Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Volt Catfish posted:

Wow that red haired girl's design is loving awful.

She's supposed to be a headless youkai thing. Which is why her neck is covered up. And she throws heads at you. Not sure if that makes it better, but that's what she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For the record, her title is "Loup-Garou of the Bamboo Forest" and her name has the character for "wolf" in it. So she's a werewolf.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Wait what's Momizi's appeal if we have another wolf character that actually has official art now :tinfoil:

Tengu pride. She's got this whole "soldier" thing going for her.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HM's boss is named Hata no Kokoro. Kokoro is her given name.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Japan has a long history of mermaid stories. And headless women. Only the werewolf seems particularly Western.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

vgperson posted:

It should be noted that the character titles and song names combine Japanese and English terms for the monsters. Wakasagihime's title uses "ningyo," and her music uses "mermaid." Sekibanki's title uses "rokurokubi," and her music uses "dullahan."

Kagerou's title uses "loup-garou," and I haven't seen her song name, but I'd assume it uses "werewolf" if it follows the same pattern.

EDIT: Yep, called it, "Lonely Werewolf."

Of course, "loup-garou" is not Japanese.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Meh, just playing it safe.

Anyways, you guys remember how one of Remilia's palettes looked like Flandre's, so you could pretend she was playable?

Well you can do that again. Also, Mamizou's stage is depressingly cameo-free.

I've only seen a single play through on the campaign so I don't know how it works in stage select, but from I saw there was a day version of her stage where all the background tanuki were pretending to be other people (a random assortment from all stages).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

It's still a problem that the game is kind of half-finished.

I'd say it's at least 3/4 finished. They patched away most of the major bugs already, and the main thing missing is Kokoro's full moveset.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dinky Duck Race posted:

I like how Nitori has become the arrogant piece of poo poo they said she was in Symposium of Post-mysticism.

Wasn't she already an arrogant piece of poo poo in Subterranean Animism? Most of it is her insulting people behind their backs. Except when Yuugi calls her out and she suddenly gets very timid.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

TL;DR summary: Futo had her husband kill her brother who shared Suwako's namesake. Later, Tojiko murdered Mokou's grandfather out of revenge. The Daoists may be the most metal in Gensokyo, but I doubt they're the most popular.

For the record, there's also a theory (not taken very seriously by historians) that Fujiwara no Fuhito was the same person as Hieda no Are, because the Fujiwaras owned a village named Hieda, and they were the exact same age. Hieda no Are is of course Akyuu's original life before she started reincarnating. But even if they weren't the same person, Akyuu probably knew Mokou's father personally since they hung out in the Imperial Court at around the same time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dinky Duck Race posted:

Eientei is a moon criminal asylum set up by a selfish murderer who gets away with it because she is some kind of Super Moon God.

Kanako's also trying to actively cultivate a dangerous place to live because it's easier to gather faith when people are worried.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HGH posted:

Meanwhile, our intrepid human protagonists are too busy spending their time on productive activities to gently caress anyone over:

(This is probably from FS chapter 7, but I can't find that so it's probably from the draft version)

Yeah, that's from my draft of FS 07, which is apparently making rounds on the internet somehow? Not entirely unexpected. It makes a bit more sense in context, but it was pretty fun to type that anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

Well there are only three new characters so far...there's not that many choices yet.

Four. If you count Hopeless Masquerade and Kokoro.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

Hey Clarste you know what I would appreciate? If you told us when you've finished translating a new chapter. As it is, I only check the Touhou Wiki every other week or so to see if there's something new.

Oh. I sort of figured it would be annoying if I did that. Your input is noted.

Namtab posted:

Of course, please include some sort of description of the premise so we don't yell at you.

See, people are ready to yell at me already! Uh... it's about everyone chasing down Remilia's lost pet. Hijinks ensue and Reimu ends up giving squirrels alcohol to see what happens.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

People didn't like seeing their favorite characters lose. Also nobody read Cage in Lunatic Runagate.

