Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Namtab posted:

Parsee is like the only good post-IN character.

I will fight you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ElMaligno posted:

No helmets in any of these pictures (no unstrapped helmets don't count).

Don't do this at home, kids, unless you have extra lives.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Post of the thread right here.

edit: While we're at it,

Probably not a real motorcycle so I guess I'm a philistine though.

That is based on the Suzuki Maruder, a big rear end cruiser with a big rear end radiator. SPEAKING OF SUZUKI

Ichirin shows how loving stylish she is by riding what probably is a 1986 GSX-R 750. Look at dat adorable derpy face :3:

Have another 1980 bike a Yamaha FZ750 Phazer a good picture that illustrates how small motorcycles actually are. Also dat bike :swoon:

Futo shows she is radical as gently caress on what is probably a Yamaha WR450F. RADICAL TAOIST ACTION.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I had to look up the artist using iqdb.org but drat, the artist of those first two (Masuta) loves touhous being all happy on motorcycles and other motor vehicles.

Aww....wait, why is there a car in the loving library? How did it get in? Also one of the tags says find the Marisa! I already found her.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 15, 2013

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also one of the tags says find the Marisa! I already found her.

Are you sure? The real Marisa lost her left shoe and her broom, which were lost back on page 6.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"
All those posts, and not one with that ZUN-art guy who does nothing but touhou characters with motorcycles?

I love how he must have spent hours getting that wheel exactly right, but just sort of Napoleon Dynamite'd the rider.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 15, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

All those posts, and not one with that ZUN-art guy who does nothing but touhou characters with motorcycles?

I love how he must have spent hours getting that wheel exactly right, but just sort of Napoleon Dynamite'd the rider.
If you're trying to get us to check out a particular artist, a link to the source would help.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you're trying to get us to check out a particular artist, a link to the source would help.
I've never been able to figure out how to navigate pixiv, so I just post pics and let image search do the work.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Whenever you're looking at the standard Pixiv image webpage, the artist will always be in top left.

You can click on the portrait or their name, or you can click on the Profile or Works tabs to the right of that.

If you're talking about finding someone on pixiv with just one of their images, than Google's image search allows you to drag-and-drop images to search by them, or you can upload one by clicking on the camera icon in the search bar. (Google's search result. Clicking the top link leads to a pixiv popularity listing, and finding the image there, about halfway down, will lead you to the artist's page for the image.)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Onean posted:

If you're talking about finding someone on pixiv with just one of their images, than Google's image search allows you to drag-and-drop images to search by them, or you can upload one by clicking on the camera icon in the search bar. (Google's search result. Clicking the top link leads to a pixiv popularity listing, and finding the image there, about halfway down, will lead you to the artist's page for the image.)

That doesn't work perfectly though, since Google doesn't search pixiv itself, for whatever reason. People should just link/name the artists/art more!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Just so everyone knows, every picture I post is linked to Pixiv through the picture itself, but to get there you probably need to right click on it and follow the link that way, since as of the latest forum code, left clicking causes it to bring the picture up to full size.

Oh, yesterday while I was looking for pictures that might suggest how Hijiri will play with her super strength in the new fg, I found this.

"Higher mom, higher! Higher!! Okay, maybe that's too high..."

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 15, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DrSunshine posted:

:stare:

Man, using the concepts "Deepest character" and "Touhou" in the same context just gives me the most massive case of cognitive dissonance. -- are you saying this unironically?

Maybe I'm just insane, but I think about this stuff a lot. I mean, Touhou. I guess you could say I overanalyze it as a hobby.

Anyway, while I'm loath to use the word "deep" to describe anything other than holes in the ground or bodies of water, I think Reimu is someone who it would be hard to understand if you only played the games. She's a shrine maiden, but doesn't know her god, etc etc the stuff you all talked about on the previous page.

Basically you can boil it all down to the fact that she's kind of stupid and doesn't know what faith is. Her "hare-brained schemes" to attract worshipers that she spends all of Wild and Horned Hermit doing, along with her attitude in things like Symposium of Post-Mysticism and Forbidden Scrollery all seem to indicate that she thinks of faith as "how much the people in the village like me" which converts directly into "how much they donate to the shrine". In other words, she thinks of it as a business. The "shrine business", as she specifically refers to in WAHH. She earns all her money from youkai extermination, which would be fine except for the fact that no one's paying her. She vaguely hopes people will appreciate her protecting them from youkai, and that's the extent of her business model. She doesn't even advertise what she's doing half the time. Kanako, who actually does have a working shrine business model, albeit for faith, thinks that Reimu is simply wasting the faith that she collects along the way. It certainly doesn't go to her god, or to Shinto in general. If she was any good at it Reimu might become a god someday, but she's not.

