Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The only ending worth earning is Youmu's bonus ending in Ten Desires, anyway.

But anyway, apparently ZUN's afterword in one of the artbooks talks about how LPs, or whatever the closest Japanese equivalent was at the time, is the death of gamer culture or something. I know Zorak made a post about that in Rising Grandpa's old thread, but I don't got archives so I can't dig it up right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

MadRhetoric posted:

Dialogue's on the wiki; just read it there. There are places that break ZUN's ending rule too, if you know where to look.

Or just grind like a motherfucker until you get good enough to "earn" it. It's an incentive! :v:

Then be pissed because most Touhou games just give you a bad ending for playing on Easy and/or using continues and proceed to grind even harder on Normal. Bonus points if you're trying to finish EoSD first and find out its lovely surprise to you for playing on Easy.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Still waiting on a smug motherfucker to chime in with "I patch my Touhous to play on Ultra difficulty because Lunatic is too easy for me".

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

There's pretty good odds Byakuren is gonna be a playable character, and she already covers the strong, physical slot that Yuugi would, being a muscle mage and all. Her bio in UFO says she uses her magic to give her super strength, plus apparently Bhuddism buffs your melee power, so Yuugi's niche is basically covered already.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Kanako's also pretty big and hands-on with the whole gathering faith thing, she's a pretty natural fit for this game.

Personally I'm hoping for Kasen Ibara to be included as well. The fact that she's not included in Reimu's stage when that's basically her favourite hang-out in the manga is pretty re-assuring on that front.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

There's also the fact that most of Wild and Horned Hermit is Reimu coming up with hare-brained schemes to get more followers.

Hell, Oriental Sacred Place ended with Marisa remarking how Reimu's habit of befriending and using fairies and youkai makes her pretty hermit-like, so ZUN's been working towards the whole faith-mechanics in Hopeless Masquerade for a while now. It's pretty silly to suggest there's nothing spiritual about Reimu when her spirituality has been a central theme in several of ZUN's works now.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Reimu ain't give a gently caress about people having faith in her. When Sanae talks about shrine maidens being able to ascend into godhood from faith and how Reimu should be prepared for that, Reimu basically just retorts that she doesn't care about becoming a god.

The whole point of Reimu's faith and spirituality is that it's confusing and that she herself is basically confused about it, that's why Hopeless Masquerade has this whole flexible faith system, where your faith changes depending on the skills, items and spell cards you equip, and why Reimu is a pretty fitting central character in a game like HM.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Artificer posted:

Goddammit. I come back to Touhou after like 2-3 months and I can't 1CC Imperishable Night on Normal anymore. Got any tips, reminders, and refreshers for me, please?

I dunno, are there any particular sections giving you trouble? Other than basic stuff like being able to auto-collect by focusing at the top of the screen and preserving the million bombs you get in stages 3 and 4 for the stage 4 boss, I can't really think of any general advice.

Also, Border Team is the best, don't bother with the other poser teams.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Artificer posted:

Marisa just loving shreds me, yeah. And I keep Last Bombing instead of normal bombing like a loser because I don't know when I'll be hit before I get hit. :negative:

Yeah, Marisa is pretty loving tricky no matter how you slice it. It helps to remember that her star bullets have comparatively small hitboxes, so you can squeeze through some gaps that seem fatal, especially as the Border Team.

Do you have maybe have any replays of your stage 4 runs? Maybe I can give some more specific advice if I see your playing, I dunno.

Edit: Well I dunno how much help watching other replays is, but just in case I threw a replay of stage 4B together. Maybe you'll see a maneuver or whatever that'll help you out.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 16, 2013

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Everyone should just go and play Imperishable Night today and post replays. Here, lemme start. I just made this earlier today after Artificer mentioned the game, 'cuz I just love replaying dem Touhous.

Go ahead, play on Easy and with 7 starting lives, ain't no one gonna judge since we're just having fun playing video games here.

Do you know what the best thing is, Sanders? If you play Imperishable Night enough, you can play Stage 4A with Solo Reimu. That's how awesome the game is. In fact, I will make a replay JUST FOR YOU to prove this point.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Namtab posted:

I think you got him mixed with me

Nah I meant Sanders, what with him saying he wants to play as Reimu and fight Boss Reimu

Speaking of, here's the Dream Duel everyone was waiting for! Reimu versus Reimu! Who will come out victorious? (spoilers, it's Reimu)

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

It's been years since I last played IN. I forgotten most the mechanics.

I think my favorite clue that you haven't played IN in years is that you actually take a moment to read the dialogue. I am so used to having my finger firmly plastered on ctrl whenever a boss shows up when I replay it that I almost thought the replay was broken, haha.

Nages, that was a pretty chill replay.

Samurai Sanders, that is not a replay and is in fact an MMD. I know this is an easy mistake to make but please try to pay more attention next time.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Who cares about unfunny Finns when you got official Touhou mangas to read?