Speaking of which, you should also read Cage in Lunatic Runagate. If nothing else, the Mokou chapter ("The Eternal Flame"). That's probably my favorite stand-alone Touhou story.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, I honestly don't get why people are so upset about the lunarian gals being so "strong". They didn't really play by spellcard rules, and it also revealed a lot of stuff about the moon. And even with all their brilliance, the Lunarians still get pranked by Yukari and Yuyuko. They're still perfectly fallible characters who have their flaws, though they sure act like they're perfect.

Then again, that whole superiority thing might be why people don't like them. Eh.

It's not like everyone in Gensokyo and their mothers don't act equally arrogant in their pre-fight banter. Actually, I've always found it kind of interesting that people seem to identify more with maneating youkai who spend every night partying than with a technologically and spiritually advanced society on the moon trying to fix all their problems...

Also interesting that Reimu basically tried to kill everyone on the moon by throwing kegare ("impurity") at it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

So really it's all who's the biggest jerk; Yorihime won over the heroines because of her racism and perceived superiority,

Hey, you don't blame the player for spamming bombs. The whole thing is actually structured almost exactly like a shooting game, where Yorihime is the protagonist and she spams bombs all the time instead of trying to dodge (just like me!). Although admittedly this is kind of boring to read.

Also, the Lunarians have a lot of justification for their actions in Shinto beliefs. Impurity (kegare) is a rather important concept in Shinto, so I think they seem a bit more palatable from a religious perspective than they do from an ethnic. I mean, it's a simple fact that they're right about what causes death and all that. Although it's also true that discrimination against kegare has been a very real social issue in Japan.

Anyway, I think the Watatsukis are flawed but interesting characters who are at the very least more sympathetic than people like Tenshi.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Tenshi's fine, though? "I have no idea how good I've got it since I've lived well all my life" and "I want to do the cool things the people I watch always do" are a heck of a lot more relatable (especially in modern society) than whatever the Watatsukis are.

The only truly unsympathetic Touhous are probably the various fairies. And they're basically kids so who cares what crazy shenanigans they get others into.

*Terrible comparison was made that's better off gone*

Tenshi is a terrible person.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jun 10, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

Is it really worth exploring the motivations of blank character slates that can only be filled with fan interpretation?

Is it really worth completing ignoring the plot of the game she served as the villain of? Fans can do whatever they like with her, but canon Tenshi is simply a terrible person. Also, Touhou canon kind of exists...? That may come as a surprise to some people, but they actually do have plots and motivations and even dialog in the games.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

It's fine if you just don't like Tenshi, but don't pretend she's worse than any other Touhou. Especially since from her point of view, she was honestly helping.

I only said she was worse than the Watatsukis, didn't I? I'll agree that most of the earlier games featured equally destructive villains (I think Yuyuko stands out, but then again she was also characterized as killing people for giggles). The later games have generally toned it down though, unless you count the surprisingly "metal" backstories of the Taoists. They haven't really done anything in Gensokyo though.

I have no plans to hide the fact that I just don't like Tenshi though.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 10, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

InfiniteJesters posted:

One of them threatened to flatten the Bamboo Forest if Yukari didn't go along with her demands.

Why on God's green loving Earth are you measuring the exact weight of their souls (with 0.1% margin of error) here, again?

She was doing it to protect her home from invaders. Maybe overkill, but she had some sort of reason. Tenshi... was trying to blow things up because she was bored. Not that that's a particularly uncommon motivation.

Also, Toyohime, um, didn't. It was a threat. Tenshi knocked down the shrine to get people's attention before they knew she existed.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

InfiniteJesters posted:

Whatever. Just please refrain things like compare her to real life mass-murdering lunatics/jerks in the future in the thread, okay? Most of us want to have a chill time here and I'm pretty sure a reasonable number of people will take issue with you making the above comparisons on account of it being a pretty flamebait-y statement.

