Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

JosephWongKS posted:

Setz has released a new comic - http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1387630

I admit that I was taken in for a moment before I remembered that it was 1 April.

Geez, the comic hasn't even been fully translated yet. I know you have that redtext avatar and everything, but in the future could you possibly wait for the translation to finish before posting links? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

MadRhetoric posted:

Star Wars, Indiana Jones maybe, Die Hard, the Dune novels. Lot of the time it is just the first (wide release) piece of media is the one people latch on to. Although that isn't really the case for Touhou since it blew up with MoF. It's probably more that the Scarlet Devil Mansion (and Cirno) are all evocative and distinctive Touhous with catchy music, well-defined roles, multiple merchandise presences and three of them are little girls.

And ESoD isn't the first Touhou game :ssh:

Was it Mountain of Faith that saw the series really take off in popularity? I always thought that it happened around the time Imperishable Night was released.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: Anyway this is getting all serious and dumb so here's a picture by Bion of Reimu riding a moped in the air.

The legacy of ZUN's art continues.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Artificer posted:

Successfully 1cced Imperishable Night on Normal, FinalB, with Reimu and Yukari.

Ended up with zero bombs, zero lives. Despite getting close, I died like a little wimp on every single one of Kaguya's Last Cards. ....that still counts, right? I got Good Ending #1 and everything. :ohdear:

This is pretty much how I cleared Imperishable Night, as well...

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Does anybody know what types of beer ZUN likes, specifically? If he doesn't like American-style lager, there are always microbreweries that produce other varieties.

Also :wtc: at that logo.

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 20, 2013

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Ten Desires is really boring, though. Mountain of Faith is a much better choice.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Admittedly, if Mima were to actually make a return appearance in an official Touhou game, it would be an indicator that ZUN is letting the fans dictate what he creates. And no good could possibly come from that.

Even though Shikieki should be a playable character. :colbert:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The most important question remains, however- do the characters have spinning animations? :colbert:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Artificer posted:

Other than Forbidden Scrollery, which I just finished and loved, what are some other good Touhou fan-comics to read?

Bomber Grape's comics are the best if you like black humor.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

And yeah, the photography games are hard as balls. They basically run the whole range from Stage 1 Easy to Stage 6 Lunatic difficulty-wise compared to other games, so if you're only used to the lower difficulties that stuff becomes impenetrable quick.

They are not, the two games are crazy hard from the beginning. I've 1CCed Perfect Cherry Blossom and Imperishable Night on Normal, and have yet to get through stage 2-2 on Shoot The Bullet. :sigh:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Pierson posted:

(This is everyone's excuse to post their favourite Touhou comics. Go.)

Chihiro/KEMONOMICHI and Bomber Grape are cool I think

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 20, 2013

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

While we're on the subject, does anybody have any Touhou eighties goth rock? There has to be some out there, somewhere.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

In EoSD, Marisa A also seems to work pretty well, at least in my experience.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Redmark posted:

I think EoSD is probably the game in which having Master Spark makes the most difference (with the incredible spam from stage 4 onwards and no armor at the beginning of spell cards). MarisaA's bomb is pretty bad and she doesn't have the lasers to help with stages.

Yes, but her missile-shot type covers more area and does more damage, so it all works out. Plus, christmas trees and stars look nicer than big ugly lasers. :colbert:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

There's also like a dozen breweries within a 10 mile radius of that convention center.

There are tons of breweries on the west coast, too. :(

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Bakanogami posted:

Panel was pretty good. Super packed though, massive line all around the lobby. Started 20 mins late and wound up being pretty much all Q&A. Looking at his twitter he was apparently astonished that he got so many super nerdy questions about PC98 games and unused characters.

What did he say about Mima, what did he say about Mima? :f5:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Running into people who are cosplaying you has to be the most awkward thing.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Miko as a horned owl is the coolest. Owls are the coolest.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

el burbo posted:

Not always though.

Oh my goodness, Chen's costume is the most adorable thing ever. :3:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

el burbo posted:

The genuine PC-98 experience!

The actual PC-98 games look and sound so much better than this. :colbert:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

leather fedora posted:

Yeah, I listened to the crossfade and that alone blew away his previous nu-disco outing.

I was going to protest, but after listening to some more of their stuff I can see what you mean. They were definitely following a formula, and even though most of their songs taken individually sound good, they get repetitive really quickly. :sigh:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I just wanted to say :nignog:.

Of all the Touhou smilies to spend $30 on, why would they go with this one.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Apparitions Stalk The Night is a cool song, there never was a stage one boss theme curse. :saddowns:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

This is a pretty accurate drawing guide:

The best part of this image is that it predates Subterranean Animism.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Does anybody know if ZUN trumpets have been used outside of Touhou? If they haven't, someone needs to get on that immediately.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Oh my goodness these are amazing, please tell me there's more Village People/Touhou tracks out there. :dance:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Yes. Yes it would suffice.

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I'm not that familiar with Earth, Wind & Fire. What song of theirs is being used here?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Clarste posted:

Although unfortunately people do still talk about Shikieiki (her surname is Shiki, her given name is Eiki, so combining them into one word just looks weird).

The Touhou wiki refers to her as Eiki Shiki, which looks even weirder.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Justus posted:

Can't go wrong with games from TasoFro or Lionheart. And the second Touhouvania is quite nice as well.

New Super Marisa Land is a rather well-done Mario clone, but it would be nice to not have to add "please overlook the dumb anime fanservice poo poo in the invincibility star and in the extra boss rush" to that. :sigh:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

boredsatellite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq-YGrZpdsg

You are all wrong desire drive is the best theme

This person knows what's up.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

SirSlarty posted:

Never liked any of the photography games' tracks.

Not even Wind God Girl?

v :eng99:

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 29, 2014

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

"I will soon reveal the truth behind Sakuya and Remilia's relationship, along with Sakuya's backstory." - ZUN, 2002.

Hasn't done anything of the sort in the past 12 years.

:allears:

Maybe there is no backstory to reveal, nor any relationship beyond Sakuya being the head maid of the Scarlet Devil Mansion?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

It was inevitable that Touhou would eventually crest, then recede; like all fads, it couldn't sustain itself forever. The fact that it's being replaced by Touhou-but-with-loli-strippers-and-jingoism is really disappointing, though...

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

What exactly do the colors indicate on that graph? Would blue be an increase in sales, red a decrease, purple holding steady? What would the gray bar represent, then? And what do the names that aren't Touhou, Tiger & Bunny, Free!, or Vocaloid translate to?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

cuc posted:

Gray bars are numbers from last year's Comiket 85.

Oh crap that is pretty bad. :(

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

brave nazi aviator posted:

when touhou is forgotten will it end up in gensokyo

Mods please make this the thread title, thanks in advance.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Aya has Wind God Girl as her theme.

Aya > Hatate

Hatate has the better-looking outfit of the two, though.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Hey, you didn't draw MS Paint sunglasses and censor bars on this, to protect the innocent. Go back and do it again! :colbert:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

I'm curious as to what the criteria were for inclusion, and whether there were any games they wanted, but weren't able to get the rights to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

I made it as far as the boss rush before giving up. How are you supposed to survive so many boss fights?