Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

There's pretty good odds Byakuren is gonna be a playable character, and she already covers the strong, physical slot that Yuugi would, being a muscle mage and all. Her bio in UFO says she uses her magic to give her super strength, plus apparently Bhuddism buffs your melee power, so Yuugi's niche is basically covered already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

a cartoon duck posted:

There's pretty good odds Byakuren is gonna be a playable character, and she already covers the strong, physical slot that Yuugi would, being a muscle mage and all. Her bio in UFO says she uses her magic to give her super strength, plus apparently Bhuddism buffs your melee power, so Yuugi's niche is basically covered already.
Yeah, you're probably right.

HIJIRIN BUSTER!!

edit: that artist (Nekobatake) really REALLY likes Byakuren and Miko. Also he always draws Byakuren with her eyes narrowed or closed, it even has its own tag and encyclopeda entry.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 13, 2013

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
drat, all the new things in Hopeless Masquerade are sweet. Though I'm still dying here from not knowing who else is gonna be in the game. Oh well, Reimu for life, I guess.

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid
Is the Moriya shrine going to get represented in the new game?
Would be kinda weird since they're all basically living gods already.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sanae is guaranteed to be a playable character for the Shinto side.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Kanako's also pretty big and hands-on with the whole gathering faith thing, she's a pretty natural fit for this game.

Personally I'm hoping for Kasen Ibara to be included as well. The fact that she's not included in Reimu's stage when that's basically her favourite hang-out in the manga is pretty re-assuring on that front.

Fighting Falken
Aug 13, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Personally I'm hoping for Kasen Ibara to be included as well. The fact that she's not included in Reimu's stage when that's basically her favourite hang-out in the manga is pretty re-assuring on that front.

Yeah same here, she'd be pretty cool based on what she can do in that manga. The hermit thing is totally a good enough excuse to include her, right? :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Her crouching heavy punch has to be extending that mist arm of hers like Dhalsim.

edit: by the way, does anyone watch Chen Chen Mini Touhou? It's always happy but the latest one especially so, it has almost no language so I think anyone can enjoy it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 14, 2013

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Noticed the poll again and wondered what a Touhou faction from the three main Abrahamic religions would be.

Saint Peter vs Shikieiki judge-fest?

Jesus as a touhou girl attempting to out-jesus Byakuren?

Kvetching and oy vey from the jewish faction?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Mohammed as a girl in a frilly dress and headscarf.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
Wait is the game seriously based on a religious debate? How can there be room for a debate when you got litteral gods as a characters? I figured they'd... well, they would have a lot authority on this.

Oh no, my suspension of disbelief in a nonsense games series about magical monsters and their lasers, ruined~

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

raocow posted:

Wait is the game seriously based on a religious debate? How can there be room for a debate when you got litteral gods as a characters? I figured they'd... well, they would have a lot authority on this.

Oh no, my suspension of disbelief in a nonsense games series about magical monsters and their lasers, ruined~

They don't need to prove their religion is valid (given that yes, actual gods are bumming around and all), but they do want to make their own religion more popular/prestigious.

That's the reason behind the popularity mechanic being built into the game.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aliginge posted:

Jesus as a touhou girl attempting to out-jesus Byakuren?

Ahem :colbert:

Aliginge posted:

Kvetching and oy vey from the jewish faction?

Dr. Sunshine's right below you- why not ask him/her? :v:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

raocow posted:

Symposium of Post-mysticism is an official book where Marisa moderates debates between the big four (Reimu, Kanako, Byakuren and Miko) with Akyuu recording the conversations. Its actually quite interestin and funny!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I think the more important question is which Touhou would be the annoying atheist who goes around and snidely remarks on all of the religions?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I think the more important question is which Touhou would be the annoying atheist who goes around and snidely remarks on all of the religions?
Honestly that still seems like Reimu to me. What the hell religion does she have anyway? Her shrine doesn't enshrine a god or anything right? It's just where she lives and maintains the barrier from. All she does is go around smashing other people's organizations.

edit: speaking of Reimu, this came up today, it's pretty nice.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 14, 2013

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly that still seems like Reimu to me. What the hell religion does she have anyway? Her shrine doesn't enshrine a god or anything right? It's just where she lives and maintains the barrier from. All she does is go around smashing other people's organizations.

edit: speaking of Reimu, this came up today, it's pretty nice.

