Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I guess this is the part where I mention that the terraformers were pretty clearly modeled after the first google image search result for homo erectus, and then get promptly ignored because I'm not pointing out how hilariously racist the manga is or something. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is that what you get? I've always gotten the same one that's on the English wikipedia page. Oh well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Petiso posted:

I thought the very first crew didn't undergo any surgery? Or am I misremembering?

He's talking about Bugs 2, not Bugs 1. And why is this being spoiler tagged?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Annex 1 has some of the raddest animals but they die the most anticlimactic deaths. I'm waiting for the day that they all die and then they make an Annex 2 composed entirely of just Australian wildlife-people and the manga ends a chapter later.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

If you want to say the manga has racism in it even without the roaches, fine. There is plenty of nationalistic stereotyping among the cast and some debatable NIPPON STRONG glorification. But what sexism? The costumes and bodytypes of the females aren't even a blip compared to 90% of entertainment in general, let alone manga specifically. I don't remember a single instance of patronizing or infantilization of any female cast member. I guess there was one misogynistic incident but I think focusing on the "demonization" of the high school girl and ignoring the male teacher's mutual role in the exploitation of the character with the false rape claim is taking the wrong message from that scene. They're both guilty parties and they're both taking advantage of an innocent person to cover up their crime.

There's virtually zero sexual exploitation in this manga, no gender bias in the violence against the heroes or in the assignment of combat or non-combat roles within the heroe's team... I mean, if this manga is sexist, I don't know what isn't. Please feel free to explain.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that with the exception of Michelle, no woman has done anything worthwhile. Even in the badass Russian team, the woman was one of the only two casualties. There's also the fact that (untranslated content spoiler) Isabella, the tough woman on Team Germany, also goes down in pretty much the exact same way that the Russian woman does, and also the bit where (also untranslated content spoiler) it's revealed that his child doesn't have a mosaic organ, since it's another man's baby.

I don't know if I quire agree that it's sexist per se, since men go out as easily as women do in this series, but I do see how you could get that impression very easily.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Dickeye posted:

On the other hand I'm pretty sure there's a shark dude.

Sorry to disappoint you. He's actually an orca dude.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Broniki posted:

There's a couple of people working in anime/manga called Johji. Is there a particular reason for it (a western parent?) or is the name George just popular in Japan for some reason? Or is it a pen name?

It's one of those names that became popular in Japan following the second world war, and is at this point internalized to the point of sometimes being written in kanji (i.e. 麻里安 for Maria, 譲治 for Jouji/George).

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I'm pretty convinced that this was done on purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ICQOX70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Simply golden

• Locked thread