Anyway, she constantly feels the pinch of PR. A lot of her actions are motivated by "the villagers are nagging me to get rid of X." She's worried about her horrible reputation for being a "youkai-infested" shrine that regularly gets youkai visitors, and she's worried about other shrines and temples moving in on her turf. Because she wants to be the person the human villagers come to for their religious needs (ie: youkai extermination), because she wants money. I've heard it joked that "the hardest part about assigning the Seven Deadly Sins to Touhou characters is not just giving them all the Reimu", but oddly enough she seems to be doing pretty well in Hell's logbooks. Her "simple" desires and honesty and all that make her something something.

As for HM, I doubt she's representing Shinto. One of her victory animations is her slapping a big "No Solicitation" sign on the screen, implying her main goal is to get everyone else to stop. Which is related to her aforementioned self-imposed duty to "protect the village from youkai (and gods and hermits)" along with her desire to get rid of the competition. The three religious factions presumably align with the three big speakers from SoPM: the Shinto god Kanako who wants to expand her market from just the youkai mountain (which doesn't accept human visitors), the Buddhist monk Byakuren (who wants the idea of peacefully coexisting with youkai to be accepted), and the Taoist hermit Miko (who wants... I have no idea since SoPM ended with her conceding to just hang out in peace by herself, like a proper hermit). Reimu and Marisa are the neutral parties trying to get rid of them, and presumably there's going to be a new character as the final boss, who somehow instigated the "incident".

I had intended this to be informative and interesting, but I think I just said the same stuff you guys already said in more words. Anyway, ZUN does a ton of worldbuilding in the side materials, which most people just kinda ignore.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 15, 2013

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Clarste, are you the one that translates the comics? Welcome to SA. I'd like to say, "dang that's a lot of words about girls in silly hats" but I've probably deleted 3 posts about this whole religious war thing myself. While there is more information out there than some people think. Any discussion on this topic is still going to be filled with a lot of personal conjecture.

One thing I will say is that I doubt the motivations for the HM battles are fueled purely by preexisting characters. The only games I can think of that didn't introduce a new character into the mix are StB and GFW. It's something to consider when thinking about how this whole mess is even happening.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, I've been translating WaHH and FS. Apologies for being terrible at it. Just finished a new chapter of WaHH actually. Kasen is probably an oni. Who'd have thought?

And while there's almost certainly going to be a new character triggering the events of HM a la Suika or Tenshi, I don't think that completely negates the other characters' motivations for participating. Even in the main games Reimu and Marisa have consistent motivations for trying to resolve the incident. Unless they're mind controlled or something, I guess.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The obvious answer is the PC-98 character who used crosses in her spell cards to add Christianity to the mix. And completely piss off people for not adding Mima again, of course.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
That is a lot of touhous and motorcycles. I do not think I'll be needing any more of that particular sort of picture for a good year or two now.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Christianity themed touhou, especially for Hopeless Masquerade. I'd like to see ZUN's twist on it and how the other major players react.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The latest askundonge is pretty cool, on a theme that comes up in this thread often.

http://askudonge.tumblr.com/post/47830226919

Yamame the southern belle...

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Yamame does seem to have a bit of a southern drawl in other works too...

http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1396843?pool_id=2420

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Aliginge posted:

More than likely where Ask Udonge got the idea from.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aliginge posted:

Well, in the translation. I never agreed with translating western Japanese dialects into southern American dialects. The cultural analogy just doesn't work out at all.

I thought it was just about her dress, but then I have never read Ganbare Kogasa in translation.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
:spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

Clarste posted:

If she was any good at it Reimu might become a god someday, but she's not.

While I agree with most of what you said, I think this line isn't really telling the whole story. Reimu has both the potential and the means to ascend into divinity, but she decidedly doesn't want to. And to me, that attitude is what defines her entire character; it's not that she doesn't care, she's just completely :effort: about it.

quote:

Anyway, she constantly feels the pinch of PR.

Take this. As lazy as she is, Reimu has gotten a lot of poo poo done over the course of the games. But nobody in the human village knows about her deeds since she doesn't bother to broadcast them, and for the most part she's entirely fine with this. If she really wanted to get worshippers so much, she could have just gone around telling everyone "hey remember that scarlet mist/really long winter/hosed up weather/divine spirit outbreak? I stopped that." after every game. But she didn't, and the reason why I think is similar to how her shrine doesn't sell "Bad Luck" fortunes: Reimu doesn't believe in effort.

