Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

'Surpassed Primatehood'? Hahaha.

It's arcane, but the term "primate", in addition to being synonymous with "simian", may also denote a certain high level of priesthood as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

HGH posted:

Hey kids, would you like your very own solid gold Cirno? Well now you can get it for the low, low price of whatever the hell this says:

Haven't read Japanese in awhile, but I think it says 10-mon yen. The Japanese counting system is a little different - they separate every 5 digits instead of every four like the rest of us, so one mon is 10,000. So it should be 100,000 yen, which is about $1000. Sounds about right for a solid gold Cirno

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I see no one's posted this yet: "wer (dafuq) iz mai new 2hu?" 201-3: 'Double the dealing, triple the anticipation' edition

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Oh my god, this loving video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLJjI18uPFY

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Volt Catfish posted:

I guess I was told misinformation about it breaking your existing patches. The patch being kinda crappy is still legit though.

Give it some time. They were pretty straightforward about what to expect. Honestly, just the fact that dialogue in 14 has already happened has exceeded my expectations. The rest should slowly trickle in over the next weeks and months. Most importantly, it establishes a new paradigm.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Nah, Remilia's got the right idea here: "The bad guys always lose? Bullshit! More like, the victors write the history books! Imma gonna win!"

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

GyroNinja posted:

I prefer to believe it's who you'd most want to star together in a buddy cop movie.

Gotta be Reimu and Yukari then.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Rectus posted:

Maybe they'll invent something new, like a Touhou with a detachable hat.

Or a detachable head?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

But she doesn't have a hat, just a very large ribbon!

Wrong, her head IS the hat.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

a cartoon duck posted:

Can Sakuya turn into a raptor?

Yes, but not the dinosaur, the F22. She is literally a transformer.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Decoy Badger posted:

While arrangements are being slung about, could everyone post the saddest, most tear-jerking arrange of Parsee's theme they have? There seems to be a really melancholy core to the song that nobody really seems to express.

Doesn't involve her theme in any way, but KaMs' video on Parsee, as usual, cuts straight to the heart of the matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs9fwWIe2hI

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

The thing about Emotional Skyscraper and Nuclear Fusion is that they are incredibly hard to gently caress up. It takes genuine skill to screw those two up into a form that's not really listenable, and it tends to involve squirrel DJ voice or shrill japanese girl voices if they manage it.

THIS IS A CHALLENGE I CANNOT IGNORE INVICTUS! I am a musician with GENUINE SKILL, and I promise you, I CAN gently caress THAT MUSIC UP!

BEHOLD!

So listen! And prepare your ear drums for MERCILESS SQUARE WAVES BOMBARDMENT

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

It's not THAT confusing. I laughed at the 1up transforming Into a giant robot.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

HGH posted:

I don't really get this. I mean there's so much side material and books nowadays. Is it that bad for some people to want to discuss the characters?

Talkin bout Touhou the Video Game in ADTRW cuz Games was too good for it.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Volt Catfish posted:

More importantly, what about the translation for Double Dealing?

Use the one from the patch center. http://thpatch.net/wiki/Touhou_Patch_Center

I think I remember you saying you didn't like it or didn't trust it or something, but give it a shot. I've been playing with it all week and it works brilliantly. Spell card names, stage names, music titles, music descriptions, the manual, endings, interface and score numbers, pretty much everything's there now. Only stuff missing is ancilary stuff like the title on the title screen and a few images from the credits maybe.

It had a couple of rough spots (first time I fired it up with the full version it was a buggy mess that crashed constantly), but a few revisions later (particularly with the 8/20 revision if you haven't tried it since then), it's pretty solid, and will only get better. They're working on a GUI, and support for Vsync and other goodies.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Nyaa posted:

So there's English, British English, and Yorkshine English, which is good?

One of the cool things about the Patch Center is that the translations are fed directly from the Wiki. This means first of all that anyone can contribute and try to improve any translation. Second of all, it means that you can see all of the translations readily from the wiki. So I'd say just check out the ones you're interested on the wiki, and pick based on that.

