Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I have not read any of these comics. I should probably fix that problem.

I just found that one wrestling Touhou comic, I'm reading that too. Dear lordy its long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Hedera Helix posted:

Was it Mountain of Faith that saw the series really take off in popularity? I always thought that it happened around the time Imperishable Night was released.

Well it was probably around the time between PCB and IM or shortly after IM. I recall getting a lot of people into touhou with IM, so you are probably correct. IM being rather easy but awesome was probably a great help, along with the ever increasing number of awesome touhou songs and whatnot.

Though, once again, I might have a different perspective. I became a fan of touhou through the music, not the games, so I dunno.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
drat, all the new things in Hopeless Masquerade are sweet. Though I'm still dying here from not knowing who else is gonna be in the game. Oh well, Reimu for life, I guess.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
That is a lot of touhous and motorcycles. I do not think I'll be needing any more of that particular sort of picture for a good year or two now.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Christianity themed touhou, especially for Hopeless Masquerade. I'd like to see ZUN's twist on it and how the other major players react.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The bell/chime things in the background obviously mean something. What are those winged things? Butterflies, or just weird looking flowers?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Yuyuko's new name would be Yolanda.
What about Youmu and Sanae?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
You don't pronounce the e in Flandre's name, right?
Argh, thinking about character name pronunciation reminds me of Cirno. Threw me for a loop the first time I actually heard her name the way its supposed to be said.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ElMaligno posted:

Marisa is Marisa
Reimu is Reimu
Flandre is Flandre
Chemestry is Kemestry because english is loving weird
Furthermore do you know what I think about this debate?

You may continue being stupid thanks~

I'm fairly sure nobody was debating, people were just making up names for people.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Ugh, reading some of the comments on the touhou tag team wrestling comic on danbooru... well I don't know what I expected. So many people complaining about the dumbest stuff. I probably shouldn't have expected anything more, though.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I hate new game speculation, because it brings all the Mima fans out of the woodwork.
...not that I don't like Mima fans! Of course I like those guys. You guys are great. But yeah, speculation, and then people getting their hopes crushed. It gets old fast.

Good to see Sakuya's back, though.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Clarste posted:

Does anyone actually seriously expect Mima anymore? I thought it was a running gag.

Oh, they're still out there. One such individual was the one who alerted me to the new game. He was pretty excited about how "touhou was going to go back to its roots".

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

nielsm posted:

So he wants another Breakout clone? :haw:

Knowing them, probably.
Can't wait for the demo, though. Its gonna be good!

Anybody here going to ACEN?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Elliotw2 posted:

No, based on the last game with unlockable characters you need to 1cc all stages on lunatic with all characters.

I'm horribly reminded of the ridiculous things you need to do to unlock the Last Words in IN. Ugh... at least most of them are too hard for me anyways, but still.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

KataraniSword posted:

I think he was talking about Double Spoiler, where you unlock Hatate by clearing her spell cards in the stage past the EX stage, in what's already considered the hardest game in the series.

I know, I was just saying that IN had some hard Last Word unlocks too.
Personally I've never beat Double Spoiler. I think it was the spider girl's spells that thoroughly beat me.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

HGH posted:

Speaking of music, I stumbled across this remix of Mystia's theme done in the style of Snake Eater, which was pretty cool (despite not understanding half of the lyrics).

Yeah, that one's nice, but the Engrish is just a little bit too much for me. Its good for a listen or two, but I certainly wouldn't be putting that on any of my playlists.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
God, all these reveals are getting me hyped. Byakuren looks pretty sweet.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

SirPhoebos posted:

I like Miko's cape-it looks like Nobunaga's from the SW series. Maybe she's going to talk in third person? :shobon:

I love Miko's cape too. She looks hilarious and kind of cool.
Also, Koishi? Really? Well, I'd say I was disappointed with the cast not including Utsuho or Kanako, but I'd be a gigantic liar. I wanna see how Koishi's mechanics actually work, though. Sounds gimmicky.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Miko's cape is awesome, I'm not gonna lie. I think I'm in love. I just can't get over this goddamn cape.

Anyways, the 3rd stage boss girl looks pretty cool. I'm not a big fan of the other 2, but at least the songs are good! That is the most important part.
Also jesus, how many bomb parts did the 3rd boss chick drop? Like 8? Probably more than that, I think.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
drat, getting popularity to 100% for a last word is pretty much impossible.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
It seems Kagerou is the most popular of the new characters, judging from the amount of fanart I see of her. Though to be honest, I like her too. The mermaid chick is kind of cool too, I guess.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Roland Jones posted:

I like SSiB actually, despite and in fact partially because the Watatsukis are frustrating and terrible, because the entire plot is Yukari screwing them over. Even her giving up in that one fight is just her losing the battle to win the war, as a distraction for Yuyuko. It's great because, after all those chapters of them being untouchable (and outright cheating in (more than?) one case), it's revealed that they were getting played the whole time. Definitely has a lot of problems and isn't the best, but the ending is pretty great.

