Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I looked at Twin Star Exorcists and it genuinely feels like the artist is in a competition with themselves to figure out costumes that are as close to being naked as possible without going over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://x.com/wsj_manga/status/1775766015084826775?s=46&t=pvpF05Th-z9dFyQ8s8vauQ

Not really surprising given its volume sales numbers.:rip:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Yeah, after the last chapter I figured there was maybe a few left at best.

Honestly it got more chapters than I expected it was going to

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

RIP, I'll be sad to see it go. There were occasional moments of brilliant panelling and I quite liked the art as a whole. I hope the author has better luck next time.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Conversely:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1775856880364949827?t=5ycKtQKYZp_fsL3b_89ZiQ&s=19

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1775857186029162911?s=20

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hmm, I need a new protagonist for my next manga. What if I fused my previous protagonists? Delightfully devilish, Fusai!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Hmm, I need a new protagonist for my next manga. What if I fused my previous protagonists? Delightfully devilish, Fusai!

I’m surprised they gave him a second chance.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

drat, we're really going to use a slot chasing sloppy seconds?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

haypliss posted:

drat, we're really going to use a slot chasing sloppy seconds?

It's probably a good move to poach the author from a different publisher and try and chase the bag given how monstrously popular Tokyo Revengers wound up becoming (and WSJ is in dire need of a new big title now that MHA and JJK are ending very, very soon)....but yeah I have less than zero interest in Negai no Astro given how terrible I thought Tokyo Revengers was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A part of me genuinely wonders if MHA and JJK were asked to stretch as long as they can, but I imagine it's just standard shonen endgame burnout.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I’m surprised they gave him a second chance.

I kind of liked Alien Arena despite it being super generic.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I didn't. It was IMHO the most generic series in Jump until Ice Headed Gil came along. That being said, maybe he has a killer idea this time. :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure Aliens Arena was dead from the moment he thought he could somehow give the protagonist Luffy's power with no visual changes whatsoever in the first chapter, even if he tried to walk it back.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Aliens Area was a cool idea but the dialog/translation felt kind of weird and its power system was kinda undercooked. They had an alien assassin with the most dripless lightsaber in the world; it had a loving spiral phone cord with a fanny pack.

It kinda messed up the idea of doing pseudo-realism with its alien tech. It should've just ripped off Men in Black a bit more for that.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Fabricated posted:

They had an alien assassin with the most dripless lightsaber in the world; it had a loving spiral phone cord with a fanny pack.

Nah, this is cool. Anyway the only part I'd particularly praise is when they meet the alien sympathizer in that bar and start making some cracks in both the terrorist and government orgs, but it was already on the cancellation track at that point.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Still much better numbers than Two on Ice. Betting that's gone next.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Two on Ice definitely has the feel that its only got two chapters left

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Whenever a shonen jump series glosses over a training arc or one of its first big fights, it is usually a telltale sign that the editor said that the series is on the chopping block, and it either needs to get to the good parts now or it should reach some satisfying ending before it gets cut.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It also seems like if it introduces a ton of side characters at once it's fishing for someone to be popular.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Skeleton Double

Now that's thinking with portals! :blastu: Haven't felt that good since the mirror mage in 'Bugle's call

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ImpAtom posted:

A part of me genuinely wonders if MHA and JJK were asked to stretch as long as they can, but I imagine it's just standard shonen endgame burnout.

Yeah they both feel like they're at their natural endpoints, especially JJK, it's just the recent modern trend of so many action shonen series ending with long, tedious, drawn out conclusions to make the villains feel more threatening and to give all the characters something to do.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'll definitely be interested in Horikoshi's next work, it just feels like he realised that MHA was progressing at an absolutely glacial pace for what was meant to be three school years and had to massively accelerate it after the hospital raid arc. Hopefully he learns to pace it better from the beginning next time.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Considering what he seemed to be the most passionate about in the last third of MHA, it will probably feature a lot of muscular women.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Considering what he seemed to be the most passionate about in the last third of MHA, it will probably feature a lot of muscular women.

Horikoshi, the MMA guy, and the Red Hood guy team up for a premiseless manga about muscular women just flexing and crushing things. A handful of pretty men are included as set dressing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi should just go to another magazine that will give him a schedule that won't kill him and probably a blank check creatively if he ever wants to make another manga

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

a lot of muscular women dying or being maimed in some way

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Julias posted:

Yeah they both feel like they're at their natural endpoints, especially JJK, it's just the recent modern trend of so many action shonen series ending with long, tedious, drawn out conclusions to make the villains feel more threatening and to give all the characters something to do.

If anything I think JJK needed more time to work with some of the elements it introduced in the current arc. So the end result is some rushed developments and outright forgotten plot threads.

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

So is the U-19 club now the U-29 club?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SpacePig posted:

Horikoshi, the MMA guy, and the Red Hood guy team up for a premiseless manga about muscular women just flexing and crushing things. A handful of pretty men are included as set dressing.

Totsuka breaks down the door moments before they start the first draft

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

PirateZim posted:

So is the U-19 club now the U-29 club?

no, they're two separate clubs

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

U-19 is a special club reserved for only the true elite who can gracelessly faceplant right out of the gate.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I looked at Twin Star Exorcists and it genuinely feels like the artist is in a competition with themselves to figure out costumes that are as close to being naked as possible without going over.

I think he got it with the King and Queen of the Kegare.
I can’t wait to see them speedrunning conceiving, having and raising a baby in 77 days. It’s no doubt going to be less amusing than I’m imagining.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I missed U19 what was the big deal with it that made it so infamous?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

How can you even compare JJK's endgame to something like Naruto or Bleach? The bloat is nowhere near that bad yet.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

I missed U19 what was the big deal with it that made it so infamous?

It was shite.

More specifically it was a stand battle clone where the setting was "what if the alt(?) right were nazis and were trying to breed kids into making Japan great again."

Also- and appologies if I am misremembering- its first arc villain, an abusive gym teacher, was defeated by framed for a sexual assult on a male student.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Tosk posted:

How can you even compare JJK's endgame to something like Naruto or Bleach? The bloat is nowhere near that bad yet.

a lot of people forget how awful Naruto and Bleach were.

I'm often shocked at how loved Bleach is on reddit or twitter. Guess it's the kids who grew up watching it?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fabricated posted:

Horikoshi should just go to another magazine that will give him a schedule that won't kill him and probably a blank check creatively if he ever wants to make another manga

i understand WSJ is where the big money is but its kind of wild to me that someone with a hugely popular series wouldn't move to a monthly magazine with less commitment. Like Dai Dark is drawn 100% by Hayashida Q as was Dorohedoro but its why its only like 20 pages each month. Which is totally fine imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

I think he got it with the King and Queen of the Kegare.
I can’t wait to see them speedrunning conceiving, having and raising a baby in 77 days. It’s no doubt going to be less amusing than I’m imagining.

It is sort of fun to think about how many shonen protagonists are dads/moms now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It is sort of fun to think about how many shonen protagonists are dads/moms now.

In epilogues/sequels:
  • Naruto
  • Ichigo

As part of the main story:
  • Goku
  • Taiyo/Mutsumi

I'm sure there are others, but I'm not thinking of them off the top of my head. Unless Woble calling Kurapica Dada counts?