Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Raenir Salazar posted:

Any Lunatic LP's of the Touhou games that don't skip the dialogue? I know its mostly fluff that barely characterizes anyone beyond one or two quirks for fanon to latch onto with their talons but c'mon, I figure there's gotta be something content wise to it to make it worth reading.

Because I'm bad at the games and can't watch the dialogue myself even on Easy :shobon:

All the dialogue is on the wiki (with the exception of the endings, which I would imagine the LPs cut out anyways).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

HellCopter posted:

I'm trying to buy IOSYS's new album (which they say can be shipped overseas) but I can't quite understand the instructions.

http://www.iosysshop.com/hpgen/HPB/entries/2.html#foreign

Am I supposed to e-mail them, or use the support forum? If there's a way to just buy these in a downloadable format that would be okay too.

Yeah, looks like you send them an e-mail to that "shop" address in the FAQ. As far as downloadable goes, I can't figure it out with stuff I can't access at work, so maybe someone else can translate that bit.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think Osaka Japanese even comes close to matching with anything in America, sociologically or historically. America overall is just too different from Japan in that area.

Now, if you investigated BRITISH accents, you could find one that kinda sorta matched I think.

The Excel Saga manga translation localized the one character who "spoke" (his dialog appeared as floating text rather than speech bubbles/actually talking) in an Osaka Okayama accent as a North England/Geordie accent. The anime, having been localized by the Texas-based ADV, gave him a Texan accent, though.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Clarste posted:

Cirno is pronounced something close to "cheer-no". It sounds vaguely Italian to me, but I don't know a word of Italian so take that with a grain of salt.

I seem to recall that one of the earliest fanarts Dr. Sunshine did was of an Italian Cirno, so you might not be alone in that?

Clarste posted:

In short, while it's currently impossible to change the fandom's perception of her name, ultimately it comes from translators making stuff up.

Related: The fact that everyone refers to Alice's PCB stage theme as "The Dollmaker of Bucuresti", because whoever first translated it couldn't be assed to put ブクレシュティ into English like the rest of the title instead of just transliterating the katakana and thus putting it into Romanian.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Clarste posted:

He used to have a job as a programmer at some other company

Taito, to be exact. He worked on, among other games, Graffiti Kingdom, and even slipped in Reimu as "Flying Maiden":

Takoluka posted:

Depends on what game you're playing.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Raenir Salazar posted:

Can anyone help me find the original track/its original name of this Meiling song in this video?

According to the comments section (and the credits at the end of the video), "Perseus" by Hitomi Shimatani.

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 16, 2013

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Trihugger posted:

My childhood is falling into the land of fantasy. To be fair, the Super Scope has been dead for decades so it's not a big surprise it landed in Gensokyo. Did anyone else play the hell out of this insane Nintendo peripheral or were most of you actually sane during childhood? Battle Clash and Metal Combat were eye-bleedingly good. And by that I mean that your eyes would start bleeding if you played with this thing for too long.

I would have played the hell out of it, but my Super Scope stopped functioning fairly soon after getting it.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Maximum Chenergy posted:

So some people were talking about a new touhou fantasy kaleidoscope a while ago and weren't able to find it, I just stumbled across it on nicovideo. I don't remember if the first one had any voice acting but this one doesn't. It makes the sound effects feel kind of out of place.

The first one didn't have voice acting by default. Someone redubbed it after the fact to provide their own voice acting.

And, yeah, the lack of voice acting does make it a little weird.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Clarste posted:

Oh. I sort of figured it would be annoying if I did that. Your input is noted.

It would be appreciated purely because Comics by Release doesn't list it unless it's done by the Gaku-Touhou guys, apparently, so I never know when any of the official stuff gets translated (since I only ever check the Comics by Release list).

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

A particular favorite of mine by FLIPFLOPs that I always like to call out is the "[Season] of the Residents of a Touhou Town" series, which are slightly AU slice-of-life stories that imagine Gensokyou as a big, Tokyo-like city. Unfortunately, the scanlating of "Autumn" was never completed, presumably because the translator didn't want to deal with mahjongg terminology.

gnome7 posted:

Then there's also the Finnish 4koma everyone in this thread reads religiously.

Speaking of, in case people didn't just randomly check the link like I just did (and haven't been keeping up with it on their own like I haven't been), there's been three new comics since it was last mentioned in the thread. The Koakuma one is pretty amusing.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

JackMackerel posted:

I wonder how far ZUN got into planning out Myouren, though.

He probably didn't have to do anything. He just said, "Her brother was Myouren", and at least a subset of the Japanese audience went, "Oh, okay, gotcha".

Admittedly, I don't know how pervasive the stories about Myouren are, or if it's one of those things where "the Western student of Japanese culture knows more about Japanese culture than the Japanese do" (the Myouren picture-scrolls are apparently notable enough to have been covered in my "Art of Japan" class).

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

HGH posted:

Nah, that's not what happened. IIRC, ZUN planned the final boss to be Myouren, then he went "Wait a second, an old man final boss? That's not right at all! I'll just make up a sister for him." and that's how we got Byakuren.

I had known that but momentarily forgot to take it into account as far as "planning out Myouren" was concerned. I guess if he had originally considered that, he might have done a rough character design or something (or maybe not, since he was literally planning on putting an old man in there to mess with the fans, so he could have just put the historical character in).

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

JackMackerel posted:

Not surprised, ZUN and the guy who does Umineko are friends.

I'm still trying to supress the urge to go "Touhou didn't exist in 1986!" whenever I see that one scene in Umineko...

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~
When I had time to keep up with it, I read the official stuff and fanworks alike. I just haven't had time to read either recently.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Clarste posted:

Is there any context to this or did they just randomly start posting pictures of anime characters?

As far as I understand it, someone tweeted at them about something anime-related, thinking that they'd either give some BS answer or not understand, only to have them give a legitimate response to the tweet, which then led to other people tweeting anime stuff at them and eventually to photoshops of anime characters holding the granola bars.

[EDIT] Here's the ANN article about it: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-04-30/start-your-day-off-right-with-some-granola-bar-social-media-fun

VVVV Yeah, there's no guarantee that the person who is answering the tweets actually knows what they're talking about, but they apparently at least can come off as if they do.

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 8, 2014

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

HGH posted:

No, I think those didn't have any problems.

ZUN did (apparently) get mad at the one with professional voice-actresses (the aforementioned one where everyone's stuff gets stolen) because it was initially marketting itself as "the Touhou anime" and he felt that people would misconstrue it as an officially sanctioned project and it would detract from the games being the main focus, so he made them change their name and call attention to the fact that it was a doujin work.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Daedalus1134 posted:

Yeah, they flat out said it's coming out in English at 13:11. I know that's always been the assumption, but that's never actually been stated officially anywhere right?

I had thought it was announced around the same time as the announcement about the games being carried on the Japanese Playism site, but maybe that was just conjecture when people noted that Playism publishes on Steam now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

SmokaDustbowl posted:

clownpiece day what up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrH71-VISFQ