Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just found this incredibly awesome video of a 3D danmaku battle between Yuyuko and Reimu and I don't think its been posted yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Zwrx9a9Lo

The creator also made videos of Marisa vs Flandre and Reimu vs Remilia which are just as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why is Momiji so popular? All of the other unimportant midbosses are around the 60's but she almost broke into the top 20. I'm so confused. :psyduck:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

Touhou fandom loves characters who take themselves too seriously because it's very easy to make fun of them. And it doesn't hurt that despite being canonically a wolf, Momiji's hair makes her look like a big fluffy Spitz.

But does she take herself seriously? As a midboss without dialogue the only thing we know about her is that she and Aya dislike each other and Hatate thinks she's pretty cool. I suppose it's just another example of how the Touhou Fandom basically invents personalities for most of the characters. I'm just more confused about how Momiji is so much more popular than the other midbosses.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Weirdo fanartists love dogs and Momiji has report with a already popular character and group. As well as coming from a popular game.

Contrast to a bucket, a pair of isolated goddesses, a librarian and a ghost consort or whatever she was.

She also actually comes up in the official works some, too. Koakuma does too and she's pretty on up there.

I haven't read much of the official works outside of some random chapters of WAHH and Oriental Sacred Place, so i'll take your word for it. I'm pretty sure Koakuma doesn't appear at all outside of crowd shots though.

Also, Tojiko is clearly the best dialogue-less Mid-Boss. Because even though Futo killed her she doesn't care at all, since being a ghost is hella cool. :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So on a whim I started reading some of the music CD's and the manga's and they're actually surprisingly good. But now i'm upset that Maribel and Renko will probably never appear in the games because they're pretty great. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

leather fedora posted:

I wouldn't exactly say that...

Really? I know that Maribel has an obvious connection to Yukari and that her power would provide an easy explanation for her and Renko to pop up in Gensokyo. But Touhou never really stuck me as having a strong enough emphasis on story to ever have that happen. Or has there actually been some foreshadowing in the games that I have missed?

Edit: Also Komachi is kind of badass in the manga's. She's pretty cool.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 11, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'd fight Koishi because after she wins i'll just forget all about it and then i'll never have to live with the shame of being beaten by a little girl.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

gnome7 posted:

And the full image is a glorious adventure to look through. :allears:

This is pretty drat great. But I feel like i've seen this art style before and I don't know where. Also I'm disappointed that Yuyuko isn't a language teacher that speaks entirely in food-based metaphors.

(Kokoro has an Iron Man mask :allears:)

Edit:

Clarste posted:

I sort of half-heartedly follow the artist formerly known as Littleshrimp. He/she/it has a fairly bizarre sense of humor, but an nice "intuitive" understanding of the characters that I find interesting. They completely ignore fanon and just go with the impression they got from canon material and end up in a very different place. Desiredriven is probably one of my favorite fanworks even though it doesn't really have anything to do with Touhou, technically.

Oh, so that's where i've seen their art before. Is that game worth playing? The character portraits look good but the game itself looks like it could be pretty bland.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 26, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

It's based on Homestuck, for anyone who hasn't played it but was thinking about it. The puzzle sections won't make any sense unless you've read through that and a lot of the jokes are very Homestuck-y.

I knew it was based on Homestuck and i've looked far enough down that rabbit hole to understand the setting and stuff. I just thought that because it was a crossover between Homestuck and Touhou it would be kind of bad. Those two series have some of the more creepy fandoms i've seen but apparently it actually has good characterisation or something. So i'll probably look into it at some point, when i've got nothing better to do.

Edit:

Clarste posted:

I've never actually read Homestuck and just assumed the puzzles made no sense because that was the general atmosphere of the thing.

The puzzles don't really make sense in Homestuck either.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DrPaper posted:

Which Touhou would be the best at basketball.

Yuyuko just kills all the other players and wins by default. Check and mate.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

So which is worse, Bronies or Touhou fans?

Are these Touhou fans part of the Touhou fandom? This is an important distinction that needs to be taken into account before I can submit my answer.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm pretty sure MinusT uses Blender and is just really drat good at it. I'm not too knowledgeable about Blender but my friends used it before and I had no idea it could make videos as good as the ones MinusT has made.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AdorableStar posted:

Here's a question though: What's the worst Touhou song? My vote is for Rumia. If there's a themesong less memorable than that, I can't even remember it well enough to post it here.

The worst touhou song is Necrofantasia, if only because its popularity makes it overshadow Evening Star which is a far superior track.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

I would assume there's some sort of constable in the Human Village, and the Tengu have some sort of regimented military state, but neither would have jurisdiction over Gensokyo as a whole. Conflicts between factions are handled by sending Reimu to beat people up.

Most of the time you don't even need to send Reimu. She just kind of shows up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

A Meat posted:

The problem with sports in Gensokyo is that you need to have a sport where it doesn't make a large difference if everybody cheats at it.

Cheating doesn't matter all that match when everybody does it. Danmaku is proof of that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Impossible Spellcard implies that they aren't cheating the rest of the time.