Well, actually, that sorta got answered recently. Chapter 17 of OSP got translated a week or so ago, and it pretty much dealt with that issue. This is a bit out of context but sorta answers those questions.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly that still seems like Reimu to me. What the hell religion does she have anyway?

She's a Shintoist. Not a very devout one, especially compared to Sanae, but that doesn't mean she isn't one. See: her clothes, her position, and her powers.

And her shrine does have a god, she just doesn't know its name. Or give a drat about it. It is apparently annoyed at this, but seeing how she hasn't been evicted after 13 games of neglect it probably doesn't care that much.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

BlitzBlast posted:

She's a Shintoist. Not a very devout one, especially compared to Sanae, but that doesn't mean she isn't one. See: her clothes, her position, and her powers.

And her shrine does have a god, she just doesn't know its name. Or give a drat about it. It is apparently annoyed at this, but seeing how she hasn't been evicted after 13 games of neglect it probably doesn't care that much.

For all we know, it might not even exist anymore. After all, vampires and the like can visit the shrine with no problem.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlitzBlast posted:

So she has the outward trappings of a religion but no real spirituality. Zun's parable for real life in Japan, I assume?

Once I asked a Japanese friend who they pray to when they pray at shrines at New Year's and such. She said "I dunno...anyone is okay, I guess?"

edit: Shinto wasn't very unified at the time Gensokyo was closed away, either. It was codified and centralized and made into the state religion starting in the Meiji period. Before then it was not only all over the place but also mixed with Buddhism and stuff. It took late Edo period researchers a loooong time to sift through it all and figure out what of ancient animistic practices should be called Shinto and what shouldn't.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 14, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

For all we know, it might not even exist anymore. After all, vampires and the like can visit the shrine with no problem.

UFO Reimu B's Ending posted:

Byakuren: Nobody ... really worships at this shrine, do they?
Reimu: Geh. W-what makes you say that?
Byakuren: Well, the god here is so mad.

Okay come on guys, it's not that hard to just check up on stuff before you post it.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

BlitzBlast posted:

Okay come on guys, it's not that hard to just check up on stuff before you post it.

Sorry, my mistake.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

So she has the outward trappings of a religion but no real spirituality. Zun's parable for real life in Japan, I assume?

Once I asked a Japanese friend who they pray to when they pray at shrines at New Year's and such. She said "I dunno...anyone is okay, I guess?"

edit: Shinto wasn't very unified at the time Gensokyo was closed away, either. It was codified and centralized and made into the state religion starting in the Meiji period. Before then it was not only all over the place but also mixed with Buddhism and stuff.

It's more like Reimu respects the gods, but unlike Sanae she doesn't spend all her time on it. It's not that she's not spiritual, it's more that she kinda takes the gods for granted.

Reimu is the deepest character, she takes some time to really get.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

ElMaligno posted:

Symposium of Post-mysticism is an official book where Marisa moderates debates between the big four (Reimu, Kanako, Byakuren and Miko) with Akyuu recording the conversations. Its actually quite interestin and funny!

Even then, "Touhou Religious Debate" starts to look like this:

SoPM Chapter 1 posted:

Kanako: Oh, proselytizing now, are we? Don't think I'll take that lying down. Switch now and I'll throw in excellent luck on all your fortunes for two months.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

There's also the fact that most of Wild and Horned Hermit is Reimu coming up with hare-brained schemes to get more followers.

Hell, Oriental Sacred Place ended with Marisa remarking how Reimu's habit of befriending and using fairies and youkai makes her pretty hermit-like, so ZUN's been working towards the whole faith-mechanics in Hopeless Masquerade for a while now. It's pretty silly to suggest there's nothing spiritual about Reimu when her spirituality has been a central theme in several of ZUN's works now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess no one has translated the 7th Touhou M-1 Grand Prix yet, but Kanako and Sanae's role in the game sounds like it's going to be like this sketch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUY3pUuKbEU

"Is it okay to believe in that (Toyosatomimi) Miko, who is bathed in power, money and violence!?"

a cartoon duck posted:

There's also the fact that most of Wild and Horned Hermit is Reimu coming up with hare-brained schemes to get more followers.

