Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MadRhetoric posted:

And ESoD isn't the first Touhou game :ssh:

It's the first Touhou game that matters. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KataraniSword posted:

It's the first Touhou game that matters. :colbert:
Why do you have to make them so sad? You're like Sanae in this picture:

Speaking of which, Maku hasn't put out anything new recently, his latest picture is from last year. It's too bad, he draws the silliest things.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
That Oath of the Soul PV I just can't get enough of, I love how the danmaku works well as that fancy backdrop animation scenery...

Onean posted:

Hey, the recent Cybertron games were amazing. They're only tainted for coming out at around the time the Bay movies were, despite having absolutely nothing to do with them.

Beast Wars and Transformers Prime are also pretty drat awesome.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Hedera Helix posted:

Was it Mountain of Faith that saw the series really take off in popularity? I always thought that it happened around the time Imperishable Night was released.

Well it was probably around the time between PCB and IM or shortly after IM. I recall getting a lot of people into touhou with IM, so you are probably correct. IM being rather easy but awesome was probably a great help, along with the ever increasing number of awesome touhou songs and whatnot.

Though, once again, I might have a different perspective. I became a fan of touhou through the music, not the games, so I dunno.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So according to Sanbondo's blog,

Google Translate posted:

Anyway, there's "New" is "trial version" at the 10th Festival Hakurei Shrine cases coming I plan to distribute! I hope the public and even the title, so lonely indeed is lumped in with announcement of the patch, I think that if touched again later. Since the festival catalog cases might be released before that, I do not go by stay tuned. Prayer to be able to post again soon, Thank you! This time around here.

we might be seeing FMW3's trial version! Kind of fast, but maybe they spent the two years between FMW1 and FMW2 getting ready for 3 and 4 too.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

BlitzBlast posted:

So according to Sanbondo's blog,

we might be seeing FMW3's trial version! Kind of fast, but maybe they spent the two years between FMW1 and FMW2 getting ready for 3 and 4 too.

If only the translation patch for FMW2 would happen as quickly :v:.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I really want to have the gang go to Makai, because we'll likely run into Shinki as well as Byakuren.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

PCB came first for me because it featured three separate characters that had been brought to my attention in totally separate places.

- This girl from this cute super-engrishy music video about her relationship issues that she took out on her action figure collection.

- This stoner ghost with this holy poo poo amazing theme music OH MY GOD

- This one chick who was apparently like the dungeon master of whatever the gently caress Gensokyo was (which was apparently a land made entirely out of enormous, chubby, creepy anime heads because I saw the wrong fanart first.)

So it was pretty much a given that PCB was the Touhou for me.

Even though I can't even beat it on Normal gently caress

Honestly, these games are weird because I actually get worse at them the longer I play. A game over in an early stage is easy to recover from, but one in a later stage results in an attempted replay that is inevitably a complete disaster.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'm trying to buy IOSYS's new album (which they say can be shipped overseas) but I can't quite understand the instructions.

http://www.iosysshop.com/hpgen/HPB/entries/2.html#foreign

Am I supposed to e-mail them, or use the support forum? If there's a way to just buy these in a downloadable format that would be okay too.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I guess EoSD is technically my first Touhou, as I got started on the general fandom when I saw Flandre's wings and thought they were neat. Listened to the music, holy poo poo this stuff is cool, and I decided to play EoSD because I was a dumdum who thought that the games had a coherent, ongoing storyline (though to be honest, it did have one from MoF onwards).

Pureauthor posted:

I really want to have the gang go to Makai, because we'll likely run into Shinki as well as Byakuren.

It would make sense, what with Elly being around and all, as well as the hints dropped at the end of FMW 1 if I recall properly.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

HellCopter posted:

I'm trying to buy IOSYS's new album (which they say can be shipped overseas) but I can't quite understand the instructions.

http://www.iosysshop.com/hpgen/HPB/entries/2.html#foreign

Am I supposed to e-mail them, or use the support forum? If there's a way to just buy these in a downloadable format that would be okay too.

Yeah, looks like you send them an e-mail to that "shop" address in the FAQ. As far as downloadable goes, I can't figure it out with stuff I can't access at work, so maybe someone else can translate that bit.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
If you have a JP iTunes account (which you can set up with a JP iTunes gift card) you can download from iTunes or can buy through DLSite which has their own system.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
Gonna channel JosephWong for a minute and report that chapter four of suwako& has been translated: http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Ryusuitei

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Samurai Sanders posted:

For Reitaisai, Pixiv is having a picture contest, based on # of views broken down by game. The only remaining three are (from left to right) the main characters, EOSD, and PCB. My favorites have all already been eliminated...

Looks like the contest has ended.

I think the results were entirely expected, but I had hoped that SA would at least make it to Round 3.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Looks like the new web demo for Hopeleess Masquerade just got released!
Don't expect to actually get to try it though, seems there's way too much pressure on the servers right now.

quote:

Known new content:

-Netplay

-Faith system implemented?

