Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I think the more important question is which Touhou would be the annoying atheist who goes around and snidely remarks on all of the religions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Aliginge posted:

Yamame does seem to have a bit of a southern drawl in other works too...

http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1396843?pool_id=2420

More than likely where Ask Udonge got the idea from.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Apparently Yukari gaps in humans she thinks are interesting. All you guys must just be boring as gently caress.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Re: American Touhou

Ammat The Ankh posted:

"Touhou" means "Eastern," correct? Someone should make "Western," a game set in Southwest of the United States.

Uh oh, it's an incident! It looks like the wily Sister Coyote has stolen the moon. It's up to sheriff Riley Hathaway and outlaw Maria Corazones to save the day!

In other news, Onikobe Rin reveals what the Akis do during the other three seasons:

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=35331290

Also ~Setz-sama~ posted a new comic that DrSunshine might like. (standard Danbooru :nws: warning)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Looking at the screenshot of the mystery boss, I was thinking a hijab. It's about time we had an Islamic Touhou character. I'm sure Zun would appreciate their headgear.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Hedera Helix posted:

Even though Shikieki should be a playable character. :colbert:

She is, in PoFV.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Karaagetarou's Nitori is by far the best Nitori. (Danbooru)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Zun felt something was wrong with Byakuren, but was too drunk to figure it out. It came to him in the middle of the night, jolting him out of his stupor. A hat! He had forgotten to give his Touhou a hat! He raced over to his telephone, and hastily called Alphes. Alphes was working on the art for Touhou 13.5, and Zun knew that he would be able to correct this horrendous mistake. After a few sharp words to the confused illustrator Zun hung up the phone, confidant all would become right in Gensokyo. And so, some weeks later, Alphes sent Hopeless Masquerade's finished sprite sheet to be looked over by his boss. A smile formed on Zun's face as he took a large swig of Kirin.There, perched atop Byakuren's head, was the largest hat in all of Gensokyo.

(Also why haven't we gotten any of the Daoist crew? I want to play as Soga.)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Assuming the "background characters will not be playable" theory holds true,

don't get your hopes up.

Dang, it would've been cool to play as Kyouko and use soundwaves to knock down opponents.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I think the more important question is which Touhou would be the annoying atheist who goes around and snidely remarks on all of the religions?

Well, I guess we finally got an answer. The Kappa function as Gensokyo's stereotypical internet atheists. Also explains why they all wear the same hat, fedoras must be hard to find in Gensokyo.

So we've got all the religions pretty well covered, but you know what this roster is still missing? The Devil.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Alice hasn't shown up yet. Obviously that means she's going to show up in the background of a Makai level, because Shinki will be a playable character. Also while we're at it, Rin Satsuki will be there too. Also Zun will show up at my doorstep and give me a free copy of Hopeless Masqurade and the full version of Double Dealing character.

Since we got mad at being spammed with every individual Finnish 4Koma, they haven't been posted at all. I know a lot of you liked them, so here a are few of the most recent ones in a single package (standard Danbooru warning):

Drunk Onis
Koakuma
Sakuya returns as a playable character
Miko's new cape

And for the rest of you, have something I found:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Artificer posted:

Why is she riding an ATV? What does she have to connect her with bikes?

It's based off one of Ichirin's sprites from Hopeless Masquerade (Danbooru link).

Dinky Duck Race posted:

It's probably from the 2chan Touhou board's undying megathread dedicated to making lovely photoshops with the hopes that something goes memetic.

Well I thought it was funny. :colbert:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Not much happening on Pixiv recently, now that all the Hopeless Masqurade characters have been revealed. Everyone's just posting samples of doujin to be released at Reitaisai. Everyone, except those in Finland.

We're on a mission from Byakuren.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Clarste posted:

I would argue that "hinted" is different from "confirmed", but okay, she was reconfirmed.

I thought Tasofro said that they had revealed all the characters that were returning from previous games. Why didn't they reveal Mamizou alongside the others, then? (Not that I doubt you, it just seems weird to not reveal Mamizou early when she was expected from the beginning).

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Looking sort of wideface there.