Our protagonists, ladies and gentlemen.

Just download it over at Touhouwiki or check it at your favorite manga reader sites, I know you nerds all have one.

Also confirmed: No one gives a poo poo if Yuuka's around. Suck it, trite and boring fanon bullshit.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I guess the maid fairies are all out of a job now.

Where was she in that chapter?

It's been tough times for maid fairies ever since Remilia decided to just hire kobolds instead.

Also Yuuka shows up on page 7 with Reimu and Marisa being all oh hey the flower youkai is here to the flower viewing, cool beans. Then she just shows up in pages 11 and 23 as a voiceless background character because she isn't actually any scarier than vampires or death ghosts or literal gods or whatever. I dunno man, it just amuses me when ZUN directly contradicts dumb fanon stuff.

On a different note, is it just me or does Sanae's outfit in this chapter look hella weird?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yukari also presumably kidnaps humans from the outside world as food for Gensokyo's youkai population, so you fat fucks are liable to become part of an all-you-can-eat buffet.

exhibit A:

Artificer posted:

Anyways, after IN, which is generally considered to be the next easiest?

Ten Desires is the only one I can 1CC on Normal without losing a single life, so I'm gonna say that one's even easier than IN.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

(The secret to UFO is to plot out what UFOs you want.)

Everybody says that, but I just grab 'em as I see them and I'm fine. People really exaggerate how necessary it is to totally memorise the location of every single UFO. Just don't be afraid to let a couple UFOs leave the screen if getting them would waste a life and/or bomb and you won't get into negatives.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

By the time you figure out how to effectively use Youmu you could have already beaten the game with Reimu. :geno:
This was true in IN as well.

Man, I'm like the biggest proponent of Needle Reimu in the games, but Youmu is objectively the correct choice in TD.

quote:

EDIT: Also if you're already good at UFO and don't need maximum resources (like duck) this is of course meaningless, but some people (like me) aren't!

I don't even need any UFOs to beat the game :smug:

But honestly, I only really got good enough to do that for the thread challenge. Before that, my rule of thumb was just "if it's red, grab it" and I managed to do fine enough. After all, points don't matter and bombs refill upon death, right?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I dunno, keeping my middle finger firmly-planted on the Y key isn't exactly using up a lot of my brainpower. Plus there's always the odd pattern that requires you to not shoot, and then having to remember to toggle shooting on and off would take more concentration than just not shooting for a couple moments.

edit: As far as TD Youmu is concerned, I usually am not fond gimmick shot-types, like IN Youmu, or every inverse shot-type where unfocused you have a narrow shot and focused you have a wide shot, but TD Youmu's raw power just destroys anything, from normal stage fairies to bosses. Her focused shot does take some getting used to, and why I dismissed her when first playing TD, but once I gave her a fair shake she basically became my go-to character when in every other Touhou it's Needle Reimu.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 29, 2013

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Man, that's the only Overdrive I have yet to beat with anyone, period. I'm still sore about the time I died the split second I beat Seiga forever ago, I don't care to try again anymore.

edit: In other tough spell card-related news, I managed to capture Border of Life and Death :toot:

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 29, 2013

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Hey a new chapter of Forbidden Scrollery has been translated.

Germany now confirmed part of Touhou canon.

Also, that youkai flying with Lily White showed up in Curiosities of Lotus Asia where her most notable actions were reading a book once and getting beat up by Reimu and Marisa for reading a book, so I guess it makes sense she makes a cameo appearance in a manga about a librarian?

Oh and Yuuka shows up as a tiny background character with no lines again. Suck it, Yuuka fans.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Don't mind him, he's just traumatized from PoFV.

Trigger warning that poo poo, man.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Sakuya's playable again? That's kinda disappointing when there's lots of stage 5 and/or 6 bosses who didn't get a chance to be playable in a shmup yet.

Ah well who cares, the important part is Needle Reimu is in the game who even cares about other shot-types.

Edit: also one of the stages looks basically exactly like TD Stage 2, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised at ZUN recycling resources at this point.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 10, 2013

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

I get the feeling that he's intentionally saying "the religion arc is over now".

Yes, but it still feels kinda silly to bring back older characters anyway is what I'm saying? But who knows, Youmu in TD was actually awesome so maybe I'll change my tune once this comes out, who knows. Also I guess maybe ZUN just wants to stick to humanish player character nowadays.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

Sanae isn't human-ish?

But yes, "human" has always been one of the criteria for being playable in a main Windows shooting game. The exception being IN where canonically they were all human-youkai pairs (although you can play solo youkai as bonus content)..

I was thinking of Shou and Futo not being made playable characters, not Sanae being removed from the roster.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Hedera Helix posted:

Admittedly, if Mima were to actually make a return appearance in an official Touhou game, it would be an indicator that ZUN is letting the fans dictate what he creates. And no good could possibly come from that.

