Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Still waiting on a smug motherfucker to chime in with "I patch my Touhous to play on Ultra difficulty because Lunatic is too easy for me".

Ultra modes are real poorly balanced. Not much thought went in to them, and in some cases they're debatably easier than the parent game (PCB for instance).

No, the real smug person challenge is 90FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Speaking of drama I think somebody a page back indirectly insulted PoDD. It's really one of the best games in the series, I have no idea why people are so down on it.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

But, uh, best in the series? Did we play the same PoDD, because I remember an unbalanced game with a ridiculous difficulty ramp come the final two stages of story mode.

PoDD lunatic is nuts and unfair and 30 minutes of pure adrenaline. None of the other Touhou games test your dodging that much. It's one of the most entertaining games I've ever played.

I think the "insult" was you saying you hoped Jynx would skip to SoEW. I was being silly and dumb, sorry :shobon:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
PoFV Lunatic is also a rush but only if you take out the ability to spam L2 attacks like there's no tomorrow. On shrinemaiden there was a silly challenge to do Lunatic, no-focus, constant shooting, no charge runs (bombing on x allowed) and I got a kick out of that. It's sort of PoDD strictness meets PoFV polish.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

That's actually a legit dodge, but the AI is explicitly invulnerable at times. Basically it's like Extra mode, bosses have a time where you have no chance of hurting them and afterwards they go down relatively quickly. Each time you die that timer becomes lower - Shiki 3rd round is 3:00, 4th round is 2:45 if I recall correctly. Also Shiki's first round is actually unwinnable without Aya or Medicine, since her evasion is perfect and the bullet speed and density is boosted.

Basically bosses do cheat but it's not too insurmountable.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Clarste posted:

What's Reimu doing in what's otherwise a collection of second-to-last bosses?

Reimu is the second-to-last boss if you play PoFV as Komachi so techincally she belongs there :spergin:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Ranpire posted:

I dunno, what needs to be fixed here? Demo scoring strategies aren't usually very representative of what will happen in the full version. That run is amusing, and might have a good short term score, but ultimately ends up with only ~50k PIV (the eternal god stat for score) and no resources left at the end of stage 3. And even though he earned 9 lives, he never actually goes above three in stock, because getting them that way requires spending your bombs and suiciding all over and walking a razor edge on the boss attacks you can't spare bombs for.

Sakuya can abuse her bombs for graze farming and net a much higher PIV, I think. Reimu can... ... ok, nothing really, Reimu sucks for score given the current mechanics.

MarisaB is literally broken and scoring depends entirely on bombing. If you play no-bomb it's an amazing game but the balance issues are... nontrivial.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

The Stage 5 boss's gimmick is just cruel. :stonk:

Yeah aside from that it looks nice, a good return to genuine difficulty. But Stage 5 quashes my desire to do a Lunatic no-bomb run.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Oh man Raiko's theme has a legitimately sick drum solo :stare:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

I still haven't found a single drat polka track. I mean, we have metal Touhou, orchestral Touhou, folk Touhou, we even have Lady Gaga Touhou- so where's the drat polka?

I can't find any touhou IDM or touhou shoegaze or touhou powernoise, these remixers need to get on that poo poo.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Mazed posted:

I'm not sure why anyone would object to any of this. You can't expect an artist not to want to expand on what they do sooner or later.

Thing is, ZUN's almost entirely self-taught, so (as I see it) it's very hard for him to change his style after all these years, considering that he only knows how to write a very specific kind of music. I applaud him for trying to experiment and add a bit more rhythmic work, different instruments, that sort of thing, but I wonder exactly how far he can take it.

Of course, the outsider art thing is also what makes his music interesting, because he happens to be good at the weird micro-genre of poppy orchestral midi-anthems that he writes. That, to me, is what makes his music more interesting than arrange stuff which just slots his melodies into already established genres.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

PerOlus posted:

Zun tweeted tonight that he's considering the overseas market:
https://twitter.com/korindo/status/371114738916147200

I see his Asahi reserves are running low.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Kheldragar posted:

Stage 4 EoSD Lunatic is what kills me. What, I have to learn how to avoid these books? :suicide:

Literally nobody can do the green book spam consistently, and I'm speaking as someone who has about 50 hours of EoSD lunatic no-bomb attempts under his belt. Stage 4 aside from that is mostly static memorization stuff that doesn't pose much of a threat (aside from the retarded bullet-cancelling section right before Patchouli).

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Ranpire posted:

and there's no player shot proration

I didn't know this was a thing at all.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

dranxis posted:

Speaking of EoSD, I'm trying to 1cc it with Reimu. I'm getting closer, but Reimu just feels sluggish to me in this game. I'm a little surprised that most players use ReimuB in EoSD (or at least, that's the impression I've gotten).

ReimuB has ridiculous damage potential due to shotgunning but also has a wide shot which can help with some annoying spam sections. Her bomb doesn't do much damage though.