Hell, Oriental Sacred Place ended with Marisa remarking how Reimu's habit of befriending and using fairies and youkai makes her pretty hermit-like, so ZUN's been working towards the whole faith-mechanics in Hopeless Masquerade for a while now. It's pretty silly to suggest there's nothing spiritual about Reimu when her spirituality has been a central theme in several of ZUN's works now.
Faith in HER, or in the god she represents but never tells anyone about? That's what I don't understand. Asking people to just have faith in her (and give her donations) isn't much of a religion.

edit: or is that part of Zun's take on modern religion too?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 14, 2013

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Reimu ain't give a gently caress about people having faith in her. When Sanae talks about shrine maidens being able to ascend into godhood from faith and how Reimu should be prepared for that, Reimu basically just retorts that she doesn't care about becoming a god.

The whole point of Reimu's faith and spirituality is that it's confusing and that she herself is basically confused about it, that's why Hopeless Masquerade has this whole flexible faith system, where your faith changes depending on the skills, items and spell cards you equip, and why Reimu is a pretty fitting central character in a game like HM.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Faith in HER, or in the god she represents but never tells anyone about? That's what I don't understand. Asking people to just have faith in her (and give her donations) isn't much of a religion.

edit: or is that part of Zun's take on modern religion too?

She wants them to
a.) Have faith in the Shinto religion, which is one of many gods. Just because Reimu's shrine has a specific god doesn't mean Reimu specifically wants them to worship her god.
b.) Use her shrine as opposed to Sanae's, in order to increase the level of donations.

So yeah, there is an element of self interest, but to suggest that Reimu isn't spiritual is wrong.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

a cartoon duck posted:

Reimu ain't give a gently caress about people having faith in her. When Sanae talks about shrine maidens being able to ascend into godhood from faith and how Reimu should be prepared for that, Reimu basically just retorts that she doesn't care about becoming a god.

The whole point of Reimu's faith and spirituality is that it's confusing and that she herself is basically confused about it, that's why Hopeless Masquerade has this whole flexible faith system, where your faith changes depending on the skills, items and spell cards you equip, and why Reimu is a pretty fitting central character in a game like HM.
Ah, it makes sense when you put it that way.

Namtab posted:

She wants them to
a.) Have faith in the Shinto religion, which is one of many gods. Just because Reimu's shrine has a specific god doesn't mean Reimu specifically wants them to worship her god.
b.) Use her shrine as opposed to Sanae's, in order to increase the level of donations.

So yeah, there is an element of self interest, but to suggest that Reimu isn't spiritual is wrong.
As for a), my point is that at the time that Gensokyo was closed away, Shinto wasn't really a thing yet, every shrine or group of shrines was in it for themselves, based on the gods that were enshrined there. It's really not so different now either, the shrines in the town I lived in were mostly to Hachiman, for example. That's why it's strange if she's like "whatever's good as long as it's Shinto (but not Moriya)".

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 14, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Namtab posted:

It's more like Reimu respects the gods, but unlike Sanae she doesn't spend all her time on it. It's not that she's not spiritual, it's more that she kinda takes the gods for granted.

Reimu is the deepest character, she takes some time to really get.

:stare:

Man, using the concepts "Deepest character" and "Touhou" in the same context just gives me the most massive case of cognitive dissonance. -- are you saying this unironically?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Just going to nip that in bud: no, he's not. It is a joke.

In other news, has anyone gotten the HM trial netplay to work? I assumed it was like HT's, but when I tried it with a friend it didn't go too well.

EDIT: Nevermind, success! :toot:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 14, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

As for a), my point is that at the time that Gensokyo was closed away, Shinto wasn't really a thing yet, every shrine or group of shrines was in it for themselves, based on the gods that were enshrined there. It's really not so different now either, the shrines in the town I lived in were mostly to Hachiman, for example. That's why it's strange if she's like "whatever's good as long as it's Shinto (but not Moriya)".

Gensokyo has modern things come over all the time, why can't it have modern shinto?

DrSunshine posted:

:stare:

Man, using the concepts "Deepest character" and "Touhou" in the same context just gives me the most massive case of cognitive dissonance. -- are you saying this unironically?
No
:thejoke:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Namtab posted:

Gensokyo has modern things come over all the time, why can't it have modern shinto?
It just seemed out of character for Reimu to be trying to modernize like that, but then I haven't read most of the official fiction you are talking about.

Up until today and reading your posts, I assumed that Reimu simply didn't know what her shrine was about, due to a break in oral transmission from her predecessors or something (which as a linguist I can tell you has happened countless times), and was just going through the motions of being a miko. I assumed her conflict with Moriya was purely a personal/money conflict.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Samurai Sanders posted:

According to wikipedia...
Shinto (or Koshinto) existed in Japan since the 8th century.
Modern Shinto began when it became the state religion of japan during the Meiji period in 1868.
Gensokyo (or to be more precise the Great Hakurei border) was apparently created in 1885.

