Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah dealing with depression as opposed to metaphors.

Holyland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Any recommendations for a good soccer/tennis sports anime? I've watched pretty much 0 sports anime so throw them at me.

It can be pretty much anything. Just people playing tennis or soccer to super moves with rackets exploding or goals being destroyed.

vv
Thanks, all! I'll give them a shot.

Don't watch Captain Tsubasa if you're not a latin american kid.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Endorph posted:

What if you are a Latin American kid?

Then you already saw it.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
A childhood of reading Mortadelo y Filemón and Condorito has left me with a love of really obvious punchlines, is there something comparable to the type of humor that Gintama uses? I've seen it's more or less common on slice of life types, but those are extremely hit and miss, so some recommendations would be nice(manga or anime is ok).

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Precambrian posted:

Hello, ADTRW!

I don't have that much experience with anime. I remember Dragon Ball Z when I was a kid, and, thanks to an anime-loving roommate, I saw Gankutsuo. I'm somewhat familiar with contemporary anime like Redline, Puella Magica, and Panty and Stocking, but I haven't actually seen any of them. Basically, I'm coming to you guys blind.

So I recently saw Pacific Rim and really enjoyed it. But what I particularly liked about it was how the movie was very much Giant Robot High, with hallway fights, awkward cafeteria moments, crushes, etc. More importantly, this High School aesthetic helped give the film an optimistic sci-fi outlook. So that's what I'm looking for: Giant Robot High anime, doesn't have to be upbeat, but I would prefer something optimistic and aspirational. I assumed that Giant Robot High was one of those archetypal animes, but looking through your wiki, that doesn't seem to be the case. I've been told that there are Gundams that get close to that criteria, but I'm not sure how many Gundams there are. I've also been told that Evangelion isn't quite what I'm looking for, but I should check it out. Thoughts?

Aquarion EVOL.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Fenrir posted:

It's not set in a high school, but you should watch Martian Successor Nadesico anyway because it's a ridiculously fun deconstruction of the Giant Robot Anime. Hell, I should re-watch that show. I think I'll start that this weekend.

He hasn't even watched a single robot anime yet, why would he want it deconstructed.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

I've been out of the anime loop for years, can someone point me towards a good psychological thriller or Kafkaesque anime?

I love relatively realistic characters dealing with strange situations, like Paranoia Agent and Satoshi Kon's movies.

Scifi with a heavy mood or noir styling is great too, like Cowboy Bebop, Darker than Black, and Big O.

Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, the Kafkaest anime.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
I was reading some Penny Arcade comic that kinda reminded me of Eatman, but everyone says it's just like Trigun. Now, I somehow have never seen Trigun, is it really comparable to Eatman? the manga was one of my favorites. And since I'm here, is there anything recent like it? I mean, in the "invincible guy goes around fixing things" mold.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Never read Nisekoi.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

That's a pretty abrupt rebuking! Is it really that terrible, it looks like a goofy premise leading to wacky hijinks. Status quo hell, or what?

Depends on your stance on tsunderes(everyone is tsundere). I just hate it more than usual because it's made by the Double Arts guy. By the way, I think Baby Steps is a good read, it's basically the opposite from Prince of Tennis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

For someone new to anime, the "full Gainax experience" is a terrible recommendation. Gainax was/is a studio full of anime fans making anime for anime fans.

In the first recomendation thread, people were still recommending Haruhi to newcomers.

• Locked thread