Look, there are varying levels of cheating. Seija just got maximum cheating because she stole some stuff or something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WaHH is great because it features Komachi semi-commonly. And Komachi is the best. :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I thought there were no males in Touhou because Zun finds guys harder to draw than girls, and he drew girls bad enough already. And then when his skill improved artstyle changed he thought it'd be weird to put them in since there had already been like 10 games out with an all female cast and he didn't want to break tradition.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoH0W7pJAOM
Basically anything from RD-Sounds honestly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmV6iZyuh9Q
This is also pretty good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

The FMW3 trailer just dropped and it is literally MAXIMUM HYPE OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD.

Were Yuyuko and Youmu facing the random ghost mid-boss from Ten Desires. :allears:

Also, I suppose this answers my question about whether they were going to be adapting SA, and it looks like it's because they're not adapting UFO fully yet, which is probably for the best.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thoughtography is vaguely like Hermit Purple, so therefore Hatate is actually one of the best characters. :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

I hope they take the stage in IN where you fight Reimu or Marisa and make it a big brawl between two different factions like Zeuth vs Zeuth.

Because that'd be the best. :allears:

It needs to happen solely so that "Bitch, get out of the way!" can worm its way into the script.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You know, i'm a little disappointed that Scarlet team and Ghost team will probably get less emphasis than the other two teams because although Magic team gets the best line in the game I think Ghost team has the best dialogue overall. I just want to see Yuyuko and Youmu's epic midnight snack tour across the land. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

I believe the story is that he heard anecdotes about people paying high shipping prices to import the games and thought they were being ripped off by the middleman so he decided to make it easier.

Zun seems like a pretty cool dude.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Okay so Parsee is a really weird boss and for the life of me I can't tell if it's because she's super bugged or just hard to figure out. Assuming everything works as intended, as long as she's in her field:

1. Certain characters can not damage Parsee, or otherwise do reduced damage. It seems mostly random: Reimu, Alice, Sakuya and Sanae did 0 while Marisa and Youmu were nerfed. If it weren't for Alice, I'd have assumed it was player characters only. Likewise, if it weren't for Youmu I'd have also thought it's every character has ever scored either first or second place on a Touhou popularity poll. It can't be a "well normally you do 0 damage but Marisa and Youmu are super strong" because Reimu is WP level 7 and has like six weapon upgrades on my end so she's crazy strong. So I don't know! :psyduck:

I may be wrong about this but I seem to remember that in one of the polls Youmu got the most first place votes even though she didn't end up first or second overall. So perhaps that contributed?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

It might be intentional, because I can't see any other reason to have her break 100% accuracy.

Also I should probably post these here too.

Thanks for these. Man everything about FMW 3 looks so good. :swoon:
But I can't play it because my computer is currently a piece of crap and I find it too difficult to play un-translated games. :(

Anyway, it's probably more suitable to ask this here than in the LP thread, where the discussion began, but did Alice get any improvements? It was mentioned in the LP that she didn't get much improvements in the 2nd game so I was wondering if that was remedied, or if they're saving that for the next (and final?) game.

Edit: Damnit, I just understood the reference in the title of Yuyuko's theme. I'm too far down this rabbit hole. :negative:

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 21, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder what FMW4 will cover, and who will be the final, FINAL boss.

If I know anything about Touhou fangames (i know nothing) the final boss will either be Grimoire-Alice, or Maribel. 100% guaranteed.

I'm just disappointed because i've realised they're probably not going to include Ten Desires. The Taoists would make such good villains. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

FMW4 is slated to cover UFO at the very least. The ending has Mima talking to Probably Shinki so MS is finally getting its show, and Yuuka also chats with Almost Certainly Byakuren so we'll probably get the final Yuuka fight too. It's very likely they'll end up covering TD and HM as well, as they purposefully left Koishi's plot hanging. There's also PoFV, SWR, and maybe HT to throw in there somewhere, and hell who knows we might even get a bonus DDC/ISC scenario for the inevitable special edition. And that's just games; it's entirely possible we'll see cameos of the novel characters in there somewhere.

I honestly half expect the final boss to be Tenshi.

More seriously, I feel like Shinki or Shiki are the most likely final bosses. Probably Shinki though, if only because Komachi doesn't have enough menace to be penultimate boss material. And besides, fighting Satan is an appropriate finale for any RPG.

I'm also more hopeful about TD being adapted now. Miko would be the best anime super-villain.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: The real question is how the hell they'll bullshit Eiki into taking a vacation to join the party.

Tenshi is killing ghosts for no reason other than because she's bored and wants to get in a fight. She could use a good lecture to set her straight. Although this could prevent Komachi from giving her best lines, which would be a shame.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blitz posted more FMW tracks in the SRW thread, so here they are if anyone missed them.

BlitzBlast posted:

I, uh, already did. It's missing two songs though, one I completely forgot about, and one I didn't even know existed even though it was apparently in the demo.

Also for some weird reason FMW3 only has 54 total save/quit messages. Contrast FMW2, which had over 100.

Also, did the Palanquin ship battle theme get posted yet? Because I can't seem to find it.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 23, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

It was included as a bonus track for the FMW2 OST so BlitzBlast probably didn't bother to rip it.

