Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Clarste, are you the one that translates the comics? Welcome to SA. I'd like to say, "dang that's a lot of words about girls in silly hats" but I've probably deleted 3 posts about this whole religious war thing myself. While there is more information out there than some people think. Any discussion on this topic is still going to be filled with a lot of personal conjecture.

One thing I will say is that I doubt the motivations for the HM battles are fueled purely by preexisting characters. The only games I can think of that didn't introduce a new character into the mix are StB and GFW. It's something to consider when thinking about how this whole mess is even happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

BlitzBlast posted:

The secret to TD is to activate Trance every time there's two or more pink/green spirits on the screen.

(The secret to UFO is to plot out what UFOs you want.)
The secret to TD is to pick Youmu who's shot type is practically a bomb and her actual bomb is the best in the game.

Trihugger fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 29, 2013

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Not Dave posted:

Compound that with comments about wrestling and you've probably hit the stupid internet comment jackpot.

Part of the spectacle of wrestling is the crowd being loud and stupid. I read some of the comments just to get some of that genuine effect. But if you don't really have the stomach for it, the comic by itself is still great.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Decoy Badger posted:

Reimu's arms go down to her calves :stare:

Any speculation if there be any integration plot-wise with the new fighting game? Does ZUN write the plots for both? Since one is entrenched firmly in the religion arc while the other is a step away from it, I'm wondering if he will try to limit the total number of new characters.

None of the other games ever tied in with the fighting games. Touhou 14 probably doesn't have anything to do with 13.5. If I recall correctly, MoF and SWR came out around the same time as each other and that didn't stop MoF from having 7 new characters and only 1 reoccurring.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Pureauthor posted:

Look, you can't let yourself be held back by common sense (or facts) in Gensokyo.

Maybe I'm just a little miffed about Sanae not being in the new game. She went from one of my least liked characters from MoF to one of my favorites in UFO and TD. So common sense be damned.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Captain Invictus posted:

Finally got around to reading this. Only Karaagetarou could pull something off as absurd as a Nitori x Chewbacca pairing. Cute and actually pretty god drat hilarious at the same time.

http://danbooru.donmai.us/pools/6400 :nws: ads per usual

I decided to read some old karaagetarou after this and what do you know? Nitori has been living there for quite a while.

http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/785353

And something extra that's slightly unrelated, but still awesome.

http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/839056

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
So running the moonspeak through google translator makes it sound like the formerly hatless heroine's unique feature is that she first has to 'load' her special moves much like loading bullets into a gun. She has limited use but subsequently more powerful special moves than normal characters. Seems to fit well and sounds pretty badass.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
The extra little touches to the costumes are really neat. Totally getting a Nobunaga Oda vibe from Miko.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
My childhood is falling into the land of fantasy. To be fair, the Super Scope has been dead for decades so it's not a big surprise it landed in Gensokyo. Did anyone else play the hell out of this insane Nintendo peripheral or were most of you actually sane during childhood? Battle Clash and Metal Combat were eye-bleedingly good. And by that I mean that your eyes would start bleeding if you played with this thing for too long.

A couple images of Nitori rocking a Super Scope have shown up on Pixiv. Not too many though.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Time for lunch with some touhous.

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=35878719

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
So does that boss live in the lake near SDM?

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

I'm not gonna bother looking up a specific example, but western media is just as guilty as anime. And screw the haters, I'm still using Byakuren first because her unique trait is still badass.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Is anyone else having problems getting these patches to work? I keep all of my Touhou stuff in its own folder, but the patch still tried to mess around in Program Files. That led to my computer freezing up and the patch not working. Similarly, the 1.01 patch never even asked where the game was located so it didn't do anything. It's not a big deal because I haven't had any problems with the unpatched version of the game, but I was wondering if anyone that didn't place the game in the default directory has had any success with the patches.

KataraniSword posted:

And I can't seem to play DDC in a window. Like, at all. It loads up fine in full-screen mode (which is problematic given that I'm on a laptop), but any time I try for windowed it freezes on the loading screen. :sigh:

Anyone else had/having this problem?

When you unzip the game, it comes in a folder "th14(bunch of Japanese)." If you haven't, you need to delete all the Japanese characters in the folder name. Other than that, I don't know what other issues are causing the game to crash.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

a cartoon duck posted:

I actually genuinely like the Watatsuki sisters, but yeah, the pacing of SSiB was utter poo poo, and it hit glacial levels once it got to the actual fighting parts. The whole spellcard stuff only really hurt it, it just doesn't make as much sense outside of game design.

There's a reason every other ZUN manga afterwards has a more episodic format, and is a lot more comedic rather than working towards fight scenes. ZUN's been working to his strengths when in SSiB he had no clue what he was doing, I felt.

Spellcard battles can still be awesome in comic book format. Someone mentioned kemonomichi earlier and there's a good example of a well done spellcard battle in Element 8 that stays pretty true to how they work in game.

But regardless of how awkward they are to implement in comics, simply having good action scenes would more than make up for it. When I read SSiB the first time, I knew very little about Touhou. So having no character attachments, I found the Yorihime fights very underwhelming. While the story, setup and all the unusual pieces coming together was "interesting," overall SSiB has a number of problems to it that I wouldn't call it "good." I still enjoyed it and re-read it a couple years later after knowing more about the characters. It's definitely not a comic I would expect everyone to enjoy.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
I find it more impressive that Kokoro took 14th with only 9.23% of her votes being first place. A ton of people must have voted for her with one of their other votes.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
I'm still hoping someone eventually does a rock or rock ballad version of Eternal Steam Engine. I've asked a couple people that listen to way more Touhou remixes than I do and they told me it doesn't exist.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
No more Nitori combos for days. That's a lot of nerfs. Though it looks like some of her moves have increased damage, but also increased spirit cost. That might make her neutral game stronger, but I wonder how good Nitori will be now that she no longer makes you think, "Oh god, if she touches me there goes half my health" at any time from anywhere on the screen.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Renko and Maribel visit Gensokyo-like places. But there's really only one that has an abundance of drunk girls in silly hats.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Devour or Fire posted:

They changed her Y bullets to not be a worthless blue fart cloud and if you do 6Y with a mask set you shoot it as a low range projectile that gives your opponent some sort of status effect even if they block it.