The :downs: is how you know it's Real Zun Art.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Okay so the names of the new Touhous are:

Stage 1: CIRNO also Wakasagihime

Stage 2: Sekibanki

Stage 3: Imaizumi Kagerou

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

All the Double Dealing Characters shown so far have been based off Western Mythology. This means Rin Satsuki will be making an appearance because

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

That's a pretty loving skintight shirt if it's going into her cleavage like that, then. I think you're in denial.

Animes have shirts that completely wrap around the breasts. How it works I do not know.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

There's nothing in Sakuya's DDC profile suggesting she's Lunarian, at least according to Touhouwiki's translation.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

The Daoists own. One is a spaced out zombie, one is an audaciously evil hermit, one is a supervillian-esque egomaniac (now with a cape to match), one has ghost legs, and one is Futo.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Don't forget that Futo may or may not be the mother of Tojiko (or at least the person Futo was based on was the mother of the person Tojiko was based on, who in turn was the wife of the dude Miko was based on).

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

It's not often that I wonder if ZUN can surpass the level of drunken insanity that is Imperishable Night. Now that I'm actually sitting down and thinking about the TD crew, however... :magical:

Oh man, that's nothing. Since the Daoists are based on real-life people, you can bring in all sorts of Historical drama, half of which is legendary anyway (since it happened so far in the past). For instance, did you know the real-life Futo was "Futsuhime" of the Mononobe clan, who was married to Soga no Umako despite the rivalry between the Mononobe Clan and the Soga Clan? Futsuhime was the younger sister of the Mononobe's leader Mononobe no Moriya, who like Umako was an influential courtier with Prince Shotoku's uncle and father (both Emperors of Japan). Umako was able to have his and Futsu's daughters married into positions of prestige,including Tojiko no Iratsume (inspiration for Tojiko, of course) who was married to Prince Shotoku Taishi (who was apparently Miko). Shotoku sought to unify Japan under a single religion, Buddhism (according to Touhou, this was for Miko's own ends as she really practiced Daoism), and was heavily aided by the Soga Clan. Mononobe no Moriya and the Mononobe Clan opposed Buddhism, and rebelled against Shotoku. In the Battle of Shigisan (AKA the "Teibi Incident") Soga no Umako killed Mononobe no Moriya and much of the Mononobe Clan.

However, according to legend (AKA truth in Gensokyo) Futsuhime had turned traitor against the Mononobe, and collaborated with her husband Umako against them. She came up with the plot that allowed Umako to murder Moriya.

Other historical accounts label Futsuhime as the wife of Emperor Sushun, the uncle of Prince Shotoku. Emperor Sushun was rumored to have been assassinated on the orders of Soga no Umako, who was worried the Emperor would turn against him. Oh, and the consort of Sushun was Umako's daughter and Tojiko's sister. In any case, Sushun was succeeded by Empress Suiko, during whose reign Prince Shotoku served as Prince Regent

About 20 years after the deaths of Soga no Umako and Prince Shotoku, The Soga Clan had grown strong enough that they threatened the power of the reigning Emperor. In response, Nakatomi no Kamatari conspired with the then current Crown Prince to kill the heir to the Soga line. The Nakatomi Clan had earlier allied with the Mononobe Clan to stop the spread of Buddhism, but had been defeated alongside Mononobe no Moriya by Soga no Umako. Kamatari was successful in killing the Soga heir, and the clan's leader, Soga no Emishi committed suicide soon after by setting his palace on fire. The clan's power was broken up and their followers scattered and killed. This allowed the Emperor to centralize power in the Imperial Court. As thanks for Nakatomi no Kamatari's help, the Emperor gave him a new Clan name: Fujiwara.

It was said the the newly christened Fujiwara no Kamatari was killed by a bolt of lighting, as part of a curse laid down by the Soga clan. The Touhou character Tojiko, as I'm sure you remember, uses thunderbolt danmaku. Kamatari was succeeded by his son, Fujiwara no Fuhito, who is speculated to be who the father of (you guessed it) Fujiwara no Mokou is based on.

