Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I saw people posting IN replays, so I thought it'd be a nice break from SA kicking my rear end. Have a 1CC Normal run here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Artificer posted:

Successfully 1cced Imperishable Night on Normal, FinalB, with Reimu and Yukari.

Ended up with zero bombs, zero lives. Despite getting close, I died like a little wimp on every single one of Kaguya's Last Cards. ....that still counts, right? I got Good Ending #1 and everything. :ohdear:

That reminds me of my second 1CC of MoF. Lemme see if I can find that replay.

fake edit: Here it is. That was such a terrible stage 6.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Artificer posted:

As if paying attention to where all the bullets are weren't hard enough already. :(

What are you talking about. I can easily pay attention to bullets. Especially right as I run into them.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Artificer posted:

Thanks for the tip. Not sure about the death bombs though. I learned to bomb before I die because then it's like 2 bombs for the price of 1!

Something I still need to remember is that bombs aren't just for when you're about to be screwed over. You can use them to do damage.

I've been banging my head against SA for what feels like far too long, while only managing to make it to stage 6 twice. I think I'll try TD, since UFO's gimmick is completely worthless to me.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

BlitzBlast posted:

(The secret to UFO is to plot out what UFOs you want.)

That's something of a problem when I can only reliably identify 1/3 UFO colours.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm happy I'll be able to play as Sakuya too. I usually switched between her and Reimu in PCB, and I actually enjoyed using her in IN. I've never really paid attention to the fandom beyond the games, though, so I'm not really following this Lunarian talk. When I hear Lunarian, all I think of is FuSoYa from FFIV.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

ProfessorProf posted:

The unlock conditions vary from game to game, but generally Extra is best tackled after you can clear Normal without continuing. There are probably exceptions, but I only have experience with a few of the EX stages.

I was planning on trying them when I had a good handle on hard for the different games. Maybe I should try the extra stages instead. I'll probably have more fun with it than trying to make my way through SA normal anyway.

Not that anyone's asking, but I've managed to 1CC PCB, IN, and MOF.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

SirSlarty posted:

That's a parody of this:

I'm disappointed there's no engineer on that. The engineer thinks the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Stage 3 has a lot of the best Touhous. Meiling, Alice, Yuugi, Yoshika, and Unzan.

You forgot Nitori :livintrope:
It feels good to get that out of my system.

dranxis posted:

I know Needle Reimu is the more popular choice, but I don't seem to do well with her in either EoSD or PCB. I'll have to give her another try. I had been relying on homing bullets for the parts of the stage where fairies drop onto opposite sides of the screen to attack. I hadn't thought to just stream all those bullets aimed at me. I'm playing Touhou again for the first time in a while, so sometimes I forget to try basic things. :downs:
In that part, I just stick to one side, and stream the bullets vertically. I have trouble with the red bullets near the end, but it's much easier than trying to control both sides of the screen.

I need to play more games, but midterms :(

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I just found this incredibly awesome video of a 3D danmaku battle between Yuyuko and Reimu and I don't think its been posted yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Zwrx9a9Lo

The creator also made videos of Marisa vs Flandre and Reimu vs Remilia which are just as good.

I think I've seen the Marisa vs Flandre one but I can appreciate this one so much more since I can actually recognize the patterns. I just don't enjoy EoSD as much as the others.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've managed to 1CC 3 games on normal. PCB, IN, and MOF. I've beaten PCB on hard, and EoSD on normal.

I don't know if I've made it more than one spellcard in to any of the extra fights.

I need to remember that bombs can be used offensively. I always forget that, and end up dying because I can't deathbomb (except in IN).

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
25/52

I would do better if I knew more names. For a bunch of them, I could tell you which stage of which game the theme was from, but somehow that didn't count.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Figured this is the best place to ask this.

I wanna get into other shooters, just to see how well I do at them after being with Touhou for so long. Where do I start? I started Mars Matrix the other day and I'm already getting the hang of it, but I dunno where to go from there.

What's the popular opinion on Cave shooters?

There's actually a shmup thread in games, but I believe Cave shooters are well regarded, especially DoDonPachi.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've been using this as my lock screen pic on my phone.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Aliginge posted:

I am after one of the small, short 2-head high chibi figure things - maybe a Cirno or Satori, whatever brand they are called. I have approx one afternoon left to check out Akihabara after I get back from Kyoto in five days.

I don't have any suggestions to help search, but you're looking for nendoroids.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I always found IN to be pretty easy on account of the giant death bomb window. It took me a while to 1cc it, but I found it much more manageable than SA or EoSD.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Clarste posted:

Problem is that deathbombing in IN uses up two bombs, so it's really a penalty. IN should train you to bomb well before you die.

When the difference is using two bombs, or dying, the larger window helps. Did I mention that I'm pretty terrible with bombs?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

cuc posted:

Finally, time to shill out like there's no tommorow!

If you want to read a big 10000 word interview with ZUN in English, you can buy this ebook bundle, containing a whole lot of words written on video games. The interview with ZUN is in the book "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers", which is a book of super in-depth interviews with Japanese developers not so well-known in the West (a sample of said interview).

Also, because I personally want to see Volume 2 and 3 of the book come out, I hope you can support the author, and consider buying a physical or Kindle copy.

Disclosure:
I helped the author get the permission to use this piece of fanart in the book.

That sounds really cool. I recognize three names in the list: ZUN, Ryukushi07, and Keiji Inafune.

Someone should fix up the html on the Canadian page though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
That reminds me, I need to buy DDC at some point.