Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Since this is 14.3 now I wanna know what 14.5 is.

Too soon for a new fighting game, right?

I want a battle of the bands between the Prismrivers, the Tsukumos, and that punk band Mystia and Kyouko started.

I'd rather a fighting game that managed to put as much of the cast in as is possible, just to revel in the utter :spergin: that would result.

Or having Youki, Rinnosuke and Unzan in the fight, that'd be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

I said it before, I'll say it again, it's damned criminal Yuugi hsn't been in a fighting game yet.

Yuugi vs Meiling has been a perennial wish of mine, I will admit.

Kind of a pity that Zun hasn't put anyone with a blatant Korea background in, although seeing that anyone from another Asian country (Seiga, Kokoro, Yukari, possibly Miko if you consider his/her educational background) with the exception of Meiling gets Japanese names it might cause an issue.

What do goons think of Gensoukoumuten's works? S/he tends towards rather sappy stuff, but I rather enjoy the worldbuilding and character interaction.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

HellCopter posted:

Gensokoumuten is great. He's managed to draw Touhou comics with OCs and not make me mad about it, which is impressive enough, but all his art is really expressive and his world is neat.

My only Touhou wallpaper:

The only one subtle enough to use in my dorm room without feeling weird about it.

Nice.

I have this as my phone screensaver. Tots good.

Oh, does anyone know if Terajin released any doujin? S/he does great art and the cutest goddamned children, but I don't think there've been any stories released.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Artificer posted:

Is that a Touhou related one or is that just birds?

They're part of the Night Sparrow Love story by Mitsumoto Jouji. Mokou and Mystia are just talking and eating and generally enjoying each others company when Mystia's sparrows get bored.

They... recommend different scenarios. Ain't subtle.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Would you?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Yo, any of you fools know of a large repository of non-h touhou stories? Preferably reasonably quickly translated and recent?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

Gensokyo.org

Doesn't seem to have a selection much different from touhouwiki.net

Thanks though.

Shinmera posted:

The ICARUS manga was recently translated on danbooru.

Korean internet blocks danbooru :argh:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Nope, get the usual crap by the KCSC.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

There is no explanation for why I find this as amusing as I do.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Wild and Horned Hermit is basically all about Reimu's crazy "get-faith-quick" schemes no matter how much it wants to pretend to be about Kasen, it's basically a must-read for Reimu fans.

She does end up getting owned a fair bit, although Kasen explains that you can tell when this is about to happen because she gets cocky as hell.

Sukuna's house is the most adorable godsdamned thing, it's like a luxury hamster hotel.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

Part of that is due to how bad Shinmyomaru's art is in-game, even for ZUN. Fanartists figured out pretty quick that her original design works fine if drawn with human proportions:

Probably a reference to Dracula, who emigrated to England.

Oh sweet, Terajin art.

Also yeah, if Remilia was around about 500 years ago she would have been given serious schooling in languages provided her mansion is a good indicator of family wealth. Elizabeth the first knew most of the major languages of the era (Save for Russian, and her Italian was 'adequate'). As what I presume a noblewoman, Remilia should know at least three or four.

Doesn't explain her knowledge of modern English, but eh

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 23, 2014

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Clarste posted:

It's not like we made up the term. As I recall it was used in some existing translation of the Issun Boshi story.

The out-of-universe explanation for Remilia favoring English is that it's probably the foreign language most familiar to ZUN. The in-universe explanation would be that Scarlet is an English word?

Huh, I always thought it was French. Turns out it's not the same pronunciation - loving Blackadder!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

EoSD's romanizations are actually pretty bad, but they're so ingrained in the english fanbase that basically nobody cares. Sucks for Chirno, Meirin, and Frandoll.

EDIT: And I guess Rumia should be Roomia but gently caress that noise.

I thought it was Lumia and Chillno?

e: That's what I get for not scrolling.

