Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

SirPhoebos posted:

Huh? No, so far the LPs have included the endings.

That's sort of the denouement of any LP. I wouldn't think of any reason why the ending would be excluded except if the poster had a stroke right before the last update.

There's a semi-formal rule among the Japanese Touhou fanbase: post as much gameplay footage as you like, but never post or seek out footage of the endings. So for anyone who knows an ending, you know they earned that poo poo. Or something. This was the reason for all the jokey censored ending footage in the last thread. Someone shout at me if I'm misrepresenting poo poo.

In the meanwhile I really wish Zun's visit to the USA would bring him anywhere even sort of close to where I lived rather than way off in Atlanta. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Zandracon posted:

Looks like the bonus chapter for vol 1 of forbidden scrollery was translated. Byakuren is p good at playing a shamisen.

It is now literally canon that Byakuren once rocked so hard it killed a man youkai.

:black101:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

ElMaligno posted:

Symposium of Post-mysticism is an official book where Marisa moderates debates between the big four (Reimu, Kanako, Byakuren and Miko) with Akyuu recording the conversations. Its actually quite interestin and funny!

Even then, "Touhou Religious Debate" starts to look like this:

SoPM Chapter 1 posted:

Kanako: Oh, proselytizing now, are we? Don't think I'll take that lying down. Switch now and I'll throw in excellent luck on all your fortunes for two months.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's a new Bomber Grape comic here, has it been translated yet? Frankly I'm really confused, something about Tenshi really getting after Iku about whether she is looking for a husband, does it link into some previous conversation they had in his comics?

Other than this new series (which isn't actually translated yet), there's not much by him with the two posted on danbooru. A sample from a doujinshi ...and that ashtray strip. :getin:

(Looking at the difference between that particular strip and this new series, his art's gotten a lot better)

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Clarste posted:

Even if we have no idea how old Reimu and Marisa are (hey, they could be in their 20's, who knows?)

:eng101: Aya's articles in the side books are actually dated (archiacally, but convertable to modern gregorian dates) and sometimes refer to the relative chronology of the games (e.g. "the Red Mist Incident last month"). Thus, there's been enough information to establish a concrete timeline.

EoSD canonically took place a decade ago, so unless you're imagining that Reimu and Marisa were 9 years old back then, they actually have to be in their 20s by now.

edit: link typo :doh:

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 30, 2013

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
It's always a weird feeling to see what ZUN-art looks like nowadays.

And what it looks like nowadays is :buddy:

No super-noticeable anatomy mistakes though! He is learning.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Captain Invictus posted:

Finally got around to reading this. Only Karaagetarou could pull something off as absurd as a Nitori x Chewbacca pairing. Cute and actually pretty god drat hilarious at the same time.

http://danbooru.donmai.us/pools/6400 :nws: ads per usual

I literally can't believe that this was played perfectly straight and actually manged to... work. Even if it is Karaagetarou.

Chewie having to leave Gensokyo to go film Episode 7 :cry:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

BlitzBlast posted:

Assuming the "background characters will not be playable" theory holds true,

don't get your hopes up.

Hey, it's those three Kimono girls from the Human Village stage again. Are they... recurring characters? because they aren't frilly enough to be proper Touhous

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Was alphes always this terrible at art and I just never noticed, or is this a new thing with Hopeless Masquerade? Because seriously. Ichirin's probably been hit with it the worst:

Girl got some stumpy-rear end limbs.

e: didn't realize how big that pic was.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 19, 2013

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

DrSunshine posted:

So it seems that although she herself cannot travel back into the past to change it, she can summon stuff from the past and the future into the present? Instead of you going to the past, you bring the past to you? What if she tried summoning herself?

When she can't decide what to make for dinner she fights herself and the Sakuya that wins determines what she makes. True canon facts yo.

yoinked from tumblr

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

HGH posted:

Nah, that's not what happened. IIRC, ZUN planned the final boss to be Myouren, then he went "Wait a second, an old man final boss? That's not right at all! I'll just make up a sister for him." and that's how we got Byakuren.

The real-life Myouren was said to have a sister, ZUN just added pretty much every other detail to make Byakuren.

I guess he got over his aversion to having a historical old man as the final boss by Ten Desires because by then he realized he could just turn them into a young woman with no explanation and people wouldn't really question it.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Captain Invictus posted:

Please look at her left arm. Please notice that there is no arm, her hand is essentially attached directly to her shoulder.

And Reimu's little floppy T-Rex hand.

ZUN's art is still ZUNtastic.

At first glance you have to assume that he was trying for perspective- her arm pointing out towards the screen and to the viewer's right.

He just... didn't accomplish that because he's ZUN.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Devour or Fire posted:

Isn't this the guy who depicts Murasa as a rapist.

This isn't true at all?

Littleshrimp isn't a dude either and I have no idea how this thread got so confused about that.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Oh check it out it's a Drowzee.

Could her name also be Romanized as Sweet Dreamy?

I've seen Dreamy catching on cuz, hey, that's her theme, but I like Doremy/Doremi cuz it's like the musical notes. :shobon:

TURBO GRANNY :hellyeah:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
The new girls are kind of incredible:

:patriot:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
stars n stripes 4eva

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

FractalSandwich posted:

Question for the backstory aficionados out there: what does it mean that Ran has Yukari's surname? I don't think they're supposed to be married, so does it imply that Yukari adopted Ran as her daughter? Or is it something else? Or nothing at all?

Ran's PMiSS profile says "Ran Yakumo" is Yukari's name for her and her real name is unknown.

And Yukari basically treats her as a (voluntary?) slave (and weirdly, like a robot/computer, which I've never really seen leak through into any fanworks). In any case, I always get the impression that in canon they don't see each other as equals or as "family" like fanworks tend to portray them (or if this portrayal has a more canon basis, I can't think of where).

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Clarste posted:

Oh, and just for the record these are ZUN's comments from the character introduction section (which has many of the same characters):

I always wondered if the first three stages being slightly misleading when presented in demo form is something ZUN was going for on purpose, so it's good to know it is.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFcg8QRNyMg

close-ups of zun's figure shelves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
It took me a moment to recognize the name and then I realized it was the author of The Yukari Larva. Whoa.

Probably one of the best authors of Touhou doujins out there, but definitely way more in the "weird/irreverant" territory compared with other artists Zun's worked with.