However the year Gensokyo was created is really debatable, they use the sixty year cycle as a means to pinpoint its beginning. So if this is true the Gensokyo region was only exposed to "modern" for a handful of years. But the barrier has probably existed for a couple more centuries than the Touhou wiki assumes, oh well...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BlitzBlast posted:

Whatever god is probably as relaxed and lazy as Reimu is.
Since Gensokyo was created as a place for youkai and humans to live together, a god in charge of conflict wouldn't have a lot of responsibilities.

DrSunshine posted:

One of my favorite characters is Parsee Mizuhashi.

You probably haven't heard of her; she's pretty underground.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ElMaligno posted:

According to wikipedia...
Shinto (or Koshinto) existed in Japan since the 8th century.
Modern Shinto began when it became the state religion of japan during the Meiji period in 1868.
Gensokyo (or to be more precise the Great Hakurei border) was apparently created in 1885.

However the year Gensokyo was created is really debatable, they use the sixty year cycle as a means to pinpoint its beginning. So if this is true the Gensokyo region was only exposed to "modern" for a handful of years. But the barrier has probably existed for a couple more centuries than the Touhou wiki assumes, oh well...
The thing is, the name Shinto (including Koshinto "old Shinto") came about in the late Edo period to prepare Japan to be a modern country, they felt they needed a state religion to promote national unity and be taken seriously by other countries. They sifted through the various folk beliefs in Japan and chose the ones that best defined Japan as a country, and also that supported the concept of the emperor, since not all of them did. And of course, they claimed that's the way it always was, since who can refute it? They were the first ones to investigate Japanese indigenous beliefs in an organized way.

At least, that's how my (rather counter-nationalist) Japanese history prof explained it to me.

edit: Anyway this is getting all serious and dumb so here's a picture by Bion of Reimu riding a moped in the air.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 15, 2013

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: Anyway this is getting all serious and dumb so here's a picture by Bion of Reimu riding a moped in the air.

The legacy of ZUN's art continues.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

One of my favorite characters is Parsee Mizuhashi.

You probably haven't heard of her; she's pretty underground.

Parsee is like the only good post-IN character.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Thats not a moped (no pedals) or a scooter (big wheels) its the motherfucking Honda Super Cub (Passport in the US0, the best selling motorcycle of all time. It is a greater libarator (and mover) of people than the AK-47 and the FN FAL combined.

With that said let me tell you about all about touhou and motorcycles:

Look them Cubs, if I had one I would ride the gently caress out that tiny fun bike not giving a single gently caress. No helmets in any of these pictures (no unstrapped helmets don't count). Also LOL at the left hand shift.

Sidecars are the only way to TRULY rock three wheels on a bike, that is unless you are old as dirt and have back problems. The first two are either BMWs or URAL and Marisa looks like she is saying "YOU loving PUT TOO MANY CUCUMBERS IN THAT MOTHERFUCKING SANDWICH!". The last one is just horrible and I wanted to share my suffering with you guys, you are motherfucking welcome.

Sensible bikes for sensible ladies (except you Nitori at least wear some pants). The first two may be based off the Honda CB77 Superhawk or other similar Honda bikes from the 1960. The last one may be a Suzuki T250 but I am probably very wrong.

Aya shows them bitches how to do sick rear end wheelies and shoot comunist on her M1030M1. A diesel motorcycle based on the Kawasaki KLR650, so its a motherfucking diesel dual-sport. If some day this bike gets released to the public Cycle Asylum will collectively poo poo their pants and give all their money to those responsible.

Watchout guys theese girls are riding the only REAL motorcycle in this lovely rear end post. Why yes its a Harley(TM) V-ROD(TM). Full face helmet and shorts? A loving vest and a "helmet-hat"? :argh:

And now its time to go "awwwww" for these are tiny tiny clever motorcycles. Part of the Honda Z series these are tiny 50cc motorcycles you can take anywhere with you. Well they where no Honda Motocompo but you know what I mean.

Namtab posted:

Parsee is like the only good post-IN character.

And you are loving right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ElMaligno posted:

With that said let me tell you about all about touhou and motorcycles:
Post of the thread right here.

edit: While we're at it,

Probably not a real motorcycle so I guess I'm a philistine though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 15, 2013