Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Just read the about page on the touhou wikia.

quote:

The original Touhou Wiki was hosted by Pooshlmer on a different website, but due to hosting issues and growing pains, decided to move their content to the Wikia network. The website grew while on the Wikia network, but due to changes with the skins provided by Wikia, a large majority of the users decided to leave the Wikia network. The feeling was that Wikia should close this page, owing to the fact that some the content was not created on the network, and let the new Wiki continue forward. However, under the Wiki Creative commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, a right was given to Wikia to keep this content, and Wikia decided to keep this Wiki open despite the exodus of most of its editors.
Now, while it can be argued that Wikia should or should not have kept this wiki open, the fact of the matter is they decided to. Some people did not like this, and a few individuals decided to vandalize the Wikia page with shock images, spam, page blanking, and other actions. Although some of the worst vandalism was cleaned up by ex-contributors and Wikia staff, the majority of the website remained in poor condition.

The (not at this time) current administrators decided to restore this wiki and remove the vandalism from the pages. From there, we will be doing our best to keep this page updated as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

There are like three on these very forums,

He specified Lunatic, and Tsym's is the only one at that difficulty.

For EoSD through IN, you can just set your lives to max and play on Easy. For MoF you can just spam bombs like crazy. And for SA through TD... I don't know, get autobomb patches?

And if you are really, absolutely, completely horrible and can't win even with all of that, get Cheat Engine and give yourself max lives and 200 Power.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's been out for two months now. Even had a post dedicated to it in the FMW1 LP.

EDIT: Man, you were one of the like six guys who actually followed my thread too. :negative:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 27, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A number of the people in this thread for one.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh darn, I was hoping Jynx would skip to SoEW.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

touhou music video challenge: find ones without crying, abandonment, or unrequited love

Do you just ignore the numerous PVs that don't fit that mold?

EDIT: I hope this was some kind of silly April Fools joke or something, because otherwise you just seriously tried to cram the entirety of a spectrum of Touhou fanworks under one label.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 2, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

e: Picking Cirno's Math class as a non-emo example is cheating. :colbert:

Why? I didn't even link that anyways, but why would that not count?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gamma Nerd posted:

Speaking of drama I think somebody a page back indirectly insulted PoDD. It's really one of the best games in the series, I have no idea why people are so down on it.

Elliotw2 posted:

I'd be perfectly happy with that if it meant the network play would work better.

He said the network play was bad. That's not an insult, that's a fact. Since it doesn't have any. (Elliot probably meant PoFV)

But, uh, best in the series? Did we play the same PoDD, because I remember an unbalanced game with a ridiculous difficulty ramp come the final two stages of story mode.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gamma Nerd posted:

PoDD lunatic is nuts and unfair and 30 minutes of pure adrenaline. None of the other Touhou games test your dodging that much. It's one of the most entertaining games I've ever played.

Eh, I prefer PoFV Lunatic more. Generic enemies taking more than one hit to kill (even if you can just spam charge attacks/abuse explosion chains) and the reduced space to manuever in just rub me the wrong way. v:shobon:v

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gamma Nerd posted:

On shrinemaiden there was a silly challenge to do Lunatic, no-focus, constant shooting, no charge runs (bombing on x allowed) and I got a kick out of that.

There's a thin line between self-imposed difficulty and masochism, and I think you crossed it three miles back. :v:

Samurai Sanders posted:

What does the enemy AI do on PoFV Lunatic? Just stop being hit by bullets entirely?

