Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
One tactic you can use is to pre-emptively bomb attacks that you don't like - for instance, say on Marisa's midboss attack Milky Way, you dodge normally and shoot down about half of Marisa's lifebar, then immediately bomb regardless of whether or not you're in danger, which will get rid of the other half and end the attack. The idea being you spend only one bomb on the card, and don't have to deathbomb or lose a life.

As long as you single out attacks for each boss that you don't like, and use all your bombs on each life before you die, you'll find that suddenly you can progress a lot further.

Finally, once you unlock Eirin or Kaguya's spellcards in Spell Practice, go practice them until you feel more comfortable dodging one or two of them. Kaguya in particular has some spellcards which are intimidating on first sightread but can be captured pretty consistently on subsequent runs.

EDIT: Er, sorry, was a bit late there. This still applies generally to all the other games, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I suppose I'll start by recommending the album Rhapsody of Okazaki Fragment, which is a collection of rock remixes of various PC-98 tracks.

...that's about all I've got.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I think this brings the fanart count for the Mystic Square stage 1 midboss to... three? four?

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Yeah, I do the same - stick mostly to horizontal movements, which are flipped when the screen is flipped horizontally, but are not flipped when the screen is flipped vertically. I also try to do the normal Touhou things of reading ahead (either up or down the screen) and trying to find areas where fewer bullets are congregating, and head into there. And, well, I can always just bomb them if the bullets seem to be walling me in.

Her last card is usually a non-issue since I basically just forcefully pretend the screen rotation never happens and just keep doing whatever I was doing beforehand (being sure not to run into the edge of the screen, or go too fast and run into the spiral wall ahead of me). It's still tricky sometimes, especially since I swear one time out of fifty she actually reverses the direction of the spiral wall while she's still shooting it.

So, after I practiced those cards a bit, I now try to save my bombs for her midboss attack Reverse Needle, and her second-to-last attack Reverse Bow, which I basically bomb the second I don't like the bullet spreads.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

NuclearPotato posted:

Sup guys. Have some 8-bit Touhou:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2VgWJ6t7c4

Complete with link to the game. (I haven't tried it yet, since I'm at school now).

Oh, hey, they finished that. I'd seen incomplete demos of that game that only went up to stage 2 or 3 before, so it's nice that it's done.

I'll probably just download the soundtrack or something; the game itself doesn't look all that great.

EDIT: Oh, wait, this is only up to stage 3 as well. I guess the designer got bored or something.

-

On a completely unrelated topic, I hope somebody can figure out how to make Ultra patches for the PC-98 games someday.

Leylite fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 29, 2013

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

e: Didn't want to double post but holy hell the difference between easy Shou and normal Shou is ridiculous. :stare:

Yeah, totally agree with that. Utsuho Reiuji's first two spellcards are also way, way tougher on Normal than they are on Easy; if you're used to struggling through the Normal version of her first spellcard "Atomic Fire 'Nuclear Fusion'" then the Easy version is very doable.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
There was a guy who made a PC-98 instrumentation version of the track, but a de-make might not be what you're looking for.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Kheldragar posted:

In PCB, why are Youmu's and the Prismriver sisters' final spellcards much easier than the rest of their spells? And for that matter, why is Youmu harder than Yuyuko? (I was almost able to 2cc it with the default number of lives :toot:; I captured Yuyuko's final spellcard with no lives and no bombs, and yet botched it halfway into her final final one.)

I'm not an expert on game design or anything like that, but I'll give it a try. Basically it's because bullets moving in straight lines, radiating away from the center of the boss, tend to be easier to dodge than bullets moving at oblique angles. This especially holds on Normal, when bullet densities are lower. However, on Lunatic the bullet density on the "straightforward" attacks increases to the point where they become very difficult to dodge in their own right.

There are some schools of thought which conjecture that ZUN designs Lunatic first, then scales down attacks for the easier difficulty levels. There's some evidence in support of that, particularly in this game (e.g. Lyrica's nonspells).

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Sara is the one true hero of Mystic Square - she beat up the other three protagonists, handily explaining why you don't see them for the rest of the game.

The other gatekeepers are OK too I guess.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
So, JynX, the author of the Len'en series of Touhou-like shmups, as well as of several April Fool's Day animated "remakes" of the PC-98 Touhou games, released another video this evening - "Re: the Story of Eastern Wonderland".

Essentially it's a combination of Windows remixes of Mima's stage theme and boss theme from Story of Eastern Wonderland, some new JynX portraits (that look almost exactly like all the other ones he's done, in ZUN-art tradition), and some re-imaginations and twists on the danmaku involved, without actually doing anything like releasing a playable game. The results are usually sort of hit-and-miss from a game-design point of view, but are at least well-animated.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

I understand why all the others are there except for Cirno. What powers does she have that can help with cheating at the game?

I think the generally accepted interpretation is that Tewi is using Cirno as a "mind shield" so that when Satori tries to read Tewi's mind, she reads Cirno's instead.

Par for the course, really.

Also, Eiki is apparently declaring the game "white", as in, all this cheating balances out.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I'm going to borrow a page from Terry Pratchett and say that you can't map a sense of humor.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
On a completely different note, here's a composer who managed to arrange Primordial Beat ~ Pristine Beat for the piano, and included the drum solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEAmhsDf0fU

The rest of their DDC piano arrangements are pretty good too.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Was it a 1cc? I coulda sworn I did a Hard run using continues and going for Eirin and it unlocked whichever last word required that.

Since you mentioned Eirin in particular, maybe you're thinking of Spell Card 210: Eirin's Last Word, which just requires that you capture one of her cards on Hard mode, not that the run be a Reimu Solo 1cc.

The Reimu Solo 1cc unlocks Spell Card 216: Marisa's Last Word.

Zemyla posted:

I thought the difficulty always peaked at stage 4, no matter the game.

That's mostly true, except (in my opinion) UFO and Ten Desires' Stages 4 aren't as hard as their Stages 5 (either the stage or the boss). Grain of salt and all that, though.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
There's apparently going to be a PC-98 style Touhou fangame released at the next Comiket entitled "Adventures in Inferno":

Game website
Soundtrack preview on Soundcloud

I'm sure the profiles probably make the story 100% clear, or at least as clear as any Touhou story ever is, anyway.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Here's some oddballs to add on top of what will no doubt be a large pile of remixes:

37467524's "Little Princess" arrangement for piano
37467524's "Primordial Beat" arrangement for piano
(of course the rest of their works are well worth checking out too; they did the rest of DDC and a few other miscellaneous tracks)

HertzDevil's "Little Princess" arrangement for PC-98 instruments
(ditto, other PC-98 arrangements are pretty good)

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Marisa also flies around as the extra boss of Fairy Wars without needing her broom. So it's definitely part of the uniform, just like the giant witch hat.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

el dorito posted:

has she ever gotten a speaking line?

Apparently she said "Let me go!" once (see Eyewitness Reports), so she can talk. Presumably most of what she wants to express is easier said with smiles and radiant bullets than with words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
It's OK, she still has some extra lives left. Or a continue if it comes to that.