The OP has this to say on the subject of excessive gravitas:

...you know, I hadn't even thought of that. I suppose I'm the person who brought up Hitler, aren't I? Sorry.

Honestly I think of Tenshi as closer to that annoying rich girl who's always in teen high school movies. Not sure why I brought up real life tragedies. That was a horrible idea, in retrospect.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hokuto posted:

The subtitles on that Touhou anime video are filled with basic mistakes, which is pretty embarrassing when considering that literally everything is written on screen. Is there a way to fix Youtube captions without just re-uploading the whole thing yourself?

I doubt it. Seems like a bad idea to give your average Youtube commentator the power to make changes to someone else's video, even if it's only the captions. Unless you mean it's your own video?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hokuto posted:

"If I remember correctly, the whole incident began with that purple..."
"Besides, Yukari, wasn't it you behind that whole incident...?"

Yeah, I got a good laugh out of that one. Somehow they didn't realize that Yukari was her name.

Although I shouldn't comment too much because I've made more than a few questionable translations myself in various places. Sometimes you're just in a hurry. And don't know Japanese.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hokuto posted:

The crux of the issue is that the terrible translations you read are never going to be redone with a better translation because the translators figure, hey, it's been done, why should I revisit this when I could be doing something new? There's even less reason any site hosting the crappy translation would bother spending the effort to replace it after the fact. Inertia always favors the speed subber, and that makes speed subs actively poisonous to the rest of the community.

Really depends on the format. A lot of text-only translation work gets hosted on wikis, so there's nothing really wrong with publishing your rough draft and editing it later (as long as you actually edit it later and don't rely on others!). I mean, no one here has every line of SoPM memorized, do we? If anyone cares enough to check something they'll go to the wiki and see the revised version. The new game patcher thing uses the exact same idea, although it remains to be seen if it'll really catch on.

The permanent things are video files and manga. In terms of videos, Touhou has a lot of fan videos, but instead of distributing files things tend to be hosted on youtube. Which introduces a lot of redundancy. There's no "official" version being promoted by youtube, there's just whatever your link or search led you to. So while there's some first-mover momentum, it's not impossible for the preferred version to change. I think you'd have to put a lot of effort into that though, by spreading links and whatnot.

As for manga, which is probably most relevant to me, it's definitely true that most sites just host the first version they get and leave it at that (and there are a million bazillion indistinguishable manga reader sites, wow). So I try to sit on it for a few days and consult someone else who knows Japanese. My "rough drafts" have a tendency to be leaked, but so far no one's actually put them anywhere especially public so it seems okay. I'm not too proud of my earlier work though, and those'll just sit there forever.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Supposedly it's a favorite among arrangers. Inertia probably plays a larger part at this point though.

Hahahaha, am I reading that last category right? Now people can vote for their favorite shipping as well?

It used to be explicitly shipping, but then some people complained so they relabeled it as the more generic "Partner". Which I choose to believe refers to them performing comedy routines together.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 12, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Aliginge posted:

I dunno, some of these names are unrecognisable as Touhou characters but they'd make loving incredible racehorse names.

Village Gauze Watertight
Star Bear Yong Yi
Taken Up River Castle
Spirit Road Crow Sky

and my personal favourite

Small Umbrella Good Many

:v:

Star Bear = Yuugi Hoshiguma (her name really does mean Star Bear; it's awesome)
River Castle = Nitori Kawashiro (although I'm pretty sure the other half was supposed to be "two birds")
Spirit Road Sky = Utsuho Reiuji
Small Umbrella = Kogasa Tatara (who else?)

Not sure about Ms. Watertight. Futo? Maybe?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 13, 2013

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hokuto posted:

"Village Gauze Watertight" would certainly be Murasa Minamitsu (村紗 水蜜). Mura = Village.