Yeah, I honestly don't get why people are so upset about the lunarian gals being so "strong". They didn't really play by spellcard rules, and it also revealed a lot of stuff about the moon. And even with all their brilliance, the Lunarians still get pranked by Yukari and Yuyuko. They're still perfectly fallible characters who have their flaws, though they sure act like they're perfect.

Then again, that whole superiority thing might be why people don't like them. Eh.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

CommissarMega posted:

Just popping in to say I've found an English-subbed, Japanese-dubbed version of Fantasy Kaleidoscope 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap5910bTGLA, and now I have the worst case of blue Yin-Yang orbs waiting for Part 2.

Oh cool, thanks. I haven't really payed attention to how the anime-style Touhou videos have been faring, honestly. There can't be enough of them, though. :D

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

CommissarMega posted:

And something's just occured to me- since we're seeing the SDM Incident now, could there be hope for a Subterranean Animism vid in the future? Wanna see that Parsee fight so bad.

Seconding this. Seeing the Yuugi, Satori, and Utsuho fights would be awesome.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Falls Down Stairs posted:

When she can't decide what to make for dinner she fights herself and the Sakuya that wins determines what she makes. True canon facts yo.

yoinked from tumblr

Ha, that is probably the best way to settle disputes ever. I can just imagine a huge deathmatch of Sakuyas just to figure out what's for dessert (and then Remilia asks for something random and screws it all up).

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Well, after playing a bit of Hopeless Masquerade, I can safely say that Miko is pretty fun. Though to be honest, she's kind of hard to actually do well with. I might pickup Byakuren or somebody else in the meantime. Maybe Koishi, though I'm not sure how well I'd actually be able to play her.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Well, my main issue is that I play rather defensively, so I tend to have issues getting my cape levels up and keeping them up. I'm not so good at rushdown. I prefer fighting in mid-range, not doing keep away, but not getting up in people's faces either.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I... actually haven't really played her all that much, yet. I'll have to see what I can do with her, thanks for the suggestion.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
God dammit, why is Kokoro's theme so good? Just when I thought I was done listening to it, I find this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47DQeFOsjEY
Fair warning, its Techno, so... yeah. Its a really good remix though.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Yeah, since Necrofantasia and Necro Fantasy are both similar, I just think that Necrofantasia/Necro Fantasy are Ran's theme and Night Falls is Yukari's.

The 3 fairies ranked pretty low, that's kind of surprising.
Border of Life beaten by Hartmann's Youkai Girl? Koishi's sudden popularity is pretty obvious, huh?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Ugh, playing HM is kind of keeping me down. It feels awfully clunky and imprecise, to be honest. I much prefer Soku over it. I just can't get excited over it. It looks nice, though, but thats just about it.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Yeah, pretty much everything in Touhou is derived from some mythological thing or another. Japan has a lot of weird mythological monsters/beings to pull from, so I doubt ZUN is gonna run out anytime soon.

If not he can always start stealing Western ones. Greek god touhous... why did I just imagine that?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I don't think I've ever beaten a Touhou on anything higher than easy. And I'm totally fine with that. Well, I don't think PoFV counts... does it?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I personally thought PoFV was pretty easy. I don't understand why its the only game I do well on, and I use the word "well" lightly. I can barely beat Easy on most other games, and that is sort of soulcrushing because you have to beat EoSD on normal to get a proper ending.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

GyroNinja posted:

The point is that image is everything when it comes to being a magical old dude. Sure, you can claim to be a one hundred year old half demon until you're blue in the face, if you don't AT LEAST have a sweet looking mustache no one is going to buy it.

That makes me wonder what Rinnosuke would look like if he had Unzan's facial hair. Actually, no it doesn't, that's a terrible idea.
I'm curious, is there any official art as to how Byakuren's brother or Youki Konpaku look like? I haven't read all of the written works, so I'm not sure if something would have shown up in those or not. I've seen plenty of fan-art, though.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Well, there's a new touhou soccor, I guess. Though it only adds MoF characters to the roster...

quote:

Except this. So much waiting and finally it's done. Of course that means it'll be totally awful instead just to curb my expectations.
That actually looks pretty good. I'll have to keep my eye on that as well.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Musical note bullets :allears:

I have high hopes for this game.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Apparently the final boss reverses your controls and makes you bigger during the fight? At least, thats what I'm hearing from a few of my friends. Haven't seen the game myself.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Gah, finding any good quality source of the new stage/boss themes is proving to be fruitless. I'll just wait until somebody uploads them to youtube, I guess.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Kheldragar posted:

Disposable income is where my last pony avatar came from, and where I come with this one, hastily made.

Don't SOAP it. :barf:

Don't lie, you obviously got yourself a pony av just to fit in, right, SMcD?
:tinfoil:

Also, I'm really hope ZUN makes some effort to get his games out here to the west. I'd like to have an easy way of supporting one of my favorite game series. I'm sure he could do something through Steam Greenlight, Touhou should have the fanbase to get something through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Ammat The Ankh posted:

By the way, they posted the full version of the Art Scroll they gave to ZUN at AWA.

http://totaku.deviantart.com/art/AWA-Touhou-Scroll-Project-397181272

Wow, the full thing looks pretty cool. I can even recognize some of the artists there. I must have a problem.