As for Reimu-centric stuff, you can always try the artist who did Oriental Sacred Place. He's quite good at scenario, and there are a few peripheral doujin he did before ZUN commissioned stuff from him.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

My touhou-fu is weak, I can't for the life of me figure out why Reimu refers to singular people with collective pronouns.

'S pretty balla, though.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Namtab posted:

If you were gonna fight a touhou, like in a fist fight or a wrestling match or w/e, which would it be and why

Rinnosuke, because while he's down I can steal his poo poo. Kusanagi sword is mine!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I can only imagine how the net reacted to Setz.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

On further inspection, Nue is listed as 'Did it for the nookie'.

Had sex? Sex for what? Had detention to have sex?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Best Gaijin Oni.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

That poo poo right there looks like something straight out of XCOM - Apocalypse.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

He had a direction?

He had art?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

She occupies all five team superpositions.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I wonder if ZUN ever considered donating part of his revenue or con revenue or something into a Shinto preservation fund or shrine upkeep? He certainly seems fond enough of the Japanese socio-religious scene.

e: I may be wildly overestimating how much Touhou stuff actually nets him, mind you.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

AdorableStar posted:

Sometimes I wonder how some Touhous get dressed. You know, how does Yuugi or Suika put on any shirt without it being ripped?

Sometimes I wonder where the hell they get their clothing. Who tailors their stuff to western lolita fashions in a Meiji period Japanese setting?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

There are these things, called buttons maids.

Remember that most of the bosses are nobility, plebeian :colbert:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I think the main difference was that Kantai collection had the fanservice and blatant nerdbait already built in.

As opposed to Touhou, wherein every single character was designed with the sex appeal of Margaret Thatcher.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Well, I wouldn't go that far. ZUN does pander to the fanbase a fair amount, otherwise we'd have had Hijiri's brother Myouren as boss of UFO.

Still, the few males we've seen are a pleasant representative. An old master, a reformed youkai and a know-it-all shopkeeper that one of the protagionists constantly teases.

Also that loving turtle.

Aliginge posted:

can you think of anyone in Touhou designed by ZUN to be sexy or pander to nerds?

Depends if he personally ok'd Hijiri's idle sprite in HM or not.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I thought her interview pointed out that Hijiri was stressed precisely because people worshiped and revered her, as opposed to following the tenets of Buddha like she'd been asking them to?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

I really dont know what to think about THAT game other than being creeped the gently caress out by it. Touhou is a silly game with girls in it that (I think) started with little to no pandering to the fans and was later sexualized to a horrible degree by gigantic creeps. Katanai seems to be a silly game that started with bucketloads of pandering and is sexualized to a horrible degree by gigantic creeps.

What I am trying to say is that I am angry about anime girls games.

:goonsay: The difference is that the creeps in Touhou don't actually have any real say in how the product is produced.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

What's the Consensus on FELT? I like the music well enough, but the constant engrish makes me cringe.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

gently caress. Just realised Chikage put out a doujin and nobody can even find a scan of the thing beyond the cover page.

Real pity, his genderswaps are incredible (Pity he's now going straight to romance now, though).

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Poor kid's never gonna make it into a touhou cameo, then.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Are you being facetious, or has he actually mentioned opening a bar?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

She's seen beers like you people wouldn't believe.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

No silly hat 3/10

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

They gotta stash their anal beads somewhere.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

DrPaper posted:

Hrm, so how do they assure law is upheld and criminals are punished?

The humans would prob toss troublemakers to the Youkai, and the White Wolf Tengu seem to be the Tengu police.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Mitsumoto Jouji seems to have it in his head that Seiga and Kasen are the 'Touhou police'.

I think it was more because he had that uniform fetish for a couple of months, though.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

What's this Shin Getter Neo Getter stuff?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I keep my touhou stuff in a hidden folder, my shame must never leave the virtual world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I was gonna say, Touhou is basically if the world was magical, japanese and everyone solved arguments with epilepsy-inducing foosballs.