Enemies still have hitboxes (this is why Medicine is so devastatingly effective), but they're programmed to perfect evade everything up till a certain time. After which they'll be much more sloppy. It is possible to overwhelm them before the time limit though: if you rack the combo meter up to the point you're getting BONUS from everything then keep it up for a minute or two, Lunatic AI usually caves in. But it's pretty hard to do that before the timer runs down.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 5, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So according to Sanbondo's blog,

Google Translate posted:

Anyway, there's "New" is "trial version" at the 10th Festival Hakurei Shrine cases coming I plan to distribute! I hope the public and even the title, so lonely indeed is lumped in with announcement of the patch, I think that if touched again later. Since the festival catalog cases might be released before that, I do not go by stay tuned. Prayer to be able to post again soon, Thank you! This time around here.

we might be seeing FMW3's trial version! Kind of fast, but maybe they spent the two years between FMW1 and FMW2 getting ready for 3 and 4 too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Assuming background characters won't appear in more than one stage, I figure that means there won't be a Kourindou stage.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Marisa's a Main Character, she's contractually obliged to show up in everything.

I wonder what the TD stage will be. The underground mausoleum? Or that underground base they're all living in?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sanae is guaranteed to be a playable character for the Shinto side.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly that still seems like Reimu to me. What the hell religion does she have anyway?

She's a Shintoist. Not a very devout one, especially compared to Sanae, but that doesn't mean she isn't one. See: her clothes, her position, and her powers.

And her shrine does have a god, she just doesn't know its name. Or give a drat about it. It is apparently annoyed at this, but seeing how she hasn't been evicted after 13 games of neglect it probably doesn't care that much.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

For all we know, it might not even exist anymore. After all, vampires and the like can visit the shrine with no problem.

UFO Reimu B's Ending posted:

Byakuren: Nobody ... really worships at this shrine, do they?
Reimu: Geh. W-what makes you say that?
Byakuren: Well, the god here is so mad.

Okay come on guys, it's not that hard to just check up on stuff before you post it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Just going to nip that in bud: no, he's not. It is a joke.

In other news, has anyone gotten the HM trial netplay to work? I assumed it was like HT's, but when I tried it with a friend it didn't go too well.

EDIT: Nevermind, success! :toot:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 14, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

:spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

Clarste posted:

If she was any good at it Reimu might become a god someday, but she's not.

While I agree with most of what you said, I think this line isn't really telling the whole story. Reimu has both the potential and the means to ascend into divinity, but she decidedly doesn't want to. And to me, that attitude is what defines her entire character; it's not that she doesn't care, she's just completely :effort: about it.

quote:

Anyway, she constantly feels the pinch of PR.

Take this. As lazy as she is, Reimu has gotten a lot of poo poo done over the course of the games. But nobody in the human village knows about her deeds since she doesn't bother to broadcast them, and for the most part she's entirely fine with this. If she really wanted to get worshippers so much, she could have just gone around telling everyone "hey remember that scarlet mist/really long winter/hosed up weather/divine spirit outbreak? I stopped that." after every game. But she didn't, and the reason why I think is similar to how her shrine doesn't sell "Bad Luck" fortunes: Reimu doesn't believe in effort.

The thing about Reimu that makes her so different from Marisa is that she was born with everything she'd ever need. She's kind of a freak of nature if you think about it; all being the Hakurei Shrine Maiden did was give her access to the Yin-Yang Orb and the ability to invoke the gods, and she barely uses either. Meanwhile her ridiculous intuition, her power to float, and all of that other crazy poo poo she can do is all her. It was a thing that Reimu doesn't train because she doesn't need to, and I think any sort of character analysis of her falls flat if you don't acknowledge that aspect of her character. Does she want to be rich and live a comfortable life? Hell yes! But if she isn't already, then there's no point in bothering.

So it's not that Reimu's doing it wrong, unsure of what to do, or conflicted over her duties. To her, what happens happens and there's no point trying to do anything about it. Look at that one chapter of WaHH where Kasen whipped her into shape; she came back to the shrine totally ready to improve her lot in life, then just gave up two hours later. That's just how she is, and like Komachi pointed out that's not a bad thing. Reimu is true to herself and lives the way she wants to, and according to Eiki in PoFV (or maybe that Yukari sidestory, I dunno) that's the ideal life.

tl;dr Reimu's modus operandi is to just head out in a random direction until all the pieces fall into the place. That's not just for incidents, it's for everything.

:spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

quote:

One of her victory animations is her slapping a big "No Solicitation" sign on the screen, implying her main goal is to get everyone else to stop.