The thing about Reimu that makes her so different from Marisa is that she was born with everything she'd ever need. She's kind of a freak of nature if you think about it; all being the Hakurei Shrine Maiden did was give her access to the Yin-Yang Orb and the ability to invoke the gods, and she barely uses either. Meanwhile her ridiculous intuition, her power to float, and all of that other crazy poo poo she can do is all her. It was a thing that Reimu doesn't train because she doesn't need to, and I think any sort of character analysis of her falls flat if you don't acknowledge that aspect of her character. Does she want to be rich and live a comfortable life? Hell yes! But if she isn't already, then there's no point in bothering.

So it's not that Reimu's doing it wrong, unsure of what to do, or conflicted over her duties. To her, what happens happens and there's no point trying to do anything about it. Look at that one chapter of WaHH where Kasen whipped her into shape; she came back to the shrine totally ready to improve her lot in life, then just gave up two hours later. That's just how she is, and like Komachi pointed out that's not a bad thing. Reimu is true to herself and lives the way she wants to, and according to Eiki in PoFV (or maybe that Yukari sidestory, I dunno) that's the ideal life.

tl;dr Reimu's modus operandi is to just head out in a random direction until all the pieces fall into the place. That's not just for incidents, it's for everything.

:spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

quote:

One of her victory animations is her slapping a big "No Solicitation" sign on the screen, implying her main goal is to get everyone else to stop.

I hope when HM's full version is released, Reimu's role in story mode will just be chasing people out of her shrine.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 15, 2013

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

/\/\/\One of many reasons Reimu owns

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, in the translation. I never agreed with translating western Japanese dialects into southern American dialects. The cultural analogy just doesn't work out at all.

I don't know, kinda makes sense to translate linguistic nuances from one language to another in a way that's culturally appropriate and maintains the feel of the character.

E: Although I'll admit I'm not a pro linguist or whatever

Namtab fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 15, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Reimu doesn't believe in effort.

She believes in effort, she's just lazy. There's a joke in WAHH chapter 7 about how she's putting all her effort into the wrong directions, such as get-rich-quick schemes that involve kidnapping gods. And to a certain extent that's pretty much all she ever does in WAHH. When they fail, she laments that her effort isn't being rewarded. And in SSIB she actually trains in how to summon gods, for no reason other than being very bored. As for not advertising her accomplishments, I think this might be a matter of timing. It's only recently that she's started caring about her reputation, and telling people that you did something cool almost 10 years ago doesn't sound very credible. Nowadays she's doing things like following the whims of the village.

In general, her lack of effort is more a matter of being lazy than any philosophical position. Although surely you can attribute that to her talent, if you like. She never learned how to properly try.

Namtab posted:

/\/\/\One of many reasons Reimu owns

I don't know, kinda makes sense to translate linguistic nuances from one language to another in a way that's culturally appropriate and maintains the feel of the character.

E: Although I'll admit I'm not a pro linguist or whatever

All I know is that it's hard to resist the urge to make Marisa talk like a cowboy.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 16, 2013

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought it was just about her dress, but then I have never read Ganbare Kogasa in translation.
If I remember correctly, the real-life person being inserted as Yamame is from Osaka and has a heavy accent. The translater just did the standard Osaka->Louisiana adjustment.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

If I remember correctly, the real-life person being inserted as Yamame is from Osaka and has a heavy accent. The translater just did the standard Osaka->Louisiana adjustment.

For once I'd like to see an Osakan accent translated in english as a heavy Chicagoan accent in english :sigh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't think Osaka Japanese even comes close to matching with anything in America, sociologically or historically. America overall is just too different from Japan in that area.

Now, if you investigated BRITISH accents, you could find one that kinda sorta matched I bet. But no one ever does that in anime translations...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 16, 2013

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

BlitzBlast posted:

It was a thing that Reimu doesn't train because she doesn't need to,
She did train for what she needed. It takes her like 4-5 pc-98 games before she figure out how to fly and stopped riding on Genji's back. What she gifted at is mastering stuff really quickly so she can become really powerful at whatever she bother to train at.

And also this:

Touhou Wiki posted:

Although Reimu has successfully resolved the incidents in each major Touhou game, it's possible that her win rate throughout the actual events of the games was not 100%. Perfect Memento in Strict Sense states that Reimu likes to request rematches until she finally wins. In essence, Reimu apparently has had to use a few continues every once in a while, but she still manages to get a good ending.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 16, 2013

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think Osaka Japanese even comes close to matching with anything in America, sociologically or historically. America overall is just too different from Japan in that area.

Now, if you investigated BRITISH accents, you could find one that kinda sorta matched I think.