Now, having said that, Yorkshire English is clearly the correct choice.

code:
Kagerou: I guess I'll have to be trouble!
Reimu:   I don't show any mercy to rampaging youkai!
vs.
code:
Kagerou: De'ar's no otha choice bur ta mek eur gabble?
Reimu:   Ah won't 'ave enny mercy on youkai makin' eur gabble!
EDIT:
Man, now I'm really digging into the Yorkshire patch. It's beautiful!
code:
Sekibanki: Skeg upon mi noggin' 'n despair!
Touhou Thread 7 - Skeg upon mi noggin' 'n despair!

Justus fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 26, 2013

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

ZUN has always been a huge inspiration to me, artistically, and one of the things I really admire about his work is his ability to take a short melody and mix it up, time after time.

Theme of Eastern Story is such a short, simple melody that I wanted to mess around with it a bit, and this is what came out. Hope you like it?

博麗の追憶 ~ Theme of Eastern Story

Just wanted to comment on this as I think it's great anytime a Western fan contributes music. There's plenty of fan art and such from the Western community but fairly little music.

That being stated, you've got some work ahead of you. I'd say spend some time focusing on your harmonization. I listened to some of the other work you've posted and it's a bit of a consistent issue. It kind sounds like you're coming up with your harmonization by just plinking around until you can go "well that's ok I guess". I think until you get more experience, you might wanna stick to basic homophonic principals like ZUN tends to (that is, a singular strong melody laid over a clear chord structure) instead of attempting melodic polyphony like you're doing.

I hope saying that isn't too mean or discouraging. For real, keep it up!

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Kheldragar posted:

So has anyone played the Seihou games? How are they?

I actually did play enough Shuusou Gyoku to 1cc it. It's alright. Controls like a Touhou but the gameplay is somewhere between bullet hell and classic shmup so basically faster bullets that still come by the bucket at times means more dodging and less weaving in general. Graphically, it's a bit rough. It was clearly Amusement Makers' first attempt away from PC98, happening only two years after Mystic Square. Music is...well it's a ZUN soundtrack, so plenty memorable, but it's MIDI only. If you own a Roland Sound Canvas like I do (and like ZUN does) then it'll sound more similar to his other soundtracks; otherwise it'll sound like...well MIDI. Overall I thought it was pretty fun but most Touhou games are better. Didn't spend as much time with the other two. Kiou Gyoku is like Phantasmagoria of Flower View but not NEARLY as good so meh, and I just could not get into Banshiryuu (its bizarre sounding not-by-ZUN soundtrack probably had something to do with that to be honest).

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

For any game with spell practice, like IN, use spell practice.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

leather fedora posted:

In other totally cool news, I ran into and talked with ZUN today at a M3 (big doujin music event) staff barbecue. I had a friend who's a member invite me, and it turns out ZUN's wife is also a member. :v:

While talking with him about the America trip and selling his games online, it sort of hit me just what he meant by "it would be a pain" to do it. Since he likes to work by himself, even if the entire translation were handed to him, he would still have to go through each game, swap out all the text so it fits, change all the graphics, etc. I told him about other doujin makers like Platine Dispositif and EasyGameStation but even then, both circles have multiple members. And this would all interfere with his current work/drinking habits. I think that he sees that even if he were to work with a localizer, he's so hands-on that he would want to do nearly everything besides the translation and maybe the game submission business by himself.

So it all boils down to not having enough time.

So basically, he won't put in the relatively small amount of effort that would be required to make truckloads more money, simply because he's perfectly content with his life the way it is now and doesn't want to make even a small change.

I actually respect that greatly. The world would be a much better place if more people had similarly little use for easy money.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT posted:

I posted about this album a week month or two ago, it's got the Yoshika polka. Prepare yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkeOhBoW2Ww

You're getting your Central European dances mixed up I think. Polka is the one with a steady rhythm and the "oom-pah"s. This sounds more like a Czardas. </classical violin nerd>

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I wouldn't think so. What problem would that solve?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Haha, are you trying to make a suggestion?

Synthesizers are amazing these days, aren't they? I'm pretty sure I own the ones used to produce that track. Yes, even the choir. I think it's this one to be exact (check out the demos, doesn't it pretty much sound like that?)

I wonder how they went about choosing lyrics. Or what the lyrics are. It's kind of hard to make out. I know it's probably not Japanese, since EWQL's wordbuilder only really handles English or Latin phenome structure (with the Latin sounding WAY better).

