Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

PCB came first for me because it featured three separate characters that had been brought to my attention in totally separate places.

- This girl from this cute super-engrishy music video about her relationship issues that she took out on her action figure collection.

- This stoner ghost with this holy poo poo amazing theme music OH MY GOD

- This one chick who was apparently like the dungeon master of whatever the gently caress Gensokyo was (which was apparently a land made entirely out of enormous, chubby, creepy anime heads because I saw the wrong fanart first.)

So it was pretty much a given that PCB was the Touhou for me.

Even though I can't even beat it on Normal gently caress

Honestly, these games are weird because I actually get worse at them the longer I play. A game over in an early stage is easy to recover from, but one in a later stage results in an attempted replay that is inevitably a complete disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I do want to say that just for what this is, it looks really, really good. Gensokyo is always pretty, but here they're bringing out an identifiable human element (and in the literal sense, at that).

You always knew this stuff was there in the background, of course, but it's about time that an official game showed it off. I love where they're going with these stage designs.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

At least someone from Subterranean Animism needs to show up as playable. Utsuho's the logical choice, seeing as how she's probably still hopped up on Yatagara-juice, but Yuugi is herself just seems like a natural fit for a fighting game, whatever the story.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I think JosephWongKS needs an intervention at this point. :colbert:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

That said, I appreciate that such posts have annoyed you and others in the thread and will stop posting them from now.

Not to disrespect your own enthusiasm for them, but by the time it gets to where someone's custom-titled you about it, it might be worth taking into consideration.

a cartoon duck posted:

Our protagonists, ladies and gentlemen.

For some ungodly reason I'd never thought to actually track this manga down and read it. Now I will.

Speaking of supporting official Touhou products: Does anyone know if importing the games from sites like Paletweb properly gets royalties out to ZUN?

It looks like the expenses must add up, but considering what goes into making these games and what you get out of them, it seems right and proper.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

That's something, I suppose. I'm not exactly sure how the profit distribution works for doujin products to begin with, so. :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Didn't even see the Remilia hat at first. That's beautiful.

Wonder if he'll bring any of his beer when he comes over to the US?

I wonder if he'll hate all our beer? :ohdear:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I'm just going to have to say that "Double-Dealing Character" is probably the single best title of an official Touhou game that there has ever been.

I hope not. The color scheme and basic silhouette is too much like Orin. Usually ZUN's better about that with design.

On that note, it's actually Orin who needs to be a playable character.

Orin or Kogasa. :colbert:

Marisa assassinated Mima and usurped her powers long ago.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Now for the first time ever: Final boss with a soup bowl for a hat.

Touhou, at the cuttingest edge of video game fashion.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Tell me about it! I'm getting all giddy-like thinking of what the likes of Wave, Iron Attack, Xi-on and Tutti Sound can do with it :allears:

It's difficult to imagine ZUN not deliberately setting the bait for some artists, with stuff like that. This is very easily the most badass EX boss theme the series has had.

In the meantime, though, Sukuna's theme sounds like a moodier take on Byakuren's, at least in parts. This isn't a bad thing, but I wonder if it was intentional.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

One thing I love about ZUN's music in recent games is that each game starting at MoF has a very distinctive style to it, it stops the games from running together. MoF is eastern-style, SA has more occidental/western rhythms, UFO is carefree and jazzy, TD is beat-oriented and poppy, and DDC went full-out rock.

It's pretty great.

I know exactly what you mean, and I noticed about the same thing. I could probably describe my impressions better if I had the faintest grasp of music structure and terminology, but instead I'll just wax poetic and say that MoF's is the soundtrack to beautiful weather, SA's is party time, UFO's is all about pulp adventure, TD's is celebrity-cool, and DDC is at once moody and chill, like drinking beer on the porch in a thunderstorm.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Couple pages back, but,

Clarste posted:

Although I have heard some complaints that TD and DDC's soundtracks aren't "Touhou-ish" and to a certain extent I can see that. It really depends on how you define Touhou-ish I guess.

Some peoples' exposure to Touhou music seems to be limited to EoSD through MoF, where most of the tracks are either grand-scale orchestras playing out on cheesy, upbeat synth to sound at once comical and bombastic, or are just flat-out sugar rushes. For an example of the former, see Gensokyo Millenium. For perhaps the ultimate embodiment of the latter, see Native Faith, which is positively bouncing off the walls.

As of SA, ZUN's been experimenting. It shows, and it's really a good thing, because he's talented enough to do well outside of the comfort zones he'd established...even though he isn't stepping that far out. :v: Examples of tracks that I found "unexpected", when I first listened through, included Interdimensional Voyage, Nuclear Fusion, Green-Eyed Jealousy, Wonderful Cemetery, and (utterly blowing it all out of the water) Pristine Beat.

Oh, and UFO Romance. The only Touhou track to use sampled giggling, and is just an utter delight in every way.

edit: And also Lonesome Werewolf, not because it was unusual, but for the "Why does a stage 3 boss have EX boss-sounding music :stare:" factor.

I'm not sure why anyone would object to any of this. You can't expect an artist not to want to expand on what they do sooner or later.

Eehh, fanboys I guess.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 21, 2013

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Easy there, tiger. :v:

Personally, I'm hoping that Lily-an comes along to sing us a heartfelt ballad about the trials and tribulations of having your head not attached, or how great it is to flip poo poo upside-down.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

A self-taught artist can certainly change their methods, even totally reinvent themselves if they so desire. It might be more difficult without any formal training in musical theory and structure, but you never know what kind of crazy thing can pop into someone's imagination.