The Excel Saga manga translation localized the one character who "spoke" (his dialog appeared as floating text rather than speech bubbles/actually talking) in an Osaka Okayama accent as a North England/Geordie accent. The anime, having been localized by the Texas-based ADV, gave him a Texan accent, though.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There's a new Bomber Grape comic here, has it been translated yet? Frankly I'm really confused, something about Tenshi really getting after Iku about whether she is looking for a husband, does it link into some previous conversation they had in his comics?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's a new Bomber Grape comic here, has it been translated yet? Frankly I'm really confused, something about Tenshi really getting after Iku about whether she is looking for a husband, does it link into some previous conversation they had in his comics?

Other than this new series (which isn't actually translated yet), there's not much by him with the two posted on danbooru. A sample from a doujinshi ...and that ashtray strip. :getin:

(Looking at the difference between that particular strip and this new series, his art's gotten a lot better)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well in this one, Tenshi is like "Are you looking to get married?" and Iku is like "No!...well, I mean, a little bit" and then Tenshi is like "What, has your pride gotten in the way? You can't admit that you want to meet someone? You can't admit that you don't want to be alone?" and after a while she starts crying and Tenshi says she was just joking and apologizes.

It almost seems like something that might be coming from Bomber Grape's personal life. It wouldn't be the first time his comics had kinda seemed like that, but only a tiny bit at the end starring Kaguya.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Not sure if it's directly related, but there's a little bit in one of the SoPM newspaper articles about how other heavenly maidens are finding husbands by dropping their veils on Earth (a reference to an old fairy tale), and Iku gets interviewed about it and she's pretty critical of the practice.

So... uh... I guess the characters chosen to act out this little drama aren't completely random?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I'm surprised Komachi (the girl who always gets slapped with a redneck accent) isn't on that list.

Wait, no. Too easy.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

JackMackerel posted:

I'm surprised Komachi (the girl who always gets slapped with a redneck accent) isn't on that list.

Wait, no. Too easy.
Wait, really? I've rarely come across fan stuff that has Komachi do more than sleep on the job.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Goddammit. I come back to Touhou after like 2-3 months and I can't 1CC Imperishable Night on Normal anymore. Got any tips, reminders, and refreshers for me, please?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Artificer posted:

Goddammit. I come back to Touhou after like 2-3 months and I can't 1CC Imperishable Night on Normal anymore. Got any tips, reminders, and refreshers for me, please?

I dunno, are there any particular sections giving you trouble? Other than basic stuff like being able to auto-collect by focusing at the top of the screen and preserving the million bombs you get in stages 3 and 4 for the stage 4 boss, I can't really think of any general advice.

Also, Border Team is the best, don't bother with the other poser teams.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

I dunno, are there any particular sections giving you trouble? Other than basic stuff like being able to auto-collect by focusing at the top of the screen and preserving the million bombs you get in stages 3 and 4 for the stage 4 boss, I can't really think of any general advice.

Also, Border Team is the best, don't bother with the other poser teams.

Marisa just loving shreds me, yeah. And I keep Last Bombing instead of normal bombing like a loser because I don't know when I'll be hit before I get hit. :negative:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Samurai Sanders posted:

Now, if you investigated BRITISH accents, you could find one that kinda sorta matched I bet. But no one ever does that in anime translations...
British Touhous :stare:

Now Reimu, wearing red, white and being poor as poo poo would clearly have to come from Liverpool, support Liverpool FC, Sing You'll Never Walk Alone all the time (Justice for Hillsbrough) and have an awful scouse accent. Marisa would be a classy geordie-speakan Newcastle lass, like (Black White like the football team). Yukari, Ran and Chen are clearly Bullingdon club Tory politicans currently running government, Suika is a tracksuited white-lighting-chugging chav, Yuugi is Yorkshire-born-and-bred goddess of the saturday night pissup/fight dahn t'pub while Yuuka is a down to earf Landan lass straight out of an episode of Eastenders who'll knock yer fookin teef aaht if you say anyfink abaat ma Wriggle.

Oh and Aya is both a page 3 photographer, tabloid writer for the Sun and Diana conspiracy theorist, while Okuu is the entire Trident Nuclear defence system

:britain:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 16, 2013

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Artificer posted:

Marisa just loving shreds me, yeah. And I keep Last Bombing instead of normal bombing like a loser because I don't know when I'll be hit before I get hit. :negative:

Yeah, Marisa is pretty loving tricky no matter how you slice it. It helps to remember that her star bullets have comparatively small hitboxes, so you can squeeze through some gaps that seem fatal, especially as the Border Team.

Do you have maybe have any replays of your stage 4 runs? Maybe I can give some more specific advice if I see your playing, I dunno.

Edit: Well I dunno how much help watching other replays is, but just in case I threw a replay of stage 4B together. Maybe you'll see a maneuver or whatever that'll help you out.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo. Thanks.