Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

First up is some boring plot synopsis blah blah

"The year is 2577. In the 21st century, scientists were tasked with making Mars inhabitable by humans. To change its atmosphere, its land, to terraform the planet, if you will. Humanity chooses to accomplish this task with cockroaches and moss. Centuries later, a manned expedition sets out towards Mars, but not all goes as planned. The cockroaches from several hundred years past have evolved in a way that no human could have predicted. In a bizarre twist, human beings become the pest and the cockroaches the exterminator. Decades later, having learned from its mistake, humanity chooses to send a group of warriors to Mars to kill the rogue roaches and take back what's rightfully theirs."

I won't say this comic has it all, but it does have enough going for it that I think everyone can find something they enjoy in it.

Education. There's a lot of information about various insects and the whole terraforming process included in this comic. I'm surprised at how much I'm learning with each new chapter I read.

Suspense. It probably wouldn't have the fan base that it does without a little something else. You'll be on the edge of your seat, wondering how your favorite protagonist(s) will deal with the next trial they face.

Diversity. This comic has a decent sized cast of men and women of varying nationalities and ethnicities. I find this intriguing since it's rare to see certain races portrayed in Japanese media, and this is one comic that definitely sets a standard that others should aspire to.

Pretty art.

But don't just take my word for it! Let's see what other people have to say!

In the 2013 "This Manga Is Awesome!" male demographic rankings, our very own Terra ForMars came in at number 1![1][2] It also received a nomination for the 2013 "Manga Taisho"![1][2]

Where to read it? Kissmanga works. I'm linking them because I prefer just scrolling down to a new page rather than having to click, but there's also other places like Batoto. Just noticed that kissmanga is missing some chapters from volume 2, my bad. Gonna link other stuff instead

:ducksiren:
Batoto Chapter 1
Mangafox Chapter 1
:ducksiren:

Make sure to keep ADTRW spoiler rules in mind. Since it seems as if this comic will start being released entire volumes at a time in the future, it might help to label the specific chapter you're talking about to avoid ruining any big surprises!

bofa salesman fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Volume 4 was just translated recently, so I may as well link the first chapter from it.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I can see definitely the homo erectus thing, but I still find some of the imagery in certain instances a little suspect. Like with this pic
vol 1 ch 4 spoilers
A picture is in this spoiler bar
Homo erectus inspiration for the roach? Sure. But what is the roach doing and how is it doing it?

Then there's just the way some scenes are framed. Like some of the scenes when a bunch of cockroaches are surrounding some defenseless woman. I mean, is it possible I'm just projecting some of the racist rear end "protect the white woman from the blacks" narratives from early american cinema onto this comic? Probably pretty likely yeah. But it makes it funny as hell to me. It's not like any of the people who do this are hating on the comic or anything.

But it all goes back to what I said in the op. Everyone can find something they like in this comic. Let the projectors project. Let the people who do google searches and go "oh this explains a lot now" search google. Let the bug nerds geek out like every chapter. Other than a bunch of jokes about racism and I think just one (1) argument early on in the seinen thread, pretty much everyone else in the thread was talking about everything else the comic has to offer. No reason it can't be the same here.

And some words about the most recent volume. Spoilers for volume 4 up to chapter 24

The whole diving beetle/locust fight against Michelle and w/e the dude's name was pretty great. I was just reading along anticipating another gruesome death and they just manage to do a complete reversal. Or the dude does, I guess. The fact that Michelle didn't just go from winning to dead in one panel probably should have clued me in that something was a little off.

Doesn't change too much though. Still got 6 chapters left to read so I pretty much know they're gonna die. Only question is how.

One question I did have about that fight was if the two roaches were an actual diving beetle and locust or just another new roach evolution? Don't answer if it's answered in a later chapter~

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

RatHat posted:

Did you not read volume 1? It's made pretty clear that the roaches have stolen the abilities of the crew of Bugs2. The diving beetle guy must've been one of the crew that was killed before he showed off his power, but the locust guy was a main character.

Yeah. I feel mad stupid right now since they just revealed the whole stealing bugs surgery abilities thing a volume ago so I have no idea how I forgot about it in only a week or two. Or however long it's been. Whoops

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Only two chapters into the latest volume but there's already so much crap that has me laughing way too hard. The new insect that gets two pages of introduction and then immediately dies, the car full of roaches just rolling up to the fight, Adolf giving roaches the finger as he electrocutes them. This is too good.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Oh man I got so pumped when team Japanamerica got reunited. It wasn't as good as GIANT HORNET, but close enough.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Pretty big vol 7 chapter 60 spoilers

loving russians are the kings of fake outs. I spent like a good half minute just staring at my monitor cuz I just could not believe that they killed giant asian hornet man. Then the next few pages happened. Ughhhh

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Oh man this is gonna be good. Is there an expected release date for it or anything?

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Finally getting around to reading through the newest volume

67kg (pre-pregnancy), tragedy, tragedy, F cup by russian standards. Terra formars still got it

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Ended up just grabbing the paperback. Won't be able to check it out for a few days though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Kinda forgot about volume 9 being out for a little bit. Happy birthday michelle :unsmith:

• Locked thread