Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Any tradgames people here who've ever run a Touhou tabletop campaign? I'm toying with the idea of running one myself, for a group of mostly newcomers to the franchise.

I tend to prefer more of games like FATE and Dungeon World, not so much the extremely crunchy games of Pathfinder and D&D. I checked out the redone Danmaku Yuugi Flowers ruleset and I'm not a fan of the spell card customization options being mostly attacks, bonuses and penalties (too much focus on crunch rather than creativity). I like Tale of Phantasmal Land's spell card construction system and character options, but combat there appears to have a lot of unnecessary rolls and the system surrounding it seems very dense and difficult for my ruleset-reading-phobic players to go for.

Anybody have experiences that worked for Touhou with those systems or others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Hokuto posted:

Clearly the only way to run a Touhou campaign is a series of one-shots expressed through the purest of mediums, the Danmaku!! card game.

Thanks, I'd actually never heard of this. It looks great, I'll have to give it a try with my group sometime.

FractalSandwich posted:

I've never even played in a Touhou tabletop campaign, much less run one, but I know a guy who's done a fair bit of play-by-post roleplaying, and did run a Touhou campaign at one point. I asked him about this, and he produced a 1,000-word essay on the topic in a matter of minutes. To summarise: if the Touhou-specific systems don't seem like what you're looking for, he strongly recommends adapting a more general-purpose one. He ran his campaign by hacking a very obscure near-freeform system called "The Window", though in hindsight he wouldn't necessarily recommend that system in particular.

More speculatively, he says he's never used FATE for a Touhou campaign in particular, but thinks it might be a good fit, especially if you're interested in the "collaborative storytelling" angle, and you're looking to keep it at a fairly low power level. If the "superpowered martial arts movie" angle is what you're after, he thinks a modified version of D&D 4E might still be your best bet, if it's not too rulesy for you.

If you do want an extremely high power level, he says you might want to look at adapting Nobilis, which he's never played personally, but he's apparently heard several people say that it's perfect for Touhou.

What I want to attempt is a campaign that pretty much follows the games' structure: incident resolution with danmaku battles as a team. Low power level is indeed the aim, at least to start, so I'll have a look at the 4E revamp and Savage Worlds as well, and see if I can adapt FATE for the purpose if those don't work. Thanks all.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

I'm actually running a Touhou game right now (in Valor). I haven't looked at Danmaku Yuugi Flowers, but something with a bit of tactical crunch can make the fights feel like actual spell card fights - my primary inspiration source is the Fantasy Maiden Wars games. I've been stretching the rules to give bosses multiple lifebars and special spell card effects and poo poo, like they just fought an oni boss whose second phase had an effect where any time she hit someone within 3 spaces of her, they automatically got knocked prone, and another boss had a phase where she spawned extra minions every time she damaged people.

Ultimately, I think that having a good selection of weird shitlords is more important than the mechanical feel, since Touhou's atmosphere extends into things like the manga spinoffs where it's more investigation-based and the fights are kind of an afterthought. For my game I ended up tossing out everything but the fundamental concepts of the setting and making up my own cast of OCs to populate the game.

Bonus: Find a bunch of touhou-alike songs on youtube and use them for bosses. The keyword is 東方風自作曲.

Great! Yes, I do agree that I want a system capable of satisfying but not overwhelming combat alongside investigation and roleplaying. I'll give Valor a look, the anecdotes and text logs from that thread are definitely encouraging. Build-your-own-x systems like it are a major plus, seeing as I want to give the players the choice of whatever weird youkai species and abilities they want, not to mention the option of creating their own spellcards.

I had no idea this side of Youtube existed, either--this will be a great source of inspiration and fight music. Thanks a ton!

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Additionally, thanks for all your recommendations for touhou literature and games, everyone! There is a TON of things. Now I only have one more question/recommendation request: Taking into account the massive amount of doujin music touhou has inspired, is there any good Touhou Metal?

Sonic Hybrid Orchestra/Sonic Hispeed Omega

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT-iPx-9B88

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

All of the above are legit btw