I hope when HM's full version is released, Reimu's role in story mode will just be chasing people out of her shrine.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Turns out when you haven't played and sort of STG for a while, spamming Malice Cannon is not a very good idea.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I guess the maid fairies are all out of a job now.

a cartoon duck posted:

Also confirmed: No one gives a poo poo if Yuuka's around. Suck it, trite and boring fanon bullshit.

Where was she in that chapter?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Paletweb already pays ZUN just to get Touhou games in stock. Why would they give him royalties too?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A circle produces a product > They sell it in bulk to resellers for a profit > The resellers sell the game for a profit > Shipping and handling murders your wallet.

I guess technically the money you'd give to paletweb is going to ZUN, since paletweb uses that money to buy the Touhou games from him in the first place.

e;fb

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Don't be hating Baird Beer.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Let's not get ridiculous with our speculation here.

(My uncle who works at Team Shanghai Alice tells me the new character can shoot bullets!)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Funny, I know people with the exact opposite opinion.

Artificer posted:

Anyways, after IN, which is generally considered to be the next easiest?

Between TD and MoF, TD is by far the easier game and IMO the better experience. But since you've started with IN, I'd recommend MoF since it will definitely wean you from the "MUST CONSERVE ALL BOMBS EVER :downs:" mindset IN's relaxed deathbombs probably gave you.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The secret to TD is to activate Trance every time there's two or more pink/green spirits on the screen.

(The secret to UFO is to plot out what UFOs you want.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Everybody says that, but I just grab 'em as I see them and I'm fine. People really exaggerate how necessary it is to totally memorise the location of every single UFO. Just don't be afraid to let a couple UFOs leave the screen if getting them would waste a life and/or bomb and you won't get into negatives.

You don't need to memorize it, it just helps to know what you can possibly do. Take Stage 1.

Stage 1 UFO spawns posted:

Red + B-Multi, R-Multi, Blue + G-Multi, B-Multi, Red + B-Multi (Drop from boss), Green, G-Multi

Let's say I want to get lives. I can collect a maximum of one and a half lives here (Red + B-Multi + R-Multi, prize + G-multi + B-Multi, prize + Red + B-Multi), but I'd never have known that by just playing normally. Unless I did a practice run and marked down each and every UFO that is, but that's basically the same thing as checking a spawn list.

And this is only really important stage 1-3 anyways; IIRC, stage 4 and onward have a poo poo ton of UFOs. Once you figure out how to get there with a comfortable amount of resources, you're good.

EDIT: Also if you're already good at UFO and don't need maximum resources (like duck) this is of course meaningless, but some people (like me) aren't!

Trihugger posted:

The secret to TD is to pick Youmu who's shot type is practically a bomb and her actual bomb is the best in the game.

By the time you figure out how to effectively use Youmu you could have already beaten the game with Reimu. :geno:
This was true in IN as well.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 29, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Do Seiga's Overdrive as Youmu then. :smug:

Also point is that Youmu has a learning curve while Reimu doesn't. You can beat the game easily enough with either of them sooooo.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 29, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You're two pages late.

Also, while I've seen people spell "canon" with two n's far too many times, this is the first I've seen someone give the same treatment to "Marisa". :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Her name is pronounced "Chi-roo-no", and Чёрный is something like "Chi-or-nee". I don't see a connection.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 1, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Clarste posted:

of the cast of EoSD only Rumia and Flandre have never appeared again.

They're both in PMiSS and StB.

As I recall, the consensus is that フランドール is an attempt to say Flanders in Japanese. Flandre is a decent enough compromise between the original name and the katakana.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Jeez Namtab, follow the conversation. :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Leviathean posted:

So we tried our hand at translating, even though none of us really knew Japanese. I ended up helping out with the enemy Spell Card translations (and taking screenshots of each one because I wanted to show how beautiful they were), and editing the machine translations into something "okay enough" for our small forum.

This explains so, so much.

