Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

doomrider7 posted:

Not canned or likely the worst, but Two on Ice isn't looking too good for a litany of reasons.

Odd it outlived MMA, but I guess MMA's numbers were just that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

But I liked The Last Saiyuki!

I didn’t hate it and read it till the end. But it was very forgettable.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

Wonder if it's being carried harder due to it being an ice skating manga vs an MMA one.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Dawgstar posted:

MMA also started, like, 3 months earlier, so it was just ahead on the chopping block. There's still room for Two On Ice to end at about 30 chapters.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

are either catanaccio or days of diamond worth following?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They must be expecting the Kaiju No 8 anime to do well because it is getting a same day dub and a literal simultaneous sub airing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Assuming it is well animated it's pretty easy to see Kaiju doing well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

They must be expecting the Kaiju No 8 anime to do well because it is getting a same day dub and a literal simultaneous sub airing.

It's also getting a lot of merch right at launch. Multiple model kits, Figurarts, whole thing.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I still don't quite get how big it got and the amount of push. Like it's good all around, but the adaption and push look enormous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

I still don't quite get how big it got and the amount of push. Like it's good all around, but the adaption and push look enormous.

It's a simple and straightforward appealing concept. Also the protagonist is an actual adult and at least in the western fandoms "I want anime protagonists who are adults" tends to get yell a lot. As mentioned it's entirely competent and with budget behind it 'competent' can become 'great.' Look at Demon Slayer

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

CodfishCartographer posted:

IDK if it's the worst, but Time Paradox Ghostwriter will always be my most hated because it had such an amazingly strong start and a premise with tons of potential then just flushed it all down the toilet. It's definitely not the lowest quality or most bland, but it's maybe the most disappointing manga I've ever read in jump.

It was so interesting listening to the Shonen Flop episode on Ghostwriter since the hosts had the opposite opinion of like 99% of the people who have read it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ghostwriter was funny because I don't recall a lot of bad western reception to it- but the Japanese reception was *awful*, because a big chunk of readers there believed the MC was just straight up doing plagiarism.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I do not have a lot of memory reserved to unthrills but I vaguely remember there was a fair bit of hand-wringing about the matter.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 29, 2024

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Fabricated posted:

Ghostwriter was funny because I don't recall a lot of bad western reception to it- but the Japanese reception was *awful*, because a big chunk of readers there believed the MC was just straight up doing plagiarism.

I mean he was, but a good writer could use that as a jumping off point for his character development. Have him learn and grow as a person, have him struggle with imposter syndrome, there's a ton of directions you could go with it. But instead we just had a million time skips that jumped over everything that could have possibly been interesting.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'll say this much, if Shojo Null pulls off what I think it's trying to then it'll certainly be quite the thing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I mean he was, but a good writer could use that as a jumping off point for his character development. Have him learn and grow as a person, have him struggle with imposter syndrome, there's a ton of directions you could go with it. But instead we just had a million time skips that jumped over everything that could have possibly been interesting.

Like a certain Rakugo manga that’s quite popular? Have a character learn and grow constantly?

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'll say this much, if Shojo Null pulls off what I think it's trying to then it'll certainly be quite the thing.

Yeah…I have little faith. But this could be interesting at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shojo Null at least appears to having fun swinging for the fences so I'll give it that.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Super Psychic Police Chojo:

I was going to write this one off, but the latest chapter actually pulled off a punchline it sets up over a couple of chapter while also having an earnest, poignant moment.

Nonetheless, overall, it is just an alright cutesy gag manga, but at least there is some semblance of promise.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

For Jump+ it would be vibration man.

I still don't know what Vibration Man was thinking when it included that "the government put something in our children's vaccines!" plot point, especially when it was written in 2023. And then it included other stuff like the secret government organization having a military arm calling itself "Troops Supporting Heroes", or the main character's mentor rant about gun control and how this equates to their secret organization not being respected by criminals lmao.

doomrider7 posted:

I always thought Kaiju #8 was rather mid so I get your confusion why it's getting so much push. I stopped reading it after it gave the mega-strong childhood friend a serious fight, only for her to get nerfed with "actually, she's only amazing as a sniper", and then proceeds to get worfed after the fight ended to act as bait for the MC.

The other thing that makes Ghostwriter so hateable is how it treated the plagiarism victim. She constantly acts as if the MC is such an inspiration to her despite him lying to her face. And then we got to the reveal on why the MC had to steal her work, and it was a plot by a time-traveling voice from the void to save her because she overworks herself to death? And it isn't even a commentary on how the manga industry or Jump editorial that gives mangaka health problems. Ghostwriter says it's all because the plagiarism victim is too unhinged about drawing and can't be reasoned with. Hell, the void voice even talks about having her committed to an asylum, but she just makes things so difficult. It's very victim-blamey and the way it wants to justify the MC ending her career by using the frozen time to draw the bestest manga ever to discourage her was loving gross.

