Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Centuria had an insanely good opening chapter, trying to think of a better pilot in recent memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tosk posted:

Centuria had an insanely good opening chapter, trying to think of a better pilot in recent memory

See, I felt like it wasn't a particularly special opening chapter, even if it was a good one-shot. We get backstory and powers for the lead, but at the end, we only have one real character, and no idea what his story is going to be like. Everyone else except the baby and the monster is dead, and the hook at the end is weak.

Compare to Astro Baby, which has a similar setup in terms of relevant surviving characters, and you get much more of an objective, clear enemies, and a setting that allows for easy access to supporting cast, enemies, and adventures, on top of a strong ending hook. I'd say that's a stronger opening already this year, even if Centuria would be better as a one-off.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Where is Centuria published? I’m not seeing it on the Jump app.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Manga Plus

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mumbling posted:

This week’s Anemone wasn’t fantastic or anything, but not having the main protagonist show up at all helped a lot.
I usually love me a series where humans and other animals have merged and the author is going to stop mid-fight to infodump some animal kingdom trivia. But I still don't think Dear Anemone is hitting any of good points. Maybe things can turn up now that we have two other people that aren't going to hilariously and pointlessly die in a few panels.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I usually love me a series where humans and other animals have merged and the author is going to stop mid-fight to infodump some animal kingdom trivia. But I still don't think Dear Anemone is hitting any of good points. Maybe things can turn up now that we have two other people that aren't going to hilariously and pointlessly die in a few panels.

I think part of the problem is that it’s too self-serious. Whereas something like the Chimera Ant arc in Hunter X Hunter, while very dark, actually has fun with the animal-people concepts.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

See, I felt like it wasn't a particularly special opening chapter, even if it was a good one-shot. We get backstory and powers for the lead, but at the end, we only have one real character, and no idea what his story is going to be like. Everyone else except the baby and the monster is dead, and the hook at the end is weak.

Compare to Astro Baby, which has a similar setup in terms of relevant surviving characters, and you get much more of an objective, clear enemies, and a setting that allows for easy access to supporting cast, enemies, and adventures, on top of a strong ending hook. I'd say that's a stronger opening already this year, even if Centuria would be better as a one-off.

I finally got around to finishing Centuria yesterday. I felt the opening pages were very strong, but I agree with this assessment. We’re now in that weird void where we don’t know where this is going. A lot like Earthchild. Where the first chapter was pretty interesting with a lot of potential directions and it picked all of them and none of them.
In this case there’s no clear goal other than “keep kid safe” except there’s no one after the child. So it’s already safe by sheer technicality.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I think part of the problem is that it’s too self-serious. Whereas something like the Chimera Ant arc in Hunter X Hunter, while very dark, actually has fun with the animal-people concepts.
Being self serious works for me, but I think my main issue is the lack of interesting characters and how fast the story feels like it's advancing to me. As janky as it became, Terraformars started off self-serious as well. Yet it took a somewhat similar setup and made it more engaging through its characters and worldbuilding. There was the doomed first mission of highly trained astronauts being ambushed by an unknown threat. Those characters were paper thin but at least it ended on the indomitable will of humanity which is a major theme within the story. Then you had the first volume which consists of the entire 2nd mission with far less qualified characters in it for money being sent in afterwards. But the plight of several members of the BUGS-2 crew are what sold me on that story. Even though everyone presented are well-worn archetypes I think they still work when put together. The Captain is just a good guy all around trying to create a better world for his daughter, Komachi has his friend who also volunteered and who he's protected since childhood, and Ichiro highlights how desperate Earth has become due to overpopulation, climate issues, and the unfairness of society as it cost him the educational prospects to support his own family. Besides them you had Thein and Ming who are both there to further reinforce a couple of recurring elements to the story. There are other members of the crew and they all really just exist to die off one way or another, but for a single volume it gets you drawn in for the main mission that is the ANNEX arc. And lays a solid foundation for what is to come. I've mentioned it before, but the first two chapters of Hell's Paradise similarly establish the two main characters and lays the groundwork for their development, as well as solidifying a reason for going to that island.