TL;DR summary: Futo had her husband kill her brother who shared Suwako's namesake. Later, Tojiko murdered Mokou's grandfather out of revenge. The Daoists may be the most metal in Gensokyo, but I doubt they're the most popular.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Artificer posted:

Other than Forbidden Scrollery, which I just finished and loved, what are some other good Touhou fan-comics to read?

Anything by Gensoukoumuten AKA Fantasy Engineering Works. It's a unique take on Gensokyo, but it's really well written. He's also concerned about your health. [Danbooru Links]

And seconding Karaagetarou/Karaages Shop.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

No one remembers the Hisoutensoku ending theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrrBEXbhRLQ

It's got bagpipes!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

I'll never believe that Mima is dead.

Technically she's been dead from the beginning.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Who cares about Mima, Shinki is where it's at.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

For everyone who enjoys Bomber Grape's comics, here's something similar I found. Acknowledge Her, Crown Prince!, In which Miko tries to adopt Kokoro, and discovers Tenchi was not a biopic. Standard Danbooru warnings apply.

Also, some new Setz 4Koma! They're all funny! Except for this one!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Pierson posted:

(This is everyone's excuse to post their favourite Touhou comics. Go.)

I posted this a few days back, but no one commented on it. :shrug:

Ammat The Ankh posted:

For everyone who enjoys Bomber Grape's comics, here's something similar I found. Acknowledge Her, Crown Prince!, In which Miko tries to adopt Kokoro, and discovers Tenchi was not a biopic. Standard Danbooru warnings apply.

Also, some new Setz 4Koma! They're all funny! Except for this one!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

New Finnish 4Koma. Here's the important bit:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

drat, should've had you ask if Shinki really was Alice's Mom.

Volt Catfish posted:

Well American beer IS terrible, so this isn't necessarily a bad thing...

Shut your whore mouth. Sure the big corporate breweries are terrible, but I'll be damned if I let you talk poo poo about our microbreweries.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Rin is the best almost-character.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

By the way, they posted the full version of the Art Scroll they gave to ZUN at AWA.

http://totaku.deviantart.com/art/AWA-Touhou-Scroll-Project-397181272

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

Machikado-Mapoze has another classical album out :syoon:

Oh hey, Terajin did the artwork for that. He's someone I don't think ever gets posted in this thread. Too bad, because his art is super adorable.

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=39196158

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=39126662

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=35462957

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=31462145

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=21646133

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=28740802

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

raocow posted:

At least until Meiling just decided to go buff when fighting a giant robot.

Huh, I honestly didn't notice that. I swear she was wearing pants in Terajin's other pictures.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

A game starring Seija where the point is to collide with all the danmaku.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Daedalus1134 posted:

Someone made a great "This is Halloween!" parody in MMD staring Touhou characters.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm22153318

Unfortunately, they used a Marilyn Manson cover of the song, so I took the liberty of redubbing it to the original.

original video in corner/audio

original audio only

That was pretty cool, thanks for sharing/improving the audio.

I can't figure out who Oogie Boogie (the shadow on the Moon) was supposed to be. I couldn't detect the presence of any hats, animal ears, or ribbons and those are every Touhou's identifying features.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

I think that's supposed to be Yuuka, one of the first Touhous to be identified by a lack of identifying headgear.

Oh, that'd make sense, I must've completely forgotten about her. She's one of the few Touhou who is powerful enough to not need a hat.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

NuclearPotato posted:

:stare: Okay, why the gently caress do we have that now, and who do we have to kill to make sure it never happens again?

Answer to both questions: GBS Nite Crew. :nitecrew:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Namtab posted:

He's right, this vid owns.

That was pretty great.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Stage 3 has a lot of the best Touhous. Meiling, Alice, Yuugi, Yoshika, and Unzan.

Also someone (not Livingtrope) bought a new Touhou emote no one will ever use.

:livintrope:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

The results of the 2014 popularity poll have been released. As expected, The Shrine Maiden of Paradise leads the pack. The most interesting one in the top ten is Koishi, who jumped about ten spots to land in number three. Both Marisa and Flandre improved their ranking, while Remilia slipped backwards.

Also Septette for a Dead Princess won the music poll, big deal.