Huh, I searched touhouwiki for 村 but it didn't come up with anything. I mean, that doesn't excuse me for forgetting that Murasa existed, but that's an odd and useless search function.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Youmu doesn't have a hat, does she? Tenshi has a hat and sword, but the sword is made of magic insted of steel so I'm not sure if that counts. There are a few other swords, but they're generally hatless...

Momiji? I guess? Although that's certainly not a fedora.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rectus posted:

like a Touhou with a detachable hat.

Koishi drops her hat in one of her animations in Hopeless Masquerade. Then she catches it 4 frames later. That's a fraction of a second of hatlessness, a record for a normally behatted character!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Aww. :sigh:

See I was thinking it'd be fun to draw a short story comic involving time travel and paradoxes that'd wind up with about 4 copies of Sakuya coexisting at once-- the "present Sakuya", one from the future, one from the past, and one from the future-Sakuya's past that is still in the future for the present Sakuya.

One of her skills cards in Soku is "Time Paradox" where she sends forward a time clone to hit the enemy with a dash attack. One of her spellcards in IN is "Deflation World" where she summons the past and future of all her knives into the present. And don't get me started on "Imaginary Vertical Time". So, do whatever you like.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

So it seems that although she herself cannot travel back into the past to change it, she can summon stuff from the past and the future into the present? Instead of you going to the past, you bring the past to you? What if she tried summoning herself?

Well, presumably that's what her "Time Paradox" skill is, although it didn't get as much flavor in the description.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

As requested, I am now informing you that Wild and Horned Hermit chapter 17 has been translated and is available on the Touhou wiki. And maybe some reader sites. I dunno.

Premise: Marisa finds a strange rock, Reimu utterly fails to cash in on it. Maybe a tiny clue about Kasen's past.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wild and Horned Hermit comes out every other month on the 10th (delayed about a week this month) and Forbidden Scrollery comes out every month on the 26th.

You should find it shocking though, since WaHH used to be almost a year behind, and I believe it took about 6 months for the final chapter of Oriental Sacred Place to get translated. Despite the Touhou Reputation, historically the official manga series have been relatively neglected.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Takoluka posted:

Do you honestly think the general otaku population cares about the story and lore of a series with a nearly all-female cast? Let's be honest here.

Well, even so, you'd think they'd want to read stories about cute girls snarking at each other and getting drunk.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Technically, writing the manga is ZUN's job now. That's where his income comes from, and according to his tweets he spends most of his time in and out of meetings with the artists and his editors. At some point a few years ago, he quit his job as a programmer and became a full time Touhou writer. And he also composes music and makes games in his spare time.

Just a weird thought.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

Wait, ZUN quit his non-Touhou related job that he mentioned he was early his first day for? (I don't think it was programming anyway)

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to, but yes, he has no day job other than writing Touhou now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

legoman727 posted:

Um... Volt, are you okay?

How is Hopeless Masquerade anyways? I was absolutely terrible at picking up IaMP and SWR, but that's probably cause I'm terrible at fighting games in general.

I'm not nearly skilled enough to say how it stacks up as a competitive fighting game, but the animation is well-done, the characters are cool, and the story is surprisingly coherent (for a fighting game).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The picture is a bit wrong/confusing though. First of all it doesn't mention that C and Z are equivalent to (A+B) to (X+Y) which kind of makes the controls simpler than implied. You could think of them as two special buttons.

Also, religion doesn't affect equipped skills at all. It only affects your basic X and Y bullets, and for Buddhism also allows you to charge up your B melee attacks for a bit more hitstun or something. It's idiosyncratic for each character, but as a basic rule of thumb for how religion affects your bullets: Shinto = spread/homing, Taoism = speed and power, and Buddhism = short range but dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, in any case it was clearly rushed out the door to meet the Reitaisai deadline. Tasofro's claimed on their blog that they'll continue to support it though, so I think an expansion (or just a lot of patches) is likely.