One reason I'm still convinced Anemone has been planned as a much shorter series is because of how flat everything is. 3 chapters in and we are knocking on the door to the main objective. The MC has a greater control of Anemone's merging and she herself has more or less just fallen in line despite initially being presented as fully self serving. And the first of the major antagonists showed up and gave her speech on why she's angry. If this goes on longer than a few volumes I'll be surprised. Even for this kind of B-movie plot, setup and execution are important. The story can't just coast on fights which also aren't that great and all of which end very quickly.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It could always be angling for something like Parasyte where it goes into the implications of all this after it's out in the open.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Two Undead Unluck thoughts:

I hope things stay stable enough to have Void and Andy meet because I'm pretty sure those two look shockingly similar to each other?

Second one is current chapter spoilers. Surely this fight is the one where Feng unlocks the fourth form of the Zuishin Tekkan Rod after that gets summoned into the fight for him right?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Gachiakuta

:allears: I'm honestly kind of glad the Hell Guard's answer to Givers is super mundane, just shoot them. Yeah she has swords as well and we know her brother trained with a staff weapon. But maybe only 1 giver so far could qualify as bullet proof and only when their tool is active.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new watamote

this most recent chapter(222.2) provides a level of cringe that I haven't gotten from this series in a long, long time. vintage watamote cringe, if you will.

tomoko's friend group becoming increasingly insane while tomoki continues to just be a normal guy increasingly irritated from being surrounded by insane people is one of my favorite parts of this manga

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Watamote has been super fun what with Tomoko getting popular and not noticing it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Catching up on Kagurabachi and its kinda hitting. I really like the way the author does action and while the characters feel very vector drawing tool designed in still \ talking panels, the actual action pages have a lot of cool or gorgeous art going on.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://x.com/WSJ_manga/status/1778259432650272919

looks like Two On Ice has melted

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rip two on ice, it wasn't great but I don't think it was as bad as people say

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ouch. Did it at least get to wrap up whatever it was going for?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Didn't hate it, but didn't get into it either. It just felt like it didn't know what to do at times from little I gleaned from it.

As an aside, someone picked up Medalist for scanlations again and they've done 37 and 37.5 with intention to keep going until someone else steps up. The series is also up for another run at the Kodansha awards.

48th Annual Kodansha Awards Nominees Announced

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jerkface posted:

Catching up on Kagurabachi and its kinda hitting. I really like the way the author does action and while the characters feel very vector drawing tool designed in still \ talking panels, the actual action pages have a lot of cool or gorgeous art going on.

I'm still confused why people were so down on it before it started.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

In this case, I'm people.

The thing that stood out to me about it was how it never let the art speak for itself. Almost very single page was packed to the brim with text explaining everything, from the sport to the emotions of everyone to what's happening next in the plot. Manga is a visual medium, and the art isn't bad, so put some weight on it.

It also really depends on the viewers getting into songs that they only get as text on a page for the emotional payoff, which is really shaky ground. It's not even something where knowing the tone is enough (like a fight scene set to Maximum the Hormone), but much more based in the specifics, to the point of a title drop. Add in a sport that isn't even popular in-setting (to the point where the protagonists just get medals by default), and it's not hard to see why it didn't perform.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Electric Phantasm posted:

I don't think people were down as such but just didn't have much expectation as it was another urban fantasy series that revolved around swords with swirly effects, and the main character being an edgy tragic badass which can easily go wrong. It proved it had it's own style and direction pretty fast, regardless of the Kagurabros shitposting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

People weren't even down on it so much as they were shitposting in general, if I remember right. Some dumb video thumbnail had "the new big three of Jump!", with Kagurabachi as one of them before it had even come out, so people started making exaggerated sarcastic memes about how great Kagurabachi was to parody that.