It's pretty great.

Thanks. I was wondering why that track was in the FMW 2 OST, I just assumed it had something to do with Nazrin since it's based on her stage theme.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

I rewatched the ending to check, and what do you know. Mima tells the person she's talking to that a bunch of people are coming to rescue her. I thought she was talking to Shinki before, but yeah that definitely seals it. Though I don't really know of any other ancient magicians from the outside world so I guess it might be an OC?

Alternatively, super plot twist: it's Miko.

EDIT: The more that I think about it, the more I think it works. It even gives everyone an excuse to fight Byakuren, they think she's Shiro!

I hope so. Like I said, Miko would be the best villain. Although, I don't know if she's really powerful enough to be final boss material. She's definitely got the style and personality for it but I don't if she's enough of a threat. I mean, she's not all that strong is she? However, they could just finish the main plot with her and then have Eiki come in to lecture everyone about how they're awful at their jobs and are going to Hell.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Just to compare notes, and I don't think it's worth tagging here - Shiro wants to protect Paradise. Going up to the moon is a bad idea because it invites trouble in paradise by poking a hornets' nest. Bringing in modern technology is a bad idea because it disrupts the harmony of paradise. Paradise must be protected and preserved at all costs, and that means eliminating all foreign influences. That word Paradise keeps getting thrown around, so either it's an OC, or it's a character that uses that term.

Oh, so Paradise is Gensoukyo and Shiro is somehow the Hakurei Shrine God.

Edit: (Don't know whether this speculation should be spoiled but i'll do so just in case) Shiki might also fit as well, I suppose. From what I remember a lot of her lectures are based around how youkai should act like youkai and humans should act like humans, and everyone should just do their drat jobs so that the balance between youkai and humans can be preserved.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 26, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

According to their twitter, the next patch for FMW I comes out 9/5. General release is slated for 9/27, and the OST will probably hit shelves at the next Winter Comiket, 12/30.

And then going by their usual schedule, FMW4 will hit 2016. :negative:

Look at it this way, now you've got just enough time to finish LP'ing the rest of the games. :)

Also, the joke in Yuyuko's song title is that after her demotion to Stage 1 boss in TD it apparently became a joke that in the next game she will be demoted to nameless NPC, which is what 'Person A' refers to. So yeah, it's a dumb fandom thing.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 29, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Reimu was pissed that there was still a hole between this world and the Netherworld, Yuyuko told her that Yukari was the one who made the gate. So Reimu/Marisa/Sakuya barged into Yukari's place, but she was sleeping(Hibernating) at the time. So they beat up Ran and come back a few months later, beat up Yukari so Yukari promises to fix the problem.

Judging by how the Netherworld is now a popular vacation spot in Gensokyo, I don't think that worked out.

Hey, if the barrier goes up how will Youmu be able to do the shopping and how will Yuyuko be able to leave to tell everyone obtuse metaphors vaguely related to the current incident? :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 30, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And even when she is solving incidents she spends her time dicking around and teasing Youmu, and when Youmu is unavailable she just trolls whoever is in the closest vicinity.

Yuyuko is the best Touhou.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Let's be fair that's pretty much true of sixth stage bosses as a whole. Byakuren aside, I guess.

Nah. Yuyuko is heads and shoulders above all other stage 6 bosses in her dedication to trolling the hell out of her subordinate. The only one who even comes close is Eirin, and that's only because I forget whether her teasing of Reisen mostly comes from that non-canon manga.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Apparently Youmu has developed the defense mechanism of never listening when Yuyuko talks. There's a chapter of CiLR from her perspective and it's pretty much "welp, I have no idea what's going on and I'm sure no one's going to tell me so whatever."

If you look at the games where's she playable without Yuyuko she's always ignoring her and running off on her own. I guess she learned after IN.

Well, it's less "ignore Yuyuko's orders" and more "leave before she can give any orders". And by SWR Yuyuko just lets her run off anyway, she will lecture and make fun of her once she gets back though.

Edit:

Pureauthor posted:

One of my favourite conversations is in IN where Youmu is trying to convince Keine they're just passing through peacefully and Yuyuko is spouting a stream of nonsense that just gets Keine even more annoyed.

It's even better because the nonsense is in fact one of Yuyuko's obtuse metaphors about how she's already figured everything out and probably could have avoided all of this if she didn't want to ruin Youmu's day. Ghost team has the best dialogue. :allears:

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 30, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

I don't think you can say this when Magic Team exists.

It's even better in SA when Marisa treats the entire exercise like an RPG dungeon crawl.

Magic Team may have the two best lines in the game but Ghost Team is consistently the greatest. If only because of Yuyuko's constant trolling of Youmu and everyone around her, despite it becoming increasingly clear that she has somehow figured out everything about IN's plot.

However, Magic team is indeed the best in SA. Reimu and Suika come close though, purely because of the Yuugi fight.

Edit: Marisa and Patchouli is pretty great as well, just because of how unhelpful Patchouli is and how she doesn't even bother to explain to Marisa what's going on until the final boss.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So, as someone who knows next to nothing about Touhou fangames, were any of those actually any good?