Have you ever considered going back and making a retranslation with the help of the now massive Touhou community? Or do you feel that it's all just set in stone at this point and there's no point trying to fix things up?

Schwarzwald posted:

...has there ever been an answer for this?

Alcohol.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 3, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MadRhetoric posted:

Show us on the doll where the Yuuka fans touched you.

Don't mind him, he's just traumatized from PoFV.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

While this probably isn't the type of question you were expecting, how do you make the translation patches anyways? My attempts to mess around with the games' .dat files have always ended rather poorly, so I'm interested in hearing how it's done.

And if you can't answer that, at least tell me this: who came up with "Bitch, get out of the way!"? Because they are literally the best.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ranpire posted:

So, yes, I'm responsible for "Bitch, get out of the way!"

I will buy you whatever forums upgrade you want. :allears: I am being entirely serious.

Thanks for the tale, that was really interesting. IN was the first game I tried to modify (I wanted to see if I could switch around team members), so I'm glad to see my utter failure wasn't just me being an idiot. Still, I thought IN was built off of PCB's engine (to the point the Cherry system is actually still there). I wonder if that translation was a similar nightmare?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ranpire posted:

Forum upgrade - Wow, thanks more! Uh, I don't know, some tasteful avatar I guess? (Oh god I only made this account for lurking and reading archives, ahhh)

Is there any way I can contact you to send a gift certificate code? (and if you just want to read, you should probably get platinum instead. Then you can search!)

quote:

I've no idea about the actual cherry mechanics, possibly they're still there, but we never had reason to dig into the gameplay system stuff.

According to some guy on shrinemaiden, they're there, just gutted. All of the triggers are present, and you can technically get a supernatural border, but it won't do anything.

quote:

translation woes

Seems a lot of the really good circles have been pumping up their encryption lately (the FMW2 translation, for instance, has stalled to a halt). At this rate, it'd be easier to learn japanese then make a translation patch. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ranpire posted:

spinpire1 at Google electronic mail. And, uh, sure, whatever you like? Thanks!

No problem.

Slight change of subject: :siren: Sanbondo's game demo has been confirmed to be FMW3! :siren:

Google Translate posted:

Is refined sugar. It is May already When you noticed. It is fun from now catalog of example festival also is beginning to sell, is to create a shopping list. Their is also acclaimed in shambles, but ... maybe you think that it has been promoted well in advance than when "Phantom"! Well, I mentioned the other day glance is "new trial", but the title " fantasy girl War Young " has become! ! ...... Those things are missed timing in Kamake to work I thought ...... you want to write before the sale of catalog title itself is a fastball because it came "Red" and "Sprite", but the content is the development midst. Their own, it is looking forward to what will be completed. Such as those fascinated with head family of "Imperishable Night", it sounds good when you're in the game that was full of dreams! I think that is when I become like those felt such power and enthusiasm to the "trial version". The Akatsuki you successfully master up, you're going to introduce for the content. It will also provide a WEB trial version in the future, but it is consulting with patch work for time. Anyway, I think first I try to return towards the debugging! (It is acclaimed test playing) is around here this time!

永 is the kanji GT's parsing as "young", and if the second bolded line didn't make it obvious enough it's the first kanji in IN's japanese name. I guess this one will be called FMW I? Whatever, this is happening already yessss. :swoon:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I hope they implement a Partner system similar to the recent handheld SRWs. It'll be a nice throwback to the partner system in IN too.

They'd be pretty silly not to, it's the perfect solution to the growing cast and a mechanic that's in both source games.

All I want is for Reimu to get Fantasy Heaven (as an attack and as a skill) and Marisa to finally get Master Spark as a map attack. Also, and this is never happening, make the final version of Malice Cannon a post-movement attack so Magic Team becomes even more ridiculous.

EDIT: Also, Ranpire, did that code get to you?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Clarste posted:

Although I guess the transparency might be a problem.

That and fitting in translated text. Divine Arts "Omnidirectional Demon Binding Circle" is a heck of a lot wider than 神技「八方鬼縛陣」 for instance.