Then it came out and it was actually pretty decent, so the meme got legs from people going "ha ha read Kagurabachi, it's the greatest of all time (but no, seriously, it's worth reading, check it out)".

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

chiasaur11 posted:

The thing that stood out to me about it was how it never let the art speak for itself. Almost very single page was packed to the brim with text explaining everything, from the sport to the emotions of everyone to what's happening next in the plot. Manga is a visual medium, and the art isn't bad, so put some weight on it.

being too wordy is definitely a death knell for a manga. I remember Ayashimon being very cool and funny but it just got so wordy that reading it felt like a chore.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

UnderFreddy posted:

being too wordy is definitely a death knell for a manga. I remember Ayashimon being very cool and funny but it just got so wordy that reading it felt like a chore.

Honestly, it's a miracle Cipher Academy lasted as long as it did

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Shinji2015 posted:

Honestly, it's a miracle Cipher Academy lasted as long as it did

It helps to have a cast of cute girls.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SpacePig posted:

It helps to have a cast of cute girls.

And an author who'd already had a bunch of big successes. That's also a factor.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I’m beginning to think the author of Astro Baby has a thing for pregnant women

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

RatHat posted:

As long as the manga keeps being as interesting as it's been, he can keep writing in his kink.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the baby pulled a kewpie

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

RatHat posted:

I thought you might have been exaggerating, but, uh, you might be on to something there.

The Game Devil: I honestly thought this series was going to end weeks ago, but it just keeps chugging along

gift of poison: I feel like this whole situation could be easily resolved, but then we wouldn't have a plot

Machi and Oboro: not a terrible start, but it feels like this one is going to take a while to get going

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Undead Unluck: I have a feeling that summoning sentient things (whether they are real or not) into the game make it so that you take their damage whenever the summoned living thing takes damage

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The Game Devil is weird. The art is pretty poor, the commitment to the idea of being in a game dropped almost immediately outside of some lip service paid to it, its understanding of how the games industry works is... lacking to say the least, but there is also a nugget of a compelling arc for the protagonist, the central cast gravitating around him and the villain. But it also feels extremely rushed? And yet as the poster previously pointed out, it's not so rushed that it has ended already and who knows how long it'll keep going at this point.

Just a strange manga that I wouldn't be surprised was a victim of both the mangaka's inexperience and the attempt to receive feedback from their editor and course correct. It was never as solid as it should have been, but you can see faded contours of a better story that played with the same ideas.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rushed and not rushed. Rocks fall everyone dies but then also heres two multi chapter flashbacks back to back
SJ+ Titles on the brink are weird.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’m enjoying existential unplugged, the philosopher reverse isekai, quite a bit

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Didn't expect to have that much fun with philosophy ikemen. Hope to see true greek OGs rocking out at as some point in all their glory.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I have a new one to suggest, Tank Chair. It's been pretty entertaining to read but I am extremely bad at giving summaries to interest other people. I think the art is neat and it has an interesting premise to it on top of a variety of combat wheelchair forms.

https://mangadex.org/title/bb1f528f-de51-4b58-9878-c7ab55dd73c0/tank-chair

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah Tank chair is good. Unfortunately it seems scanlations have stopped. Apparently there’s an official English version but it’s US only

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

There's another website that you want to have an adblocker for that keeps uploading the new chapters, official releases be damned but I don't know if that would be okay to share or not.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sakamoto Days: ive kinda wondered this ever since the orphanage Slur/Uzuki came from is full of people with weird powers, but Akao being self-aware about being a split personality made by him to protect him makes me think that Uzuki was some sort of esper that assimilated the actual Akao’s memories into himself before she died so it’s really her in that sense.

Also man Akao is just great in general.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Undead Unluck with a character poll I can't really disagree with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Undead Unluck with a character poll I can't really disagree with.

No idea how Tatiana got that high up considering she hasn't appeared in a hot minute, but hell, same