Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The obvious answer is the PC-98 character who used crosses in her spell cards to add Christianity to the mix. And completely piss off people for not adding Mima again, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Well of course.

She is a bird. How else could she fly? Honestly.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

A fighting game spin-off-spin-off with all the high powered characters going at it together would be great. Start the cast off with the likes of Yuugi, Mokou and Yuka and just go to town.

In other news, apparently a play through for stages 4-6 of Double Dealing was leaked, here. I don't have a Nico' so I couldn't say.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It's purposefully non-lethal and, in universe, a way to evenly settle disputes in a realm with people (Yukari, Yuyuko, Yuuka?, so on) who are so powerful they could level it. The powers that be also forced it to be standard, so people can't get to uppity and, you know, destroy their little zoo.

That's largely just a excuse for the games, of course.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

But does she take herself seriously? As a midboss without dialogue the only thing we know about her is that she and Aya dislike each other and Hatate thinks she's pretty cool. I suppose it's just another example of how the Touhou Fandom basically invents personalities for most of the characters. I'm just more confused about how Momiji is so much more popular than the other midbosses.

Weirdo fanartists love dogs and Momiji has report with a already popular character and group. As well as coming from a popular game.

Contrast to a bucket, a pair of isolated goddesses, a librarian and a ghost consort or whatever she was.

She also actually comes up in the official works some, too. Koakuma does too and she's pretty on up there.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The actual difficulty in the translations is making it work, though. Touhou isn't known for all of it's text and dialog, as said, but the way ZUN and company codes it at times is drat near draconian. Remember the horror story of IN that changing a line of dialog caused a fairy to spawn off screen and make the stage unwinnable?

I know the fighters have it all hidden away, too. It probably would get better now, but earlier games are a headache.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Ahem.

Kurumi and Elly. :colbert:

Live in a dream. :smugbert:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Pretty sure one of the PC-98 characters was a human cop, actually. Or claimed to be, anyway.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

The best part about Yuyuko is that she's one of the most powerful, intelligent, and cunning people in Gensokyo and probably knows how to solve every incident but she'd rather dick around and tease Youmu then actually do anything.

Let's be fair that's pretty much true of sixth stage bosses as a whole. Byakuren aside, I guess.

The real reason why Mima never shows up again is because Marisa isn't really her lackey anymore so it just feels embarrassing and awkward.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Last I knew anime was more of a "be absolutely clear this is a fan thing, not official" and that was that.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

One of the printed works or a throw away line in one of the games, I forget, does mention that someone can sense the shrine's god and they're pissed at Reimu for not knowing them or something.

So probably not Yukari.

Reimu's shinto, tho. She's just a lazy orphan who was never taught anything.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Even if it's just HM we still get more animal friends, so it's fine.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

amuayse posted:

Zun actually likes Wriggle.
I think most of the attention Wriggle gets is because of the whole ambiguous gender shtick.

She's also a big Kamen Rider reference, so there's that too.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

I forget; was that intentional on ZUN's part, or something that evolved out of the fandom after Wriggle's newbie-ambush entry?

She's a bug-motif character who enters the screen with a dynamic kick.

Pretty sure it was intentional.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kasen may be the most boring Oni but i am excited for her to be playable. I wonder what they'll do for her attacks, there's not a lot to go on besides animal summoning.

quote:

Notes about Kasen:

* She has a bald eagle that follows her around and at least one of her specials involves it attacking (FREEDOM)
* She apparently has gap powers now and can summon tigers to attack
* Her arm bandage arm is prehensile and is used to attack as a whip, a drill (around her foot, no less), grabby hands, and other such things (including a ranged grab special that envelopes the opponent entirely for a moment)
* She has at least two bandage supers, one of which is a giant tornado
* Her sprite is simply flipped upon turning around, so her bandaged arm is not always the same arm
* Her victory pose is a nag
* Story Mode Kasen has an infinite tiger summon spellcard

Apparently a demo is already out.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

At this point the main thing keeping a PoFV game back is the amount of people that he'd probably want to be involved for a fanservice game like that.

That's a lot of art assets and balancing.

How much does Wild and Winged Hermit update, by the way? I ran through it after ignoring it for the four years it's been running and remain annoyed that ZUN keeps teasing the "Kasen is the repenting evil fourth deva-oni" this long. It's a fun read, though, still.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Huh.

Why?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I really hope the final boss isn't a toilet demon, because I really don't want to see the fanart.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Sanae is literally a geek and a nerd, through and through.

Nitori is a mad scientist but in a time when steam power is probably the greatest thing.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Eirin slaughtered a bunch of diplomats.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

One of the best, too.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Oni-hermit Kasen already made it clear they were affected by them, it's just more of a phobia then setting them on fire or something like that.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Eirin is a doctor, not a dentist. A doctor for everyone.

Clearly that makes some of the conspiracy and murderin' better.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

She's training an apprentice.

When you know how to cure everything that takes a lot of time.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

In which Reimu is an orphan.

Edit: poo poo, Marisa is the only one who isn't an orphan and she still might be a runaway or something.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah, Marisa has got some poo poo going on.

Which makes me really wish she wasn't a satellite character in WaHH and did stuff instead of being exposition/third wheel. Nitori does more. And they don't even chat!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

SirSlarty posted:

She is Buffy Van Hellmont, the Ripper.

From the moon.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Why does Reisen have a bunny gun.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

No, that's fine.

Why does the gun have rabbit ears.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Think it's from this. Scroll down a bit.

Koishi looks like a psychopath as usual, so all is well.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Would.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

That's a surprisingly grim cover.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I'm glad Zatanna is in Touhou now.

Sorta.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It is Mima

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I'm pretty sure magicians, which Marisa herself reels herself towards every now and then as a metaplot point, really count. They're only youkai in the sense that Japanese Mythos calls anything that isn't human youkai.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Clarste posted:

No, there's a specific bodily transformation that they have to undergo before being considered youkai. Akyu calls it the spell to "abandon food", after which their body is powered by raw magic and they don't need to eat or sleep. There's no ambiguity whatsoever about what being a youkai magician means. Marisa hasn't crossed that line, so she's a pure human magician, for now.

Oh no, Marisa certainly isn't. But it's been a reoccurring character trait that she's hella interested in immortality. Granted, I think it was abandoned for a couple games until WaHH.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The only one that isn't good is the moon one.

Which might be required for the next game now.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

It should, cause it got retconned eight years ago.

Huh?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

What, Nixon didn't armwrestle moon rabbits in a fierce secret war?

Lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

She's a witch, they do what they want.