :swoon:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Do you like Guy Ritchie movies? Structurally, Baccano! is very similar. You have an array of unrelated events that converge upon each other in unexpected and wild ways. The idea being that it's something that builds, builds, and builds, as well as asking the viewer to pay attention as details jump back and forth in the timeline. It's something that once it grabs you, you have to kind of marvel that artistically someone was able to get away with it in these times of so much banality in anime.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Redcrimson posted:

Baccano has a better narrative, but it also has way too many characters.
Well, it is an ensemble cast. Not a whole of anime use that approach. In fact I can't really think of any others off the top of my head. Even Durarara!! very clearly has main characters in Mikado and Celty.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hate to break it to you but E7:AO turned out to be pretty mediocre and unnecessary.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't remember how I felt at the beginning, but basically there is a villain introduced who is monumentally dumb and became a sort of black hole that sucked the whole show down with him.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

berenzen posted:

So I just blew through the entirety of Madoka Magica, and while it was really loving good, I'm kinda :smith:ed over it. Any recommendations on something a little bit more upbeat/uplifting? I don't think I want to go through something quite as dark that right now.
My go-to uplifting anime is Tsuritama. It's fun little quirky show about making friends and fishing and aliens. I rarely watch OPs a second time but I felt compelled to do so with Tsuritama because it never failed to put a smile on my face.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Unless they're receiving DMCA letters from interested parties I very much doubt they would give a poo poo. What they will care about is if you use an excessive amount of bandwidth, especially uploads.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

Yea, that would be nice to know. How much of FMA does the intro episodes of FMA:B cover?
The two start to diverge during the Fifth Labatory story, which is episode 19 of the original and episode 7 (!) in Brotherhood.

TBQH I think people should just read the manga and avoid this hassle.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the manga actually does a few things better than Brotherhood; off the top of my head the ending episodes were a little better paced in the manga, which is because the two of them actually ended at almost the same time. So Arakawa got to pace her ending just the way she liked it, while BONES had to make the closest approximation based upon whatever Arakawa gave them for info ahead of time. There are also a few stories that are skipped or dramatically shortened here and there, which perhaps while not necessary in the grand scheme of things were still enjoyable and should have been cut. And of course, if you completely ignore the existence of the first anime, the manga's introduction to the story is leagues better. I actually really hate the first ~20 or so episodes of Brotherhood because they completely half-assed them assuming people would have already watched the first series.

But for you at least the genie is already out of the bottle, so I really couldn't say. The two are still essentially the same story.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 2, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I could not watch Index. I've tried twice and even when I skipped ahead to the "good stuff" in the Sisters arc I still found it tedious and boring. I've gotten by just fine just reading the Railgun manga and watching the anime and haven't really felt lost at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

StandardVC10 posted:

So I guess I'm curious about comedy animes. I watched all of Azumanga Daioh and liked it quite a bit, and I have enjoyed Hataraku Maou-sama so far. Hidamari Sketch was decent but very slow paced. That's about all that I've ever bothered to watch more than one or two episodes of.

edit: Also, I guess I prefer more self-contained, sketch-type stuff, rather than following a long story arc across a bunch of episodes. But it's not a deal breaker.
Daily Lives of Highschool Boys

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like to think Eva's stock has gone up as time goes on and people forget or grow out of the period of time when it was The Best Thing Ever of the 90's to early 00's. Partly because the Rebuild movies came out, but also because frankly there are so many other shows that took its place for people to overrate or get hyperbolic about.

Wholeheartedly recommend Utena as well, that would be a nice follow-up.

I was supremely disappointed with Ideon myself. I think your enjoyment of it would depend upon how much you can stand Tomino's characters. Gendo is more likeable than most of them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would actually recommend the first two movies instead of the first two episodes, if at all possible. The first movie is technically the first episode anyway, and I think a lot of people would agree that the second movie is an overall improvement over the first two episodes.

And yes the show goes out of its way to remind viewers who is who. Most likely you will remember everyone important anyway, because the cast is extremely memorable.

It's also alright to take it slow, it's 110 episodes but it's also neatly divided up into seasons like any other series. Though if you're like me and a lot of others, not marathoning it will be very difficult! I finished it myself in about a week, unintentionally :shobon:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's Movie 1, and canonically the first event in the series. Think of it as the pilot.

Movie 2 is "Overture to a New War", which is a remake of the first two episodes of the series. Generally regarded as a superior alternative to those two episodes (meaning you could watch the two movies and start the series with episode 3).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Corte posted:

I'm thinking of watching Steins;Gate, Baccano! or Seirei no Moriboto now.
Hard to say which of the three you'd like more; they're all pretty different. Baccano! is a fun and crazy Guy Ritchie action/thriller with a great ensemble cast and a killer setting, Steins;Gate is an extraordinarily compelling time travel romp with an outstanding main character (though I do agree that all things equal, the VN is a little bit better), and Seirei no Moriboto is a great if low-key fantasy adventure with many of the Ghost in the Shell staff at the helm.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Corte posted:

Sorry, I wasn't looking for which to go with next, though thanks for the suggestions. Just saying where I was headed next for no particular reason. So the novel of S;G is available in english? I have only ever read Battle Royale so I'm definitely interested in expanding my horizons in terms of fiction reading.
Don't worry about it too much if you can't track down the Visual Novel, the anime is still quite good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bruc posted:

This may not be the best thread for it but is Eureka 7 AO worth watching if I enjoyed the original? I watched the first episode of it last night and didn't really know what to make of it.
No.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Durarara!! is pretty great. Its main problem is that the third arc is kind of weak, which wouldn't be an issue normally except it's the arc that closes out the season. Luckily the two extra episodes that were released later were a lot of fun and serve as a better ending. It's absolutely worth watching if you liked Baccano!.