It's kinda funny you say that when fan favourite Sakuya is confirmed for Touhou 14.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

To be fair though, if you make it all the way to the Double Spoiler stage, capturing all cards there is a cinch. It's unlocking the Double Spoiler stage that's difficult. I'd also say that Double Spoiler is easier than Shoot The Bullet, in that I actually managed to unlock Hatate but I have yet to unlock Extra stage in STB.

If you want really frustrating character unlocks, just look at the other two Prismriver sisters in PoFV. Just beat the most frustrating Extra "stage" in the series, twice over. No loving thanks.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Only in IN the requirement to unlock the solo characters is just to get the true ending for every team, and since IN is one of those games that doesn't belittle you for playing on Easy, you can just 1cc the game with every team on the lowest difficulty.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Just watch, HM will pull an IaMP and only have ten characters: Reimu, Marisa, Sanae, Byakuren, Ichirin, Mamizou, Miko, Futo, Seiga and the original.

Replace Mamizou with Kanako and that's basically the roster I'm expecting right now. It'd be pretty weird if the Bhuddist and Taoist factions got three characters, but the Shinto faction only got one.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Shinto has two characters, Reimu and Sanae. I don't think Mamizou is technically Bhuddist, either.

I always kinda figured Reimu as a protagonist and wild-card rather than an out-and-out member of the Shinto faction. There's also the fact that the official mangas portrayed her faith as more dodgy and flexible than strictly shintoist, too. For example at the end of Oriental Sacred Place, Marisa muses how her getting along and commandeering youkai is more similar to hermits than shrine maidens.

Also, Futo being confirmed as a playable character kinda dashes my hope of Seiga being in it. Oh well.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

And to the surprise of absolutely no one, Miko has now been confirmed as a playable character.

I'm guessing next will be two characters representing the Shinto faction, Sanae and Kanako probably?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Where do you get those pictures, anyway? I can't find them anywhere on Tasofro's site.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah, it seems like Reimu is the only character so far without a power-up gimmick of sorts. Even Marisa at least has every fourth special attack do extra damage.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Doesn't look like there's a new character introduced today, but this showed up on Tasofro's blog

What are the odds that aside from the final boss this is the entire roster? Or maybe they wanna keep the rest of the roster secret to surprise buyers, who knows?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Edit: ^^ Well look at me taking too long uploading poo poo to imgur.

Nope, nevermind, a new character has been revealed.

Looks like her Last Word is basically Snake's Final Smash from Super Smash Bros Brawl. Kinda fitting, really. Also, the entire Moriya Shrine is background characters, I guess Reimu really is the one and proper representative of Shinto instead of them.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

Wait, we get Nitori to round out the shinto team and Sanae gets stuck on background duty? What the hell?

Honestly, I can see why Sanae and Suwako got shelved. They were already in TH12.3, and this game's all about giving new characters a chance to shine.

What I'm really surprised about is that Kanako is just gonna sit back and watch and she's all about gathering faith.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

Does this make them bad coders, or is it a ruse to make sure that it doesn't get leaked?

Considering the translator chat about TasoFro's labyrinthine code a while ago I'm gonna guess the former.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It has Orin fist-pumping though, that one's pretty avatar-worthy.

Edit: Also, after Hisoutensoku's story mode I don't find this one too bad, but let's be real here, you don't play fighting games to beat some silly story mode.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

I button-mashed played Hisoutensoku for the story :colbert:

Meiling's story mode is a literary master piece and not exemplary for the genre as a whole.

On a different note, after giving every shot type a good shake in TH14, is it just me or is this actually pretty difficult? Granted, I thought the same thing about TH13 when the demo first came out so I dunno how my opinion will change in the future, but right now things seem to get pretty tricky even at the stage 2 boss.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

So TasoFro released a new patch on their site.

http://www.tasofro.net/touhou135/

It fixed that bug that caused the game to crash if you use Koishi's rose vine skill. I dunno if they changed/fixed anything else, but the final boss still isn't included in multiplayer, so I guess there's gonna be yet another patch in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Trihugger posted:

Is anyone else having problems getting these patches to work? I keep all of my Touhou stuff in its own folder, but the patch still tried to mess around in Program Files. That led to my computer freezing up and the patch not working. Similarly, the 1.01 patch never even asked where the game was located so it didn't do anything. It's not a big deal because I haven't had any problems with the unpatched version of the game, but I was wondering if anyone that didn't place the game in the default directory has had any success with the patches.

For the 1.01 patch, I had to put all my HM files into c:\tasofro\th135\ to make the patch work. Thankfully for the 1.02 patch TasoFro realized that's the dumbest thing ever and just lets you select a path to your HM folder.