I was about to comment that status effect on block seems really powerful, but then I remembered that this was a Touhou fighting game and you should always graze that poo poo or eat it in the face trying!

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Speaking of art, I wonder if ZUN's comics will have Reimu with short hair like she has in this game from now on. She had super long hair in HM. Just a little attention to detail that doesn't really matter, but it's kind of nice to have.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Also, in the end Reimu actually locks Shinmyoumaru up, takes her hammer and does not have tea with her.

I wonder if there is any art of Shinmyoumaru waving a "Don't Tread On Me" flag around. Probably too esoteric for Japan, but maybe an American artist has done something.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Hokuto posted:

What's the difference?

To answer this more directly, in Silent Sinner in Blue the leaders of the Moon's defensive forces, the Watatsuki sisters, decided to take in a new pet rabbit to replace the one that ran away. Just to be confusing, they gave her the same name. The reason Reisen #2 didn't have a name previously is because moon rabbits don't have names. Just like normal Earth rabbits don't have names. It's also the reason Reisen #1 has three names. None of them are her surname. All three are her given names simply given to her by different people.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Have some cross posting from the Fighting Game Thread. Because U.N. Owen isn't popular enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qcjCnkbROY

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

BlitzBlast posted:

Youmu's charge slash was crazy powerful, what are you talking about? Maybe you're thinking of TD Marisa, who is pretty much the worst as far as "is my focus shot actually doing more damage" goes.

Youmu's focus attack did tons of burst damage. For anything that didn't die in one slash and you and hit with all your bullets, Youmu's unfocus attack did more damage. Of course, for a lot of boss fights it isn't feasible to pull off.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
My guide to Hopeless Masquarade:
Pick Marisa
Shoot lasers
Hit them with your butt if they get close
Shoot more lasers

She's probably the easiest character to pick up in the game.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Clarste posted:

This is a world where youkai attend Buddhist sutra readings for the adrenaline rush of getting almost-exorcised.

And use those same sutras to make a kick-rear end punk rock band.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

PrinnySquadron posted:

Mokou being kicks-only is reminding me of another fighting game character and its bothering me because I can't remember who.

Hotaru from Garou:Mark of the Wolf seems to have some similar moves. Except with water instead of fire. Similar pants too.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

KataraniSword posted:

I thought that "Apollo never went to the Moon" thing was entirely the reason that SSiB could even happen. Hasn't it already been in Gensokyo for like... years by now?

At the time, the myth wasn't powered by psychic moon magic dragonballs.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Yorihime doesn't really "get" danmaku. She ends the fight with Reimu using the threat of mutually assured destruction. Kind of defeats the point of a victimless fight. Though Reimu was a huge cheating rear end in a top hat that was playing up the villain role a bit too well.

I agree that no danmaku fights in the comics is preferable to the half-assed ones in SSiB.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Tewi also co-stared in a 4-koma comic series with Reisen so it isn't like her popularity is that unexpected.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Volt Catfish posted:

I should give up my desire to always play as Reimu in these games. Apparently Sanae is the best in LoLK and Marisa's the best in DDC?

For DDC I think it was close between Sakuya A and Marisa B being the best shot types. Marisa is about exploiting the bomb and life gain system to the max and really long bomb invincibility. Sakuya pretty much outclasses Reimu in every way. Homing and high focus damage while focused and a wide spread shot while unfocused. Her knife explosions bug out the game a bit and slow down boss movement. And her bomb is a lot like Reisen except only 1 extra life for a few seconds. But if you don't actually get hit in those few seconds you get 3 bomb pieces back.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Pureauthor posted:

It could be interesting in seeing someone who's a newcomer working to improve her power-base and web of influence vs the old guard who literally administers the entire setting (... mostly by proxy, of course) but people aren't picking up much on there.

What I'm reading here is an endorsement for Clownpiece 2016.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
It's a smoke trail from the torch.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Isn't the pre-game setup for SA done primarily from Patchouli's perspective as she tries to get Marisa to do poo poo? How does it not make sense for her to be there?

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
There isn't a Touhou comic that meanders with no direction moreso than the 3 fairies comics. If that isn't a big issue, the meandering of WaHH shouldn't be either. It'll just come down to whether you like the stories or characters enough to keep you interested.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
I always thought the comparison was because computers are highly advanced tools that you do all your work with and are capable of a wide variety of things, but are devoid of free will. All of that describes the ideal shikigami so when you describe a computer to a magic society devoid of technology, that's what they think of.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Might as well read Inaba Inaba too since it is also a complimentary series.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Isn't that suppose to be the earthquake causing catfish? He's probably chilling underground with a rock that some rear end in a top hat angel put on top of him.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Yukari has already built a barrier and is making the humans pay for it. She's already out-Trump'd Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
I'm not sure if there are necessarily 10 desires in most forms of Buddhism, but since Miko doesn't actually believe in Buddhism, maybe she considers "enlightenment" just another human desire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_spiritual_realms