Endorph posted:

I rewatched Slayers recently and found myself really enjoying it. So, two questions -

A) How do the other seasons of Slayers pan out? Are there any that should be avoided at all costs?

and

B) Are there any other anime that hit that same animated SNES JRPG/D&D game feel?
Almost every Slayers fan will agree that NEXT, the second season, is the best of the bunch. I personally also love TRY (third season), even more so than the original season, but that's not exactly a popular opinion. The thing with TRY is that there are four filler episodes in the middle that are very painful and disrupt the pacing majorly; on every rewatch I've straight out skipped them and enjoyed it a lot more as a result. The new series from a few years ago was Revolution (and Evolution-R?). It was....OK. The problem was that it was almost literally a rehash of the first season of Slayers. I would skip this one. I was not a fan of what little I saw of the OVAs or movies.

As for your second question, how about Record of Lodoss War?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My only problem with the Baccano! dub is that you miss out on Caaaaarooru~.

E: I am a big, big fan of Ranma 1/2's dub.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's not even just that they covered the worst route, it's also that DEEN is an incompetent and terrible studio. When they got around to adapting the much better UBW route as a movie, surprise, it was also poo poo.

Conversely Fate/Zero was animated by ufotable, who had already built up quite a rep animating a different TM work called Kara no Kyoukai. They're kind of the defacto TM adaption studio now I guess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I loved Kara no Kyoukai. It tries a little hard at times and can kind of feel overly verbose and pretentious, but it's incredibly well made. I found its more nuanced/cerebral/psychological approach to be quite fascinating, and its animation and music are outstanding. Some of the fights are pretty jaw dropping, as well. Movie 5 in particular is incredible.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 9, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's kind of apples and oranges, they're two different kinds of show with likely two different sets of expectations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

Wow. Nichibros took SURPRISE BITCHES it was all a dream to a whole new level.

Also there was not a single suplex. I'm disappointed.
Sounds to me like you should watch FMP? Fumoffu next.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DamnGlitch posted:

The comedy bits wouldn't be nearly as funny without the serious side.

I really liked the first season, even if the last arc dragged :gonzo: :Gonzo: :Gonzo:

Actually, truth be told, it's the only season of FMP I've watched. I've heard such good things about fumafu, but then there's that loving bear thing on the cover art and I can't imagine giving a gently caress, and because of that I never checked out the second season.
You don't have to watch Fumoffu to watch The Second Raid, there's pretty much no plot in Fumoffu.

Wark Say posted:

Tonight, I'll start watching LoGH... however, since I'm pretty much just going to watch that for the rest of the year on Fridays, I need a further recommendation for the weekends: Can you recommend me something creepy to read or watch?

Now, when I say creepy, I say in a sense of something akin to Horror or Thriller, not like... you know, skeevy :pedo: bullshit or anything of the sort. Something that makes you cringe because you can't help but to get this feeling of complete helplessness when watching the characters. Like what the Silent Hill series had going for it on the original tetralogy or Shiki on its more :suspense: moments.
Higurashi, probably :effort: I don't supposed you'd be up for the much better Sound Novel?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DamnGlitch posted:

As stated above the vn is a better vector for the story but it has poo poo awful art and is so so so very long. Which is great if you are into reading but the anime is very entertaining on its own, and without knowing about what happens in the vn doesn't feel like its lacking.
There are patches to use the PS2 character art in the game, which are obviously recommended.

I liked the anime well enough when it aired but I can't honestly in good faith recommend it over the sound novel at this point.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think that's going to be a hard one, since E7 having all of those qualities was what made it stand out. For manga the first thing that sprang to mind was Satoshi Mizukami, but I know you've read some of those.

A couple of shots in the dark:

Yumekui Merry: The setting is kind of shounen, but I really liked the characters in this.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor: Older and perhaps not too original in its setting, but again the characters are great and the scope does pan out to be pretty big.

Kurau Phantom Memory: A lesser known BONES show that I think is pretty underated/underwatched.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yumekui is a manga, though I think they did make an anime for it at some point.

Another one that just came to mind was the manga version of Houshin Engi. Pretty good cast, unique setting, enormous scope.

E: Found out myself, nevermind

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 12, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's in its second season, but don't forget Chihayafuru.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

If I want to get into Gundam, where should I start?
The "classics" are the original movie trilogy, Zeta Gundam, and Char's Counterattack.

I'm not really sure if those are the best introduction, but a lot of people start with them at least. Personally, the only two I would wholly recommend are 08th MS Team and Turn A which are legitimately knock your socks off great but pretty dissimilar to a lot of the other material. I think you have to have a pretty high tolerance for old Tomino to get through the classics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's not like any other Gundam besides Turn A had a good lead couple anyway.

• Locked thread