-Same 3 characters, more skills

-New stage: Human Village, Marisa's stage, BGM: Magus Night

Human Village bystanders: Rinnosuke, Suika, Yuugi, Eirin, Tewi, Kaguya, Udonge, Mokou, Keine

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Huh, Suika and Yuugi are in the human village? Wonder why.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Pureauthor posted:

Huh, Suika and Yuugi are in the human village? Wonder why.

I imagine that the human village has a bar.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
It does.

Also added to the demo besides netplay and the new stage is the crowd cheering for you when you beat the other person up and-

Marisa, dear, you got something in your eye.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Also your arm appears to have been replaced with a tube of dough.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, looks like the art's not going to be improving anytime soon. Keeping in tradition of course!

Anyway, here's a functional link to the trial.
And some details about the mechanics that I'll just shamelessly copy:

quote:

Faith:

Shintoism - shooting range specialization.

More bullets, better homing; lower capability to destroy other bullets, bullets have greater tendency to disappear after being grazed.

Taoism - shooting speed specialization.

Better speed and penetration, greater grazing friction; worse homing.

Buddhism - close combat specialization.

Larger bullet hitbox; significant lower range. "High speed attack" (arrow key + strong attack) can be comboed.

Chicken Guard:

Press "attack" to defend (?), audience dislikes it.

Brave Guard:

Press "back" when the attack is about to hit, audience likes it.
Maybe it's just me but that blocking mechanics seems backwards. You'd think people would like to see parries and stuff.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

HGH posted:

Maybe it's just me but that blocking mechanics seems backwards. You'd think people would like to see parries and stuff.

People like Dragon Ball, which is all about just punching the air and bouncing all over the place.

Also, more than people like parries, nobody likes that rear end in a top hat who plays Iceman in MvC3 and just blocks all the time.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Brave blocking is parrying, you hit the button right before the attack connects and you get a rainbow shield and some confetti instead of the usual blocking animation.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Nages posted:

Brave blocking is parrying,
Now I want to see people pull off this crazy parrying in touhou.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I do want to say that just for what this is, it looks really, really good. Gensokyo is always pretty, but here they're bringing out an identifiable human element (and in the literal sense, at that).

You always knew this stuff was there in the background, of course, but it's about time that an official game showed it off. I love where they're going with these stage designs.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Apparently, Gensokyo's human village is a town transported from the Old West and given a Japanese facade. I am not opposed to this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, considering Gensokyo's gimmick is "the land of legends and things doubted", and the Wild West is downright mythical to the general public at this point, it would totally fit. :v:

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

KataraniSword posted:

Iceman in MvC3
what

But to be on topic, this is pretty cool, but it seems odd to have Rinnosuke there when he would much rather be in his store and not have Akyu or Kosuzu when they live in the village.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Assuming background characters won't appear in more than one stage, I figure that means there won't be a Kourindou stage.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They could be screwing with us all and any of those characters could be in the game as player characters too. It wouldn't be too hard to just take that sprite out of the background when someone is using one of those characters, I think.

I'm still hoping for Yuugi, what the hell good is she if she's not gonna be a fg character? And she has to carry that booze bowl in her hand at all times, of course.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 13, 2013

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

The game is about a religious conflict so Yuugi really wouldn't make much sense as a character.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It makes no sense for Marisa to be participating in a religious conflict either, though.

Rooting for Kogasa to make a surprise appearance as playable.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Marisa's a Main Character, she's contractually obliged to show up in everything.

I wonder what the TD stage will be. The underground mausoleum? Or that underground base they're all living in?

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012
I figured Marisa hangs out at Reimu's shrine so much she might as well make it her business to get involved, that seems like something she'd do. You know, if you need an actual reason besides being a main character.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Pureauthor posted:

It makes no sense for Marisa to be participating in a religious conflict either, though.

Marisa's alluded to liking the idea of immortality before. Maybe she thinks she'll get something out of Miko.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Maybe she wants to beat up everyone and then rob them blind while they're nursing their wounds.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
As a soldier of fortune (or of looting), a religious war seems like a really good thing to get involved in to me. Both sides aren't going to let up, and you can make a killing, literally and figuratively.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm still hoping for Yuugi, what the hell good is she if she's not gonna be a fg character? And she has to carry that booze bowl in her hand at all times, of course.

Even when she loses, her sake not even drop.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Nages posted:

The game is about a religious conflict so Yuugi really wouldn't make much sense as a character.

When has "sense" ever factored into anything in Touhou? :colbert:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

At least someone from Subterranean Animism needs to show up as playable. Utsuho's the logical choice, seeing as how she's probably still hopped up on Yatagara-juice, but Yuugi is herself just seems like a natural fit for a fighting game, whatever the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

It was a slight typo, I meant MvC2. Blocking without chip damage is the most obnoxious poo poo in that game. But back on topic!

Saigyouji posted:

Marisa's alluded to liking the idea of immortality before. Maybe she thinks she'll get something out of Miko.

It's far more likely she'd angle to get something out of Byakuren, as that was who she was trying to sweet-talk in SoPM.

Personally, I'm still gunning for Tenshi showing up somehow with a "Celestials are better than all of your religions :smugdog:" stance.