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Mexican Touhou fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BPYguIlHYU

:stare:

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

This game series is terrible.

You MOTHERFUCKER

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

FYI the massive game they're doing is Tales in the Sky, which is easily amongst the wordiest jRPGs in existence.

Are you sure about that? Doesn't that already have a localization by Xseed?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

SirSlarty posted:

If this localization thing happens and there's an official English translation, I wonder if there will be support for those that own the actual physical discs.

I'm not sure how. The physical discs don't have anything like a key or a serial number attached to them. On Steam at least, they usually support physical disc owners by accepting product keys.

Not that I don't understand the frustration if you've paid several hundred dollars for all the boxes over the years being asked to pay more. But on the bright side, I'm willing to bet the digital downloads won't cost a ton.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Linking this acapella arrangement of UN Owen was Her? by some dude, its awesome and I have no idea how people do that, its witchcraft.

I can't see the video because I'm at work and youtube is disabled...but it's Smooth McGroove, isn't it? True story, I've actually hung out IRL with that guy, and have kicked it in his studio. I may have even been the guy who introduced him to Touhou. Dude lives in Mustang, Oklahoma, which is about a 30 minute drive from Oklahoma City where I used to live until last year, and we ran in the same music education circles for a little while. He's actually retired entirely from music education now, and as far as I know, making these youtube video game a capella music videos is in fact now the man's sole full-time occupation.

He does everything in Cubase, which is technically Digital Audio Workstation software, but has a surprising amount of video functionality too. It's hardly "witchcraft" from a technical perspective...if you happen to be the talented motherfucker that can pull it off.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wSXrU1FOQag

Skip to 2:00 if you don't fancy watching ZUN and his drinking buddies play A/V club. After that...oh man! What is going on here?

Apparently, as far as I can tell, the new Touhou coming out next month, the aptly named Impossible Spellcard, presents you with otherwise impossible spellcards and allows you to pick your own limited Deus Ex Machina for avoiding death, even including Aya's camera?

Also, there is speculation that it might only be a joke?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Figured this is the best place to ask this.

I wanna get into other shooters, just to see how well I do at them after being with Touhou for so long. Where do I start? I started Mars Matrix the other day and I'm already getting the hang of it, but I dunno where to go from there.

What's the popular opinion on Cave shooters?

You need to play Crimzon Clover RIGHT loving NOW!

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

FractalSandwich posted:

Is there any official map of Gensokyo anywhere? I'm using its geography as a test for something and I have to make sure I get my facts right, don't I? :v:

Nothing official but a quick google turned up this guy who claims to have cartographer as accurately as possible under the circumstances.

http://lunaticred.proboards.com/thread/1312/canon-map-gensokyo

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Suenteus Po posted:

It does seem fair to assume that someone who can't recognize QB can't recognize Kokoro from Milky Holmes, which the person in the ANN article did. One of these shows is substantially more prominent than the other.

Also the first picture posted ITT has them mispelling "Koshi", which tells me that they're just GISing. No ~true fan~ would spell Koishi's name wrong.

:goonsay:

#oishiikoishi

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Oh look, an Icicle Fall -easy- for the modern age!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCjAyEITzXQ

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Can't go wrong with games from TasoFro or Lionheart. And the second Touhouvania is quite nice as well.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

AdorableStar posted:

Sometimes I wonder how some Touhous get dressed. You know, how does Yuugi or Suika put on any shirt without it being ripped?

They never change! The only Touhou that changes clothes is Yuka.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

With House Set of Impossible Spellcard tacked to the end. Nice!

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

So which is worse, Bronies or Touhou fans?

Brohou

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I've been largely ignoring these cus I thought they're not in English. But now that it's dominated the thread for at least a solid week and several pages, I'm starting to feel left out. CAN you play these in English or do like all you guys speak Japanese or what? I don't mind playing shmups in a language I can't read, but this thing is more of an RPG isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Mazed posted:

Replace every line in every game with this and if anything, they become even more Touhou.

I really don't know what to think about this picture, but it's getting posted here anyway:

Really diggin white Jesus as Hijiri there.