CommissarMega posted:

By God, I actually think you're onto something- no seriously. I'm imagining Dullahan Under The Willows as a slow rock ballad, or something jazzy and it really does work. Just take a listen to the original- it's light on the 'guitar', and I can definitely see (well, hear) a saxophone taking its place, though I must admit I can't really tell whether some smooth jazz guitar work would be better. Maybe both, but that might make it too busy for a slow number.

Kaztora seems really good at working in subtle bits of instrumentation, like the guitar riffs in their cover of Interdimensional Voyage...and also at doing something unexpected. Honestly, I'm utterly stoked as well to see where the dojin musicians go with all of this.

Little Princess and Pristine Beat are certainly stand-outs, but I'm personally hoping for a lot of different takes on Reverse Ideology. I don't expect anything specific, but it's got that energetic yet menacing cadence that artists can either play way up, or turn around into something slower or more relaxed.

quote:

EDIT: I somehow found this. You guys NEED to hear that.

Touhou rap mashups will never, ever get old.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

What, is every Touhou now the worst Touhou?

(but gently caress that 'cause Subterranean Animism still has the highest concentration of awesome characters)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Ha ha ha, Reisen dead loving last of all Windows characters.

Though Unzan being not much higher is an outrage.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Redmark posted:

That's the moon Reisen from the manga, Reisen that fled to Earth is 23rd.

Well gently caress.

That means Unzan is dead last. :smith:

or should I say, :smithcloud:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Trihugger posted:

To answer this more directly, in Silent Sinner in Blue the leaders of the Moon's defensive forces, the Watatsuki sisters, decided to take in a new pet rabbit to replace the one that ran away. Just to be confusing, they gave her the same name. The reason Reisen #2 didn't have a name previously is because moon rabbits don't have names. Just like normal Earth rabbits don't have names. It's also the reason Reisen #1 has three names. None of them are her surname. All three are her given names simply given to her by different people.

I loving love that this is the actual explanation.

Though presumably Tewi doesn't count as a 'normal' Earth rabbit.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I got 100% on the Touhous music quiz.

:smug:

:shepface:

:negative:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

The alternative.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Nyaa posted:

I am also fine with localization into various form of "Bitch, get out of the way!"

Replace every line in every game with this and if anything, they become even more Touhou.

I really don't know what to think about this picture, but it's getting posted here anyway:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Hold up, gotta post something about an unpopular touhou to combat this popular clown

]

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

No joke, I really love the melody that Star-Spangled Pierrot has going. I hope it gets covered a lot, and some of the better vocalists (Lily-an, namely) take a shot at it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Clownpiece will Clownplease

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

My kokoro wish is Clownpiece getting into a fighting game so I can finally upgrade mine with a new sprite (ideally twirly)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Maybe, but at least fairies are good buds.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

They're making fun of her shirt (and are stupid because her shirt is great)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Clarste posted:

For some reason I feel like his kid is going to rebel and be some kind of anti-ZUN, whatever that means. I'd be very surprised if he ends up into Touhou at all.

he's gonna end up into loving Kantai Collection or some garbage just to be a punk

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Post good LoLK remixes.

I have nothing to contribute, I'm just about to drive for several days straight and need Touhou music for the whole thing. :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Excellent, it's a start!

Also yeah, UFO's music was fantastic. On it's own, as well as for bringing us this cover of Interdimensional Voyage/Captain Murasa and this one of Beware the Umbrella, which might be some of my favorites ever. And it's EX stage theme was probably the best of them all.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Everything I ever dreamed of.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Isn't Keine a legit schoolteacher or is that just a meme thing?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Junko's kinda up there with Yuyuko, as being someone with a hella sad backstory but who's now thoroughly earned their right to chill out and be another lazy rear end in a top hat with godlike powers in Gensokyo.

El Burbo posted:

Fairies! (in avatar form)

Cute, but insufficiently spinny.

Also, no Clownpiece.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

At the end of the extra stage of three characters Junko decides to stick around to bother Eirin and at the end of Marisa's extra stage Hecatia decides to hang at Marisa's place.

On one hand I like the thematic appropriateness of Hecate hanging out with a witch.

On the other hand ooohhhhh poo poo she movin in on Alice's piece oh no she DI-IN'T :nyd:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

accurate.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I've been reading Discworld. Just got to "Reaper Man", and thought hey, this plot is virtually identical to Phantasmagoria of Flower View (give or take some zombies defeating an evil shopping mall). And then it struck me that Touhou is basically Anime Discworld. Yet on the boorus, there's like one piece of fanart that can be construed as a crossover piece, and that's no good.

Kinda want to rectify this but I'm already at a dilemma. Would Patchouli be the Librarian, or would she be one of the three witches, along with Marisa and Alice?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Maybe Reimu, Yukari, Ran ; Granny, Nanny, Magrat

Greebo is Chen but bkub's version.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Hey, I'm obsessively hoarding Touhou music to listen to in my car's old-rear end CD player and also just to hoard Touhou music.

Anyone got cool remixes of: Little Princess, Lost Emotion, Kasen's theme from that one fighting game, something for Primordial Beat that does justice to both the drums and the melody, and pretty much anything from LoLK EXCEPT Pierrot of the Star-Spangled Banner unless it's rad beyond belief because I got some for that already.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Cirno confirmed for gyaru.

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Come on ZUN, your art is getting worse

Worse...or better???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

She is a strong independent black woman who don't need no miko.