Also midboss Sakuya's movements are easily memorizable (the spellcard has 2 variations based on where she spawns at the start, i think?). It is not hard to kill her with a straight shot-type.

vv Sorry, I meant ReimuB and I'm a dumbass.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 12, 2013

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Niel posted:

Oh, um, I'm new to the games, and I've been starting/fooling around with Imperishable Night (I tried Ten Desires, but it bothered me that I couldn't auto-collect the ghost-things) and I still haven't been able to 1CC Easy Mode. Does anyone have any general tips for someone just starting out?

- Don't set lives to maximum, play on default. Trust me on this. If you have a lot of lives you will get cocky and pay less attention to hazards.
- Study replays if you don't know how to do a pattern or a section of a stage or really anything that's bothering you.
- Seriously study replays and try to follow their movements. Do this until you can reproduce the movements well enough on your own.
- Play aggressively - try to kill off big enemies as soon as possible, by staying under them and getting close if possible for extra damage.
- There are a few basic things that bullet hell games rely on. One is aimed bullets - in Touhou games these bullets are aimed at the center of your hitbox so you can just keep making small taps in one direction and take care of these without flailing around the screen and crossing paths with potential hazards.
- Plot out a path in your mind before you start moving. DON'T MOVE IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO (e.g. if there's a bullet coming towards you or if there's an enemy you want to get under)
- Don't try to avoid bullets, try to go into the gaps in between them.
- If there's a dense cloud of bullets coming towards you, get close to the edge of the danger area and keep tapping down, then fit through gaps as they appear. Avoid sticking to the bottom at all costs.
- Learn the uses of both focused and unfocused movement - do not stay focused the entire time.
- Don't look right at your character. Look ahead for things which are going to intercept your path and figure out how to get around them.

Really it's all memorization-based in the end.

I know a guy who started out Touhou games by watching this video and pretty much grinding out the Extra stage. (Now he's a ridiculously good player, like RIDICULOUSLY good.) It might seem overwhelming but being able to turn memorization into consistent execution will make your skill level increase very quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRhg81Xv5Is
Watch this replay and pay attention to the details - it will teach you the game's logic.

He also has a walkthrough of IN Normal mode here which may be helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0mFyMVDc7M

Uh, the rest of it is sort of hard-to-explain stuff that will come to you as you get better.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 12, 2013

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
You kind of have to be a weirdo to clear all the games on Lunatic, to say nothing of scoring :v:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

HGH posted:

Speaking of which, the latest LP of the games here was playing on Lunatic and was just about to start TD on Lunatic before it just suddenly stopped, which sucks because I was looking forward to that game in particular. I think people who haven't should check it out before it drops into the archives forever, which should be soonish.
EDIT: And of course as soon as I post this there's an update.

I second this. Tsym is a pal of mine, and he puts lots of effort into his LPs. Definitely worth watching.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I decided to come back from a shmup break to beat PoFV as all characters on Lunatic. It's been pretty easy up until Yuka.

Jesus Christ Yuka is slow, she gets matched against Reimu for ST6 and Aya for ST7, her attacks are super bad against the AI... this has taken me so many attempts just to get to Shiki with lives to spare. Is she considered to be the character with the hardest story mode? Because nothing much holds a candle to it, even Tewi only took a couple hours to get a clear with.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I beat the game with Aya without dying. Everything went down in one minute. Didn't even take damage on the 7 and 8 bosses.

Yuka is too slow to misdirect poo poo, get out of the way of Eiki's hotdog walls, or dodge Reimu's yinyangs. Fast movement is almost always better for dodging in a shmup. Also she's poo poo at killing the AI, I've had ST6 Reimu survive past 3 minutes. I can get to Eiki with 4 lives if everything works out, since she's really good for scoring, but the Eiki fight is just terrifying. If you get hit once it totally throws off your rhythm of L2s, and you've pretty much lost the fight. And even 4th round Eiki makes you survive for 2:45. I can do that easily as someone with more maneuverability, Yuka is just useless in that regard.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 5, 2015

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

amuayse posted:

I've been playing Shoot the Bullet and I find it quite fun for a spin-off.
My main question is does Aya have any friends? She seems to be universally hated/annoying by everyone else in Gensokyo

In Harry Potter, is anyone friends with Rita Skeeter?

There's your answer.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Ok this could very well be the best Touhou game so far, if ZUN manages to make the final 3 stages any good. The only slight criticism is that Doremy's first 2 boss spells are sort of simplistic.

Otherwise, holy poo poo :stare: The number of playability improvements (making grazed bullets visually distinct is particularly brilliant) are insane, and unlike DDC the shot types are actually balanced. This is so awesome :dance: Scoring is gonna be super fun, and there's no oversupply of resources like in TD/DDC.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
This looks really bad from a game balance standpoint. Changing the bomb fragments to lives? What were you thinking, ZUN? I'm very hesitant about playing this, speaking as someone who loved the demo.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Only real complaint I have is that there's no Spellcard Practice.

:wtc:

He could have just let you choose and practice individual segments, I thought that's what the segment system was there for...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Illusionary Joururi is in my top 5 Touhou tracks ever. Otherwise it's nothing special.