Ghostwriter's other problem is that despite being a series about making manga, it never spends any time on nitty-gritty of creating manga. There's never a sense of passion or fun with how the MC engages with his main craft, which might have been interesting if it were handled by a better writer.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

amigolupus posted:

I always thought Kaiju #8 was rather mid so I get your confusion why it's getting so much push. I stopped reading it after it gave the mega-strong childhood friend a serious fight, only for her to get nerfed with "actually, she's only amazing as a sniper", and then proceeds to get worfed after the fight ended to act as bait for the MC.

I really liked it early on but then it completely lost my interest when Monster 9 pulled ~8 numbered monsters out of his rear end to hard-counter all of the squad captains/vice captains. And all the ‘hard counter’ monsters all immediately jobbed and lost anyway. Well immediately is the wrong word since it took like 3 weeks for some of the fights but you get what I mean. It just felt incredibly pointless.

Maybe it could’ve been pulled off okay in a later arc since that a) might’ve been able to sell the idea that this took this prep work from Monster 9, b) might’ve given these side characters more time to grow so you actually cared about their fights.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Elite posted:

I really liked it early on but then it completely lost my interest when Monster 9 pulled ~8 numbered monsters out of his rear end to hard-counter all of the squad captains/vice captains. And all the ‘hard counter’ monsters all immediately jobbed and lost anyway. Well immediately is the wrong word since it took like 3 weeks for some of the fights but you get what I mean. It just felt incredibly pointless.

Maybe it could’ve been pulled off okay in a later arc since that a) might’ve been able to sell the idea that this took this prep work from Monster 9, b) might’ve given these side characters more time to grow so you actually cared about their fights.

amigolupus posted:

I can't recall these moments. I dropped off a little after MC got busted and discovered as Kaiju #8. I remember they introduced some guy with a giant shank or something and had messy hair who became the trainer of the angry girl. Series wasn't bad, but always more felt like a decent solid B series. The push it's getting feels much bigger ditto for the studio its been passed to.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

That was kinda the impression I got from western reception to it too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Astro Baby: This isn't gonna end well

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hey new series

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1020841

What if Kierkegaard reincarnated in modern Japan and became a musician? Well,

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ranger Reject: It's D-Time!!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The Pension Life Vampire:

This manga finished a couple of weeks ago, and it is a prime example of not how to incorporate fantastical characters in a slice of life story using a mundane modern human society setting.

Part of why Kobayashi and RuriDragon (so far) succeeds is that there is a sense of mystery or dimensionality behind each character, whether they are human or not. Not everyone or every relationship appear as they seem, and as the story progresses, new perspectives can be revealed about who someone is or the rules of the world. Unfortunately with Pension Life Vampire, most character and their relationships are pretty obvious from the get-go or get revealed very early on. Nothing of significance about who they are or the world around them changes afterwards. The only character who ever had a sense of mystery behind is Nica, and the mangaka realized that he would need to reveal her backstory before ending the manga. For what Pension Life Vampire is, the manga is an alright slice of life story, but a full and longer slice of story story that utilizes the combination of high fantasy and human modernity needs to have more layers to their characters or the world.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Terper posted:

Hey new series

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1020841

What if Kierkegaard reincarnated in modern Japan and became a musician? Well,

I think he would have Things To Say about modern journalism.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

panko posted:

are either catanaccio or days of diamond worth following?

i think they're both quite fun in different ways. The protagonists in both are pretty crazy. One is not talented but insanely driven in an insane way and the other is just insanely talented and faces hardships through that immense talent. They're fun sports mangas.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Undead Unluck: RIP this chapter's translator

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

akane-banashi has vaulted extremely high up my reading order. its been hitting so good as of late

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

was about to post the same. praying for them

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Arist posted:

It seems like an insane fight to write to begin with.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haha christ. That poor translator

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

It seems like an insane fight to write to begin with.

Yeah, idk how well known the Ainu language is even in Japan, and this is just the opening part. By the time we finish i feel like there’s definitely gonna be a half dozen languages used god Undead Unluck got so good, glad people kept gassing it up

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

that summer in the burmese highlands coming in clutch right about now

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Arist posted:

We will remember his sacrifice.

Very cool strategy in this one as well. Basically undead unluck good.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Blue Box: Gotta be real, I wasn't expecting that to happen

Red Cat Ramen: what an rear end in a top hat :mad:

Nue Exorcist: look, introduce the next girl so we can move past this sister arc, jfc

Two On Ice: I've said it before, but this manga is fine when it's actually focusing on figure skating. It's everything outside of that where it falls apart

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Red Cat Ramen: what an rear end in a top hat :mad:
Seriously, what a dick. At least a decent guy showed up in the end.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Heart Gear: It doesn't get any focus this chapter. But I just know the chef android, like the Barber, was positively pleased someone finally needed his services. Probably playing "Be our Guest" on repeat as he prepared that meal.

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: The witches really are way too lax when it comes to being magical terrorists. Further hinting that Dante and Vergil's relationship was more than just peers at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Brought To You By posted:

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: The witches really are way too lax when it comes to being magical terrorists. Further hinting that Dante and Vergil's relationship was more than just peers at the time.

Oh, definitely.

Also, gotta say... that was a... fun chapter, which really feels weird to say about this manga.

Goze Hotaru: well, I'm sure that this no men rule will never come up again, no chance