Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

You deserve to have someone supportive of your hobbies!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

WarpedNaba posted:

Man, I'm not supportive of my hobbies. Anime and vidya are guilty pleasures for me.

Only reason I still go after them is because the only other hobbies around here are hooning and rugby.

i too also feel the pain of being in new zealand. except, not it's a pretty chill place tbh

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Got some cute Touhou stuff from the Animate in Shibuya today, probably gonna use the Aya case for my bus card!!

I also found physical CDs so I bought the Mountain of Faith OST cause that's my favorite one (PC-98 ones weren't around sadly). I'm looking to find the Gensou Shoujo Taisen You/Ei game CDs and OSTs before I leave too

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

leather fedora posted:

The Gensou Taisen games might be hard to find nowadays. I’d suggest the used doujin games shops like Suruga-ya and Mandarake. Akiba-Hobby should also have the PC-98 OSTs.

Yeah, this was at a Mandarake. I've still got others to go to so I'm hopeful!

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

it's cool to see more VAs doing touhou characters

like my favorite part of touhouvania 2 was having rina satou voice reimu and i just wanted to curl up and shrivel, she's so good

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Just wanted to say thanks to the folks who gave me some advice on where to look for stuff, managed to find all the Gensou Shoujo Taisen games after a lot of trawling through both Osaka and Tokyo!

and some other stuff

I decided to get Mountain of Faith OST cause that was my favourite one, and it was great to find an Unlucky Morpheus album too since I was really into them back when

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

300 yen a piece for the labyrinth of touhou games...

god I'm jealous

lol yeah we were at the shop and someone brought up 'is touhou labyrinth here? what was the circle name'

'3peso' i said after recollecting it

'3 where the heck is that-- suri-- right next to sanbondo? oh they're right here'

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

leather fedora posted:

Mountain of Faith OST? But that's the actual game you bought.

Glad you were able to find it though. It's a little unfortunate the circles themselves aren't making any cash but that's just the nature of the second-hand market. Finding older games and music is more wholesome than using them to fence exclusive Comiket merch at least. And Suruga-ya's established themselves as the place to get doujin stuff used. Mandarake stocks it too but they're better for commercial merch and figures.

Oh wait yeah I bought the game, I couldn't remember whether I bought the music with the UM CD

Still!!

And yeah if I had more means to do it like online I'd funnel the money straight to the devs (maybe when the complete box set comes out)

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

TheNamedSavior posted:

It's funny how cute Mokou is in that image for someone that spends 95% of her time dying from lack of nutrition. And literally NEVER baths.

well cute is a superpower right

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I don't know about Hollow Song of Birds in particular but imo my #1 newbie advice for Touhou is definitely always just bomb if you remotely feel like you're in danger and need to get out of trouble

In these games you typically get 2 bombs per life and if you feel like you should never bomb you'll inevitably waste bombs per life never using them and get more frustrated and can't progress as far

I guess other general tips would be something like:

- Touhou games have a "focus" button that causes your character to slow down and makes their hitbox (the glowing ball on their bodies) visible, this is really useful to thread through dense patterns so use it frequently
- The patterns are really chaotic and intimidating, but you only need to pay close attention to what's immediately around your character unless there's a special gimmick
- Unless the specific pattern punishes it, you're generally expected to be close to the bottom of the screen for maximum time to react to a pattern - some games also have a red indicator of where the boss is at the bottom of the screen which helps encourage this behaviour
- Try to figure out whether a given bullet pattern is random (has a fixed pattern no matter what you do) or is fired towards your position; in the latter case you can do what's called "streaming" which generally involves starting on one side of the screen and inching slowly to the other side to corral the bullets along. Patterns often deploy both and figuring out if there's a homing pattern can help you deal with a given situation

and

- Just pick whatever difficulty is most comfortable for you and never feel the pressure to play on something harder if you don't wanna!!!

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

otter goast for life for me too

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

baww she still cares :3

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

lmao i'm glad i'm not the only one who looked at blue palutena and thought

'this looks a lot like mima'

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

is reimu first on reddit because she wears red

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

aww Kasen looks so content at the end

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i haven't seen mazeran art in a while that takes me back

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

windows vista has gone to gensokyo now, because no one believes it exists

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

FractalSandwich posted:

That's to be expected. What do you think happened to Windows 9?

um, its the Strongest windows, clearly??

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

seems perfectly ordinary to me

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Is that the first time they've used G Free in FMW? I was really happy to hear it.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Golden Battler posted:

If you're following the LP they use it as the map theme of the final gaiden chapter

Oh, thanks for the heads up! I haven't been following the LP since I usually wind up playing the games myself, but I think I was on an early enough patch of FMW4 and it crashed on me and I hadn't picked it up since.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

oh so that's what the temples on your head mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

this one is reminding me more and more of yuugi's horn looking like the final fantasy summoner's